Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Land Before Time is being added in April! I'm so excited! I loved it as a kid, must have watched it 100 times on video :D

And only relatively recently did I learn that it was made in Ireland, during the mini Golden Era of animation, when Don Bluth set up shop here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pixelburp wrote: »
    And only relatively recently did I learn that it was made in Ireland, during the mini Golden Era of animation, when Don Bluth set up shop here.

Yep, my house was always more Don Bluth than Disney and I think it was for that very reason. All Dogs go to Heaven was another one that got a lot of viewings in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The Land Before Time is being added in April! I'm so excited! I loved it as a kid, must have watched it 100 times on video :D

But not the 100 sequels and tv series?
    Watched some of the sequels. Much more upbeat and song focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've loved Elite Season 3.
    It's a Spanish high school drama set around a prestigious school. Full of the absurdities you'd have seen in gossip girl and the like. Really enjoyable and an engaging watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Netflix to reduce streaming quality for 30 days due to Coronavirus:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51968302

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I've loved Elite Season 3.
    It's a Spanish high school drama set around a prestigious school. Full of the absurdities you'd have seen in gossip girl and the like. Really enjoyable and an engaging watch.

On season two and really enjoying it! Obsessed with the houses!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

adox wrote: »

Anyone know if any Irish ISP are signed up to Netflixs Open connect and if that is also affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

Investing in lots of 4K movies has suddenly paid off.

Physical media all the way

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Fair enough during core hours required for business, but they shouldn't be dropping bitrates in the evening. They already shape and adjust traffic as is anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

ixoy wrote: »
    Fair enough during core hours required for business, but they shouldn't be dropping bitrates in the evening. They already shape and adjust traffic as is anyway.
    Not at all an expert here, but a friend of mine I was talking to this afternoon mentioned this was an international thing to accommodate countries with crap internet access.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not at all an expert here, but a friend of mine I was talking to this afternoon mentioned this was an international thing to accommodate countries with crap internet access.
    Oh it's EU-wide but they could still fix it for the evenings in the crap access countries too. Sure, they could even do it at a country level - those countries that are being hammered could be eased back, leaving the rest. I'd actually be curious how much of an issue the Netflix element is during the day...
    It seems like they're bowing a bit to someone who'll have a limited understanding of the issues involved and are rushing out a bludgeon fix when they're capable of something a lot smarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

No issues with me so far anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭This is it

Varik wrote: »
    Anyone know if any Irish ISP are signed up to Netflixs Open connect and if that is also affected.

I would've thought most ISPs peer with Netflix, not sure how many would have Open Connect Appliances in their DCs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

A Life of Speed: The Juan Manuel Fangio Story
    Juan Manuel Fangio was the Formula One king, winning five world championships in the early 1950s -- before protective gear or safety features were used.

Archibald’s Next Big Thing: Season 2

Buddi: Season 1

Dare Me: Season 1
    Relationships topple and loyalties flip when an icy new cheerleading coach takes over
    the high school squad ruled by Beth and her devoted BFF, Addy

Dino Girl Gauko: Season 2
    Greenhouse Academy: Season 4
    Self Made: Inspired by the Life of Madam C.J. Walker: Season 1
    An African American washerwoman rises from poverty to build a beauty empire and become the first female self-made millionaire. Based on a true story.

She: Season 1
    An undercover assignment to expose a drug ring becomes a timid Mumbai constable's road to empowerment as she realizes her dormant sexuality's potential.

The English Game: Season 1
    Two 19th-century footballers on opposite sides of a class divide navigate professional and personal turmoil to change the game -- and England -- forever.

The Leisure Seeker

The Letter for the King: Season 1
    A young knight in training contends with ancient prophecies, magical powers and fickle companions as he sets out on an epic quest to save his kingdom.

The Platform
    In a prison where inmates on high floors eat better than those below, who get the scant scraps, one man tries to effect change so everyone gets enough.

Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness: Season 1
    A zoo owner spirals out of control amid a cast of eccentric characters in this true murder-for-hire story from the underworld of big cat breeding.

Truth or Dare: Extended Director’s Cut
    Ultras
    An aging soccer fanatic faces down the reality of his past while struggling to give himself and a young follower very different futures.

Vampires: Season 1(French)
    A Paris teen who's half human, half vampire grapples with her emerging powers and family turmoil as she's pursued by a secret vampire community.

Hitman: Agent 47 (2015)
    El silencio es bienvenido (2017)(Spanish) As a teen languishes during a spiritless road trip, she learns of the troubles in her parents' marriage as a crisis in her country loo

The Leisure Seeker (2017) On the run from kids and obligations, a couple hits the road in an old Leisure Seeker RV and sets out for the Ernest Hemingway Home in Key West..

added

Another recommendation is Uncle. Starring nick helm as a struggling musician who is thrown into babysitting his nerdy nephew. Very funny and great music.

This song is a personal favourite https://youtu.be/5jeI1M5XAvM

Stumbled across Job Lot. Very funny comedy set in a job centre in the U.K. some great characters and hadn’t heard of it. Bing watched the seasons on Netflix. Even has a few episodes with Keith Duffy who is a lothario electrician who can speak a few lines of Japanese.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Do we know when the throttling is due to start? Only watched something last night and it was as high definition as ever (we don't have the 4K package mind you)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

pixelburp wrote: »
    Do we know when the throttling is due to start? Only watched something last night and it was as high definition as ever (we don't have the 4K package mind you)
    Since it's to alleviate congestion for people now working remotely, it might be only during business hours..

Watching goodfellas at the moment. Never fails to blow my mind how good it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

been watching "on my block" with my kids. very enjoyable mixing humour with some very serious issues of some kids growing up in a tough neighborhood. it takes a few episodes to find it's feet, but really works. we're straight onto season 2.

recommended

Basq wrote: »
    Since it's to alleviate congestion for people now working remotely, it might be only during business hours..

then disney + arrives in 4 days with HDR 4K star wars , marvel , pixar and disney movies to offset it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

peteeeed wrote: »
    then disney + arrives in 4 days with HDR 4K star wars , marvel , pixar and disney movies to offset it all
    Yeah, I think EU are asking all streaming services so they may follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Can't talk about Netflix stand up without mentioning Greg Davies Magnificent Beast - one of the best stand up sets I've ever seen

It's amazing, even thinking about it has me laughing, some amazingly hilarious cringey stories.

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's amazing, even thinking about it has me laughing, some amazingly hilarious cringey stories.

If man down is still on Netflix make sure you watch it. Greg Davies and rim mayall are as funny together as you can get. Not sure if still available

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

joeguevara wrote: »
    If man down is still on Netflix make sure you watch it. Greg Davies and rim mayall are as funny together as you can get. Not sure if still available

If not, It's on All 4 which is free and available here. (with obnoxious amount of adverts though)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

joeguevara wrote: »

I actually watched in when C4/More 4 or whatever station broadcast it. It's great.

He's also in Cuckoo on Netflix, have only watched 1 episode so can't really comment yet as to its quality.

If not, It's on All 4 which is free and available here. (with obnoxious amount of adverts though)

Pity. Definitely was there a few months ago and I stumbled on it by accident.

Friday night dinner is another I’d recommend. It is class but I watched it all a few weeks ago.

One thing I just remembered is that I recorded Black Books and green wing. They are on the agenda for later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

£4 a month gets rid of them, if you really wanted to

netflix has said it won't affect resolution

Netflix will cleverly lower the transmission bitrate that might result in a slight drop in picture quality: "This is a technical change that shouldn't affect the quality of the streaming - you will continue to see content in the quality of your plan (always depending on the connection and the device, as before), so your experience should be the same,"

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/netflix/151513-netflix-to-cut-streaming-quality-in-europe-for-30-days-amid-covid-19-outbreak

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Hurrache wrote: »
    I actually watched in when C4/More 4 or whatever station broadcast it. It's great.

He's also in Cuckoo on Netflix, have only watched 1 episode so can't really comment yet as to its quality.

Cuckoo is quality as well, although the most recent season is a bit meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

peteeeed wrote: »
    netflix has said it won't affect resolution

Netflix will cleverly lower the transmission bitrate that might result in a slight drop in picture quality: "This is a technical change that shouldn't affect the quality of the streaming - you will continue to see content in the quality of your plan (always depending on the connection and the device, as before), so your experience should be the same,"

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/netflix/151513-netflix-to-cut-streaming-quality-in-europe-for-30-days-amid-covid-19-outbreak
    TANSTAAFL. If they're not cutting resolution, they're cutting the number of bits per pixel, which will be fine except for low light pictures. So horror movies aren't going to look all that good. That or they're using some sort of aggressive compression algorithm that'll introduce artefacts.

Advertisement