Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay sane or plan for the apocalypse?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I wasn’t told yet whether to show up for work in the morning or not. Factory of 100+. Surely to God we’re closed?
    Best to show up early then.

So you can count how many people have gone in ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

While I'm very much in favour of us all doing what it takes to protect our most vulnerable I am opposed to lockdown..
    I agree it is glorified incarceration.
    The suggestion that the army will enforce it is disturbing. Is this martial law? At what point will violence be employed to enforce it?

I don't watch youtube clips because there's too much allegedly faked footage of all kinds over the past few years. I don't know how things are in China. I just don't like the implications for Ireland. It also would set a precedent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The reason why the millennium bug had minimal effect was because of the vast numbers of people who spent vast amounts of money over the preceding five years to fix it.

We don't have time for that preparation with Covid 19.
    Early days but looks like a lot of West African countries that were winding down after the latest Ebola outbreak just switched focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

While I'm very much in favour of us all doing what it takes to protect our most vulnerable I am opposed to lockdown..
    I agree it is glorified incarceration.
    The suggestion that the army will enforce it is disturbing. Is this martial law? At what point will violence be employed to enforce it?

I don't watch youtube clips because there's too much allegedly faked footage of all kinds over the past few years. I don't know how things are in China. I just don't like the implications for Ireland. It also would set a precedent.

They can Weld the Chinese doors shut and let God knows how many to starve to death.
    Thats going on over there under ahem "Quarrantine"
    Western World doesnt care as China can kill millions and massage the figures and release nothing but propaganda.

Here people will give up all rights under the guise of "safety" as we are unbelievably guillable as raceand will accept martial law without batting an eye.
    Whats the point in living if you have no life?.
    Locked up indefinately. Ask the Chinese however none of them can get the World out.
    Journalists who do are now in "quarrantine". You might as well write their obituaries now.

People can mock this or pooh pooh it but IT IS HAPPENING.

Prople disappearing in China who expose this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwpr55PZEJ8

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

growleaves wrote: »
    But smoking that will weaken your throat and lungs, making you more vulnerable to viral respiratory infections..........

I've found the opposite. Since I've started, I've less chest infections.
    I wasn’t told yet whether to show up for work in the morning or not. Factory of 100+. Surely to God we’re closed?

Apparently work is not considered a social gathering going by comments previously made by the Government. I'm sending an email to my team leader tonight before I finish advising I won't be back in, my parents are too high risk to chance it. Our own FAQ advises to work from home when possible, and I worked from home over Xmas as it suited them, so I'm offering that now but letting them know I won't be coming into work until this is all over. Couldn't care less if there was 10 or 1000 people here, I don't trust people full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    They are attributing the rush of Italians and Spanish to their holiday homes for speeding the spread of the virus. You can turn off at home.

They are actually internal migrants returning to poor areas of the country where they are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

All you anti-gun fcukers, how does it feel facing the apocalypse with no guns? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

BattleCorp wrote: »
    All you anti-gun fcukers, how does it feel facing the apocalypse with no guns? :D

I think folk have a right to bear arms and tool up.

When you see China welding doors shut for people and children to starve to death under "self isolation" balls and they are praised by the WHO and governments for their action you know we are dealing with deeply sick evil individuals at the top.

Having weapons should be mandatory against that evil.

Imagine forcing people and kids to starve to death under the guise of "security".
    Pure sick evil malice that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

When I'm down to my last cartridge with nothing left to eat, then I'll cook my gun for dinner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think folk have a right to bear arms and tool up.

When you see China welding doors shut for people and children to starve to death under "self isolation" balls and they are praised by the WHO and governments for their action you know we are dealing with deeply sick evil individuals at the top.

Having weapons should be mandatory against that evil.

Imagine forcing people and kids to starve to death under the guise of "security".
    Pure sick evil malice that.
    Maybe, though I always find it funny with the right to bear arms people. I can understand some of their points, but try using your 9mm handgun or 7.62 AK to fight "big government" that have armies and air forces and drones that can splat you from an office hundreds, even thousands of miles away.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Maybe, though I always find it funny with the right to bear arms people. I can understand some of their points, but try using your 9mm handgun or 7.62 AK to fight "big government" that have armies and air forces and drones that can splat you from an office hundreds, even thousands of miles away.

I wasn't exactly planning on fighting the Government. Was more thinking of shooting an auld rabbit for something to eat while the non-gun owners starved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The fields are heaving with rabbits here. Theres a book on my bookshelf called "trappers, traps and trapping". But feck it. I don't want to trap my dinner.

Why are we talking about hunting and gathering, though? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Wibbs wrote: »

But that's why you're allowed buy not just a handgun, but also fully automatic weapons, 2 mile range sniper rifles, tanks, bazookas, etc. And anti-tank missiles if you have the money and pull. But surface to air missiles are illegal. Suppose that's where the right to bear arms draws the line...

As you noted, a single button press by a young lad using a PS4 controller to fly an unmanned armed drone and you dead no matter where you are. It's why I don't subscribe to that philosophy of why it's their right. Your army would easily destroy you, silly Americans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭seven of nine

stay sane and plan

Well I dont agree with the whole Self isolation thing. Its incarcaration under another name and proven to be ineffective as in cases in Italy people locked up with those who have the virus.
    South Korea was very effective in dealing with it and had little to no 'self isolation'.

I'm glad you are not in charge of the country here. South Korea certainly aren't doing a wonderful job. They are in the sh1t. They are number 4 in the world for the total number of cases and have had 76 new cases in the last 24 hours.

Social isolation mightn't get rid of the virus, but it means that it spreads slowly in the population allowing the health system to cope and not be totally overwhelmed as Italy are right now.

We can save most people with medical treatment but if everyone gets sick at once, most people won't get the medical treatment that they need. We just don't have the capacity to deal with huge numbers.

I wasn't exactly planning on fighting the Government. Was more thinking of shooting an auld rabbit for something to eat while the non-gun owners starved.
    Thanks to Brexit you need passports for ferrets these days and there's a four month lead time for the rabies vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

if water, electric, groceries and internet stay up id happily keep goin forever

sanity, sher its a relative notion at best of times.

If the internet goes, then the Schidt will really hit the fan :eek:

Thanks to Brexit you need passports for ferrets these days and there's a four month lead time for the rabies vaccine.

Easy get good ferrets here without having to go to the UK for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

I just realised I snapped my underpants elastic in one of my panic buying sessions. Will I buy able to buy another in these trying times ahead ?

Yours sincerely,
    Worried.

If you're down to your last pair you're in big trouble anyway :P

Easy get good ferrets here without having to go to the UK for them.
    You say that now.

But when the toilet paper brigade start buying more than they need we'll have to import them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

trashcan wrote: »
    If you're down to your last pair you're in big trouble anyway :P

I'm afraid going commando will leave me more exposed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Taking notes of all the people stocking up, so when the **** hits the fan I'll know who to raid. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Ham radio on the way, only a handheld one but should get a few repeaters and hopefully a few locals on it to stave off the impending cabin fever

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ham radio on the way, only a handheld one but should get a few repeaters and hopefully a few locals on it to stave off the impending cabin fever

Go out for a walk, get some paint or other things and do some home improvements....

I was up painting till after 11 last night then continued to wind down with a few fizzy drinks till 7 am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

jim salter wrote: »
    If you're gonna bring down them peppers you'd better be prepped as you know they will be

They spent all that time hording up stuff.. i spent it training to be a deadly weapon!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Go out for a walk, get some paint or other things and do some home improvements....

I was up painting till after 11 last night then continued to wind down with a few fizzy drinks till 7 am

While we are still allowed to go for a walk.

I am supposed to be moving into a gaff I'm buying in the next few weeks but if the place goes into lock down it could take longer. Place I'm in now is tiny and I'm sharing so there could be some severe cabin fever on the way

While we are still allowed to go for a walk.

I am supposed to be moving into a gaff I'm buying in the next few weeks but if the place goes into lock down it could take longer. Place I'm in now is tiny and I'm sharing so there could be some severe cabin fever on the way

Even with the lockdown you have to be able to get out to shops or for medication, if you are sensible and stay safe there shouldn't be any harm in going for a walk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Even with the lockdown you have to be able to get out to shops or for medication, if you are sensible and stay safe there shouldn't be any harm in going for a walk.

the whole point is to limit social interaction and mass crowds, going out for a walk in an empty field wont do abit of harm.

Cupatae wrote: »
    the whole point is to limit social interaction and mass crowds, going out for a walk in an empty field wont do abit of harm.

Exactly, if you keep distance, don't touch handrails etc then keep washing hands and so on one should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

One effect of this could well be to put the final nail in the "high street" with regard to standard non grocery bricks and mortar retailers.

Meanwhile on the ring road if the garden centers/DIY places are forced to close in a general lock down I'll be going online as the postal service will be kept running almost no matter what with the couriers also staying in business I'm sure.

Advertisement