Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I see a lot of criticism of Governments not closing down flights or shutting borders, and using common sense that would seem logical. However when you examine the problem using epidemiological mathematical modelling it will show that closing borders has a limited effect in the basic reproduction number of infection (aka R0), which is really the only factor we are trying to control. By lowering the R0 we give our health service the time to treat patients without being overwhelmed and therefore increase the survivability rate and have better outcomes for patients overall, this we all know by now is termed 'flattening the curve'.

So why don't borders work? To start with borders can not be perfectly sealed, unless we want to become an even more totalitarian state than North Korea some people will cross them. One example is we need to import many essential goods and raw material such as oil in order to keep society functioning and this has to be done by people. With the profile of this disease it is impossible to properly screen for it as many are infected are asymptomatic. So cutting off contact from the outside world entirely is impossible even in the short term.

Once the virus is in the community it doubles infections every 3-4 days in populations where no internal controls are in place. This is what is known as exponential growth, simply put the more infected there are the faster new people get infected. Uncontrolled spread within the community with quickly outpace the number of infected coming from outside the community, even if you pack every jet and ferry with 100% infected people, left uncontrolled the community transmissions would dwarf them in a matter of weeks even if started with just one infected person.

So we need to focus on slowing the spread within the community, and the only method we have to do this is social distancing. Social distancing techniques work for those people arriving into the country as well, following proper guidelines they won't infect more people than anyone else already in the community. Jets and ferries should limit their capacities so people are kept a safe distance, exceptions can be made for family units of course.

The Washington Post have an excellent article which show these epidemiological models working in real time, I highly recommend looking at it to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I realise this may be a weird thing to post about but I've decided to try and watch the boys in green first episode on the rte player and of all things to see on there was all 15 seasons on ER. why ?

To be fair, you won't be watching anything on the RTÉ Player as it's shíte, so doesn't matter what's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

holyhead wrote: »
    Multiple retailers non food have started announcing shutdowns here. There is no vaccine against this and as we are wisely looking to avoid herd immunity it would suggest a slow burning situation. If the shutdown last more than a month you could be looking at an economic depression.

Who cares, it can and will recover again.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is anyone else a bit scared?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Has anyone been having problems with making and receiving calls during this week? Networks apparently having awful diffculity in coping with the demand due to people working from home. That is only going to increase next week.

No problems here on eir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Yep, the Three network was having a right auld speed wobble.

You may expect it ramp up next week, we spent most of last week just setting up VPNs and selling laptops to panicing customers as they need to work from home.

I have been told that if three woobles it isn't something they can cope with the medium term fixing and will continue to happen due to capcity issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I know people on other networks who have had problems with phone calls going to voicemails, phone not ringing and having to make multiple attempts at calls. I am Vodafone and have had those issues and I know someone on Tesco/Three who said they are having similar problems.

Mobile phones are not the best things to use in a widespread crisis. There are a limited amount of line connections available per cell and in the case where everyone wants to use it, there will be drop outs and non connects.

In these parts, when it snows on the N11 and you are running late for an appointment, you can't make a call.... because everyone else is trying to do the exact same thing at the same time.

This is where the good old landline comes into it's own. Much more reliable in a crisis - providing you have one within arms reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Thing is spreading. Heard of a case popping up in the most rural of spots and no connections to Northern Italy/China. A person over 80 too.

Not really a surprise.

Do they have a home carer by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

Panrich wrote: »
    At least 50 more.

I don't think we should now be guessing at the next set of numbers.(guilty in the past myself)....it's only a small skip to guessing the numbers of dead...which is way too grim to contemplate

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Are standard dust masks of any use or a waste of time if going down the shops?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Drumpot wrote: »
    I see the special cases from temple bar last night made it into the C4 news. That’s next level muppetry to be fair. :pac:

Which is a bit rich from C4 News as they've been having feckin marathons over there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mak!!!!!

We were told not to say anything until 11:01 on Tuesday morning!!

Whatsapp screenshot or it didn't happen!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Ger Roe wrote: »
    This is where the good old landline comes into it's own. Much more reliable in a crisis - providing you have one within arms reach.

What is a landline? Did they use these in the olden days? Do we still have them?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Achasanai wrote: »
    To be fair, you won't be watching anything on the RTÉ Player as it's shíte, so doesn't matter what's available.

Well I said in my post I tried and well it didn't work past the four ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

Are standard dust masks of any use or a waste of time if going down the shops?:confused:

Better than nothing. Will provide some minor protection against droplets....but not 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

quartz1 wrote: »
    Can Ireland do anything to make use of the Hospital Ventilators been manufactured here by Multinational Companies ......are there Staff capable of using them if they had the machines ..... perhaps I am been simplistic

Up the price of them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I think in general we are in a good place as a country right now. No sense of overall panic and the vast majority of people keeping their distance from others. A couple of pubs full of Yahoo's does not a country make.

There is absolutely no need to close everything down right now. People who can't work from home should use their own common sense and kept going about their business as carefully as possible.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Stheno wrote: »

I'm accepting of the situation. Was far more worried two weeks ago when most of the public were none the wiser of this impending threat. Think I'm resilient having had a pretty tough 32 years so far.

What will be will be, its out of our control for the most of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭gifted

Scared of catching it?

Scared of the economy?

Scared of losing your job?

Scared of no food on the shelves?

I'm scared of 3 of the 4 above...

Taking the right precautions so confident of not catching it..

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Very skeptical. Visited my grandmother this evening but left after 10 mins when I normally stay an hour. I have a runny nose as well

runny nose not a normal symptom afaik

dry cough and elevated temperature (fever)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Achasanai wrote: »
    Which is a bit rich from C4 News as they've been having feckin marathons over there.

The UK are screwed . They acted way too late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Quite useless

• Registered Users Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I think in general we are in a good place as a country right now. No sense of overall panic and the vast majority of people keeping their distance from others. A couple of pubs full of Yahoo's does not a country make.

There is absolutely no need to close everything down right now. People who can't work from home should use their own common sense and kept going about their business as carefully as possible.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

defrule wrote: »
    Anyone know how resilient supply chains are?

If drivers start falling sick etc... and Tesco can no longer efficiently get food and supplies to the city. Then we truly will be screwed.

Army have plenty of truck drivers although not sure. We have lots of supermarkets, not so many soldiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yep, and not ashamed to admit it, given what is going on before us in Italy,Spain and many other countries now.

Hopefully tomorrow things will ramp up here. We really do have a head start and need to work on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I have been told that if three woobles it isn't something they can cope with the medium term fixing and will continue to happen due to capcity issues.

Their network was generally quite good (for me at least) until they merged with O2, then it turned into pure scutter.

Telpis once a rake of people start working from home at the same time (expect a lot of people to have the same idea at the same time about hotspotting their mobiles as their DSL is super slow).

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

There will be some ques outside the social welfare office tomorrow, how are they going to deal with 50k approx people arriving at their doors tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

A few people mentioned why is Italy getting hit with some many deaths.

Approx 23% of Italy's entire population is aged 65+ years, the vast majority of deaths have been people in their 70s and 80s

There's plenty of articles from reputable sources for anyone that wondered if like I did.

The long and the short of it nations are panicking as simply put even if an elderly person has a 20% chance of dying from this, many more will still need hospital treatment.

No nation would be able to manage that amount of patients at once it just isn't feasible. The lockdowns are a way of trying to slow it in such a way that they can get recovered patients out the door to accommodate those coming in

As someone working in healthcare until recently, what worries me is this lockdown is well and good but unless one of the various vaccines and medications we're hearing daily of is deployed and works, as soon as a lockdown finishes within a couple weeks we'll be back to square one with it flourishing again.

Not only that but the panic is that various meds have been waved through without appropriate testing and I'd worry if this will also backfire as who knows what some of these untested meds could result in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

gifted wrote: »
    Scared of catching it?

Scared of the economy?

Scared of losing your job?

Scared of no food on the shelves?

I'm scared of 3 of the 4 above...

Taking the right precautions so confident of not catching it..

I am also taking the right precautions, but of all the scares on your list, catching it is still number 1. I can survive the economy crashing, losing my job and I am pretty sure I won't starve... but I don't know if I would survive a new and challenging disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Is there any breakdown of the 79 new cases over the weekend. Like how many are related to travel. local transmission and community transmission or have they just stopped publishing that? Curious to know about the community transmissions and preferably where its occurring

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement