Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VIII - 292 cases ROI (2 deaths) 62 in NI (as of 17th March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

My guess is all of them.

So why bother with lockdowns? What are they not taking Johnson's advice and let nature take its course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring2

Stock markets absolutely tanking today. There going to shut down Wall St at some stage, the circuit breaker will come into play.

20 percent is the final trigger and then Wall Street shuts down trading for the day,

They've hit the first trigger out of three already at 7 per cent. Next one is 13 per percent drop. Currently at 11 percent drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Malaysia appears to be one of the fastest growing countries now, approaching 600 cases now, it had 40 or 50 about 2 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

paw patrol wrote: »
    the government and the banks pretty much stated this , nobody will be forced out over non payments during the crisis.

even the revenue , the most heartless bastard of them all , is saying they'll work with businesses who cant make returns.

Of course you'll eventually have to pay but It's good to see , to a large degree we are all in this together.

Revenue aren't heartless. In fact, it's the opposite. They collect money due, plus penalties, from deviants who are not playing by the rules every other citizen signed up to. As such, they do the dirty work that others don't want to do that services are paid for.

Heartless my a**e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Whatever the eventual casualty rate from the virus the economic impact of what is happening is going to be absolutely unimaginable. The crash of 2008 will seem like a minor dip in comparison.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Australian scientists claim they've ALREADY developed a vaccine for coronavirus - but they can't roll it out to people just yet
    Three Australian scientists say they have developed a vaccine for coronavirus
    It could see human trials at the University of Queensland in a few months time
    The injection is currently on track to become available at the end of this year
    Production costs of the vaccination are estimated at $20million to $30million
    Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

The problem with vaccines isn't how long it takes to develop them it's how long it takes to prove they actually work as intended and do not make matters worse. It will not be in the hands of doctors until late 2021 at the earliest. We'll certainly be going through one more "flu season" before anyone gets a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Australian scientists claim they've ALREADY developed a vaccine for coronavirus - but they can't roll it out to people just yet
    Three Australian scientists say they have developed a vaccine for coronavirus
    It could see human trials at the University of Queensland in a few months time
    The injection is currently on track to become available at the end of this year
    Production costs of the vaccination are estimated at $20million to $30million
    Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?

This would be some serious PR for whatever generous benefactor finances wide scale production of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭paul71

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Revenue aren't heartless. In fact, it's the opposite. They collect money due, plus penalties, from deviants who are not playing by the rules every other citizen signed up to. As such, they do the dirty work that others don't want to do that services are paid for.

Heartless my a**e.

Correct
    Revenue are the fairest and most efficient part of our public service.

China has seen a bit of a bump the last two days. Almost 70 new cases in the last 48 hours, had been just 5-15 new cases daily for several weeks prior to this.
    Goes to show how incredibly difficult this is to contain through quarantine procedures

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Do you know if the vaccines being talked about a yearly thing like influenza? I'm hoping that with so many countries working on them, 2020 will be the only disaster year for this.

That's the hope but it's likely to mutate seasonly so vaccines, when they arrive, will probably be like the flu jab which doesn't cover all flus. Antiviral meds might make a bigger difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A warning on the vaccine thing.

Companies and scientists around the world will be putting out stories of vaccines every single day. The vast majority will be false and never come to fruition.

There is also a hugely complex testing regime that has to be undertaken which takes a long time.

Notions of vaccines being available "in months" is rubbish.

If anyone wants an injection of something barely tested on chimps put in to their system then more power to you!

12 - 18 months is the absolute minimum before anything considered robust and safe enough can be brought to market.

Just my two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

All this talk of lock-down.

Why is nobody talking about the conditions under which the restrictions, if they introduced, are lifted?

At what stage do we say to kids they can go back to schools? What is the number of cases that we say 'ah, yeah, panic over get the schools back'?

If we close bars, shops, restaurants ,cinemas, entire workplaces - for how long do we keep them closed?

140,000 workers have been laid off already and we're not even at full lock down yet - the potential economic repressions of some some of the stuff I've seen proposed is beyond comprehending.

No doubt the usual ****wits will say "ah, sure you can't put the economy above people's lives", but people's lives are directly dependent on the economy being able to provide for them.

This bullsh;t about 'flattening the curve' makes absolutely no sense unless we are proposing to put restrictions in place for years - if we do that we won't have a society in place much less a health service.

I'd suggest that you put your money where your mouth is and go lick a pin pad on an ATM or in Tesco. Report back in 14 days and let us know how the "immunity" is going. We can figure out the economy.

We can only judge based on that because what you've written above is speculation. I bet you are working from home with a cellar full of toilet roll and hand gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

A retailer said to me yesterday that it's shameful that people have stockpiled hand sanitizer at home and shops aren't able to procure it and offer it to customers coming in and out.

Its even more shameful that the retailers don't take action and limit them to two items max per customer. Its not like they're going to be stuck with large amounts of stock and unable to sell it. People stock pile because retailers allow it. Retailler's are at fault here not the panicked public.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I don't think people stock piled hand sanitizer. I think it was down to many more people buying it than usual. Also people with family in china and italy probably posted them to family. Maybe next time try anticipate what could occur before you get price gauged.

It wasn't hard. Just look at china and Italy. Then close your eyes and imagine that it could happen here.

Alternatively read boards.ie and try and judge who the more credible posters are.

All of which is not rocket science. We live in a market based economy with winners and losers. You could ask government to tell the distilleries to pump out stronger alcohol so we can use it for our hands rather than drinking it.

I didn't do bad with box of 100 gloves or the wipes. One to watch is the shipping fees though might take you an hour going through you always find one for 2.99 :D

Do you know if the vaccines being talked about a yearly thing like influenza? I'm hoping that with so many countries working on them, 2020 will be the only disaster year for this.

Vaccine will take a while but treatment will be here soon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well to be fair I, if you're a lone parent or a lone carer looking after someone I can see the value in having some leeway alright.

I really feel for people looking after a loved one during this crisis. A friend of mine can't visit his dad in hospital at the moment, and he is petrified of his father catching the virus. I can relate because my father lost his life before all this started, if he were still around i would be in bits if on top of everything he was going through he had to worry about this virus and wondering if his home help woulld be able to come and visit him. It really is a terrible time for some people right now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dublin99 wrote: »
    One of the most important measures is to raise awareness and that everyone wears a mask when going out, which has hugely reduced the risk of community spread. Even cases of normal seasonal flu was well down this year as a result.

Please don't snigger or make rude comments when you see someone wearing a mask in Ireland. He/she may be immunocompromised or in the high risk group. It's their choice (and freedom) to wear a mask.
    I agree D, the problem is on top of them not being "fashionable" enough yet we don't have enough to go around and those in the health service on the front lines need them far more for obvious reasons. I strongly suspect(and a fair number of US official commentators have essentially said this) that the whole "masks do nothing, just wash your hands" is down to this shortage that affects health workers who really need them. I mean it's pretty obvious and even idiotic in the face of it saying masks do little, when those people in the frontlines have to wear them if they hope to protect themselves. I'd bet the farm that if the vast majority wore face masks transmission would drop. It seems it does where they do.

Though I'd still contend that the paper type are of marginal benefit, mainly and especially for those health workers who actually need them. Put it another way it's illegal under EU and many national laws to send a construction worker into a site where irritant dust was present wearing such paper masks, no matter the claimed filtration and in the case of the presence of something like asbestos there'd be lawsuits a flying. They have to wear or be outfitted with half or full face PP3 or higher respirators securely fitted to the face. Yet paper masks are going to be protective for long against aerosol borne viruses in a hospital setting?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I managed to get toilet paper in Dealz!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

The Post wrote: »
    Nah it's a flamin heavy dose of stop being a big Shelia and man the **** up. It's only a bleedin virus ya bunch of pooftahs!

:D

Ah yes the old Chopper mentality, harden the f*** up! :D

Big jump in Russia too, approaching 100 cases there now.

Now almost 50 countries worldwide with 100+ cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

I don't think people stock piled hand sanitizer. I think it was down to many more people buying it than usual. Also people with family in china and italy probably posted them to family. Maybe next time try anticipate what could occur before you get price gauged.

It wasn't hard. Just look at china and Italy. Then close your eyes and imagine that it could happen here.

Alternatively read boards.ie and try and judge who the more credible posters are.

All of which is not rocket science. We live in a market based economy with winners and losers. You could ask government to tell the distilleries to pump out stronger alcohol so we can use it for our hands rather than drinking it.

I make my own:

2 parts 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
    1 part Aloe Vera Gel (Mine also has tea tree oil, leftover from use as after-sun in summer)
    Few drops essential oil for fragrance.

I use a recycled/sterilised hand wash bottle with pump. Voila!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Nermal

pH wrote: »
    No the only 'real' option currently is:

(1) Aggressively manage the current outbreak:
    Hand Hygiene / Social distancing
    If you have a cough/fever/symptoms you must remain isolated
    If you have been in contact with someone with the virus you should quarantine.
    Test and track cases
    As much lockdown (schools/bars/etc.) as the public can handle.

If you get everything right like South Korea seems to have done done you can get on top of an outbreak in around 6 weeks.

(2a) Cycle between managing outbreaks and 'normal living' every 6 weeks approximately until a medical breakthrough like a vaccine (*maybe 12 months)

(2b) China style quarantining : Set aside secure hotels/locations where everyone coming to the country (returning or visiting) must quarantine for 14 days. Again this will need to continue until a medical breakthrough. This seems like a high price to pay but if it stops a 6 week outbreak/normal cycle then it might be worth it.

They are just not realistic options. The public will not accept them and nor should they.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A warning on the vaccine thing.

Companies and scientists around the world will be putting out stories of vaccines every single day. The vast majority will be false and never come to fruition.

There is also a hugely complex testing regime that has to be undertaken which takes a long time.

Notions of vaccines being available "in months" is rubbish.

The Daily Mail were being classy as ever with a recent story about a vaccine by June.
    As you say more effective treatments are more likely to be developed before a vaccine becomes available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I hope EU countries come together and restrict travel to/from countries such as China and Vietnam where wild animals are used for food and medicine

It might force those countries to stop trade in wild animals, reduce chance of a new virus arising (existing one mutating), and help nature.

China has really ****ed the world over with this virus

We are so economically reliant on China that will never happen also it’s xenophobia. Majority of Chinese people are innocent in all this why should they suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Spain the next Italy

The regional leader of Spain's Catalonia, Quim Torra, has said he has tested positive for the coronavirus and that he was going into self-isolation in a government building.

Catalan deputy head of government, Pere Aragones, announced yesterday that he had also tested positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

A retailer said to me yesterday that it's shameful that people have stockpiled hand sanitizer at home and shops aren't able to procure it and offer it to customers coming in and out.

Seen a good one on Twitter from someone in Copenhagen. Was a sign in a shop allegedly.

Hand sanitiser - €5
    2nd bottle of hand sanitiser - €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Would it be a good idea for anyone who goes outside to wear a mask? Seems to have had a positive effect in other regions and may halt the spread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Update from Scottish government

As of 2pm today 4,895 Scottish tests have concluded - 4,724 confirmed negative, 171 positive. Death toll remains at 1.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

"Clayton Hotel"
    Jeez!!
    That is so "Coronavirus Part 2"

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

No reason to wait now on stricter measures the way it's going on mainland europe

Unfortunate for family members set to lose jobs but faster is best

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement