Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

peteeeed wrote: »
    Defiance
    Diana ( not a recommendation)
    Hotel Transylvania 2
    What if
    Kajaki: The True Story
    On patrol in Afghanistan, a British paratrooper unit unwittingly ventures into a dry riverbed that turns out to be littered with land mines.

Paradise Hills
    Uma wakes up in a lush tropical facility designed to turn willful girls into perfect ladies. That's bad enough, but its real purpose is even worse.

Added
    just watched paradise hills. it was very pretty and enjoyable with some social commentary
    one part was just unnecessarily wtf but the rest was good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

SeaFields wrote: »
    Tiger King. Just nuts. By the time I got to the last episode, it was getting crazier by the minute. The yanks really are insane.

Highly recommend

Mad stuff altogether. I want to live in a country authoritarian enough to stop random lunatics owning big cats or giant snakes. You’d think Canada wouldn’t allow such utter craziness but that is not the case:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

People might be surprised at this but there is no law in Ireland preventing you owning a tiger. There is a law preventing one being brought in but once in you are free to walk down the street with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭Rfrip

joeguevara wrote: »
    People might be surprised at this but there is no law in Ireland preventing you owning a tiger. There is a law preventing one being brought in but once in you are free to walk down the street with one.

That’s all we need now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Rfrip wrote: »
    That’s all we need now!!

McGregor incoming!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Loved The Stranger and have also watched Safe, I’m really into those type of suspenseful shows. Anyone have any suggestions of something similar to watch? :)

Marcella ... Not as gripping as the stranger, but worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

joeguevara wrote: »

people might practice social distancing , open the cages at dublin zoo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Mad stuff altogether. I want to live in a country authoritarian enough to stop random lunatics owning big cats or giant snakes. You’d think Canada wouldn’t allow such utter craziness but that is not the case:

There's no law against owning big cats or giant snakes or venomous snakes or whatever in Ireland.

Tom Segura: Ball Hog
    Tom Segura scores laughs with uncomfortably candid stories about mothers, fathers, following your dreams -- and other things you'd rather not think about.

Ana e Vitória
    After meeting by chance, two young musicians with differing views on love and life record an album that drastically alters their lives.

Mercy Black
    Fifteen years after a traumatic crime, a woman is released from psychiatric care and tries to drive out an evil spirit that continues to haunt her.

added

Ozark s3 = 3 days
    Brooklyn Nine Nine s6 = 4 days
    Sunderland ’Til I Die s2 = 8 days
    Money Heist s4 = 10 days
    Peaky Blinders s5 = 29 days
    After Life s2 = 31 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Anyone watched Freud yet? Looks pretty good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Just watched Supersonic - The Oasis doc. Really great looking back at the band. Brought me right back! I'd be biased as I'm a massive fan. Well worth the watch if you like music docs or just wanting something different to watch.

Ozark s3 = 3 days
    Money Heist s4 = 10 days
    After Life s2 = 31 days

Ozark! Wuhoo!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Ozark s3 = 3 days
    Money Heist s4 = 10 days
    After Life s2 = 31 days

Do you know if they are dropping all episodes at the same time or weekly? Particularly for Brooklyn Nine Nine and Ozark.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Do you know if they are dropping all episodes at the same time or weekly? Particularly for Brooklyn Nine Nine and Ozark.
    All for both and probably all of them. 'Ozark' is their own show so it will always get a full season drop. 'Brooklyn Nine Nine' is currently airing Season 7 so they can drop all of Season 6.

The only time they don't is when they're doing next-day airings of shows that they don't make exclusively themselves. So that covered 'The Good Place' and most popularly here, 'Better Call Saul'. It doesn't help that they put 'A Netflix Original' before these shows. If they used a label, 'Netflix Exclusive' then it'd be clearer I reckon from the actual Netflix originals like 'Ozark'.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kingp35 wrote: »

All at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭santana75

The battered Bastards of Baseball

Anyone seen this? Watched it the other night and thought it was absolutely brilliant. Inspirational story thats lots of fun. One of the better documentaries on Netflix.

We binged Tiger King last night, our first binge in ages. I had no idea what it was when the OH put it on, but within 10 minutes I was hooked.

My reaction for the most of it...

Pbg2Guk.gif

We can laugh at the rednecks and the culture, but holy shít these are some scarily shrewd operators. Every one of them.

Random thoughts, in spoilers of course...
    Sure, Joe Exotic was lead on and set-up in the end, but he was a disgusting, highly dangerous man while out in the open. The threats about turning his place into 'Waco' if the cops came in, the talk of dropping grenades as he flies in a helicopter above his rival's park/enclosure...the videos of him making numerous death threats and shooting an effigy of his rival's head off. Then there's the grooming of those young lads, whether they were legal age or not, he was just a predator on the weak, broken and needy, the most narcissistic person I've seen in quite a while, treated his workers abhorrently and paid them peanuts. He definitely did set that fire on his own premises and burn alligators to death too
    No one really comes out of this shining or anywhere near it. That Jeff Lowe should see the inside of a jail and certainly has darkness which wasn't shown in the series. The strip club owner is the sleaziest, most self-serving person you could imagine and should also see jail and admitted as much himself. Then Carole, while wholly undeserving of the obsessive negative attention from Joe Exotic and the plot to murder her, is no squeaky clean character in the industry or life. Then you have Doc and his grooming and slave-driving of young women over at his own cult HQ, along with the probable killing and disposal of "aged out" tigers. Then you have Mario who apparently inspired Scarface when he murdered someone and used to run drugs. Then you have...you get where this is going, this is just a volatile rogues gallery of insanity all over the place from start to finish
    Poor young Travis and his broken, grieving mother. From the first time he appeared on camera giving an interview, you could see the extreme sadness in his eyes and that he wasn't anywhere near where he wanted to be in life despite being in a 'loving relationship'. To see footage of Joe harp on about himself at his funeral, then try to use the suicide to further his own political goals and whatever else, it turned my stomach.
    Considering the meth, the drinking, then whatever else the cameras didn't show, I was amazed and relieved to see that there wasn't something resembling a massacre/incident at Joe's Tiger Zoo. That female zookeeper lost her arm and seemed quite chill about it, but the fact that no one was mauled to death was a surprise.

This series started out funny and bizarre, and for me there were some extreme laugh out loud moments
    Those songs and music videos for example
    but it all gets quite dark at points just a few episodes in.

Definitely the best Netflix documentary series I've watched in a while, one of their best ever maybe. Although I've given it a shot above, it's just beyond words and hard to describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

santana75 wrote: »

Anyone seen this? Watched it the other night and thought it was absolutely brilliant. Inspirational story thats lots of fun. One of the better documentaries on Netflix.

Yeah, good shout, don't need to be a massive baseball fan to enjoy it. I thought it was excellent.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭budgemook

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Frances Ha, not exactly my sort of movie but excellently done, the story of an idealistic young woman who probably watched Friends as a kid trying to make it as a dancer in New York, keep a roof over her head and sustain a friendship under strain. Despite the arty talk, issues of wealth and class are right under the surface with these bohemians. There are comic moments but many sad ones too which the black and white treatment is well suited for. The script and acting are first rate and one of the coolest British songs ever written is featured:

Not seeing this on Netflix!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I’ve now watched series 1&2 if top boy... very excellent. Will try 3rd series now... I’m just hanging on to see new Ozarks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I am ten mins into tiger cats and jaysus wtf

Yep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

On reflection Joe Exotic was worryingly similar to Trump in the delusional sense.

budgemook wrote: »
    Not seeing this on Netflix!

You can’t see it? Maybe it’s a country thing. I’m looking at the Canadian version.

Marcella ... Not as gripping as the stranger, but worth a try.

Too many weird plot twists involving the detective and her family in Marcella which I don’t like to see. There’s a comical bit of bad dubbing in the latter part of Season 1 when a man arrives home with his Alsatian, disturbs an intruder and a Jack Russell starts barking.

Bambi wrote: »
    There's no law against owning big cats or giant snakes or venomous snakes or whatever in Ireland.

Really? That is alarming. Jaysus:

“For too long now, people have been keeping big cats, wolves, monkeys and alligators as pets,’’ said a spokesperson for the Co Meath-based sanctuary.

People are legally entitled to do that as there is no law in Ireland preventing people from owning such pets. You need a licence for a dog, but you do not need a licence for a tiger, which seems absolutely daft. Anything can turn up at any time. For instance, around 100 lethal spiders and scorpions were found in a house in Co Carlow after the occupant moved out.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/lifestyle/outdoorsandgarden/licence-for-a-dog-not-tiger-897334.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,857 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

You ain't seen nothing yet :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

santana75 wrote: »

Loved it when a saw it a few years ago, thinking it would make a great movie and Kurt Russell playing his father in it, why hasn't he done it?

Highly recommended imo

Advertisement