Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift spins

Options
  • 17-03-2020 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

Given a lot of us are looking at turning to zwift for cycling fix, and as RobFowl mentioned on another thread, is there any interest in a Zwift Meetup, or even Boards.ie events?

If so, stick your zwift name down here, and I will look to set up something. Meetup would be invite only as I understand it (set time, set course), or alternatively, we could agree to attend one of the existing public events (as zwift are not allowing new events at the moment).

https://zwiftinsider.com/meetups/

Thoughts welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

There's a Zwift Ireland group, I think interest was waning a bit over the last few months but try contacting them. Maybe a few new names might give them a boost and get things going again
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2309735349260946/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭jamesd

From a read on the Facebook it looks like it was more aimed for speed and not for leisure riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

For anyone who doesn't want the racing/expense/cartoon style of Zwift, BigRingVr are doing a freebie during the Corona virus crisis,

https://www.strava.com/clubs/187025/posts/8528677

PC/Mac/Linux only I think but the software works very well, and with 11 free courses well worth a look if you are stuck indoors, supports group rides as well though I've never used that functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Great idea.

I'm a leisure rider, go for solo rides, commutes, Sunday club spins, do a few sportives and was hoping to maybe do a 200k this year.

When I use Zwift - I've found it a bit boring to do leisure rides aside from organised tour type events like Tour of Zwift where it is a bit of a challenge to finish. Maybe some sort of challenge could keep it interesting for non-racers?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The only thing I can see missing from Zwift is the ability to set up your own races/spins, this I would have liked. Is it possible? would love to set up my club league races for those who could do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

CramCycle wrote: »
    The only thing I can see missing from Zwift is the ability to set up your own races/spins, this I would have liked. Is it possible? would love to set up my club league races for those who could do it.

You can so this in road grand tours, which also lets you upload a route and it creates it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

RGT is free as well. But you need a sub if you want to create your own race or create a route. Might be an option for clubs to run a Club league. Club takes out one premium sub to create the race and everyone else can then join that race for free

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/rgt-cycling-goes-completely-free-in-light-of-covid-19-452020

Rgt completely free for time being.

Whether they cope with numbers is another thing as it's not long out of beta.

Weepsie wrote: »
    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/rgt-cycling-goes-completely-free-in-light-of-covid-19-452020

Rgt completely free for time being.

Whether they cope with numbers is another thing as it's not long out of beta.

Briliant business move, alot of people will be starting out and have put off the cost fo a smart trainer because its pricey, this will sway alot of people over. I was looking at it earlier and it doesn't look too bad. I will certainly be giving it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

It is possible. You just need to contact them. They will ask you a few details and set it up for you. But as someone mentioned above maybe they are not taking new events st the moment.

Anyway to the OP I’m interested for sure. Leisure type ride around 2.5 would suit me fine. No point stressing the body in these times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I've been using this app for the past few months. https://cms.bikethe.world/
    Loads of fantastic HD videos of great routes and climbs from around the world. Real video as opposed to the RGT or Zwift set-up.
    And it's free, still in beta :)

Briliant business move, alot of people will be starting out and have put off the cost fo a smart trainer because its pricey, this will sway alot of people over. I was looking at it earlier and it doesn't look too bad. I will certainly be giving it a try.

I used the very first iteration of it for a while and liked it. Phone wasn't good enough for this new version which is a shame as I had free access as an early user.

There's also OneLap. A Chinese Swift competitor. Completely free and had a velodrome option on its first software. Havnt used the new one

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I've been using this app for the past few months. https://cms.bikethe.world/
    Loads of fantastic HD videos of great routes and climbs from around the world. Real video as opposed to the RGT or Zwift set-up.
    And it's free, still in beta :)

It says nothing about utilising smart functionality though?(resistance changing relative to gradient etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

martyc5674 wrote: »
    It says nothing about utilising smart functionality though?(resistance changing relative to gradient etc)

https://cms.bikethe.world/how-to-get-started/

Go to the smart trainer section

Sorry for my stupidity. So I have a smart trainer (well I will tomorrow). I have a phone, a laptop with no bluetooth or ANT+ and a TV. Can I connect the trainer to the phone for watever program I use and then connect it to the TV via a DMI to the laptop or do I have another expense. Have a ton of cables. I presume I will run Zwift or whatever through my phone, and then connect that to my laptop over wifi, and just use the TV as an external monitor or is it more complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

lennymc wrote: »
    Given a lot of us are looking at turning to zwift for cycling fix, and as RobFowl mentioned on another thread, is there any interest in a Zwift Meetup, or even Boards.ie events?

If so, stick your zwift name down here, and I will look to set up something. Meetup would be invite only as I understand it (set time, set course), or alternatively, we could agree to attend one of the existing public events (as zwift are not allowing new events at the moment).

https://zwiftinsider.com/meetups/

Thoughts welcome!

I think this would be a great idea!! Was only thinking about this earlier today as I was rolling around some empty backroads here in the midlands.
    Like if an event was cancelled (thinking maybe Orwell Randonnee for example, seeing as it's the nearest 'biggie' and we're probably looking at the summer before we're let out again properly, that we could have a virtual event on that day to 'mirror' it, and we could even have an organised break halfway round for people to grab a quick bite to eat and have a toilet break etc). Could make it a tough climbing route to match the experience... have leaders at x-watts/kg so there's a blob for drafting etc.
    In an actual event on Zwift you can't see other people on the roads except for those in the same event with you....not sure how the meetups work, would it be the same if there was 13k other randomers on the same roads....how you'd keep all of us on the same route... who's in the meetup, who's just also on the roads...

if it was something we could put together, I'm in! anyone got experience in setting up an actual event I wonder? I might research it if I get a chance...up to me eyes with work at the moment though but will try find something out.

andy69 wrote: »
    I think this would be a great idea!! Was only thinking about this earlier today as I was rolling around some empty backroads here in the midlands.
    Like if an event was cancelled (thinking maybe Orwell Randonnee for example, seeing as it's the nearest 'biggie' and we're probably looking at the summer before we're let out again properly, that we could have a virtual event on that day to 'mirror' it, and we could even have an organised break halfway round for people to grab a quick bite to eat and have a toilet break etc). Could make it a tough climbing route to match the experience... have leaders at x-watts/kg so there's a blob for drafting etc.
    In an actual event on Zwift you can't see other people on the roads except for those in the same event with you....not sure how the meetups work, would it be the same if there was 13k other randomers on the same roads....how you'd keep all of us on the same route... who's in the meetup, who's just also on the roads...

if it was something we could put together, I'm in! anyone got experience in setting up an actual event I wonder? I might research it if I get a chance...up to me eyes with work at the moment though but will try find something out.

Email events@zwift.com with your idea.
    They will help you set it up.

It is possible. You just need to contact them. They will ask you a few details and set it up for you. But as someone mentioned above maybe they are not taking new events st the moment.

Anyway to the OP I’m interested for sure. Leisure type ride around 2.5 would suit me fine. No point stressing the body in these times.

Its really hard to setup events now as they wont let you clash with any other simialr event. Trying to find a time for an event is tricky as all the popular timeslots are full these days. Given lots of people off work now maybe possible to schedule something during the day when there are less events on

Sorry for my stupidity. So I have a smart trainer (well I will tomorrow). I have a phone, a laptop with no bluetooth or ANT+ and a TV. Can I connect the trainer to the phone for watever program I use and then connect it to the TV via a DMI to the laptop or do I have another expense. Have a ton of cables. I presume I will run Zwift or whatever through my phone, and then connect that to my laptop over wifi, and just use the TV as an external monitor or is it more complicated.

Zwift will let you use your phone as a bluetooth/ant+ bridge for the laptop.

RGT runs off your phone anyway, you have to run it on your phone which controls everything .The laptop is merely for running the screen on RGT

If you have an appletv at home its perfect for running zwift/rgt but bluetooth only and only allows two devices to pair. Less of an issue now that wahoo can broadcast bluetooth on multiple channels and tacx were sending cadence etc with power anyway. You'll need a bluetooth hrm though which if you have an old one (garmin) is probably ant+ only. Newer garmin and wahoo ones are dual ant+ and bluetooth

Crocked wrote: »
    Its really hard to setup events now as they wont let you clash with any other simialr event. Trying to find a time for an event is tricky as all the popular timeslots are full these days. Given lots of people off work now maybe possible to schedule something during the day when there are less events on

Yeah I never set one up but was planning on it and went through the motions(few months back maybe it’s different now)
    But I couldn’t see them having an issue with clashing times- lots of events start at same time. Worth investigating for sure maybe the meet up is the way to do it n

• Advertisement

Yeah I never set one up but was planning on it and went through the motions(few months back maybe it’s different now)
    But I couldn’t see them having an issue with clashing times- lots of events start at same time. Worth investigating for sure maybe the meet up is the way to do it n

I race with a team on Zwift, and our organiser and the organiser with another team we are frenemies with, have both talked about how hard it is getting a slot at peak times as they won't allow clashes with similar race types. You can setup meetups where you can all ride together any time you want though. You can do that in the Zwift app youself now.

Zwift have said club functionality is coming, indicated as this summer. This will allow hopefully for organising private races etc. They might move this forward given current circumstances and increased numbers on the platform for this time of year. Eric Min also said recently though that they don't do major updates at peak on-boarding times, which now maybe the case so it may even lead to a delay now on it.

Crocked wrote: »
    I race with a team on Zwift, and our organiser and the organiser with another team we are frenemies with, have both talked about how hard it is getting a slot at peak times as they won't allow clashes with similar race types. You can setup meetups where you can all ride together any time you want though. You can do that in the Zwift app youself now.

Zwift have said club functionality is coming, indicated as this summer. This will allow hopefully for organising private races etc. They might move this forward given current circumstances and increased numbers on the platform for this time of year. Eric Min also said recently though that they don't do major updates at peak on-boarding times, which now maybe the case so it may even lead to a delay now on it.

What time would be people be thinking of??
    I can contact them again.

This was there reply last time

Hi Marty,

Apologies for the delay. I'd be happy to help you setup a group ride like that. I'll need a description, title, course and distance/time selections and a list of any leaders. We do ask that every group ride have an active leader every time.

Thanks,

Logan

RGT premium features are now free for the duration.

https://www.rgtcycling.com/covid-19/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tried the free trial ride on zwift this morning - virtually killed my phone battery life, and that wasn't even controlling the turbo (I did my TrainerRoad workout). I'm not sure it was any more entertaining than the 2012 Paris Roubaix I watched on youtube yesterday to be honest. Actually it was less entertaining than Tommeke in his pomp!

Maybe a group ride would be better. I've signed up for RGT, but reluctant to download anything to my only available laptop at the moment, given it's a work one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I literally only did 2km on my new smart trainer this morning to get it setup. Have connected to my laptop using ANT+ and bluetooth (not sure bluetooth is needed when connecting via ANT+ ?) HDMI cable from laptop to my tv. Didn't get far enough to get to a hill to see if resistance would kick in though!
    360 cycles in Clontarf happened to have ANT+ dongles in stock for €25 so got one of those when collecting the trainer.

I'm going to try to do an hour tonight after the kids are in bed so should have a better sense of it then. Have already had to move it to the garage though as once up to speed the noise on the raised timber floor in the sitting room is a bit too much...

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

Im finding it so hard. Id be a decent weekend warrior and I'm going like the clappers but my character on the screen is barely moving. Im bolloxed after ten minutes.

All joking aside I think i have a tech issue. Tacx Vortex plus apple tv.

Im finding it so hard. Id be a decent weekend warrior and I'm going like the clappers but my character on the screen is barely moving. Im bolloxed after ten minutes.

All joking aside I think i have a tech issue. Tacx Vortex plus apple tv.

Check your weight in settings is correct. A friend of mine had his weight and height mixed up. He entered about 90cm height and 170kg which proved difficult to get up th hills!!

Weight is fine. Im going full gas here and it says im putting out 45 watts. my character is doing 4 kmph and I'm in the big ring out of the saddle in a full sprint.

0.6 watts per kilo im putting out going absolutely flat to the max. 80 kgs is weight

• Advertisement

Weight is fine. Im going full gas here and it says im putting out 45 watts. my character is doing 4 kmph and I'm in the big ring out of the saddle in a full sprint.

Ah something wrong there... my 10 year old can hold 100watts for half an hour!

Advertisement