Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay sane or plan for the apocalypse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Like above, I'm not really worried for myself. While I do have asthma, i'm confident it would be like a really bad cold or flu for me. However, I live with my 70+ year old parents, one has COPD and the other has emphysema, so if it comes into the house my parents most likely won't survive, especially one of them. Meanwhile, at work, we still have to come in (contact centre - networking) and even though the company mad nearly €20 million profit last year, they won't splash on a few laptops for us (night team, 7 in total). I'm putting in my request to work from home today, especially considering the company FAQ about this says to work from home if possible (it is, I did it for Christmas).

While I don't want to freak out, I had a moment just before falling asleep last night where I imagined both my parents dieing and not being able to bury them/family not being able to see them before they die. That's the worst part imo, that even if the worst should happen, in order to contain the spread a normal funeral can't happen.

I dunno. We're not at panic yet, but I really don't trust anyone else to help contain this. Yesterday must have been one of the busiest days for some pubs in a long time. Anime is right, the biggest problem with humanity is humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

After watching Inside The K I do wonder how scangers and scumbags will adhere to the incoming rules and regulations, their brains don't handle basic rules.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

NIMAN wrote: »
    Imagine if you caught a disease and you were told you had a 1 in 20 chance of dying.

I wouldn't like those odds tbh.
    The dying odds are bad enough, but it's the around one in five infected people who need hospitalisation is IMHO the bigger concern. If capacity is reached then more of those one in five won't make it and the death rates go up. Never mind all the other people with critical and chronic conditions that can't be accommodated because we're past capacity. Conditions we see as treatable might not be for a time and that will affect all ages. Hopefully we're ahead of the curve compare to places like Italy and Spain and the like and locking down as soon as possible will save us from the worst of it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

NIMAN wrote: »
    Imagine if you caught a disease and you were told you had a 1 in 20 chance of dying.

I wouldn't like those odds tbh.

If you're young and in good health, though, those chances rise. Plus, it's 1 in 40.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If you're young and in good health, though, those chances rise. Plus, it's 1 in 40.

Unfortunately, people in that group know this, but seem oblivious to the fact that their attitude of 'Well i'll be fine so i'm not stopping my life' could result in those in the high risk categories being infected. Again, the pubs yesterday more proof of the greed, ignorance, stupidity and selfishness of a lot of the general populace.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kieran. wrote: »
    It's been a long time since I smoked but I thinking a big bag of weed maybe neccesary to see us though......

"Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope."
    —Freewheelin' Franklin of the The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Unfortunately, people in that group know this, but seem oblivious to the fact that their attitude of 'Well i'll be fine so i'm not stopping my life' could result in those in the high risk categories being infected. Again, the pubs yesterday more proof of the greed, ignorance, stupidity and selfishness of a lot of the general populace.

AGree with you but my point is that it's not going to wipe 5% of them out.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

So my building is split into Team A and Team B, so we get 1 week on 1 week off, I have my skip booked, going to give my house a good clean :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

October is when I see normality being restored, it's going to be a messy journey until then. I see martial law, rations, control of movement within the country all coming.

I think you've been watching too many Hollywood disaster flicks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

I’m on the edge, Beginning to think I should buy a massive chest freezer and hunker down. (I’ve done no panic buying to date, herd mentality is setting in).In all seriousness, this is getting serious....

How the Fock are you planning to keep sane in the next few weeks....

ive a plan, im gonna stay sane, right up until it kicks off and once society breaks down im gonna take down a couple of peppers and live in there place.. cant go wrong, survival of the fittest and all that craic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Stay sane. It's easy. Coronavirus is not life threatening (if you're reasonably healthy).

No need for stocking up. Supply chains for food ain't gonna break down any time soon.

Jut practice good hygeine and you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Yeah all of these things are a given for me tbh. I don't think the Irish public will handle it well at all and a lot of peoples mental health is going to be severely tested like never before. We are now pretty much guaranteed the worst recession the world will ever have witnessed and unthinkable numbers of job losses. :(

Mental health and strength of relationships will be tested and a lot will crumble.
    The recession that’s coming is going to be utterly devastating, more so than the virus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

Oh the drama of it all......divorces, affairs, financial ruin, dole queues. And an empty Aldi. Aaaaaaargh......(cue Eastender's theme music).

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Cupatae wrote: »
    ive a plan, im gonna stay sane, right up until it kicks off and once society breaks down im gonna take down a couple of peppers and live in there place.. cant go wrong, survival of the fittest and all that craic.

If you're gonna bring down them peppers you'd better be prepped as you know they will be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

IvySlayer wrote: »
    So my building is split into Team A and Team B, so we get 1 week on 1 week off, I have my skip booked, going to give my house a good clean :D

Leave it. Just move into the skip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I just found a lump of squidgy black in my drawer, must be there at least 5 years, God bless you afganistan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

I just realised I snapped my underpants elastic in one of my panic buying sessions. Will I buy able to buy another in these trying times ahead ?

Yours sincerely,
    Worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Graces7 wrote: »
    Maybe those who have holiday homes in country or coast? Or a holiday let that has been empty all winter

But turning off boards and TV etc is safer?

Dratted covid19 infiltrates every small forum if we let it.

They are attributing the rush of Italians and Spanish to their holiday homes for speeding the spread of the virus. You can turn off at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Neighbours were throwing out an old wooden playhouse. I took it off them yesterday and will renovate it with the kids over the next 2 weeks. Hope the f*ck they don't hammer any nails through their fingers, A&E is the last place I want to go. That will keep us busy and not have to think about what is going on anywhere else. We'll be busy sanding, cutting plexiglass, painting and doing a bit of woodworking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

Originally Posted by kieran. View Post
    It's been a long time since I smoked but I thinking a big bag of weed maybe neccesary to see us though......

But smoking that will weaken your throat and lungs, making you more vulnerable to viral respiratory infections..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

This is gonna be a nightmare for some people. I could stay inside my house for weeks on end even before this and be fine but my mother is already going stir crazy after a few days. She is cleaning bins, rearranging everything, painting etc. She literally cannot sit down and relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I’m on the edge, Beginning to think I should buy a massive chest freezer and hunker down. (I’ve done no panic buying to date, herd mentality is setting in).In all seriousness, this is getting serious....

How the Fock are you planning to keep sane in the next few weeks....

I work in a place that supplies chest freezers to most of the country and there is not one left as of Thursday, completely sold out...

The end is nigh, indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I wasn’t told yet whether to show up for work in the morning or not. Factory of 100+. Surely to God we’re closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

Went straight to Sky News first thing this morning to see was there any update on covid-19. Went to supermarket and there was a forest of toilet paper just inside the entrance. Bought a sliced pan even though I didn't need to. Made a mental note to buy shares in Brennan's Bread and Kittensoft. Had a headache and a tiredness in my back. Wondered are these signs of me getting the virus.Rang up the leisure centre to see were they open. They were. No jacuzzi, steam room or sauna. Only every second item in the gym to be used to keep social distancing. I was the only person in the pool. Wore flip flops and careful of touching anything. Felt much better. Ready for work tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Gilead have developed the most promising Therapeutic drug as it happens

Balm of Gilead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

some people need to relax, we will be ok, we will look back at this in a couple of months and laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

pgj2015 wrote: »
    some people need to relax, we will be ok, we will look back at this in a couple of months and laugh.

Uhm nah. I think this is a bit more serious than the millennium bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Purgative wrote: »
    Uhm nah. I think this is a bit more serious than the millennium bug.
    The reason why the millennium bug had minimal effect was because of the vast numbers of people who spent vast amounts of money over the preceding five years to fix it.

We don't have time for that preparation with Covid 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

paddythere wrote: »
    This is gonna be a nightmare for some people. I could stay inside my house for weeks on end even before this and be fine but my mother is already going stir crazy after a few days. She is cleaning bins, rearranging everything, painting etc. She literally cannot sit down and relax.

My wife can be like that when she can't get out to the gym or to meet friends for a couple of days.
    It's a matter of pacing ourselves. Doing maybe one project each day, be it cutting the lawn, washing windows, painting a shed, some craft work or whatever. Make a list of activities and spread them out over a period. Being retired a few years I learned how to pass the days without boredom and could survive a month to more isolated, provided food supplies are available. We have a decent garden to go out to and no near neighbours, so can at least take a walk through the fields if we have to. Luckily there's still no ban on going for walks, cycling etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Well I dont agree with the whole Self isolation thing. Its incarcaration under another name and proven to be ineffective as in cases in Italy people locked up with those who have the virus.
    South Korea was very effective in dealing with it and had little to no 'self isolation'.

China who is being praised for their reaction incredibly are

Boarding people into their homes to starve to death.
    Dragging people off to dentention camps oops quarrantine zones.
    Blocking doors
    Welding doors shut to trap people inside and die.

All happening and no one bats an eyelid.
    Videos online.

If you test positive for Coronavirus in China very high chance you will never be heard from again.

This video shows it Chinese government welding doors shut.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5q6G5ge4AjY

Advertisement