Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Varadkar is the weakest ineffectual Taoiseach we have ever had, flip flopping around like a fish that has just been caught

come out and be strong ffs and say it as it is

Should be

€500 fine if you have no valid excuse for being out

and just don't stop there €1k for parents of teenagers caught hanging around on the street with their mates

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Jake1 wrote: »
    Almost like a Great Awakening

Yes, I have a sense of great change coming.
    Hopefully it won't just go back to BAU, it can't, can it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    I find it strange that the goverment did not contact BOARDS.IE and get the brains that are posting on the CoVid19 thread to sort out this problem, reading all these threads and a I am amazed at the amount of expert geniuses that have come together in this site, they would put the geniuses of the history of the world to shame,

On the other hand, if the government wants to know the reaction of the plain people of Ireland to the measures, we are providing an important public service :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I like a run and have been running up until today on open wide spaces with not too many people.

But I'll take one for the team and try YouTube workouts for 2 weeks anyway. Literally need to stay at home as much as possible given the severity.

I suppose being out just encourages others to be out. Can't do a whole lot of running in 2 km anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

topper75 wrote: »
    I'm sorry you ended up with that nasty experience through no fault of your own but you just sound angry. A runner keeping their distance didn't give you anything regardless of how far they ran. People should always question what they are told to do and why they are told to do it, especially when the given 'why' is vague or non-existant.
    I WON'T be complying with the 2km thing unless somebody can rationally explain how it increases the risk of me spreading the virus. I don't fear any police action in Ireland for obvious reasons.
    It's a personal thing for which I carry full responsibility, as with all my decisions and actions.

What do you not understand about our current predictament? Your're embarrassing yourself at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I find it strange that the goverment did not contact BOARDS.IE and get the brains that are posting on the CoVid19 thread to sort out this problem, reading all these threads and a I am amazed at the amount of expert geniuses that have come together in this site, they would put the geniuses of the history of the world to shame,

2h3m2v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Blaze420 wrote: »
    We do pretty well on all those fronts imo

Really. So you think the trolly crisis every winter is doing pretty well. Or the fact that people wait a year to see a consultant.Or the fact that record numbers of people are homeless because for decades now the government has let the market decide where and what houses should be built. Ireland has been good at getting the people to work. It's been terrible at caring for its people. Up to now. What I've seen in the last month has given me so much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭tommythecat

I'm sorry you ended up with that nasty experience through no fault of your own but you just sound angry. A runner keeping their distance didn't give you anything regardless of how far they ran. People should always question what they are told to do and why they are told to do it, especially when the given 'why' is vague or non-existant.
    I WON'T be complying with the 2km thing unless somebody can rationally explain how it increases the risk of me spreading the virus. I don't fear any police action in Ireland for obvious reasons.
    It's a personal thing for which I carry full responsibility, as with all my decisions and actions.

Good Jesus. Have a word with yourself will you. Read your post back and tell me that you don't sound like a self entitled prick. Stay at home and wash your hands.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

If they contacted us 6 weeks ago we might have curtailed it, South Korea style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

So as soon as the announcement was made, the chaos ensued at the supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

If they didn't ask you, why would they ask us??

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

I will be required to cocoon as a T1 diabetic. I am a postgrad student who worked quite a lot of teaching hours alongside it to make ends meat for rent and stuff. The university kept us on for reduced hours to be delivered remotely so I'm not entitled to the emergency payment, so I'm going to struggle financially.

I'm waiting for clarification that people who have to cocoon can claim the illness benefit, as it seems that they should based on the description. This would help a lot... I'm really worried about everything at the moment. Finances are becoming another burden now... I know lots of people are in the same boat with that :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

There won't be massive inflation. There might be some inflation. We could do with some inflation. Even neo-liberal Chicago and Austrian school economists like 2% inflation. Inflation has been well below 2% for ages.

Also, if most businesses are closed, how could the prices for most things go up?

Some inflation is good yes, I'd worry the trillions being printed may cause something more than 2% though.

If most businesses are closed, the prices would go up when they re-open? Less supply in the market too (albeit temporary)
    Quantative easing worked before. It will be very tough, but the economy will recover, despite what the doom merchants are saying

If we always keep printing money why would currency hold value though? There is a limit to how much QE the market will take...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What's the fascination supposedly masculine men have with cyclists all of a sudden in this thread, withdrawal symptoms from ogling their asses? Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

greenpilot wrote: »
    This is, by far, the most self-entitled post I've seen on Boards. The virus is a great leveller. Good luck with your little run

No - I don't think you even know the first thing about this virus.
    It is clear from a long time ago that people have different experiences of it. Ranges from symptomless to death. What leveller are you on about?
    That part about me enjoying my run you needn't worry about. I enjoy my entire life. I recommend you start doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

We need draconian measures to deal with this.

Draconian measures are ALWAYS the wrong answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Van for sale or hire.
    Has "essential work" branding.
    €25k. Or €1k per week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

Gardai are now at the entrance to Tesco Clonmel to control traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭paul71

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Because after midnight tonight they are not legally permitted to change legislation. It must be done by a newly formed government. This is another mess we could really do without now

Why? Genuine question. You seem to know something about the constitution that I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

deise08 wrote: »
    So as soon as the announcement was made, the chaos ensued at the supermarkets.

Were the supermarkets not closed around nine anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

hmmm wrote: »
    Do you realise that these restrictions potentially go on for at least 18 months?

This will not end in weeks. These restrictions are for months.

There is no "normal" any more. We may possibly have a vaccine. Or we have to live with this thing forever.

We can't all hide inside our houses for the rest of our lives. It won't be long before people start saying "screw it" and take their chances.

we are not going to be stuck in our house for 18month.

The strategy is lockdown, see out the peak, those that have it have it will only be spread within the household for the most part they will see through the illness no matter how good(unnoticable) or bad(death) in a matter of weeks.

What i see is,
    Once the new cases per day drop to a certain amount, restrictions be eased except for the vulnerable. But the rate of testing/contact tracing will be maintained even ramped up with quicker turn arounds, 1 symptom cases back tested, testing of people with no symptoms in high case areas and randomised testing of the population in workplaces etc.

Yes if you have a cold in the next 18 months you will be told to stay at home for a few weeks. But that doesnt mean all of us will be at home for 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

odyssey06 wrote: »
    On the other hand, if the government wants to know the reaction of the plain people of Ireland to the measures, we are providing an important public service :)

Eh no, if the government want to know the reaction of a disproportionate group of nerds on the internet they can check our posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Bob24 wrote: »
    MMT and helicopter money is a fairly tail.
    Money only has value comparatively to what others have - so giving the same thing to everyone eventually is the same as not giving anything to anyone.
    It will feel good at first, but eventually it will just create massive inflation in housing costs and the price of essential consumer goods, while destroying trust in the currency.

This is all wrong. Normal QE tends to cause inflation in housing, or stocks as it increases bank reserves and thus loans ( most ot which go to housing), and reduces the attractiveness of bonds and deposit accounts pushing money into stocks.

Giving people a few K to counteract deflation wont do any of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Really. So you think the trolly crisis every winter is doing pretty well. Or the fact that people wait a year to see a consultant.Or the fact that record numbers of people are homeless because for decades now the government has let the market decide where and what houses should be built. Ireland has been good at getting the people to work. It's been terrible at caring for its people. Up to now. What I've seen in the last month has given me so much hope.
    Tell me where the trolley crisis is now that every hypochondriac prick isn’t clogging our AES up with their medical cards? Tell me about the genuine homeless - not those sitting in hotels waiting for a free house because that isn’t homelessness? Big changes coming after this I hope when we wake up and realise what a cohort of spoofing vermin pervade our society and essential functions

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Some inflation is good yes, I'd worry the trillions being printed may cause something more than 2% though.

If most businesses are closed, the prices would go up when they re-open? Less supply in the market too (albeit temporary)

If we always keep printing money why would currency hold value though? There is a limit to how much QE the market will take...

There will be no inflation because people arent spending. There will be deflation or at least stagnation. Just like there was in 2008 but the difference this time the German economy will be suffering the same so they will be more open to printing money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

In the circumstances that is a frankly disgraceful, disgusting attitude.

Societal norms do not exist at the moment. Your freedoms are non existent, by law and morally. This is one of those times where the nation needs to come together and fight the good fight and obey the instructions given by the government in good faith, regardless of your agreement or disagreement.

I work in an essential service (logistics) and have to now move to my late Granny's empty house over the weekend as my physical presence is indispensible and I cannot put my Mam who I live with at risk (working from home last 2 weeks but now required on site). Your comment spits in my face and more so in the faces of frontline workers literally risking their lives to protect you and your entitled ilk.

This is war. It's that simple.

Step off your high horse, then have it put down. It's no longer required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

For those idiots who continue to be a me feiner in all this covid-19 emergency here is my dilemma. I live well within 2 km of certain attractions. Across the road where I live is a running track. There are about at least 4 shops within that 2 km radius of where I live. I haven't gone outside the door but for essential medicine and food since March 12th.

I could easily go for a run as I like physical activity. However my mother and father are over 70 and are in not great health. I hear of the word cocooning tonight. They are deeply concerned. Some people think they are invincible and have some kind of sense of entitlement. I'm putting everything in my life on hold to care for time my mam and dad. No physical activity, no meeting friends and relations. Even my sister's haven't visited my house to see my parents for over 2 weeks now.

Please listen to our medical experts and make this most necessary sacrifice that we as an nation must do to protect our warriors in the healthcare system, who have done an tremendous service to our country, in this most desperate of times.

No one knows where this is going to end. There is severe anxiety and sorry out there and for that I share your pain, knowing with what my parents are going through at this present time.

I will take a break on boards.ie to put the best interests of my parents at the very heart of my life. I hope that everyone gets the severity of the unprecedented crisis that this country has faced, since the foundation of the state. It's very emotional right now. I hope on my return to boards whatever that time comes, we will get through their crisis the other side. It's heartbreaking now.

Stay safe and hopefully that light at the end of the tunnel will come in the not too distant future, and for that we will be better people when we reach the other side. There will be many dark chapters in the unfolding emergency.

This impending tsunami of more harrowing stories of death and despair will come. But crucially we as country and we as proud citizens of Ireland will rise again and I know that in this grave moment of uncertainty and fear, we will defeat this virus and we will get this country moving again and unite as people.

I think of those that fought for our democracy and independence suffered far worse. It's a small step to achieve the same aim today like 104 years ago, the very best for the country and its people. God bless to one and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

kingtiger wrote: »
    Varadkar is the weakest ineffectual Taoiseach we have ever had, flip flopping around like a fish that has just been caught

come out and be strong ffs and say it as it is

Should be

€500 fine if you have no valid excuse for being out

and just don't stop there €1k for parents of teenagers caught hanging around on the street with their mates

I see fining people that are out of work , good call

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

jackboy wrote: »
    Only within 2 km of home.

And we have to remain a 2m distance from our children even though we live on top of them every day.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Good Jesus. Have a word with yourself will you. Read your post back and tell me that you don't sound like a self entitled prick. Stay at home and wash your hands.

Personal abuse?

I challenge you to try contradict my point instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement