Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

elperello wrote: »
    Might sound a bit gross but if you have to use paper that won't flush you can put it in a bin beside the loo and dispose in black bin or compost.

When I was in Greece, this was drilled into us wherever we stayed (as in 'don't flush any type of paper down the loo'). When we eventually started doing it, I was surprised at how the bin didn't stink at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Re the user "Pseudonym121" claiming to be a health worker, I may have missed it but has it been confirmed by mods/admins that this person is who they say they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

you tested negative last week ?
    Testing negative once does not mean you don't have it. Look at the number of people who test positive after doing 2 or more tests after their negative result.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

skimpydoo wrote: »
    If you won't name the pub at least name where they are. Give us an idea so that we can do what we we are going to do with the Molly Malone. Never darken its doors.

i too would like to know the location of this establishment, ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

iguana wrote: »
    They aren't testing huge amounts of people with likely symptoms. They are just telling them to stay home for 7 days but that it's ok for the people who live with them to head off about their normal lives. It's part of their new plan.

Would appear to be! Causes less public anxiety. Carry on and get infected!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Good news, the Sun is creeping through the clouds, spring is coming

Don`t think too many care that much about the weather now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Imagine being in jail now, at least we can go out to pick up groceries

huh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

nthclare wrote: »
    Hope you get good results, and are going to be ok this is the first hand I've hear of someone getting tested.

My thoughts are with you, nothing I can really say but good luck with it

Yep! Thanks for your kind post!!!

People just need to cop on. IT IS THIS SERIOUS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

elperello wrote: »
    Well personally I'd still prefer to see a bit of social responsibility at a time like this.

Maybe it's too much to ask though.

Big difference in the price of houses and hand sanitiser.

There isn't in a market based economy. Supply and demand. Google it.

Granted the difference is that the majority of people have houses so we don't care so much about the supply of housing / homeless people.

This is different in that the majority don't have the commodity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

good explanation of why you delay (or graduate) the shutdown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

skimpydoo wrote: »
    Testing negative once does not mean you don't have it. Look at the number of people who test positive after doing 2 or more tests after their negative result.

he is winding people up about something that is no joking matter, he has a history of it

Achasanai wrote: »
    If there's nothing wrong with what they're doing, why aren't you telling everyone the name of the pub?

Adults* worried about being a 'rat' when they could be helping to prevent the spread of a disease that kills old people. The priorities that some people have.

*I'm just assuming you're an adult.

It's not true. That's why he won't name it

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

wadacrack wrote: »
    Obesity and overall mass seems to play a massive role. Women/children obviously much less mass and aren't getting hit as much. South Korea obesity rates much lower than Italy also. Seen this mentioned in an Italian source that its the biggest factor. But doesn't seem to mainstream probably to avoid fat shaming etc.

Makes sense really more mass = more oxygen requirement and unfit people usually have less lung capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

16 deaths in countries other than Spain/France/Italy/Germany/UK today

+4 in Sweden
    +2 Austria
    +4 Switzerland
    +2 Denmark
    +4Netherlands

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Greenland reporting its first case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

spookwoman wrote: »
    What about using cloth, washing it like they did in the old days with babies before wetwipes

That will work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Cupatae wrote: »
    Is the country going into complete shut down for two weeks or is that all nonsense ?

IMO no not yet, if we stick to HSE government advise, but if we don’t it would obviously be the the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Don`t think too many care that much about the weather now.

as the weather improves , the hospitals will be less busy cos there will be less winter flu cases , freeing up space for covid patients, its very relevant

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Hopefully some people will take away from this situation is not to believe social media the amount of bull**** scaremongering and absolute ignorance going around on Twitter,Facebook etc there's little wonder people are panic buying and doing stupid ****

Had someone argue with me on facebook that there was over a thousand people in dunnes last night and I in there myself and it was dead in there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Considering 3,000 have died in China which has 27 times Irelands population 10k dead would result in health system collapsing in this country and complete panic among the population

I agree but I just wonder what do authorities HSE, WHO etc consider the realistic best case scenario for infection rates over the next 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

statesaver wrote: »
    Any idea why ?
    Herd mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

i too would like to know the location of this establishment, ...

There is absolutely no reason why they won't name it, yet...here we are.

Possibly bull$h1t, possibly just trying to get a reaction.

Its difficult to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Bambi wrote: »

They haven't even begun clinical trials on humans. Looking at minimum 18 months to 2 years before that would be available publicly

You read a dozen of these claims daily.

Nearly 20 years on we have no cure for SARS which should tell you everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Bambi wrote: »

Johnson&Johnson have apparently said there is no evidence that those treatments work, i also find it odd they are looking for funding for clinical trials, i mean, it they were that close you'd think funding would'nt be a problem?

Hope i'm wrong on that BTW.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

wakka12 wrote: »
    Are there any theories as to why this is hitting developed countries so much harder? Even in Asia it is the most develoeped countries that seem to be taking the hardest hit Singpoare,Japan, korea, China and less so in Indonesia and the south east

Travel more internationally? Older populations?
    I'd reckon more mask wearing, less obesity and diabetes(though more smokers) and faster reactions to threats from authorities, with less reticence to shut things down and more social compliance with orders from authority and community.
    Which mask are you referring to? A bog standard lightweight mouth/nose mask is of little to no medical value unless you have symptoms (in which case you should be at home anyway). The virus enters the eyes and will get around the pretty flimsy masks most people are wearing as they do not contour around the face tightly enough and they have no actual filter effect
    While I mostly agree with the paper mask efficacy actually the eye route is still highly debatable. This study into SARS and Covid19 found the likelihood low. Though they advised eye protection for healthcare workers as a precaution.

I mostly agree regarding the usefulness of masks though I'd be willing to bet quite a bit that if everyone was wearing even the flimsy paper type transmission would go down. Problem is we don't have enough to go around and health workers need them more. If a majority were wearing the proper half face with pp3 filter respirators I have no doubt transmission would go down. But that would cost a fortune to dole out to the population, especially now. I got mine ages ago way before Covid and it cost under 20 quid, now **** on ebay and amazon are looking nigh on a hundred quid each and more for the same model.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ShayNanigan

In unrelated news... St. Patrick seen in Temple Bar a few minutes ago

https://pasteboard.co/IZn9Irx.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Considering 3,000 have died in China which has 27 times Irelands population 10k dead would result in health system collapsing in this country and complete panic among the population

270 times not 27

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement