Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

12th of April ������ people are living in fantasy land

How is the irish lockdown going to be finished before other European countries in the thick of it

They have to put a date on these things, we all know its going to go on longer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

pgj2015 wrote: »
    there are no buses in a lot of rural areas.

Well there are cars. Everyone rurally has them. What's the problem here.

Live rurally, your choice to spread this thing or not. Same as everywhere else.

Personal responsibility needs to be hammered home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

bekker wrote: »
    No, the power-that-be haven't worked it out yet.

Suspect it's way down the list of things they haven't worked out yet.

Yes they have. See links already posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Nermal wrote: »
    The reason a 2KM limit is attracting criticism is because it's transparently a figure picked from thin air, merely because a figure had to be given.

France implimented a 2km rule 7 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

con747 wrote: »
    And do what?

Why do you care so much?

Like be honest here - why can't you just follow the rules like everyone else?

Why not respect the Garda - they have a tough job to do nowadays - with all sort of crap going on - they don't need you or anyone else trying to be smart on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I wonder what all the attention seekers who were wearing the gloves and masks will do now for attention?

one guy i know usually goes for 1 walk a day, i saw him at least 6 times walking one day last week, its important for some people to prove how great they are by following the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭con747

BoatMad wrote: »
    Then yiu drive , taxi , walk or have it delivered , what’s your point

Well if you live miles from a shop and have no car please explain how you go to the shop. Taxi's cost money. not all shops in all locations deliver. That is my point. You will have to hope people can and will assist you. Tell that to the elderly who are afraid tonight.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Monumental

Gael23 wrote: »
    I think it’s a step too far taking away people’s freedom

It's a given so that you have no grandparents ,parents ,siblings or friends .Grow up !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Why is it so hard for people to do just do what they are told?

Bus are only running for those who need them to get to essential service work - like nurses/doctors and all the rest. They are not for joe soap to take a wander into town for a look around.

You'd swear that the government are asking to say goodbye to your loves ones, because they are sending you out to fight ISIS...

All anyone is asking is for you stay at home...

Why is is it so hard for people to not get their knickers in a twist ?

That is very long post you made considering you didn’t have the answers to my questions. Nothing better to do except bitch and moan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Monumental

Gael23 wrote: »
    I think it’s a step too far taking away people’s freedom

It's a given so that you have no grandparents ,parents ,siblings or friends .Grow up !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Most likely no one using the word knows.

Like lockdown, backstop, etc.

It is like the Emperor's New Clothes. Everyone goes along with the auld buzzwords

Yeah backstop; never quiet got that one but I tuned out of Brexit at the end of 2018!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I wonder what all the attention seekers who were wearing the gloves and masks will do now for attention?

one guy i know usually goes for 1 walk a day, i saw him at least 6 times walking one day last week, its important for some people to prove how great they are by following the rules.

Jesus christ maybe they are scared or compromised, maybe it's not about impressing you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Bob24 wrote: »
    Rents might not rise in absolute terms but they will rise in percentage of disposable income.

I fail to see the relevance of that.
    I actually think helicopter money will happen as politically it is a very easy sale (“give the money to the people instead of giving it to the rich”). And to be clear I perfectly understand that feeling and indeed agree QE, low rates, repo operations all benefit to people with expensive assets. But while it will feel good at first I am convinced it will not serve “the people” in the end as it will destroy the value of currency and thus of their savings and pensions; while never really helping them because as I said the value of money is relative to what others have so if everyone gets more no one really has more purchasing power.

It is highly unlikely that the "value" of large currencies will be destroyed. The US has a broad money supply of 15,438,700,000,000. The Euro M3 is 13,147,011,000,000. Throwing a few billion into current accounts would make little difference. In fact the money supply falls in a recession over time as people earn less and pay back loans, if they can.

There isn't much difference anyway, in a government borrowing a few billion and giving it in rent subsidy and those bonds then being monetized by QE, compared to doing it directly. The transmission mechanism is just faster with helicopter money but money is being printed anyway.

Your assumption that 1000 euro per month given to everybody would cause an equivalent price increase equal to 1000 euro across all products is unfounded, as it assumes the supply of all goods are inelastic.

edit:

We should perhaps use another thread for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Holy shit, reading some of the questions regarding the new restrictions on here, you have to wonder should we be more worried of the downright stupidity of people than this fucking virus.

I mean, it's not rocket surgery, is it?

Well if you live miles from a shop and have no car please explain how you go to the shop. Taxi's cost money. not all shops in all locations deliver. That is my point. You will have to hope people can and will assist you. Tell that to the elderly who are afraid tonight.

And how the hell have these people being surviving before Covid19?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Sorry if this has been mentioned before...but I heard Dr Holohan refer to the pandemic affecting the Western World worse (something to that effect) - I didn't get what he was alluding to. Does it mean that this particular strain of SARS is affecting western society more, as in we are more susceptible - I'm thinking about diseases of the lung (I'm in remission for Sarcoidoisis - a disease that seems to affect a certain cohort, Irish, Scandinavian, Black American etc) And I'm also thinking of other illness that Western Society would have brought to areas of the world in the past unbeknownst to themselves as they may have had a higher immunity to them. Perhaps our immunity to this is unchallenged it's not just about not having a vaccine or the spread of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Stop creating edge cases, how does that person shop at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

NDWC wrote: »
    From what I've seen on social media it seems many people were treating today as if it was the August Bank Holiday weekend.

Pure and utter stupidity and selfishness.

I don't give a **** if you've got kids, stay at home!

Those of us that are actually following the recommendations will probably end up getting punished with further measures because of the actions of these *****

Posted on Sunday night

Like I said, stupid selfish cünts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭con747

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Why do you care so much?

Like be honest here - why can't you just follow the rules like everyone else?

Why not respect the Garda - they have a tough job to do nowadays - with all sort of crap going on - they don't need you or anyone else trying to be smart on the roads.

Maybe read the post i responded to before your assertions.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

Great. Now instead of driving to a place that I can run or walk whilst not coming within tens, even hundreds, of metres of other humans, I have to walk or run on my busy local paths where joggers and walkers are cheek by jowl. That reduces spread how exactly?

BoatMad wrote: »
    Yes they can get a taxi , or have it delivered

Delivered by who though?

Can’t get a Tesco delivery slot here to save your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I haven't gone for a walk for a week now.

Sat in my garden and enjoyed the view and meditated ( sorry zoned out). Got the fresh air and so be it.

Get used to it, I have been practicing, it is our future for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

NDWC wrote: »
    Posted on Sunday night

Like I said, stupid selfish cünts

This was always coming regardless of what some people did, they didn't help the situation though.

Why is is it so hard for people to not get their knickers in a twist ?

That is very long post you made considering you didn’t have the answers to my questions. Nothing better to do except bitch and moan?

Because people are dying in this country because of ASSHOLES who won't follow the advice the medial experts that's why!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Holy shit, reading some of the questions regarding the new restrictions on here, you have to wonder should we be more worried of the downright stupidity of people than this fucking virus.

I mean, it's not rocket surgery, is it?

Does the bear shît on the pope?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

I haven't gone for a walk for a week now.

Sat in my garden and enjoyed the view and meditated ( sorry zoned out). Got the fresh air and so be it.

Get used to it, I have been practicing, it is our future for a while.

Or we could go for walks up to 2km from our homes?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

Don't want to get political but the amount of horrible comments leo seems to get from sinn Fein voters is very strange. The man is getting advice. Acting on it I'd say the government are doing a good job. It's almost unhealthy the hate some people have for them. There is no election and there might not be one for 4-5 years. So stop pretending Mary Lou and her new elected TDs. Could possibly have the connections and and experience the current government have. Good or bad they are the best we have for these times.

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    We all know it won't be two weeks. They can't be telling us the whole story it's about preventing panic.

You reckon some big announcement is coming?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement