Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

No.

I hear that pub has closed now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Report on BBC world service today, that Iran has MASSIVELY under-reported the figures. Two statisticians have stated that there must be in excess of 100K cases based on the number of known infected individuals. We will never know alas. Satellite imagery show massive mass graves being dug. Shocking if this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Eu are bringing in restrictions to necessary travel only. Does this mean we can close the border ?

source?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

Which mask are you referring to? A bog standard lightweight mouth/nose mask is of little to no medical value unless you have symptoms (in which case you should be at home anyway). The virus enters the eyes and will get around the pretty flimsy masks most people are wearing as they do not contour around the face tightly enough and they have no actual filter effect
    !

You have to differentiate between surgical masks (one way protection) and respirators (two way protection). In any event any mask reduces the risk of you breathing in droplets from someone coughing or sneezing close by.

Here is a good explanation of the various types/specs:

https://fastlifehacks.com/n95-vs-ffp/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Boris Johnson is putting the lives of several million of his own citizens at risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

good explanation of why you delay (or graduate) the shutdown

In theory it appears a good strategy, in reality it is not, more than likely they are going to be overrun with cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

rossie1977 wrote: »
    They haven't even begun clinical trials on humans. Looking at minimum 18 months to 2 years before that would be available publicly

You read a dozen of these claims daily.

Nearly 20 years on we have no cure for SARS which should tell you everything

SARS was contained. We are trying to contain this. Also no non asian people got SARS. This is different and global resources will be allocated.

Polio? Smallpox? This is not our first rodeo. Read a book

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Humanitarian groups warn of Covid-19 "carnage" among refugee camps

Don't worry. Turkey has only 18 cases :rolleyes: Those Syrian refugees are grand.

I hope there are consequences for the countries hiding their figures or not testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

spookwoman wrote: »

That's a horrible announcement. It really is unclear if that's 'priority checkout access' for older people or them having exclusive access to the store. Also what do the terms 'elderly' and 'older more vulnerable customers' actually mean. Who actually qualifies?
    * I don't mean doing this for vulnerable people is horrible - I mean the wording of the announcement leaves a lot to be desired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I’m not a rat. Also why message them, they aren’t doing anything illegal.

What is your fascination with the pubs and going for pints? Have you tried an AA meeting John?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

NSAman wrote: »
    Report on BBC world service today, that Iran has MASSIVELY under-reported the figures. Two statisticians have stated that there must be in excess of 100K cases based on the number of known infected individuals. We will never know alas. Satellite imagery show massive mass graves being dug. Shocking if this is true.

That would put them on a par with Italy. I suspect the real Italian figure is about 100k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Achasanai wrote: »
    If there's nothing wrong with what they're doing, why aren't you telling everyone the name of the pub?

Adults* worried about being a 'rat' when they could be helping to prevent the spread of a disease that kills old people. The priorities that some people have.

*I'm just assuming you're an adult.

This whole Coronavirus has really helped uncover the selfish, childish assholes who would rather not disrupt their own pleasure and craic (i.e. gargling) for the common good.

I would say they should be ashamed of their behaviour but they really have no shame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

tenor.gif?itemid=8644559

• Registered Users Posts: 9,398 ✭✭✭irishgeo

If they are testing already approved drugs on the virus surely that would speed up the process of getting the drug approved if it works on malaria and/or HIV?

As for funding the research Bill gates and his foundation have 45 billion and norway charity Novo Nordisk Foundation (medical research) has 49 billions dollars, so i cant see funding being an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

My job recently finished which had nothing to do with the coronavirus. People are being told not to visit the Intreo office and to download the application form and post it in instead. But my form (the normal one) needs to be signed by a witness. What should I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭1641

dan786 wrote: »

I wonder who will launch the first age discrimination case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

tenor.gif?itemid=8644559

Are they sending an ambulance to you for testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

fifth wrote: »
    Haven't been able to find a single bottle of hand sanitiser anywhere in weeks. People must have been stockpiling it surely? We are just regular old hand washing here and being mindful, staying in away from other people for now.
    Speaking of sanitiser I have thoughts on what should happen to this chap!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51909045

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Speak Now wrote: »
    Regular flu is seasonal.

As in that it has a season, just like football does. It's nothing to do with the weather.

You can't catch a virus, including colds from cold weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Hearing of private companies laying off staff due to cutbacks and ceo's and their management structure looking after each other, I don't know if its true maybe a rumour.

But if these cnuts are earning 250,000 a year... 140,000 then 4 more on 80, 000 they should be locked up or people should show solidarity when things improve and work to rule.
    Im not undermining small business which won't cope and its plausible to have to let people go.
    That's reasonable.

But this kind of carry on certain companies looking after their upper team is criminal and immoral.

pH wrote: »
    That's a horrible announcement. It really is unclear if that's 'priority checkout access' for older people or them having exclusive access to the store. Also what do the terms 'elderly' and 'older more vulnerable customers' actually mean. Who actually qualifies?

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭1641

pH wrote: »

Yeah - I wouldn't know whether to be chuffed or offended.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

murpho999 wrote: »
    As in that it has a season, just like football does. It's nothing to do with the weather.

You can't catch a virus, including colds from cold weather.

seasons have similar weather patterns , so the point stands, seasons can change early due to weather changes

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

NSAman wrote: »

Not sure why the BBC is worrying about Iran when they should be looking inward, reporting about the under testing/reporting in the UK!

Are they sending an ambulance to you for testing?

Haven't a breeze. Expecting a call shortly. Scarlet if they send an ambulance cause they are nosy fcukers around here. I'll breath in all their letter boxes if they look at me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

wakka12 wrote: »
    China has seen a bit of a bump the last two days. Almost 70 new cases in the last 48 hours, had been just 5-15 new cases daily for several weeks prior to this.
    Goes to show how incredibly difficult this is to contain through quarantine procedures

There cases are all imported

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Note just in the door - Community group offering help to elderly and housebound for groceries etc

(hope they were sanitising)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

rossie1977 wrote: »
    The HSE said 200 cases a week they can cope.

500 cases a week over couple of weeks and months and you are looking at complete breakdown of health service in this country.

200 a week is 10400 a year. So if we assume 10% of cases result in hospitalisation that would be 104000 in total getting the infection. 104000 is only about 2% of the population. Is this a feasible infection rate?
    Even at only 5%of cases requiring hospital we will still need to keep infection rate at 4%.
    My question is, is this feasible. Maybe check my sums and assumptions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement