Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting people.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

You complain that people aren't following the guidelines even though you don't know them yourself.

you should listen to the consultants advice, that is the way to go, anti virals will soon be with us, sacrifices need to be made until then, grind it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

On a side note, calling people pathetic over and over again is a poor strategy for winning them over to your point of view.

It doesn’t make you sound like a rational person with advice worth following.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

no i haven't, i am quite calm, not with stupid actions though. It iis clear as day from a consultant here and many others, do not meet mates. I am not fear mongering, it is reality. Be a good citizen, help the vulnerable, don't be selfish, we are all in the same boat. Go out f you must but only on your own or with your partner who has also been at home/wfh etc. it is quite simple. Lead by example, lead by example, lead by example!

I am telling you now, the Italians done this (meeting mates) and they are getting hammered, don't do it!

When you're trying to persuade people to see things from your perspective, do you normally find it effective to repeatedly insult them and call them names?

Probably helps you with your own social isolation to be fair, but my experience is it tends not to have the effect of making people agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

you should listen to the consultants advice, that is the way to go, anti virals will soon be with us, sacrifices need to be made until then, grind it out

No. I will listen to the advice of the HSE. The consultant is one person, and we don't know his speciality. You argument is the same as saying "I'm going partying cos this one consultant said it's fine". When the HSE advice changes I will change accordingly.

lol very true but sorry it is quite apparent, we are heading for a longer lockdown because of such actions from others and the thing is deep down most people know it is probably not the right thing to do to meet their mates, reality will soon kick in though. we must be strict and hold out for anti virals or we will be likely in the Italian scenario very soon. Nearly 500 died there yesterday - apologies for the frustration but people need to get it together!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: @deathbomber - tone down the aggression please. As long as space between the walkers is maintained, going for walks with others is perfectly fine. He isn't talking about sitting around in confined spaces, elbow to elbow or across a table from each other. Let's be sensible here without the fearmongering.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

time will tell, what goes around comes around. fool!
    i could say don't come on here to ask a question to seek justification for an action to make yourselves feel better when deep down you know it is not the right thing to do! You are contributing directly or indirectly to people dying in the near future i.e. when other fools like you see you out and about walking with mates then they may follow suit and hence the virus will spread.
    Attack the post, not the poster. You have made your points. Others have made theirs. However "right" you may feel does not mean those who disagree should be insulted

No. I will listen to the advice of the HSE. The consultant is one person, and we don't know his speciality. You argument is the same as saying "I'm going partying cos this one consultant said it's fine". When the HSE advice changes I will change accordingly.

i see your point but it is incorrect, revisit this thread in 2 weeks time! best of health to everybody here. i wish everybody well and i am not trying to be dramatic but people need to be PROACTIVE!:pac:

Beasty wrote: »
    Attack the post, not the poster. You have made your points. Others have made theirs. However "right" you may feel does not mean those who disagree should be insulted

FAIR ENOUGH AND AGREED, OUT OF HERE, REGARDS

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭garyskeepers

rob316 wrote: »
    The fear and hysteria really kills any common sense in people. Go for a walk with your mate just both of ye don't touch surfaces or each other. Boards is the wrong place for any sane advice anyway that was your first mistake.

I agree,, boards is not the place to get proper advice, it IS the place to come if you want a bunch of arrogant ignorant d*cks jumping over everything you say and exercising their right to poke fun and call names.

Personally, I have not been meeting friends, not going for walks with anyone but the wife and kids, and basically staying away from people, including family and co workers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

i see your point but it is incorrect, revisit this thread in 2 weeks time! best of health to everybody here. i wish everybody well and i am not trying to be dramatic but people need to be PROACTIVE!:pac:

If you believe the HSE is incorrect that is fair enough. I, however, am willing to put my trust in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

lol very true but sorry it is quite apparent, we are heading for a longer lockdown because of such actions from others and the thing is deep down most people know it is probably not the right thing to do to meet their mates, reality will soon kick in though. we must be strict and hold out for anti virals or we will be likely in the Italian scenario very soon. Nearly 500 died there yesterday - apologies for the frustration but people need to get it together!

Most definitely, and I'm very much in the camp that if it's not necessary you shouldn't do it, but when people say we're in it together that has to include everyone showing respect for each other as well. Personally I'm in Texas where everyone is STILL panic buying long after it stopped back home, and yet lots of people aren't taking isolation seriously at all. I think you'll be very glad in the long run to have been in a place like Ireland as opposed to a place like here. A bit of leadership, some community spirit and selflessness, and a sense of proportion all go a long way.

Texans on the other hand take the consumption part super seriously but regard the isolation as scaremongering nonsense, and nobody seems to have a selfless thought in their head, in a place where half these people don't even have health insurance.

Anyway I'm getting off topic! Be good to each other lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

I agree,, boards is not the place to get proper advice, it IS the place to come if you want a bunch of arrogant ignorant d*cks jumping over everything you say and exercising their right to poke fun and call names.

What is it with this? I read some threads and read the OP and be like 'ok, interesting to see what replies they get' and what follows is a siege of personal attacks cloaked as 'advice'.
    You shouldn't sugar coat things but it's not hard to get your point across in a respectful way.

Personally, I have not been meeting friends, not going for walks with anyone but the wife and kids, and basically staying away from people, including family and co workers.

I think your choice is totally understandable, but for people who live alone, days and weeks without any real human interaction will be extremely difficult and take a harsh toll on mental health.

If we go into lockdown, as we might, we'll have to deal with that then, but for now anyone who wants to take a walk with a friend while following sensible precautions should not be made to feel bad for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

the more people that does this, the longer the virus will be present! do you know all the places and contacts your mate has been, this kind of stuff is wha tis wrong, we need to grind it out, quite silly:rolleyes:

Ah now. I'd be the first to say we should be careful and take this seriously, but mental health issues are very real. If two friends meet up for a walk and some fresh air, keep their distance and then return to their isolated homes, that's probably the lesser of the two evils compared to the mental state someone could be in from spending weeks alone.

Ah now. I'd be the first to say we should be careful and take this seriously, but mental health issues are very real. If two friends meet up for a walk and some fresh air, keep their distance and then return to their isolated homes, that's probably the lesser of the two evils compared to the mental state someone could be in from spending weeks alone.
    i hear you and i hear them, i have said my part and indeed in a disrespectful manner at times, which i apologise for but the fact is we need to come together and follow suit, we need to grind it out, it is going to be real tough, once in a lifetime experience, sadly! Talk to people on the phone if need be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

no i haven't, i am quite calm, not with stupid actions though. It iis clear as day from a consultant here and many others, do not meet mates. I am not fear mongering, it is reality. Be a good citizen, help the vulnerable, don't be selfish, we are all in the same boat. Go out f you must but only on your own or with your partner who has also been at home/wfh etc. it is quite simple. Lead by example, lead by example, lead by example!

I am telling you now, the Italians done this (meeting mates) and they are getting hammered, don't do it!

they got hammered due to the amount of chinese working there

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭garyskeepers

KiKi III wrote: »
    but for now anyone who wants to take a walk with a friend while following sensible precautions should not be made to feel bad for doing so.

totally true. That is just my choice. But I do think it would be safe enough to go for a walk outdoors with a friend, once distance is maintained and there is no touching. I just chose not to do it, but I totally understand people who do.

However, I had the little girl on a cycle the other day, and around the corner was around 7 or 7 young teenage girls all hanging around with each other. Mad that parents are allowing that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

mean gene wrote: »
    they got hammered due to the amount of chinese working there

No, from what I read they got hammered because nobody was taking the social distancing advice seriously... very much like many of our population!

I can totally understand why many people will struggle badly with some of these guidelines. But we will only have ourselves to blame, if we make excuses and don't follow them! It's a sacrifice, but has to be done!

Suggesting we will be Italy in a few weeks, is not scaremongering... it's very possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

However, I had the little girl on a cycle the other day, and around the corner was around 7 or 7 young teenage girls all hanging around with each other. Mad that parents are allowing that

I live with my son and Fiancé so I have company when going for a walk and will not be meeting friends for walks. For people who are not showing symptoms, observing the hygiene guidelines from HSE and are keeping a social distance from their walking companion they are still following the guidelines.
    I definitely think if you meet a friend then make sure it’s only one and your not hanging around chatting afterwards.

As for the teenagers if they don’t cop on we will all be forced to stay indoors and not even get a walk. I would be more sympathetic if they met one friend but a group of them they may as well be at school. If My 10 year old understands he can’t do his normal activities then a teenager should be able to understand it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The guidelines will change though once the numbers keep going up, which they almost certainly will. Where I am we're already at the point of no walking with people you don't live with it.. and it's tough but makes sense, if we are going to go shut things down then go as hard as possible to restrict things now because it will be at least 2 weeks before we start seeing the effects

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've been going for walks with the husband. Might seem daft but on the 2m social distancing - how do you do that if there's people coming towards you on the path? Can you overtake someone? We're fast walkers so we would outpace most people. I'm assuming a quick dash past them is fine.

Planning on walking out to see my parents maybe and we'd be walking. And yes, they'll be behind the porch door so there'll be no face-to-face risk there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There's so amount of BS about walking, if you walk past someone else you'll be fine unless you pull alongside and they turn to cough in your face. In the real world you'll be within two metres for about two seconds. Don't worry

No, from what I read they got hammered because nobody was taking the social distancing advice seriously... very much like many of our population!

I can totally understand why many people will struggle badly with some of these guidelines. But we will only have ourselves to blame, if we make excuses and don't follow them! It's a sacrifice, but has to be done!

Suggesting we will be Italy in a few weeks, is not scaremongering... it's very possible!

Where are you getting the idea that many of our population aren't complying? Because according to Tony Holohan of the HSE, we are complying very well.

And we acted much faster than Italy to close schools and pubs, and get people working from home as much as possible.

Only major blunder so far IMO was not shutting down flights with Italy sooner, particularly the weekend of the match that was cancelled.

Numbers are still going up in countries with stricter much stricter measures in place than us.

Maybe just stop going out for a bit?

The quicker it’s under control the less people will die and lose jobs etc.

There is a funny meme going around that is actually very true... our generation literally just needs to sit on the couch... and we can’t do it.

So many people not listening to the guidelines set. It's infuriating.
    I didn't meet my friend after all.

So many people not listening to the guidelines set. It's infuriating.
    I didn't meet my friend after all.

I went for a walk by the river there. Lots of people around but (assuming the couples holding hands live together) I'd say 90-95% of people are adhering to the guidelines.

KiKi III wrote:
    I went for a walk by the river there. Lots of people around but (assuming the couples holding hands live together) I'd say 90-95% of people are adhering to the guidelines.

I'd disagree with that number tbh. A lot are doing well but a lot aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

S.G.M. wrote: »
    I'd disagree with that number tbh. A lot are doing well but a lot aren't.
    That's sadly been my experience too. I see a lot of young kids and teens in groups. Eff all point if you've battened down the hatches if your kids are hanging out with all the other kids. Children are a vector of this illness, just like they were in the 1918 flu pandemic. My road which would be busy has pretty normal traffic, no rush hour spikes though. Lots of joggers and walkers, quite a few of each in groups of four or more and I have regularly seen groups stop and have a goss while not keeping their distance.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement