Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

pH wrote: »
    That's a horrible announcement. It really is unclear if that's 'priority checkout access' for older people or them having exclusive access to the store. Also what do the terms 'elderly' and 'older more vulnerable customers' actually mean. Who actually qualifies?
    * I don't mean doing this for vulnerable people is horrible - I mean the wording of the announcement leaves a lot to be desired.
    After a week on here I'd say most do! Bit in your face post though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Currently waiting to be tested myself. Was in contact with someone two weeks ago who has since been confirmed as positive. I was feeling unwell last week and didn't realise that I had been in contact with someone who was positive until Saturday. My symptoms have now passed but the doctors want to test me anyway.

If I may ask how long did they last for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not sure why the BBC is worrying about Iran when they should be looking inward, reporting about the under testing/reporting in the UK!

True story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

is_that_so wrote: »
    Speaking of sanitiser I have thoughts on what should happen to this chap!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51909045

Again we seem to be fine with price gauging when someone else needs the thing.
    • cancer drugs
    • hiv drugs
    • housing
    • and now hand sanitzer

Not really shocking. Blame the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

If I may ask how long did they last for?

Lasted five days in total. It could be a coincidence, so I'm not jumping to any conclusions for now, but taking all necessary precautions (isolation) until I get tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

Haven't a breeze. Expecting a call shortly. Scarlet if they send an ambulance cause they are nosy fcukers around here. I'll breath in all their letter boxes if they look at me

Haha. I'm at home and my mams main concern is my feicin bedroom cause apparently it's a tip cause there's makeup all over my desk lol. I was told cause I work in a hospital they'll be out asap but can take up to 48 hours but hoping it's a drop in place so I can get out! Are you going out into a garden etc? If we both have it lets hang out and isolate together lol

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

john_doe. wrote: »
    Anyone else spouse healthcare workers and on front line of this now?
    Going out of mind with worry

Yes what with lack of PPE, ventilators, staff , crap wages, over zealous micro management by administrators , selective divulging of plans I could go on but what I’m really worried about is viral overload

Plenty of stories of nurses: doctors and other health staff among the fatalities,the Chinese doctor who broke the story must of been exposed to huge amounts of the virus he looked young and healthy and I have not read any reports of him suffering from any underlying conditions.., there’s only so much exposure to the virus that the human body can take

Watched a documentary on BBC 2 last night filmed in Wuhan it featured a nurse. They had every type of PPE available but after 5 days she was diagnosed with covid 19 no bed for her In hospital ( they had started building the new one at this stage)back to her apartment with her partner to self isolate condition got worse with cray showing white blobs on lower respiratory lungs thankfully she got a bed in hospital with ventilator thankfully survived but it was scary watching ....

Can I ask what advise or plan have you got in place if either of you contract covid 19? Do you have children?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Not sure why the BBC is worrying about Iran when they should be looking inward, reporting about the under testing/reporting in the UK!

Deflection , show Iran as the baddy , keeps the Mass's happy
    Makes Boris look great

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Will this impact on movement from UK to Ireland?

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1239571400903581697?s=19

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ZX7R wrote: »
    There cases are all imported

Source? :)

Seriously though, are you sure?

All new/recent cases are being reported in Hubai province, and, AFAIK, that province is on lock down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

nthclare wrote: »
    Hearing of private companies laying off staff due to cutbacks and ceo's and their management structure looking after each other, I don't know if its true maybe a rumour.

But if these cnuts are earning 250,000 a year... 140,000 then 4 more on 80, 000 they should be locked up or people should show solidarity when things improve and work to rule.
    Im not undermining small business which won't cope and its plausible to have to let people go.
    That's reasonable.

But this kind of carry on certain companies looking after their upper team is criminal and immoral.
    I do know of one business, reliant on foreign visitors, where the top level have been retained for two months but everyone else is laid off. I think we can easily predict very large numbers if this goes on months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Scarlet if they send an ambulance cause they are nosy fcukers around here. I'll breath in all their letter boxes if they look at me

Was an ambulance around my area last week, someone had a fall in their house but wasnt 5 mins before the gossip brigade started

The amount of people i've talked to who said they had symptoms last week (or earlier) is unreal. Didn't self-isolate, didn't get tested (weren't eligible), just carried on. Young people who ultimately were fine but probably had it and probably passed it on to several people.

I believe we're absolutely riddled with it already. The measures we take today (or tomorrow) will have no impact on the curve for at least 7-14 days. We're going to be dropping like flies by the end of the week.

Everyone in the country should have been wearing masks since February. An improvised mask (triangle of cloth) is better than no mask. Downplaying the effectiveness of masks in favour of absurd hand sanitizer guidelines will ultimately cost thousands of lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Eu are bringing in restrictions to necessary travel only. Does this mean we can close the border ?
    We always could, not an EU competence, just the little matter of the GFA, and a totally porous border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

BBC World Service - the clue is in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

It may have been posted already, but the below simulations show how effective social distancing has on flattening the curve: I will give you a hint...it's super important!!

Look at the direction the UK are going and you will see their outcomes - the "free-for-all" model.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,398 ✭✭✭irishgeo

As i keep saying if all countries are under reporting the amount of cases they have, that means the death rate will be lower.

People who had it and didnt realise are not counted and therefore recovered cases are higher and death rate lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They had to cast around to try to find a country doing a worse job than themselves.
    Classic diversionary tactic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Shn99 wrote: »
    Was an ambulance around my area last week, someone had a fall in their house but wasnt 5 mins before the gossip brigade started

Is it not a rapid response car they send?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Madness in Tesco this morning, trollies from one end of the shop to the other, please stop it people, come in for bare essentials only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Queue outside the dole office in Youghal an hour ago.
    Sad to see.
    And the shīt has yet to really hit the fan!
    Tough times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ireland needs to make a choice here.

If the UK continue to under report their figures and act in the feckless way they are what good is it us taking the actions we are taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

so what exactly is closing, might be a shorter list...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

So is it’s most people’s opinion that Ireland has done a good job so far in its handling of this , have we implemented the correct response at the right time and that we shouldn’t see the devastation that has hit Italy once the general public play ball in helping to stop the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

1641 wrote: »
    Yeah - I wouldn't know whether to be chuffed or offended.:)

If you get offered the 10% discount without asking for it on Thursdays, at Woodies then you are elderly.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

The German foreign ministry is now advising against all non-essential travel abroad. It would be helpful if ours did the same.

https://twitter.com/HeikoMaas/status/1239298589291163656?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tagesschau.de%2Finland%2Fcorona-reisewarnung-maas-101.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Shn99 wrote: »

Friends in Italy have described it as terrifying. Everyone in isolation but all you can here are the steady stream of ambulances bringing people to hospital. Psychological torture but an unintended deterrent for not venturing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Don't get involved. If she tests positive you will find out and go from there

I suppose that's the question I'm asking, if a work colleague tested positive what's the protocol? Does the HSE contact the company directly and advise them to get it's staff tested or is it down to the individual? The person involved is out of work since last Wednesday but is only now talking about getting checked out. Like plenty here, I'm not overly concerned about myself but I have several close family members who are high risk. I don't particularly want to get involved, sooner or later this individual will hang herself with a rope of her own making without help from anyone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Ireland needs to make a choice here.

If the UK continue to under report their figures and act in the feckless way they are what good is it us taking the actions we are taking?

We are following Europe's lead (Although too late)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

revelman wrote: »
    The German foreign ministry is now advising against all non-essential travel abroad. It would be helpful if ours did the same.

https://twitter.com/HeikoMaas/status/1239298589291163656?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tagesschau.de%2Finland%2Fcorona-reisewarnung-maas-101.html

Surely what the EU commission head is now saying will cover this??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement