Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Stock markets absolutely tanking today. There going to shut down Wall St at some stage, the circuit breaker will come into play.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Whatever the eventual casualty rate from the virus the economic impact of what is happening is going to be absolutely unimaginable. The crash of 2008 will seem like a minor dip in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

fifth wrote: »
    Haven't been able to find a single bottle of hand sanitiser anywhere in weeks. People must have been stockpiling it surely? We are just regular old hand washing here and being mindful, staying in away from other people for now.

I ordered injection site alcohol swaps for use out and about with tattoo gloves. People are stock piling and its those with underlying health issues that can't get their hands on stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Dow Jones down 2300 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

fifth wrote: »
    Haven't been able to find a single bottle of hand sanitiser anywhere in weeks. People must have been stockpiling it surely? We are just regular old hand washing here and being mindful, staying in away from other people for now.

I was looking for hand sanitizer everywhere about a month ago and I couldn't find it anywhere but I eventually managed to find it in lidl, so you might want to try there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭1641

A retailer said to me yesterday that it's shameful that people have stockpiled hand sanitizer at home and shops aren't able to procure it and offer it to customers coming in and out.

Shop assistants were one of the sectors most likely to be infected in the Spanish Flu. I suppose all sectors that interact a lot with the public are at similar risk. We should thank them all for their work - while also bearing in mind that they are also likey vectors for the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭facehugger99

All this talk of lock-down.

Why is nobody talking about the conditions under which the restrictions, if they introduced, are lifted?

At what stage do we say to kids they can go back to schools? What is the number of cases that we say 'ah, yeah, panic over get the schools back'?

If we close bars, shops, restaurants ,cinemas, entire workplaces - for how long do we keep them closed?

140,000 workers have been laid off already and we're not even at full lock down yet - the potential economic repressions of some some of the stuff I've seen proposed is beyond comprehending.

No doubt the usual ****wits will say "ah, sure you can't put the economy above people's lives", but people's lives are directly dependent on the economy being able to provide for them.

This bullsh;t about 'flattening the curve' makes absolutely no sense unless we are proposing to put restrictions in place for years - if we do that we won't have a society in place much less a health service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Whatever the eventual casualty rate rom the virus the economic impact o what is happening is going to be absolutely unimaginable. The economic crash of 2008 will seem like a minor dip in comparison.

Yes but this time we have a massive national debt to contend with. We borrowed massively to keep the show on the road from 2008 to 2014. I wonder can the bondholders be burned still....

https://countryeconomy.com/deficit/ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

1641 wrote: »
    Shop assistants were one of the sectors most likely to be infected in the Spanish Flu. I suppose all sectors that interact a lot with the public are at similar risk. We should thank them all for their work - while also bearing in mind that they are also likey vectors for the virus.

I usually tap but if I were paying by cash I'd be telling them to keep the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

Hong Kong has done well since the outbreak began in January. New cases are nearly all imported ones from people returning from abroad. Quarantine measures have been stepped up to include all travellers from Europe and US.

Maybe we can learn a lesson :

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-16/hong-kong-shutdown-is-a-lesson-to-the-world-in-halting-the-virus

One of the most important measures is to raise awareness and that everyone wears a mask when going out, which has hugely reduced the risk of community spread. Even cases of normal seasonal flu was well down this year as a result.

Please don't snigger or make rude comments when you see someone wearing a mask in Ireland. He/she may be immunocompromised or in the high risk group. It's their choice (and freedom) to wear a mask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Imagine being in jail now, at least we can go out to pick up groceries

Dundalk, Co. Louth

All this talk of lock-down.

Why is nobody talking about the conditions under which the restrictions, if they introduced, are lifted?

At what stage do we say to kids they can go back to schools? What is the number of cases that we say 'ah, yeah, panic over get the schools back'?

If we close bars, shops, restaurants ,cinemas, entire workplaces - for how long do we keep them closed?

140,000 workers have been laid off already and we're not even at full lock down yet - the potential economic repressions of some some of the stuff I've seen proposed is beyond comprehending.

No doubt the usual ****wits will say "ah, sure you can't put the economy above people's lives", but people's lives are directly dependent on the economy being able to provide for them.

This bullsh;t about 'flattening the curve' makes absolutely no sense unless we are proposing to put restrictions in place for years - if we do that we won't have a society in place much less a health service.

How many EU countries have adopted the UK's herd immunisation strategy?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

There are now 160 countries with reported cases of Covid-19.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

kyote00 wrote: »
    my missus was laid off this morning... she would be more than happy to take over for you...

If either of us dont go to work, we cant pay the rent at the end of the week.

My child who we have been told by HSE etc etc should not be around his grandparents, but were left with no option but to send the child to his grandparents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Petrol and Diesel going to be even cheaper in the next few days. Oil below 30 dollars now. We're back at levels not seen for years. Demand has crashed and there is a price war going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭paul71

There was a warder posting here yesterday saying that the prisoners are being extraordinarily well behaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Xertz wrote: »
    I don’t know if it’s been posted before but I am beyond furious:

Here I am on lockdown because I’ve cold symptoms and this was going on last night.

Bouncer even shone some kind of strobe LED torch at the filming camera phone to disrupt it.

https://twitter.com/gearoidmurphy_/status/1239337633882529792?s=21

That bouncer is a right d1ick.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Er I am sorry but f*ck them.
    They aren't in prison for helping little old ladies cross the road.
    I'd rather not to have to go pick up groceries!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

jamesf85 wrote: »
    This is scary. So what? The UK solution is the way to go?

No the only 'real' option currently is:

(1) Aggressively manage the current outbreak:
    Hand Hygiene / Social distancing
    If you have a cough/fever/symptoms you must remain isolated
    If you have been in contact with someone with the virus you should quarantine.
    Test and track cases
    As much lockdown (schools/bars/etc.) as the public can handle.

If you get everything right like South Korea seems to have done done you can get on top of an outbreak in around 6 weeks.

(2a) Cycle between managing outbreaks and 'normal living' every 6 weeks approximately until a medical breakthrough like a vaccine (*maybe 12 months)

(2b) China style quarantining : Set aside secure hotels/locations where everyone coming to the country (returning or visiting) must quarantine for 14 days. Again this will need to continue until a medical breakthrough. This seems like a high price to pay but if it stops a 6 week outbreak/normal cycle then it might be worth it.

Australian scientists claim they've ALREADY developed a vaccine for coronavirus - but they can't roll it out to people just yet
    Three Australian scientists say they have developed a vaccine for coronavirus
    It could see human trials at the University of Queensland in a few months time
    The injection is currently on track to become available at the end of this year
    Production costs of the vaccination are estimated at $20million to $30million
    Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Petrol and Diesel going to be even cheaper in the next few days. Oil below 30 dollars now. We're back at levels not seen for years. Demand has crashed and there is a price war going on.

I wonder will we see this at the pumps?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

My biggest concern is no longer the actual virus but the chaos around the world.

The consequences of this are going to be profound in a way I don't think we can imagine at this point.

paul71 wrote: »
    There was a warder posting here yesterday saying that the prisoners are being extraordinarily well behaved.

that's very unlike them :-)

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Cases in Pakistan have tripled in the last 48 hours to almost 140

wakka12 wrote: »
    Cases in Pakistan have tripled in the last 48 hours to almost 140

Unfortunately, that country will be hammered for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

spookwoman wrote: »
    I ordered injection site alcohol swaps for use out and about with tattoo gloves. People are stock piling and its those with underlying health issues that can't get their hands on stuff

I don't think people stock piled hand sanitizer. I think it was down to many more people buying it than usual. Also people with family in china and italy probably posted them to family. Maybe next time try anticipate what could occur before you get price gauged.

It wasn't hard. Just look at china and Italy. Then close your eyes and imagine that it could happen here.

Alternatively read boards.ie and try and judge who the more credible posters are.

All of which is not rocket science. We live in a market based economy with winners and losers. You could ask government to tell the distilleries to pump out stronger alcohol so we can use it for our hands rather than drinking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

The Post wrote: »
    The Aussies have a vaccine. It's over, the apocalypse is cancelled.
    They have a drug which appears to be proving effective in treatment.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/testing-coronavirus-cure-set-start-australia-weeks-first-participant-us-vaccine-trial-due-1492437%3famp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Hooked

The Post wrote: »
    The Aussies have a vaccine. It's over, the apocalypse is cancelled.

It's loo roll? Right?

Unfortunately, that country will be hammered for years.

Do you know if the vaccines being talked about a yearly thing like influenza? I'm hoping that with so many countries working on them, 2020 will be the only disaster year for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭paul71

that's very unlike them :-)

Hence the extraordinary part ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement