Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay sane or plan for the apocalypse?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

jim salter wrote: »
    I have 6 generators safely stashed in 12 locations (yes, you heard me right).

Standby hovercraft or spaceship, alchol free beer and water too. The TV you got me on....

The end is nigh

:rolleyes:

Alcohol free ?? Jaysus man, the virus would be better than that......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

jim salter wrote: »
    I have 6 generators safely stashed in 12 locations (yes, you heard me right).

Standby hovercraft or spaceship, alchol free beer and water too. The TV you got me on....

The end is nigh

:rolleyes:

Yeah you are truly royaly fcuked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I’m on the edge, Beginning to think I should buy a massive chest freezer and hunker down. (I’ve done no panic buying to date, herd mentality is setting in).In all seriousness, this is getting serious....

How the Fock are you planning to keep sane in the next few weeks....

You won’t get a chest freezer. Sold out everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You won’t get a chest freezer. Sold out everywhere.

That's for keeping the bodies cold

A stash of Razzle magazines (or Mayfair) and bottle or two of Wild Turkey and it'll be grand. Kleenex might be hard to get though......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

As serious as things are, it’s nice to have a bit of humor to take the edge off things, even if it’s just for a brief few moments, we can forget worry of our loved ones for a tiny fraction of time, hopefully we all keep safe, sláinte to after hours and #stay safe #stayathome #itillbefinedrinkwine

As serious as things are, it’s nice to have a bit of humor to take the edge off things, even if it’s just for a brief few moments, we can forget worry of our loved ones for a tiny fraction of time, hopefully we all keep safe, sláinte to after hours and #stay safe #stayathomeb #itillbefinedrinkwine

If we lose our sense of humour then we are all truly lost !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

PTH2009 wrote: »
    When will Bruce Willis, Tom Cruise and the likes be coming in to save the day

This is the low budget version, Vinny Jones and Sammo Hung are all that's acvailable

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

I’m on the edge, Beginning to think I should buy a massive chest freezer and hunker down. (I’ve done no panic buying to date, herd mentality is setting in).In all seriousness, this is getting serious....

It is easy to forget that for 99% of the history of humanity life was “nasty, brutish and short” as one famous thinker once put it. In a country like Ireland, we are lucky to be living in relative comfort with some of the longest life expectancies in history. That is not to say that life in Ireland is straightforward for everyone but as a general principle it holds true. So we tend to not to realise (at least until something truly bad happens in our lives) that human life is fragile.

Nonetheless we have access to far more scientific knowledge today than in the past. We will be able to develop treatment in the form of antivirals and ultimately a vaccine. We need to delay transmission of this virus as much as we can. Sensible precautions will save lives.

It is also worth thinking about the fact that the makeup of this virus is apparently similar to SARS from 2003. What was remarkable about the 2003 pandemic is that it basically burned out in July. There are a lot of unknowns about this particular strain of course. But I think we have reason to be optimistic that if we delay this for a few months we can get things under control. It is summer in the Southern Hemisphere but infections there tends to be associated with travel to those regions and then ensuing local transmission. There does not appear to be sustained community transmission in the Southern Hemisphere. This bodes well for the summer. I’m not a scientist but I think we have many reasons to be hopeful and not to despair. Here is the SARS graph: 1920px-2003_Probable_cases_of_SARS_-_Worldwide.svg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Rumours of a lockdown starting tuesday and could last 6-12 months

Irish lockdown will be interesting to see,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Rumours of a lockdown starting tuesday and could last 6-12 months

It's been a long time since I smoked but I thinking a big bag of weed maybe neccesary to see us though......

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

A 15 to 30-day supply of nonperishable food at home is sensible. If you end up infected and fighting the virus at home you don't want to be going to the shops when you're at your most infectious or weakest.

As for keeping sane, I imagine it'll be an opportunity for a lot of people to catch up on reading, hobbies or DIY tasks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

No one expects the national grid to go down or the mains water to stop working Might be a few isolated outages and take longer to repair than usual. Food also unlikely to run out. Main thing to prepare for would be avoiding cabin fever id say

Stop talking sense man, theres people waiting their whole lives to have a proper doomsday panic, dont ruin it for them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

What’s everyone’s thoughts on heading away for a few days now to escape this information overload.

But is it actually safe to go and stay in a hotel? Don’t know who’s stayed there in that room the night before you. Or who is in the hotel... ???

I’d love to head off to kerry Or Donegal and get out of Dublin but maybe that’s stupid and irresponsible heading to a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

I've order 4k litres of diesel off a friend and bought a few cartridges as well. Here's to 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I’m on the edge, Beginning to think I should buy a massive chest freezer and hunker down.

What do you plan to do with all the massive chests when they thaw out? I like a boob as much as the next man but the novelty will wear out fairly soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Pretty much decided whatever sh*t happens I'll just roll with it. Had an awesome life got to do and experience some wild stuff and still here. Slightly annoyed that a virus might end it ,but hey ho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Spanish
    Guitar
    Online Courses in IT

Basically everything I always wanted to do but procrastinated on.

**** it in crisis there is opportunity.

Also as per poster above, jaysus I've had some good times. We will see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

I didnt think it would get this bad but the hired Garda cars alone would make ye think that the **** is going to go down. Something just doesnt feel right. Good few countries in Europe are starting to close down now so why would we be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

think its time to sit back and put on a playlist of scrubs songs and to yourselve reflect on your whole life from the ups and downs and quielty fade away with a smile on your face and say 'everything i done in my life is what it is and at the end of the day it happend'

End Scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

CBear1993 wrote: »
    What’s everyone’s thoughts on heading away for a few days now to escape this information overload.

But is it actually safe to go and stay in a hotel? Don’t know who’s stayed there in that room the night before you. Or who is in the hotel... ???

I’d love to head off to kerry Or Donegal and get out of Dublin but maybe that’s stupid and irresponsible heading to a hotel.

Stay home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Take it one day at a time. Makes it easier. And ban " what ifs"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

CBear1993 wrote: »

Maybe those who have holiday homes in country or coast? Or a holiday let that has been empty all winter

But turning off boards and TV etc is safer?

Dratted covid19 infiltrates every small forum if we let it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Scary times. But I think for the majority of people we will be fine. The ones to work for are the elderly people in their 40s 50s and older must feel very fearful at the moment. Hopefully this will pass and in a few years time we will all be watching this period on reeling in the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Borgo wrote: »
    I didnt think it would get this bad but the hired Garda cars alone would make ye think that the **** is going to go down. Something just doesnt feel right. Good few countries in Europe are starting to close down now so why would we be any different?

We aren't any different. We will go exactly the same way. I would expect more measures this coming week to curb the spread.

It is only a matter of time before we have non-essential businesses told to shut.

Locally some people are already doing it on their own initiative. Barbers, newsagents, cafes etc. Maybe its an element of them not having staff with the schools being off, or simply not enough customers coming in to make it viable to remain open?

Either way, prepare to see new measures soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

NIMAN wrote: »

Either way, prepare to see new measures soon.

And expect the morons here to flagrantly ignore these measures.

We are home to some of the most stupid people in Western Europe.

I shall probable get 'da Corona'. Its probable going to happen. I am isolating from family members already

And while I'm not looking forward to feeling like ****, I'm not worried either. I will get it, I will be sick, I will get better and life will continue.

The death rate is dropping and is about 5% at the moment?!?! That's no apocalypse. It's nasty and if the estimates are right, it's a sizable number globally but society will continue.

(Awaits people calling me names for being pragmatic instead of emotional)

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Scary times. But I think for the majority of people we will be fine. The ones to work for are the elderly people in their 40s 50s and older must feel very fearful at the moment. Hopefully this will pass and in a few years time we will all be watching this period on reeling in the years.

Elderly people in their 40s? How old are you sonny?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The death rate is dropping and is about 5% at the moment?!?! That's no apocalypse. It's nasty and if the estimates are right, it's a sizable number globally but society will continue.

Imagine if you caught a disease and you were told you had a 1 in 20 chance of dying.

I wouldn't like those odds tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

October is when I see normality being restored, it's going to be a messy journey until then. I see martial law, rations, control of movement within the country all coming.

Yeah all of these things are a given for me tbh. I don't think the Irish public will handle it well at all and a lot of peoples mental health is going to be severely tested like never before. We are now pretty much guaranteed the worst recession the world will ever have witnessed and unthinkable numbers of job losses. :(

Advertisement