Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your CoVid-19 test queries and observations - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread merged

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Genuine question. Can anybody advise me if private testing got Covid-19 is actually available in Ireland as I would be willing to pay for a test if so. It would be helpful especially to know if I were shedding virus during my recovery phase from an illness with breathing difficulty and fever. It would mean I could go to the shops.

If you think there's any chance you have it, then you act like you have it. This means not going to the shops (and anyone you live with can't go to the shops). Ask a friend or relative to pick you up stuff when they're going for themselves and leave it at your door. Or look at ordering online with deliver.

As another poster said, if you arranged for a private test you're reducing the number of tests available for public use purchase in a time when the whole world is crying out for tests for front line staff and high risk cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Genuine question. Can anybody advise me if private testing got Covid-19 is actually available in Ireland as I would be willing to pay for a test if so. It would be helpful especially to know if I were shedding virus during my recovery phase from an illness with breathing difficulty and fever. It would mean I could go to the shops.

I thought public and private were equal during this pandemic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Contact your GP if it's important you will be tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

What’s the longest anyone has been waiting for results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Partner, who's a surgeon, was waiting 5/6 days for a test, and is now going on to day 6 waiting for the results. That's 11 days unable to go to work. Crazy from the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Since march 19th for me

The test centre in pairc ui caoimh was closed again today. Are they testing at all there like

PUC Cork is suppose to the largest testing centre and closed again

I'm waiting since March 20th.

baldshin wrote: »
    Partner, who's a surgeon, was waiting 5/6 days for a test, and is now going on to day 6 waiting for the results. That's 11 days unable to go to work. Crazy from the HSE.

It’a likely that they are only contacting positives immediately., Depending on how you look at it could be a blessing in disguise for someone like your husband as medical staff are at the highest risk of contracting the virus.

It wouldn’t surprise me if withholding negatives was a policy as people are isolating while waiting for results, getting a negative brings with it a temptation to go out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deise18

It’a likely that they are only contacting positives immediately., Depending on how you look at it could be a blessing in disguise for someone like your husband as medical staff are at the highest risk of contracting the virus.

I feel like I'm saying the same thing over and over, but please do not assume your test is negative if you have not got results. I'm still waiting , however my colleague- a practice nurse- got a positive result yesterday 9 days after she was tested.

It wouldn’t surprise me if withholding negatives was a policy as people are isolating while waiting for results, getting a negative brings with it a temptation to go out.

She would kill you for the gender stereotyping here haha! But in all seriousness, I would have thought healthcare workers would be streamlined to avoid any unnecessary time away from work. If multiple members of a team showed any symptoms, there could be a tonne of doctors/nurses away from work without testing positive, twiddling their thumbs at home waiting to go back to the frontline.

She would kill you for the gender stereotyping here haha! But in all seriousness, I would have thought healthcare workers would be streamlined to avoid any unnecessary time away from work. If multiple members of a team showed any symptoms, there could be a tonne of doctors/nurses away from work without testing positive, twiddling their thumbs at home waiting to go back to the frontline.

What are you on about.

deise18 wrote: »
    I feel like I'm saying the same thing over and over, but please do not assume your test is negative if you have not got results. I'm still waiting , however my colleague- a practice nurse- got a positive result yesterday 9 days after she was tested.

Obvs.
    And don't assume because you get a negative that you can change what you are doing because it could be a mistake (everyone knows we don't have a good record for medical testing in this country). You can still get it, or you may have got it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Notsomindful

What are you on about.

For assuming the posters partner was Male as poster mentioned they were a surgeon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Did your partner the female surgeon not raise the issue with any of the test centers?

I would have understood she would have a duty of care to inform the Medical council and/or HIQA if she felt that the HSE were not prioritising her test? Especially considering she is an advanced medical officer who is needed during this crisis?

She is obliged to raise this with HIQA surely?

In the meantime I hope your partners health has improved. What has she be doing with her time and when does her hospital expect her back at work? They must have been monitoring her progress, especially considering she is a surgeon?

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Did your partner the female surgeon not raise the issue with any of the test centers?

I would have understood she would have a duty of care to inform the Medical council and/or HIQA if she felt that the HSE were not prioritising her test? Especially considering she is an advanced medical officer who is needed during this crisis?

She is obliged to raise this with HIQA surely?

In the meantime I hope your partners health has improved. What has she be doing with her time and when does her hospital expect her back at work? They must have been monitoring her progress, especially considering she is a surgeon?

Yes of course, she has been chasing this up every single day as she is chomping at the bit to get back to work. We are now over 7 days since the test was conducted and no result. She has been studying from home, liaising with Italian surgeons on how they're coping and in general trying to do as much as possible from home, including running presentations to her juniors via zoom.

Partner, who is a surgeon, still waiting having been referred 3 days ago. Symptoms have all but gone but can't return to work until getting the all clear. Would have thought medical workers would be pushed to the top of the queue to get them back to work.
    Due to be seen tomorrow, with a 2 day wait for results. So that will make it a week out of work, possibly unnecessarily if the results are negative, which they likely will be. Meanwhile a colleague in another hospital was seen on the day of showing symptoms and had results in hours. Can't fathom how this is being handled differently by different major hospitals.
    Yes of course, she has been chasing this up every single day as she is chomping at the bit to get back to work. We are now over 7 days since the test was conducted and no result. She has been studying from home, liaising with Italian surgeons on how they're coping and in general trying to do as much as possible from home, including running presentations to her juniors via zoom.

How long has she been in isolation for ?

I think today is day 14. But can't go back until Occupational Health get notified of the test result and approve her return.

I think today is day 14. But can't go back until Occupational Health get notified of the test result and approve her return.

Wow, it sounds really crazy. I am astonished if I am honest.

You couldn't make it up.

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Wow, it sounds really crazy. I am astonished if I am honest.

You couldn't make it up.

I wholeheartedly agree!!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I am 39 weeks pregnant tomorrow and 11 days ago got tested for the virus alongside my husband as our 2 year old daughter picked up a cough from childcare and we both had sniffly noses and just generally feeling a bit off for a few days but nothing serious.
    As I was pregnant and husband has under lying conditions GP decided it was best we got tested .
    This was all done before the guidelines changed obviously.

Well we got tested on day 12 for me of my ‘symptoms ‘ first presenting and day 14 for my husband . During that time we met nobody and went into self isolation ourselves .

Now we are waiting 11 days for results and it’s already been the 14+ days since symptoms began I’m so confused as to what to do if say I go into labour soon without these results .
    In my eyes these results are no longer valid to us as they wouldn’t be in date even if we tested positive .....?

I don’t know what to do tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I am 39 weeks pregnant tomorrow and 11 days ago got tested for the virus alongside my husband as our 2 year old daughter picked up a cough from childcare and we both had sniffly noses and just generally feeling a bit off for a few days but nothing serious.
    As I was pregnant and husband has under lying conditions GP decided it was best we got tested .
    This was all done before the guidelines changed obviously.

Well we got tested on day 12 for me of my ‘symptoms ‘ first presenting and day 14 for my husband . During that time we met nobody and went into self isolation ourselves .

Now we are waiting 11 days for results and it’s already been the 14+ days since symptoms began I’m so confused as to what to do if say I go into labour soon without these results .
    In my eyes these results are no longer valid to us as they wouldn’t be in date even if we tested positive .....?

I don’t know what to do tbh

This is covered in the guidelines available to doctors. It’s not a good idea to go into individual medical advice online, but if you ring your GP or obstetrician they will be able to answer this for you. If you need advice over the weekend, your out of hours GP service should be able to help over the phone (your regular GP will likely have a message on their answering machine with the number on it if you don’t have it already).

Be safe, all four of you :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,485 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyone got tested and was found to be negative? Did you have an ole sniffle?

The delay in test results especially for health care workers in disgraceful

Just got my negative result texted to me, 16 days after my test.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deise18

Seem to be processing a lot of results today, colleague got positive result after 10 days. She has fully recovered now. Im 9 days waiting, hoping to hear soon too as cant go back to work until i have result.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Notsomindful

Symptoms started on 17th march , I was referred on 18th march for testing, re referred on 25th march and tested in Pairc Ui Chaoimh Cork on 27th.
    Still waiting for results of test- fever gone , still touch of cough and sore throat and feeling wrecked if I do anything strenuous.

I had to go.back to normal life on day 14 as I have children and my partner had to work.

The delay in results isnt helping anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The delay in test results especially for health care workers in disgraceful

The delay in results for healthcare workers has reduced significantly as testing is being made available in many hospitals around the country.

Hospital labs process swabs from in house patients and healthcare workers.
    Swabs from the community and testing centers are processed by the NVRL and some of those are the ones being sent to Germany.

The hospitals that are currently processing tests include, but are not limited to:
    St Vincent’s, St James, The Mater, CUH, UHL, UHW, UCHG.

Letterkenny are processing samples for Mayo University hospital until they are up and running.
    Sligo are processing samples for Roscommon and Portiunlca hospitals.
    The Rotunda are providing testing for The Coombe, Holles St, Temple St and Cavan Hospital.

Advertisement