Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your CoVid-19 test queries and observations - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Referral sent Monday 16th, I was tested Saturday evening the 21st in the South east. I am hoping I will have my results today or tomorrow.

How long were you waiting for results?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

This started as a thread about Waiting for a test but like a lot of threads on boards it has turned into something else. If you want to talk about something else, open a new thread.
    Just some of it by what I feel is the first person to go off thread but there are more people.

Pot calling the kettle black.

Yes, exactly, you just read a bit not the whole article or maybe just the bit you wanted to read or report on to prove your non-point. Is it as above you can catch it? Or below

Why didn’t you quote Dr Glockman

And to answer your first question,

Because the WHO recommended it.

Your being very selective, im responding to somebody who thinks hospitalisation reduces immunity and At ever stage I’ve said to err on the side of caution, there are a lot of u knowns in all of this.

And all this talk is about testing, people are not taking into account the limitations of the testing and putting far to much stock in it.

And I could have quoted Gluckman, who said “it seems likely” in relation to immunity, but that only backs up the fact that there are a lot of unknowns in all
    Of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

Still waiting on a test from a referral on Monday 16th March. Is this a record?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Aoibhinn41

Contacted the HSE today for an update on how long my own testing might take. They said anyone submitted on March 16th was wiped off the system temporarily last week as system crashed.

Apparently details were uploaded again in the last couple of days so these people are getting priority now. Supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Aoibhinn41 wrote: »
    Contacted the HSE today for an update on how long my own testing might take. They said anyone submitted on March 16th was wiped off the system temporarily last week as system crashed.

Apparently details were uploaded again in the last couple of days so these people are getting priority now. Supposedly.

If this is true its infuriating. Myself and my 7yr old were referred that morning too and are still waiting. She's great now but I am still quite unwell and GP was very frustrated that we are still untested because she really can't do anything to help me until we know for sure. If I get any worse now its 999 and hospital for me and that in itself is terrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Aoibhinn41

KGLady wrote: »
    If this is true its infuriating. Myself and my 7yr old were referred that morning too and are still waiting. She's great now but I am still quite unwell and GP was very frustrated that we are still untested because she really can't do anything to help me until we know for sure. If I get any worse now its 999 and hospital for me and that in itself is terrifying.

Absolutely. Could not believe it when the operator said it.
    Disgraceful people are waiting this long.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Unicorn55

Also waiting since 16th. Got text saying sorry for the wait last night.

I'm pretty much better now, still self isolating

• Registered Users Posts: 7 momum5

Unicorn55 wrote: »
    Also waiting since 16th. Got text saying sorry for the wait last night.

I'm pretty much better now, still self isolating

We're the same 3 of us waiting since the 16th too... and nothing other than the same 'sorry for the wait' text received

• Registered Users Posts: 7 momum5

momum5 wrote: »
    We're the same 3 of us waiting since the 16th too... and nothing other than the same 'sorry for the wait' text received

Just got called for test tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Partner, who is a surgeon, still waiting having been referred 3 days ago. Symptoms have all but gone but can't return to work until getting the all clear. Would have thought medical workers would be pushed to the top of the queue to get them back to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Has anyone been to a walk in test center? Ive just noticed that most if not all testing centers are drive through and wondering what those of us without cars can do if requiring a test?
    Theres no test center in my town but there is one in the next town. The center is very much off the beaten track, would take about half an hour to 40 minutes to walk there from the nearest the bus stop.

Why are car owners being prioritised?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

baldshin wrote: »
    Partner, who is a surgeon, still waiting having been referred 3 days ago. Symptoms have all but gone but can't return to work until getting the all clear. Would have thought medical workers would be pushed to the top of the queue to get them back to work.

So would I.

What hospital is you partner working in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I was submitted on the 16th and called on the 21st

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged and title changed

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Referred yesterday, Anyone else experiencing wheezing.
    I have a cough,slight throat irritation and a substantial wheeze.
    No fever or other symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I had symptoms for a good week before I contacted my GP. They were mild, dry cough, increased difficulty breathing. I'm asthmatic and that would usually be with case with a cold or a cough.

I was referred a week ago and since then I just got a text that I was in a queue.

My symptoms are now gone. Cough is gone since yesterday and my breathing is back to normal.

Question now is should I get tested when eventually called. I don't see the point and I think since there is such a backlog it would be better that ppl who don't need to go shouldn't go to free up resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭wandererz

AllForIt wrote: »
    I had symptoms for a good week before I contacted my GP. They were mild, dry cough, increased difficulty breathing. I'm asthmatic and that would unusually be with case with a cold or a cough.

I was referred a week ago and since then I just got a text that I was in a queue.

My symptoms are now gone. Cough is gone since yesterday and my breathing is back to normal.

Question now is should I get tested when eventually called. I don't see the point and I think since there is such a backlog it would be better that ppl who don't need to go shouldn't go to free up resources.

You should go. If the test turns out positive then contact tracing kicks in & they contact you to trace everyone you've been in direct contact with. This is important as it helps map the spread of the disease & allows people to be contacted for self isolation.
    This is the model that S. Korea followed that is working and which Ireland is following.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Referred yesterday, Anyone else experiencing wheezing.
    I have a cough,slight throat irritation and a substantial wheeze.
    No fever or other symptoms.

I've had slight wheezing. I had or still have asthma but haven't had a flare up in a good few years. Not even sure if it's something that stays with you or disappears? Used to be bad when I a kid though.

I find my cough particularly worse in the mornings and evenings and there during the weekend it felt like somebody was standing in my chest when I'd wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

Well it now looks like any of us that were on the list without an appointment will not be tested without going back to the GP.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0325/1126202-those-seeking-test-must-display-two-major-symptoms/
    Pure and utter incompetence be Simon Harris, LEO Varadkar and the HSE heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

This is an absolute sham. By all means tighten the criteria for testing going forward if need be, but to tell people who have self isolated for over a week waiting on a test that they won’t now be tested is ridiculous.

It won’t change what I’m doing, but some people may abandon their self isolation, within the family home at least upon hearing this, which could cause it’s own problems.

Plus, I’m sure I have seen reports of plenty who tested positive without a fever, so why would they make that a necessary symptom for testing? It just doesn’t make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    This is an absolute sham. By all means tighten the criteria for testing going forward if need be, but to tell people who have self isolated for over a week waiting on a test that they won’t now be tested is ridiculous.

It won’t change what I’m doing, but some people may abandon their self isolation, within the family home at least upon hearing this, which could cause it’s own problems.

Plus, I’m sure I have seen reports of plenty who tested positive without a fever, so why would they make that a necessary symptom for testing? It just doesn’t make sense.
    It's not that they won't be tested they will need to reengage with their GP to see if they should be, based on the new definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

The gp lines are going to be crazy today after this

bigjoe wrote: »
    Well it now looks like any of us that were on the list without an appointment will not be tested without going back to the GP.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0325/1126202-those-seeking-test-must-display-two-major-symptoms/
    Pure and utter incompetence be Simon Harris, LEO Varadkar and the HSE heads.
    Only 6% positive is a waste of testing for those trying to manage this. It means they are not finding enough cases because of the sheer volume of tests being requested.

wat24 wrote: »
    The gp lines are going to be crazy today after this
    TBH I got the impression from last night that there is more of an issue with how people were being identified from symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Anyone know... does the test only test if you have Corona currently?
    Or can it detect that you already had it? Eg. if you have anti-bodies against Corona?

I had a bad head cold/cough/sinus infection for last 10 days and on anti-biotics.
    Would be good to know whether it was just a sinus infection or mild Corona on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Anyone know... does the test only test if you have Corona currently?
    Or can it detect that you already had it? Eg. if you have anti-bodies against Corona?

I had a bad head cold/cough/sinus infection for last 10 days and on anti-biotics.
    Would be good to know whether it was just a sinus infection or mild Corona on top of it.

AFAIK there is no test available yet to tell if you had it, the last thing I read was that somewhere in the US hopes to have one available in time.

Your either positive or negative for currently having it.

What’s unclear about the test is where in the lifecycle of the virus it shows and doesn’t show in the test they are doing. It’s possible you can be infected but not test positive because you are only recently infected or have gone out the far side of the infection.

This might explain it better https://emcrit.org/ibcc/COVID19/

limitations in determining the performance of RT-PCR

There are several major limitations, which make it hard to precisely quantify how RT-PCR performs.
    (1) RT-PCR performed on nasal swabs depends on obtaining a sufficiently deep specimen. Poor technique will cause the PCR assay to under-perform.
    (2) COVID-19 isn't a binary disease, but rather there is a spectrum of illness. Sicker patients with higher viral burden may be more likely to have a positive assay. Likewise, sampling early in the disease course may reveal a lower sensitivity than sampling later on.
    (3) Most current studies lack a “gold standard” for COVID-19 diagnosis. For example, in patients with positive CT scan and negative RT-PCR, it's murky whether these patients truly have COVID-19 (is this a false-positive CT scan, or a false-negative RT-PCR?).
    (Convalescent serologies might eventually solve this problem, but this data isn't available currently.)
    specificity

Specificity seems to be high (although contamination can cause false-positive results).
    sensitivity may not be terrific

Sensitivity compared to CT scans
    In a case series diagnosed on the basis of clinical criteria and CT scans, the sensitivity of RT-PCR was only ~70% (Kanne 2/28).
    Sensitivity varies depending on assumptions made about patients with conflicting data (e.g. between 66-80%)(Ai et al.).
    �� Image of analysis of Ai et al to determine sensitivity & specificity of PCR here.
    Among patients with suspected COVID-19 and a negative initial PCR, repeat PCR was positive in 15/64 patients (23%). This suggests a PCR sensitivity of <80%. Conversion from negative to positive PCR seemed to take a period of days, with CT scan often showing evidence of disease well before PCR positivity (Ai et al.).
    Bottom line?
    PCR seems to have a sensitivity somewhere on the order of ~75%.
    A single negative RT-PCR doesn't exclude COVID-19 (especially if obtained from a nasopharyngeal source or if taken relatively early in the disease course).
    If the RT-PCR is negative but suspicion for COVID-19 remains, then ongoing isolation and re-sampling several days later should be considered.

All I’m taking from that, and what I’ve been saying all along is that the testing is limited in its nature and at the moment in its numbers. So continue to behave like you have it.

My wife was referred a week ago, symptoms now all but completely gone and all we received was a text from the HsE. We know of someone who was referred Monday this week and received the test Tuesday. At this stage we probably won’t follow it up as there isn’t any health issue currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Due to be seen tomorrow, with a 2 day wait for results. So that will make it a week out of work, possibly unnecessarily if the results are negative, which they likely will be. Meanwhile a colleague in another hospital was seen on the day of showing symptoms and had results in hours. Can't fathom how this is being handled differently by different major hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Qwerty Dub wrote: »

It's not a sham. It's an unexpected and impossible to anticipate deluge. I am sure that there are plenty of people that need to be tested more urgently than you. There was another poster who talked about crying with the pain. They need to be tested.

Get yourself into the line and you just have to wait your turn if you are less of a priority. It's unfortunate but that is where we are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

quaalude wrote: »
    Partner’s been waiting since Wednesday 11am, Dublin south city. He was told he’d be contacted in 3 days.

Quoting my own post here.

Partner called GP Wed 18th, with several symptoms, and he was told he'd be called for a test in 3 days.
    He got that apology / delay text a few days ago.
    He called the GP again there today and was told he'd not be getting a test after all. He's still quite sick, but feeling a little bit better today.
    He was told to self isolate another week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Due to be seen tomorrow, with a 2 day wait for results. So that will make it a week out of work, possibly unnecessarily if the results are negative, which they likely will be. Meanwhile a colleague in another hospital was seen on the day of showing symptoms and had results in hours. Can't fathom how this is being handled differently by different major hospitals.

What hospital is your partner working in?

How can you have a colleague working in another hospital? Are you referring to your partner's colleague or a colleague of your own?

Advertisement