Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Anyone else spouse healthcare workers and on front line of this now?
    Going out of mind with worry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

patnor1011 wrote: »
    You are right but they are as reliable as chinese government data anyway.
    Not only they reported recent travel restriction within China.
    History is pretty clear on how trustworthy communist regimes really are.

You seem to be saying they are both untrustworthy, in which case you should probably stop quoting them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Necro wrote: »
    Phrases to be exterminated from existence post virus issues:

"The Horse has bolted"

"Lockdown"

"Source?"

That is all.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Markets being thrashed again too..not a surprise I suppose...

Markets will continue to fall for next couple of weeks until some positive news regarding a vaccine or lowering of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Loughc wrote: »
    Source?

Man, christmas forum would have been a very hard forum to moderate if the virus had taken hold then.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

cloudatlas wrote: »
    People can develop immunity https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WOSwYGhmnwo
    Nah i'll pass on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Breaking; MASSIVE TOILET PAPER RESTRICTIONS FROM 6pm THIS EVENING
    Reuters 13:20 16/03/2020

World Health Organization to introduce a ‘one square or less per person policy’

“The hoarding of toilet paper must stop’ said the WHO

The WHO has warned that unless we engage with the new restrictions ‘We will be left with another reason to not be shaking people's hands anymore.’

Not sure exactly why but I've found myself trying to use as little as possible, bloody difficult :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Can anybody sincerely and frankly explain to me why people are panic buying toilet rolls?
    What kind of fear is this?

I am Italian and live in Italy, over here all shelves are fully stocked and nobody is panic buying toilet paper.
    I went shopping an hour ago and the aisle was full to the brim of rolls.

Why is this happening in the rest (or most countries) of the world?

It has something to do with planning for future. When this situation progress to lockdowns and a lot of people sick, state will focus on maintaining order and just few key areas like health, energy and food production and distribution.
    Stuff like toilett paper will be gone amongst the first as noone will be interesting in shipping air - loo rolls are bulky and not a priority to get to the people anyway.
    Even todays hoarders will run out and we will be back to green, natural way to do the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

Wibbs wrote: »
    Did you not read the part where I pointed out in even the heaviest lock down in China and elsewhere people were still allowed to go to the shops, or supplies were delivered to them.

Nobody is starving or running out anywhere this dose has been running and it's been running since the New Year in the Far East. Now things might change, though I doubt it, but at this point in time you're falling back on hysterics in the face of panic over your normal routines being threatened. Standard operational procedure for an unfortunately large percentage of the population, as we have seen in the panic buying with some and eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die stuff in others.
    You're missing the point!!!

Everyday you do your food shopping carries with it a degree of risk. If i have to go out and interact with people id prefer to to so on a lower risk day. 3 weeks ago was a lot less risky than now a weeks time will probably be more risky. More people will have it it will be on more surfaces! No?

3 months ago had no risk! 9 months time will hopefully have no risk

By being well stocked you have a better chance to avoid the very worst days to be out shopping

What is so difficult to get about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

spookwoman wrote: »
    :DAll those schools closed this is what you have to look forward to

https://twitter.com/IanWright0/status/1239103562703155200?s=20

Shaun and Bradley is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Steve F wrote: »
    This ^^

The number of times I've seen .."when this all blows over....."

It's NOT going to blow over completely sadly.It will "subside" be "pushed back" but highly likely here to stay...just like seasonal 'flu

Sorry how do you know that? Suggestions are that immunity is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Stuff like toilett paper will be gone amongst the first as noone will be interesting in shipping air
    More nonsense. Our toilet roll is produced in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Example of people reading between the lines. Most white-collar jobs quietly going against government ‘guidance’ and advising them to work from home.

“The numbers of passengers travelling on London’s Tube network has fallen by nearly a fifth, while the numbers on buses are down 10%, compared to the same time last year, according to a statement by Transport for London.

It is significant that the Tube numbers are down more than the buses, as my colleague Jim Waterson, the Guardian media editor, pointed out as he sent in this information.

Commuters travelling on the Tube, which is more expensive and connects the city centre to the suburbs, tend to be drawn from higher socio-economic groups, who tend to work white-collar jobs and are more able to work from home.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/16/coronavirus-live-updates-us-cdc-events-europe-lockdown-uk-deaths-australia-france-italy-spain-update-latest-news?page=with:block-5e6f65758f085c6327bc0aa3#liveblog-navigation

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Can anybody sincerely and frankly explain to me why people are panic buying toilet rolls?
    What kind of fear is this?

I am Italian and live in Italy, over here all shelves are fully stocked and nobody is panic buying toilet paper.
    I went shopping an hour ago and the aisle was full to the brim of rolls.

Why is this happening in the rest (or most countries) of the world?

Was trying to figure out the toilet paper shortages myself last week. I came to the following conclusions.

1. The toilet paper shortages are happening mainly because of Australia.
    2. People see Australian shortages and try to get ahead of that.
    3. Australia had reasons (not good reasons) to believe there would be a shortage (importing from China) so people stockpiled.
    4. There are people for whom stocking up on toilet paper makes sense (my parents want to avoid public transport during the crisis so are going to walk to and from a local shop {instead of getting a bus to a bigger shop}. Toilet paper is very annoying to carry when doing a large shop).
    5. People are idiots.
    6. If my shop is out of toilet paper I will find a shop selling toilet paper and stockpile because I don't want hassle of looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

"Clayton Hotel"

"PM please"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Scotty #

It's not so much you become immune, but with coronavirus generally you are less effected on 2nd and subsequent infections.

If the toilet roll runs out then you use a series of wash clothes that you wash. Stop being babies about the goddamn toilet roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Some people love panic. I get the impression alot of posters here will be gutted when all of this is over.

If Ireland is full of event junkies then the supposed end of the world is classified as an event aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Was trying to figure out the toilet paper shortages myself last week. I came to the following conclusions.

1. The toilet paper shortages are happening mainly because of Australia.
    2. People see Australian shortages and try to get ahead of that.
    3. Australia had reasons (not good reasons) to believe there would be a shortage (importing from China) so people stockpiled.
    4. There are people for whom stocking up on toilet paper makes sense (my parents want to avoid public transport during the crisis so are going to walk to and from a local shop {instead of getting a bus to a bigger shop}. Toilet paper is very annoying to carry when doing a large shop).
    5. People are idiots.
    6. If my shop is out of toilet paper I will find a shop selling toilet paper and stockpile because I don't want hassle of looking for it.

Just number 5

Scotty # wrote: »
    It's not so much you become immune, but with coronavirus generally you are less effected on 2nd and subsequent infections.

Who knows?! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WOSwYGhmnwo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭weisses

Student nurses are being brought in as part of a recruitment drive to assist qualified nurses. That's a positive step.

source ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And generally it's worse

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Virtually anything is possible, doesn't mean that it is probable or likely, especially with no evidence currently available to support the assertion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nope.
    Every country government will at some stage start massaging statistics. There is way too much at stake so they are all at it.
    The only exception are communist governments. They lie brazenly and right from the start.
    Interestingly P John Hopkins University, the World Economic forum and the Gates foundation had an imaginary pandemic exercise last October called Event 201 and one thing mentioned in their debate was the use of “narrative management” to prevent hysteria. In essence a nice way to call for some level of propaganda and/or censorship to keep too many in society from going apesh1t. So not too far from what many in the West reckon China did.

Though as it's turning out there doesn't appear to be too much of that from on high for the most part and any hysterics are more to be found at ground level and morons on various social media platforms believing every little thing when they hear their phones pinging they've a new text, whatsapp, facebook or email.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,568 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

weisses wrote: »
    source ?

My niece was called in but it's to man phones rather than nursing duties at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,319 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

there is no empirical evidence to support that assertion..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

Necro wrote: »
    Phrases to be exterminated from existence post virus issues:

"The Horse has bolted"

"Lockdown"

"Source?"

That is all.

Boards should set up a bit to post source after half the posts here. Too many rumours flying around and people need to be reminded it is all unsubstantiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Today I watched a methhead look like of Rod Stewart pick up every type of bread in the bakery of super value using their bare hands, mauling it. Her husband was stood beside her blowing his nose into a tissue and puts it into his pocket. They should know better since they are in the at-risk group. Loads of people with buggies and additional children. One kid had rubber cloves and I think he had the whole hand in his mouth at one stage :confused: I can guarantee the kid was touching everything.

What is it going to take for people to take this seriously?:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

You're missing the point!!!

Everyday you do your food shopping carries with it a degree of risk. If i have to go out and interact with people id prefer to to so on a lower risk day. 3 weeks ago was a lot less risky than now a weeks time will probably be more risky. More people will have it it will be on more surfaces! No?

3 months ago had no risk! 9 months time will hopefully have no risk

By being well stocked you have a better chance to avoid the very worst days to be out shopping

What is so difficult to get about this?
    how much risk exactly ? without being hysteric, as i know that theres 100 dead this year from flu, only couple cases regarding covid, even stats wordwide shift towards mass recoveries hand in hand with infected ones, unless your delirious we dont live in utopia where everyone gets to live to 100 years, people die each day, in way higher chances. accepting reality for some seems the issue not the virus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement