Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Friend in Dublin from England has just put up on Facebook that her and her nephew have found a pub that's open. Obviously not going to put the name or location on here, but seems not everyone is doing what they were asked.

Don't name it here, send a message to Simon Harris or De Taoish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Nermal

People won't accept what? Grow the fvck up and do your part. Have a look at the death notices in an Italian town. All of which died alone, with no wake or funeral.

People will not accept economic devastation without an end in sight when there is an alternative.

I'm absolutely willing to do my part. I'm nearly 40, I'm not at high risk, but not zero risk either.

Relax the lockdown for those of us who are low risk. Let us be the barrier to infection in the elderly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

elperello wrote: »
    Social responsibility maybe.

Social responsibility. That is not part of the system. We have government to regulate. We can't on the one hand high five each other as our house prices go up during a housing crisis and then on the other moan if someone has bought all the hand sanitizer.

Personally don't mind either way but thems the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

rossie1977 wrote: »
    If everyone wore masks and gloves outside it would help yes because its impossible to determine how many are truly infected or how many are asymptomatic and don't know.

Problem is there ain't enough masks for everyone

Which mask are you referring to? A bog standard lightweight mouth/nose mask is of little to no medical value unless you have symptoms (in which case you should be at home anyway). The virus enters the eyes and will get around the pretty flimsy masks most people are wearing as they do not contour around the face tightly enough and they have no actual filter effect

Gloves are a help. Buy three/four pairs of light ones and use them in rotation, wash and dry them and do not wipe your mouth nose and eye areas while wearing them cos that defeats the purpose!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

youtube! wrote: »
    Hey I am not sure if I should just stay home or go to work, I work construction . I have been told it is my choice but as self employed I really dont know if I will even get paid next month. Anyway my big worry is the toilets they are a disgrace , basically 6 cubicles in a 20 ft container which rarely get cleaned, like it is disgusting so I generally will just go to the loo in the pub if I am badly stuck, of course they are all closed now so... my gut feeling is telling me to stay at home for a while and not risk it but I dunno what the right thing to do is.

As long as you take precautions it should be fine. Just bring around some anti bacterial wips with you, wipe things down before using them and your hands after using it. Construction is a low risk profession in this regard because there is little close contact

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Markets will continue to fall for next couple of weeks until some positive news regarding a vaccine or lowering of cases.
    Excellent time to throw some money in an index fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Coronavirus: US volunteers to test first vaccine

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Good afternoon! I am getting tested this afternoon. Feel like absolute crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

How's everyone's lockdown going ;)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Best of luck and keep us all posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Good luck. Hope it turns out negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

dan786 wrote: »

UK cases

As of 9am on 16 March 2020, 44,105 people have been tested in the UK, of which 42,562 were confirmed negative and 1,543 were confirmed as positive the government says.

My friend is a consultant geriatrics doctor in the NHS, she has a fever and has been told to self isolate, they will not test her though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

youtube! wrote: »
    Hey I am not sure if I should just stay home or go to work, I work construction . I have been told it is my choice but as self employed I really dont know if I will even get paid next month. Anyway my big worry is the toilets they are a disgrace , basically 6 cubicles in a 20 ft container which rarely get cleaned, like it is disgusting so I generally will just go to the loo in the pub if I am badly stuck, of course they are all closed now so... my gut feeling is telling me to stay at home for a while and not risk it but I dunno what the right thing to do is.

Get on to boss tell him if he doesn't hire someone to keep the toilets clean and supply sanitiser you won't go in.

If they want the work done the cost involved in cleaning the toilets will be less than missing deadlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Friend in Dublin from England has just put up on Facebook that her and her nephew have found a pub that's open. Obviously not going to put the name or location on here, but seems not everyone is doing what they were asked.

Is it a stand-alone pub or is it part of a hotel?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Good luck. Hope it turns out negative.

I now know i was in touch with someone who went skiiing in Italy who has a confirmed case! Fcuking scared as i have asthma. Can barely breath and am dizzy as ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

stay positive!

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Martina1991

john_doe. wrote:
    Anyone else spouse healthcare workers and on front line of this now? Going out of mind with worry
    I think a lot of worry comes down to fear of the unknown. Looking to Italy, Spain and the UK we're trying to guess how we'd cope. Social media being a vector for a lot of fear.

Its like seeing a tidal wave in the distance and waiting for it to hit you.

All we can do is prepare. I think the government and HSE are doing a good job so far. A total lockdown overnight would cause more panic. Small changes give people a chance to adjust their lives. Assuming people do as they're told.

All hospitals are doing everything they can to prepare. This goes beyond what you hear in the news, and its not just the front line.

All services are being cut back to emergencies only. Wards are being transformed, more beds being allocated, equipment being sourced.
    The cleaners, plumbers, electricians, carpenters and more working over the weekends to prepare.

Personally my level of worry only goes up when i read this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Nermal wrote: »
    People will not accept economic devastation without an end in sight when there is an alternative.

I'm absolutely willing to do my part. I'm nearly 40, I'm not at high risk, but not zero risk either.

Relax the lockdown for those of us who are low risk. Let us be the barrier to infection in the elderly.

Not how pandemics work.

I suggest you read a book, previous threads, epidemiological studies etc.

I know some people have lost their jobs. It's the governments job to protect the most vulnerable in society which now includes those people. They've introduced the rules for a reason. The economy will take a massive hit either way.
    This is a war.

If you sign a disclaimer on behalf of all of your contacts and their contacts etc to not put a burden on our fragile health system then I wouldn't mind relaxing the "lockdown" which isn't nearly harsh enough. You wouldn't do that would you?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/27/bill-gates-in-2018-world-needs-to-prepare-for-pandemics-just-like-war.html

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

dan786 wrote: »

UK cases

As of 9am on 16 March 2020, 44,105 people have been tested in the UK, of which 42,562 were confirmed negative and 1,543 were confirmed as positive the government says.
    No such category possible as 'Confirmed Negative' for swab samples for COVID-19, only 'Positive' or 'Not Positive'.

From date of infection, majority testing positive will take at least 14 days to start showing not positive again, very small % of case still showing positive 35 days after date of infection.

Info. available from multiple medical sources

Similar confusion to test results as Cervical screening test, absence of evidence is no evidence of absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The reason cases in Iceland appear high relative to their tiny population is because it is screening the general population, 1000 tests per day. One of the only countries in the world to be doing this.
    So far 1% of tests are coming back positive, would imply at the very least 1% of mainland Europeans are also infected with coronavirus
    https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/news/2020/03/16/first_decode_covid_19_findings_are_in/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Would it be a good idea for anyone who goes outside to wear a mask? Seems to have had a positive effect in other regions and may halt the spread here.

No as the masks that people are wearing are often poor quality and don't really stop the virus.
    There are numerous articles and videos showing how masks are basically ineffective and not needed.
    Also it will only help with stopping carriers spreading it. If you don't have the virus then they don't do anything.

Social distancing and contact are the key battles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Don't name it here, send a message to Simon Harris or De Taoish.

I’m not a rat. Also why message them, they aren’t doing anything illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,754 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Social responsibility. That is not part of the system. We have government to regulate. We can't on the one hand high five each other as our house prices go up during a housing crisis and then on the other moan if someone has bought all the hand sanitizer.

Personally don't mind either way but thems the rules.

Well personally I'd still prefer to see a bit of social responsibility at a time like this.

Maybe it's too much to ask though.

Big difference in the price of houses and hand sanitiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Do you live alone?

Wishing you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You absolutely should name and shame, if there had been no video the temple bar would still be open today along with who knows how many others, its the only thing these selfish ignorant parasites understand, negative attention

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

So are all pubs closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

I have seen many people say this over the last while . I have also seen people say that the health officials are putting out the message that there’s no point I masks so as people won’t bulk buy them as frontline staff need them .
    Normally I would never believe conspiracy type things but this did make me wonder as to the truth that masks are useless , if they are useless to prevent you picking up the virus then why are health staff wearing them and changing them each time they see a different patient ? Is it a case that wearing them won’t protect them but might lower the risk as opposed to if they wore no masks at all ??
    Genuinely would love to know the answer to this.

Which mask are you referring to? A bog standard lightweight mouth/nose mask is of little to no medical value unless you have symptoms (in which case you should be at home anyway). The virus enters the eyes and will get around the pretty flimsy masks most people are wearing as they do not contour around the face tightly enough and they have no actual filter effect

Gloves are a help. Buy three/four pairs of light ones and use them in rotation, wash and dry them and do not wipe your mouth nose and eye areas while wearing them cos that defeats the purpose!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Man, the symptons are fcuking horrendous if i do have it. Flu *10 (I know it's not a flu)

Stay calm. It's most likely the person you met is not a carrier. Numbers are on your side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Another side effect which is less obvious until it becomes obvious.

Consumers have been warned of the dangers of substituting kitchen roll and wet wipes for toilet paper which – if flushed down the loo – could overwhelm the UK’s sewers.

Innocent consumer substitutions due to shortages caused by fears about the spread of coronovirus could create serious consequences which are critical to society and life, according to leading supply chain academic Prof Richard Wilding.

The warning comes amid panic buying sweeping UK supermarkets, which has resulted in some people trying to make a massive profit by selling toilet roll and hand sanitiser online.

Helpful tip: Using baby lotion during your absterging makes your toilet paper go further.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement