Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Video message from Giovanni Zampino a 40-year old who's been in intensive care at the Maria Vittoria hospital in Turin for a week.
    He was admitted to hospital with his father Antonio, both diagnosed with Covid-19. Giovanni is winning his battle while his father Antonio (76) lost his. The last time he saw his father was when they were admitted and he discovered he was dead in a text offering condolences. "I think he died at the beginning of the week I'm not sure."

Hello everyone, sorry for the mask but unfortunately I still can’t speak without it.
    I want to make this video because too many people are not taking seriously this goddam virus which turned my life upside down about 10 days ago.

My name is Giovanni Zampino. I’m from Turin. Up until a few days ago, my life was carrying on as normal. My main job was talking care of my father and enjoying my hobbies, amongst which a lot of sport and friends. A completely normal life just like many of you.

I have to say, like others, I underestimated this godforsaken virus. I thought it was political, military, a hoax…a lot of things. I did nothing out of the ordinary to have gotten this virus but unfortunately it got into my body and affected the person dearest to me; my father.

A lot of people say this is just like the flu. I can tell you this virus is not just a flu. It gets into you and possesses you and it attacks your lungs and airways. The worst thing is that we don’t know anything about it. How do you defeat something that you don’t know about? There’s too much ignorance.

The message I want to give you is please be careful. Stay at home for 15 days. Stay with your families. Play board games, watch films, read a book. We can only get our lives back to normal, if everyone together follows these instructions. Because you must understand this is not a game. I spend my nights with the oxygen mask. I can’t sleep. My life has completely changed, and I don’t want anyone to go through what I’ve gone through. This is like being in a horror film. Unfortunately, it’s reality.

https://video.lastampa.it/torino/io-e-mio-padre-affetti-da-covid-19-io-sono-vivo-per-miracolo-e-lui-e-morto-questo-non-e-un-gioco/111409/111408

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

wakka12 wrote: »
    Vaccine will take a while but treatment will be here soon
    And this is where we need to take hope.
    The vaccine will not be available until next year, but successful treatment (for the overwhelming majority) will be here soon. There are a number of ongoing treatments already producing very significant positive outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Are there any theories as to why this is hitting developed countries so much harder? Even in Asia it is the most develoeped countries that seem to be taking the hardest hit Singpoare,Japan, korea, China and less so in Indonesia and the south east

Travel more internationally? Older populations?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Finally managed to find a few packets of anti-bacterial wipes in a little convenience store outside Galway. Haven't seen them in well over a week so a bit of a relief. Still not a sign of hand sanitiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,825 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ipso wrote: »
    For the love of sweet merciful sh1te

Ironically that was the opening line from the Priest at my local Church on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Are there any theories as to why this is hitting developed countries so much harder? Even in Asia it is the most develoeped countries that seem to be taking the hardest hit Singpoare,Japan, korea, China and less so in Indonesia and the south east
    No testing so no cases

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Better health are systems probably means it is getting reported and treated better.

In developing countries it probably isn't being recorded all that accurately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I managed to get toilet paper in Dealz!
    Imported from China?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

UK cases

As of 9am on 16 March 2020, 44,105 people have been tested in the UK, of which 42,562 were confirmed negative and 1,543 were confirmed as positive the government says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Travel more internationally? Older populations?
    Yeah those would be the major two things. Add to that far more advanced infrastructure so people will travel around the countries more, and better public transport and services so more options for big crowds of people to be in the same confined spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Another side effect which is less obvious until it becomes obvious.

From guardian
    Consumers have been warned of the dangers of substituting kitchen roll and wet wipes for toilet paper which – if flushed down the loo – could overwhelm the UK’s sewers.

Innocent consumer substitutions due to shortages caused by fears about the spread of coronovirus could create serious consequences which are critical to society and life, according to leading supply chain academic Prof Richard Wilding.

The warning comes amid panic buying sweeping UK supermarkets, which has resulted in some people trying to make a massive profit by selling toilet roll and hand sanitiser online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Nermal wrote: »
    They are just not realistic options. The public will not accept them and nor should they.

It was only 10 days ago people were saying it's a cold. Let's fast forward 14 days when health service overwhelmed and some people who were johnny big balls on here are crying on here asking how to get a loved one admitted to a hospital.

People won't accept what? Grow the fvck up and do your part. Have a look at the death notices in an Italian town. All of which died alone, with no wake or funeral.

https://twitter.com/davcarretta/status/1238791068071661568?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Its even more shameful that the retailers don't take action and limit them to two items max per customer. Its not like they're going to be stuck with large amounts of stock and unable to sell it. People stock pile because retailers allow it. Retailler's are at fault here not the panicked public.

Retailers buy stock to sell it on and make a profit. Why should they care who buys the stock, once it's sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Firs case in Greenland, in the capital

Big jumps in South America considering how few cases there was until very recently
    Chile +80 (Since this announcement Chile has closed it's borders)
    Columbia +20
    Bolivia +15
    Peru+15
    Mexico +10
    And Brazil reached 200 cases last night

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Would it be a good idea for anyone who goes outside to wear a mask? Seems to have had a positive effect in other regions and may halt the spread here.

If everyone wore masks and gloves outside it would help yes because its impossible to determine how many are truly infected or how many are asymptomatic and don't know.

Problem is there ain't enough masks for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭kingshankly

When is the last tome boris has been seen

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

dan786 wrote: »

UK cases

As of 9am on 16 March 2020, 44,105 people have been tested in the UK, of which 42,562 were confirmed negative and 1,543 were confirmed as positive the government says.

UK only testing a small portion actually in hospital now apparently.

All for public relations.

This despite the WHO saying the most robust and widespread testing was needed to track and fight the disease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Kivaro wrote: »
    And this is where we need to take hope.
    The vaccine will not be available until next year, but successful treatment (for the overwhelming majority) will be here soon. There are a number of ongoing treatments already producing very significant positive outcomes.

What evidence do you have for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

nthclare wrote: »
    I wonder will we see this at the pumps?

prices have dropped significantly already at the pumps 10c a litre off kerosene since before christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

dublin99 wrote: »
    I make my own:

2 parts 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
    1 part Aloe Vera Gel (Mine also has tea tree oil, leftover from use as after-sun in summer)
    Few drops essential oil for fragrance.

I use a recycled/sterilised hand wash bottle with pump. Voila!

After shave contains denatured alcohol, cheap Bruut or old spice for a few euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

rossie1977 wrote: »
    If everyone wore masks and gloves outside it would help yes because its impossible to determine how many are truly infected or how many are asymptomatic and don't know.

Problem is there ain't enough masks for everyone

Irish company capable of making 2.6million a week.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/limerick-firm-set-to-double-output-of-face-masks-amid-covid-19-fears-985868.html

Government could insist on purchasing the whole lot for next few weeks and hand out to every house in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Retailers buy stock to sell it on and make a profit. Why should they care who buys the stock, once it's sold.

Social responsibility maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Friend in Dublin from England has just put up on Facebook that her and her nephew have found a pub that's open. Obviously not going to put the name or location on here, but seems not everyone is doing what they were asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Nermal wrote: »
    They are just not realistic options. The public will not accept them and nor should they.

There really isn't another option, the only other 3 options are:

A) 'Uncontrolled spread'

Let the virus burn itself out in one huge outbreak - expected death toll 5% of population.

B) 'Flatten the curve' -Manage the disease in the community at a rate that the health service can handle until 'herd immunity' kicks in
    (This would need 1,000 people in Ireland being infected every day for the next 7 years)

C) 'Protect the vulnerable' - Do everything to isolate and protect older and vulnerable people and encourage the rest to catch the disease (over a shortish time period) - Political suicide and with possible civil unrest.

Only 'real' option

Serious lockdown and aggressive fight the outbreak (about 6 weeks)

Then either:
    2A return to normal (expect another outbreak in 6 weeks time/rinse/repeat)
    2B Isolate (Island or state) with 14 day quarantine for all people entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Longing

My wife went to town earlier she couldn't get into Aldi. Packed to the door she estimated 300 to 400 people inside.

Then she went to a chemist there were only letting in two at a time..Lol

On a separate note the stock markets taking a hammering even with the US Fed pumping in 700 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

dan786 wrote: »

Good advice : I was in my local Dunnes yesterday evening and people were already doing this (which is a good sign)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Hey I am not sure if I should just stay home or go to work, I work construction . I have been told it is my choice but as self employed I really dont know if I will even get paid next month. Anyway my big worry is the toilets they are a disgrace , basically 6 cubicles in a 20 ft container which rarely get cleaned, like it is disgusting so I generally will just go to the loo in the pub if I am badly stuck, of course they are all closed now so... my gut feeling is telling me to stay at home for a while and not risk it but I dunno what the right thing to do is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Friend in Dublin from England has just put up on Facebook that her and her nephew have found a pub that's open. Obviously not going to put the name or location on here, but seems not everyone is doing what they were asked.

Name them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

When is the last tome boris has been seen

Do you remember that time he didnt even get off the plane in Shannon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement