Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

This thread is moving so fast, I went for a shower for 15 minutes and came back to over 100 new posts! :eek:
    It's all just a bad dream Bobby

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

walshb wrote: »
    What figures are we thinking tomorrow at 6 p.m? ROI.
    Panrich wrote: »
    At least 50 more.
    Don't think speculation like this serves any purpose other than to raise concerns/panic or indeed possibly encourage people to pat themselves on the back if they get somewhere near the figure

Let's wait and see rather than speculate

Any questions, PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Stheno wrote: »
    Is anyone else a bit scared?

Absolutely.

So, one positive step that I took today up until about 8 o clock, was not reading scaremongering and speculation from armchair experts and statisticians.

It worked wonders for my brain and I shall do the same again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Are standard dust masks of any use or a waste of time if going down the shops?:confused:

To some level, yes, but not entirely virusproof.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Yes but I’m assured the pubs will reopen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Has anyone got a source regarding the Dublin Bus drive from Ringsend garage having Covid-19?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Black Monday tomorrow?

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Yes the infection rate from this thing is going to be far higher than we were led to believe. I think the death toll will be too. Europe in particular and most likely all of the world outside China and Taiwan is going to be hammered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

There will be some ques outside the social welfare office tomorrow, how are they going to deal with 50k approx people arriving at their doors tomorrow.

They need to make an announcement stop this happening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭paul71

Yes, for 2 reasons. I discovered today that epilepsy is one of the underlying conditions that has led to fatalities, and I have have well controlled epilepsy.

Secondly I honestly cannot see my employer lasting another 10 days and I will be the one charged with telling 135 people that news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I am, absolutely. I have a knot in my chest since last Thursday’s announcement.

I’m a very anxious person anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well I said in my post I tried and well it didn't work past the four ads.

Yeah, oddly enough (for me) the ads will work grand, but I've never actually managed to watch a whole programme on the Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Our numbers were ok today. Steady lockdown now and most of us shall number ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Having been calm, the last few days have me anxious.

Worried about family. Feel we are just coming out the other end of a recession I never expected. And maybe about to slide back into an even bigger recession.

Hopefully my fear proves unfounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

JRant wrote: »
    A couple of pubs full of Yahoo's does not a country make.

should use their own common sense and kept going about their business as carefully as possible.

No such thing as common sense and a couple of pubs full of Yahoo's is all it takes to fcuk the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Zero new confirmed cases in the USA in the last 24 hours, according the today's WHO Situation Report. Confirmed is .post definitely the operative word.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

sink wrote: »
    I see a lot of criticism of Governments not closing down flights or shutting borders, and using common sense that would seem logical. However when you examine the problem using epidemiological mathematical modelling it will show that closing borders has a limited effect in the basic reproduction number of infection (aka R0), which is really the only factor we are trying to control. By lowering the R0 we give our health service the time to treat patients without being overwhelmed and therefore increase the survivability rate and have better outcomes for patients overall, this we all know by now is termed 'flattening the curve'.

So why don't borders work? To start with borders can not be perfectly sealed, unless we want to become an even more totalitarian state than North Korea some people will cross them. One example is we need to import many essential goods and raw material such as oil in order to keep society functioning and this has to be done by people. With the profile of this disease it is impossible to properly screen for it as many are infected are asymptomatic. So cutting off contact from the outside world entirely is impossible even in the short term.

Once the virus is in the community it doubles infections every 3-4 days in populations where no internal controls are in place. This is what is known as exponential growth, simply put the more infected there are the faster new people get infected. Uncontrolled spread within the community with quickly outpace the number of infected coming from outside the community, even if you pack every jet and ferry with 100% infected people, left uncontrolled the community transmissions would dwarf them in a matter of weeks even if started with just one infected person.

So we need to focus on slowing the spread within the community, and the only method we have to do this is social distancing. Social distancing techniques work for those people arriving into the country as well, following proper guidelines they won't infect more people than anyone else already in the community. Jets and ferries should limit their capacities so people are kept a safe distance, exceptions can be made for family units of course.

The Washington Post have an excellent article which show these epidemiological models working in real time, I highly recommend looking at it to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

Excellent read.
    Really articulated the border issue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

hawkwing wrote: »
    It's all just a bad dream Bobby

Pam had the dream. She woke up to find Bobby in the shower. He was just back from Atlantis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Syncpolice wrote: »
    They need to make an announcement stop this happening

They did! On the news!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

There will be some ques outside the social welfare office tomorrow, how are they going to deal with 50k approx people arriving at their doors tomorrow.

And they will have to collect their payments from the cramped post office which I do every week ! They dont allow automated payments for JSA only illness benefit. So are the thousands on JSA to go to the postie from tommorow on to collect cash thats madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm scared I'll still be here reading thread CoVid-19 Part M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

I have had a cough and cold symptoms since last week. I work for the emergency services, I have been told to take the next two weeks off work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Are standard dust masks of any use or a waste of time if going down the shops?:confused:

Not necessarily a waste of time. Very often what we call a list mask is in fact an fp3 or fp2. A lot of 3m masks are quite decent.

Problem is using it properly. (fit, putting on, sealing it, not touching it, taking it off correctly). Government thinks most people can't do that so advise against. I'd take my chances to be honest with help of youtube. Droplets hang in the air for an hour (HSE said) need eye protection otherwise could contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I'm surprised they are not showing more of the recovered or recovering stories. I think that would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Perfect opportunity to significantly roll back the EU and cut funding from us to Eastern European proto-fascists. In particular, I doubt Italy will be all that fond of the EU afterwards.

Are you for real.
    Pear head of capita Ireland has received more funding from the EU than any other EU member.
    About time some of the other EU members had there share

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

derossi wrote: »
    I have had a cough and cold symptoms since last week. I work for the emergency services, I have been told to take the next two weeks off work.

Will you be tested ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

derossi wrote: »
    Are you going to get a test?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

Location of 1 confirmed case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

dan786 wrote: »
    According to a Government statement, the exceptional measures required to encourage social distancing will have an immediate impact on many employers. Although these measures are temporary they have, and will lead, to temporary business closures.

The statement says there is an important role for employers in helping the country to respond.

Following discussions with some industry groups today the Government is asking employers, if at all possible, to continue to pay workers during this period - at least at the jobseeker rate of €203 per week.

This refund, the statement continues, means that workers will retain their link with employers and there is no need for them personally to submit a job seekers claim.

The refund scheme will take some time to set up but in the meantime the Banks have been requested to provide working capital finance in the form of overdrafts or short term loans to cover costs.

This is a bit much to ask I think. Any small employer after closing up will be doing well to cover their own living expenses without being asked to pay this on a promise that they might get it back at some indeterminate point in future. Perhaps it's too much to ask the Department of Social Protection to get its finger out and process the applications. Take the staff off auditing to help. And perhaps also take some staff from other departments that could be helping out in vital tasks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I go through bouts of it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement