Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting people.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's sadly been my experience too. I see a lot of young kids and teens in groups. Eff all point if you've battened down the hatches if your kids are hanging out with all the other kids. Children are a vector of this illness, just like they were in the 1918 flu pandemic. My road which would be busy has pretty normal traffic, no rush hour spikes though. Lots of joggers and walkers, quite a few of each in groups of four or more and I have regularly seen groups stop and have a goss while not keeping their distance.

That's mental at this stage. I only saw joggers out alone, and only saw kids with parents - no teens. There aren't a lot of teens in my area, lots of young professionals and some young families.

Parents would want to get a hold of their kids going out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

Salthill supposedly buzzing. One restaurant still open and full. 20+ kids out kicking football as well there.
    It's an absolute joke. No concern for other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

S.G.M. wrote: »
    I'd disagree with that number tbh. A lot are doing well but a lot aren't.

my local shops are full of gangs of teens.
    parents should be beaten

park busy but bar a few teens most are keeping apart

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

the more people that does this, the longer the virus will be present! do you know all the places and contacts your mate has been, this kind of stuff is wha tis wrong, we need to grind it out, quite silly:rolleyes:
    Not everyone can "grind it out", mental health is equally as important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Okay, so I'll explain the situation and would ask that people be kind in their replies because I'm really really torn on this subject.

I live on the Tipperary/Cork border but I'm from Dublin.

My family all still live in Dublin. Mam, Dad, 2 sons, 1 daughter, 1 grandson, 1 sister.

I feel like this weekend might be the last chance to visit for a long time because next week may be complete lockdown.

At the same time, my Mam is suffering stage 4 lung cancer (she's decided against any treatment), my Dad has diabetes and I have COPD so we're all in high risk categories. Mam and Dad are only 71 though so not massively elderly. If I'm honest about Mam I think she couldn't care less if she got it because she wants to go sooner rather than later but at the same time from what I've seen in Italy I don't want her gasping for air as she does go.

I'm wondering if I visit and just maintain social distance, wear gloves and limit the amount of time with each would that be okay?

Really don't know what to do, I live alone so I am quite lonely although I'm still going to work for now so I do have some interaction albeit it at safe social distance from colleagues.

What are other people thinking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Vic_08

No.

When will people get it through their heads that they aren't special cases that are allowed to ignore the rules everyone else is expected to abide by?

You are not forced by law to stay away, it is up to you to decide if you want to increase the risk to yourself, your relatives and as you are still working, your colleagues.

How widely and quickly this spreads is going to be down to how many people ignore the advice and unnecessarily mix with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not everyone can "grind it out", mental health is equally as important.

That's not really true. In stark terms, one person's mental health is not worth putting an exponential number of lives at risk. If that sounds harsh it's because it is, and I have my own mental health issues.

But if I break my quarantine because of my mental health and infect two people, and those two people infect two more people etc, the consequences are dire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

Wibbs wrote: »
    That's sadly been my experience too. I see a lot of young kids and teens in groups. Eff all point if you've battened down the hatches if your kids are hanging out with all the other kids. Children are a vector of this illness, just like they were in the 1918 flu pandemic. My road which would be busy has pretty normal traffic, no rush hour spikes though. Lots of joggers and walkers, quite a few of each in groups of four or more and I have regularly seen groups stop and have a goss while not keeping their distance.

You peeking out your curtains all day long?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

timhenn wrote: »
    You peeking out your curtains all day long?
    With binoculars, while pullin' the skeleton out of myself.

But actually no. Just what I've seen in passing and when I was out driving.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I had made an agreement with myself to avoid my parents (68, 77 I think).

My brother has finally arrived home from Cardiff and he wants me to call up to our family home tomorrow.

I'm not sure what to do... Call up and adhere to social distancing?

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote:
    I'm not sure what to do... Call up and adhere to social distancing?

If ya can.....avoid. I know the 2m rule may be enough but why risk it. The less people you come into the contact with the better.

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Okay, so I'll explain the situation and would ask that people be kind in their replies because I'm really really torn on this subject.

I live on the Tipperary/Cork border but I'm from Dublin.

My family all still live in Dublin. Mam, Dad, 2 sons, 1 daughter, 1 grandson, 1 sister.

I feel like this weekend might be the last chance to visit for a long time because next week may be complete lockdown.

At the same time, my Mam is suffering stage 4 lung cancer (she's decided against any treatment), my Dad has diabetes and I have COPD so we're all in high risk categories. Mam and Dad are only 71 though so not massively elderly. If I'm honest about Mam I think she couldn't care less if she got it because she wants to go sooner rather than later but at the same time from what I've seen in Italy I don't want her gasping for air as she does go.

I'm wondering if I visit and just maintain social distance, wear gloves and limit the amount of time with each would that be okay?

Really don't know what to do, I live alone so I am quite lonely although I'm still going to work for now so I do have some interaction albeit it at safe social distance from colleagues.

What are other people thinking?

I’m sorry but definitely not- and I’m saying that allowing for the fact that (god forbid) I may be in a similar situation where I cannot visit dying relatives - gloves won’t protect them so even your knowledge of what you would need for such a situation is sadly lacking - but if you want your parents to have a chance of outliving this virus then no.

However, if they need assistance/ if you’re one of the only people that can do that then consult with their doctor- but you’ll need to study carefully what you should and shouldn’t do and take medical advice

All over my Instagram, people are out walking and hiking in areas that you have to come across others. Sit on your holes ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

S.G.M. wrote: »
    All over my Instagram, people are out walking and hiking in areas that you have to come across others. Sit on your holes ffs.

Is the official guidance not to be outside having a walk or a run?

Lots of people out in London, the weather is glorious. Pubs and restaurants told to close but no word about outdoors exercise.

Remember a lot of people here are living in cramped flatshares, often with no living rooms, just a tiny little boxy bedroom and no outside space at all. It just isn't really feasible to expect people to stay in a place like that for weeks on end unless they're explicitly told they have to. Even prisoners in solitary confinement get about an hour a day outside. The toll on people's mental health would be absolutely devastating. A lot of people are really struggling as it is.

Well the UK are making a balls of I wudnt heed London.

No harm getting out in the fresh air but I'm talking about the people getting out in the fresh air in busy areas. One person on my insta is walking with her bf on a trail that's really narrow and ya have to shuffle past the people you meet. It looked busy too. Baffling.

It's a joke and frankly it's selfish and putting more strain on the healthcare workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 i5kra

A lot of people haven't grasped the situation. We are in a phony war at the moment and people don't seem to be able to understand the consequences of their actions. Plus you have the usual amount of selfish gits who just don't care.

If we go down the Italy route then people will start copping on. But it will have come at a terrible price.

Just keep away from vulnerable people and elderly parents. Ok, I get that people want to visit and see them...but just don't.

Don't.

Think of how you would feel if your actions led to the death of somebody you loved. The choices you make may decide who lives or dies. We all have to adjust, fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I went on a brief walk today - on my own - I've become probably overly paranoid, for good reason , so take major detours to avoid people , all good then I see this couple 30ish approach, and the lad coughs (real sickly one) , no hand to mouth , was going to say something, but then thought just move on , you dont want to be engaging with idiots right now - so ther are still many idiots out ther !

thebaz wrote:
    I went on a brief walk today - on my own - I've become probably overly paranoid, for good reason , so take major detours to avoid people , all good then I see this couple 30ish approach, and the lad coughs (real sickly one) , no hand to mouth , was going to say something, but then thought just move on , you dont want to be engaging with idiots right now - so ther are still many idiots out ther !

Fair play to ya. You're doing it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

thebaz wrote: »
    Too many stupid around, what goes around comes around. Well done to you!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

i5kra wrote: »
    We are in a phony war at the moment.
    Nail on the effing head i5! It's exactly a phony war. War has been declared and there have been a few skirmishes far away, worrying of course, but the bombs haven't started dropping on people's houses yet.
    Too many stupid around, what goes around comes around. Well done to you!
    Aye, and if it only impacted them, but sadly the stupid will end up hurting and killing people who have tried not to be thick.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Its a pity really, that the majority of people are doing the right thing, social distancing, etc, and then you have people not only young people but mature people ( should I call them that) either defiantly or stupidly not doing has instructed by the hse.
    In regards to getting out I think its a good thing as long as you obey the rules.
    If people keep on disregarding the rules then I would not be surprised if we end up in a lockdown scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭ThreeGreens

If you haven't met your friend in some time and you want to go for a walk together, then presumably you will want a chat.
    2Mtrs is quite a distance for a chat when outdoors. It involves raising your voice to get over background noises. It's not the same as 2 mtrs indoors.

It's unlikely that you'd continue to stay 2mtrs apart for the whole time, and still be able to enjoy the chat.

Best to go for a walk by yourself and video chat with your friend.

Advertisement