Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting people.

Options
  • 19-03-2020 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

A friend of mine wants to meet for a walk tomorrow.
    Haven't seen her in a few weeks. We wud be in the fresh air in a quiet area in nature.

Should I still avoid it?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't see why not, just a bit of distance at all times. I'm meeting my friend later for the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

rob316 wrote:
    Don't see why not, just a bit of distance at all times. I'm meeting my friend later for the same.

I get ya, I just wasn't sure cos I don't want to be doing unnecessary stuff to put more strain on healthcare workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

S.G.M. wrote: »
    A friend of mine wants to meet for a walk tomorrow.
    Haven't seen her in a few weeks. We wud be in the fresh air in a quiet area in nature.

Should I still avoid it?
    Thanks

The risk would be low.

Not non-existent, but quite low!

Everyone has to make these decisions for themselves really... we don't know enough about this virus yet, to be certain of much really.

You'll probably be fine if you keep a 2 meter distance. (But then what do I know about viruses?) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

rob316 wrote: »

the more people that does this, the longer the virus will be present! do you know all the places and contacts your mate has been, this kind of stuff is wha tis wrong, we need to grind it out, quite silly:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

My workplace shut down yesterday (we're not even working from home). The longer we stay shut, the greater the chance of not reopening but I can't dwell on that now. For me getting out for a walk every day will be vital to keep me sane and get some exercise as I've stopped going to the gym, I'm planning to meet a friend later this afternoon for a walk, that's all it will be, no going back to the house for a coffee, no hugging, not even elbow bumps, we'll keep our distance.

• Advertisement

from the consultant doing the AMA - CLEAR AS DAY!!

Social Isolation:

Lets be very clear the best way to avoid catching SARS-CoV2 and avoid passing it on to other is Social Isolation. Social Isolation is far superior to any other strategy but it isn’t always feasible, especially if you’ve got a job which involves public interaction. With that said the safest thing you can do is socially isolate yourself as much as possible.

What does this mean? If you’re retired or otherwise not working at this time then stay at home. Don’t go out unless it is a matter of life and death – you must get food or you will starve or you must get medicines. Even in these cases I would ask why you have to go out? Have it delivered by the shop or pharmacy or have a relative who has to be out and about for work pick it up for you and drop it at your door without coming inside.

Social Distancing:

If you absolutely must go out to the shop then don’t touch others, don’t stand within 1 metre ( preferably two metres ) of them and don’t dally. Don’t lean against counters, don’t use cash, go contactless or if you absolutely must pay in cash let them keep the change or put it in the charity box. Don’t touch staff’s hands to get a few pence back and then put potentially infected money in your pocket contaminating your hands, clothes etc. Get in, do what needs doing and get out. SARS-CoV2 is very infections even with limited contact.

If you are working in a job where you cannot work from home then socially isolate as much as possible from other employees and members of the public. All of the above advice applies.

If you decide to go out for something non-essential then simply don’t. By doing that you risk catching and spreading SARS-CoV2. If you catch it and pass it to two people and they pass it to two others and the doubling rate is 4 days then after 28 days you will be responsible for 128 people having it. Of those 128 people 2 to 3 will die. Was that worth the price? I

Seamai wrote: »
    My workplace shut down yesterday (we're not even working from home). The longer we stay shut, the greater the chance of not reopening but I can't dwell on that now. For me getting out for a walk every day will be vital to keep me sane and get some exercise as I've stopped going to the gym, I'm planning to meet a friend later this afternoon for a walk, that's all it will be, no going back to the house for a coffee, no hugging, not even elbow bumps, we'll keep our distance.

IGNORANCE IS BLISS! pathetic really

go on your own if you really must!

the more people that does this, the longer the virus will be present! do you know all the places and contacts your mate has been, this kind of stuff is wha tis wrong, we need to grind it out, quite silly:rolleyes:

Going to a supermarket poses an infinitely greater risk than walking 2m from someone.
    I'm pretty paranoid but the risk of walking with someone doesn't worry me.

Going to a supermarket poses an infinitely greater risk than walking 2m from someone.
    I'm pretty paranoid but the risk of walking with someone doesn't worry me.

more ignorance, what about everybody else, diid you read the feedback and advice from the Consultant. People need to get it together and stop acting like dumb selfish dicks! It's not all about you, take care of yourself but be smart. What you suggest is not smart, it is dumb!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Im going to hit an isolated headland this evening and do a bit of fishing, luckily I live rurally and will be driving alone.

Got to get out and about too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stewball

I'm just back from walking my dog. Went to our regular place in the woods - it's usually deserted during the week. Met lots of people/kids walking in groups not taking any notice of the guidelines.

Will people ever learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

IGNORANCE IS BLISS! pathetic really

go on your own if you really must!

Ummm the HSE advice is that people should go for walks, as long as you keep some distance between you.

So the words “ignorance” and “pathetic” are out of place here.

Cop on and don’t be attacking people who are following government guidelines.

people are just not paying attention and thinking it is not serious. Just give it 2 weeks and these clowns (sorry but it's true) will be probably quaking in their boots. We have a real chaance of suppressing the virus but it is simply not happening, yes there will be still a positive impact but not as much as there should of been. We are therefore heading towards full lockdown and these people are partially to blame! It's not a game, many people will probably die and some young with unknown conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Nothing wrong with a couple of people going for a walk out in the open, once they're suitably apart. It's face to face conversations and touching that'll spread the virus, not talking to someone 4ft away in a forest ffs.

more ignorance, what about everybody else, diid you read the feedback and advice from the Consultant. People need to get it together and stop acting like dumb selfish dicks! It's not all about you, take care of yourself but be smart. What you suggest is not smart, it is dumb!

Take yourself somewhere else if you want to pick an argument you're obviously at fever pitch from staying locked up in that cabin of yours.
    2m is the guideline and I'm sticking to it.

KiKi III wrote: »
    Ummm the HSE advice is that people should go for walks, as long as you keep some distance between you.

So the words “ignorance” and “pathetic” are out of place here.

Cop on and don’t be attacking people who are following government guidelines.

sorry i won't, i have been following the outbreak since early January, we are heading down the Italian route, same thing happened in Italy, people were too laid back about it, meeting friends. We need to leaarn, it is hugely selfish and pathetic. Go out on your own or with your partner (if living and wfh/at home together) but not with mates etc. it is dumb!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The fear and hysteria really kills any common sense in people. Go for a walk with your mate just both of ye don't touch surfaces or each other. Boards is the wrong place for any sane advice anyway that was your first mistake.

people are just not paying attention and thinking it is not serious. Just give it 2 weeks and these clowns (sorry but it's true) will be probably quaking in their boots. We have a real chaance of suppressing the virus but it is simply not happening, yes there will be still a positive impact but not as much as there should of been. We are therefore heading towards full lockdown and these people are partially to blame! It's not a game, many people will probably die and some young with unknown conditions

What do you mean it’s not happening? The HSE guy leading the response said people are cooperating with social distancing to a remarkable degree.

Criticising people who are following guidelines is silly.

People are allowed to go outside, go for walks etc. If you see groups walking close together, it’s likely they already live together.

Take yourself somewhere else if you want to pick an argument you're obviously at fever pitch from staying locked up in that cabin of yours.
    2m is the guideline and I'm sticking to it.

time will tell, what goes around comes around. fool!

rob316 wrote: »
    The fear and hysteria really kills any common sense in people. Go for a walk with your mate just both of ye don't touch surfaces or each other. Boards is the wrong place for any sane advice anyway that was your first mistake.

the ama consultant has just given advice of what to do and what not to do, which i posted earlier in the thread! Reality check needed!

• Advertisement

What do you mean it’s not happening? The HSE guy leading the response said people are cooperating with social distancing to a remarkable degree.

Criticising people who are following guidelines is silly.

People are allowed to go outside, go for walks etc. If you see groups walking close together, it’s likely they already live together.

we need to nail it, yes many are following the advice, many are not, such a speople going for walks with mates etc etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

They mentioned on the news last night that the HSE are concerned that people taking up outdoor activities like walking with friends and not maintaining a social distance. They said just because you are outdoors does not mean that you are safe.

You could go alone and chat on the phone while you both walk if you wanted to be very careful and still have a social element.

we need to nail it, yes many are following the advice, many are not, such a speople going for walks with mates etc etc!

Going for a walk with friends outside is allowed under HSE guidelines for social distancing.

What part of that are you struggling with?

Going for a walk with friends outside is allowed under HSE guidelines for social distancing.

What part of that are you struggling with?

were allowed but they are now concerned!!!, what do you not understand about it, more so, have you got an ounce of kop on, it is common sense NOT TO:confused:

i could say don't come on here to ask a question to seek justification for an action to make yourselves feel better when deep down you know it is not the right thing to do! You are contributing directly or indirectly to people dying in the near future i.e. when other fools like you see you out and about walking with mates then they may follow suit and hence the virus will spread.

i could say don't come on here to ask a question to seek justification for an action to make yourselves feel better when deep down you know it is not the right thing to do! You are contributing directly or indirectly to people dying in the near future i.e. when other fools like you see you out and about walking with mates then they may follow suit and hence the virus will spread.

This kind of fearmongering is precisely why the government is advising people to consult HSE and WHO websites and not random WhatsApp groups or internet boards.

Deathbomber, you’ve worked yourself up into a panic that has gone beyond the rational precautions we are all being asked to take.

Maybe you need a break from Boards/ the news. It sounds like a bit of fresh air would do you no harm to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sleepysue

Now is our chance to slow the spread of this virus. People should only be going out if they have to. Do you have to meet your friend? Is it a matter of life and death? Really people need to cop on and comply with the guidelines. We all need to work together on this. If everyone thought 'sure I will just meet my friend today for a walk' where will be in 2 weeks time. You may be in relatively good health and if you did get the virus you most likely will be fine. But this is not the case for a lot of people. Don't be so selfish and stay at home...please.

This kind of fearmongering is precisely why the government is advising people to consult HSE and WHO websites and not random WhatsApp groups or internet boards.

Deathbomber, you’ve worked yourself up into a panic that has gone beyond the rational precautions we are all being asked to take.

Maybe you need a break from Boards/ the news. It sounds like a bit of fresh air would do you no harm to be honest.

no i haven't, i am quite calm, not with stupid actions though. It iis clear as day from a consultant here and many others, do not meet mates. I am not fear mongering, it is reality. Be a good citizen, help the vulnerable, don't be selfish, we are all in the same boat. Go out f you must but only on your own or with your partner who has also been at home/wfh etc. it is quite simple. Lead by example, lead by example, lead by example!

I am telling you now, the Italians done this (meeting mates) and they are getting hammered, don't do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

sorry i won't, i have been following the outbreak since early January, we are heading down the Italian route, same thing happened in Italy, people were too laid back about it, meeting friends. We need to leaarn, it is hugely selfish and pathetic. Go out on your own or with your partner (if living and wfh/at home together) but not with mates etc. it is dumb!

You complain that people aren't following the guidelines even though you don't know them yourself.

• Advertisement

no i haven't, i am quite calm, not with stupid actions though. It iis clear as day from a consultant here and many others, do not meet mates. I am not fear mongering, it is reality. Be a good citizen, help the vulnerable, don't be selfish, we are all in the same boat. Go out f you must but only on your own or with your partner who has also been at home/wfh etc. it is quite simple. Lead by example, lead by example, lead by example!

I am telling you now, the Italians done this (meeting mates) and they are getting hammered, don't do it!

Cool.

Well you make up your own rules and I’ll follow the HSE guidelines.

Advertisement