Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

There is a lot of talk of a status red lockdown on tuesday. Do people think this is true or just bs.

What is a code Red ??? I haven't seen a coloured scale of escalated plan actions published yet. Are people just making stuff up?*

I have no doubt further restrictions will be introduced and in fact I think they are overdue and I would welcome more direction and compliance. But talk of 'code red' without any form of reference is scaremongering. Whenever additional restrictions are introduced they won't communicate with us in terms taken from a Stephen King novel

Personally I think we should go to Yellow Alert first.

* on the intenet?, surely not?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

All Nappies, 0-6 months baby formula all gone in every supermarket in town yesterday

I pity the people who are left without and the stress of it

That's pretty lousy but can see why those panicked would stock up for a baby that young.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭facehugger99

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51895873

Isolate over 70s in UK within weeks

The UK response is looking more and more sensible as the days pass.

Isolate the over 70-'s and get the herd immunisation up in the general population with the minimum negative effect on the economy.

We may well be looking at their politicians and health expects with envy in 6-12 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Lumen wrote: »
    Nonetheless, so far we are sustaining higher case rates than the UK, per capita (we're at 26/million, they're at 17). We were level for a while, but the gap is widening, which is a concern.

It remains to be seen over the next few days whether they pull "ahead".

Yeh, hopefully they fact we are actually doing something now will help change that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

NIMAN wrote: »

There is already talk of a red shutdown this coming week. It is coming from social media. All it needs is one person to start it, and ironically enough, it spread on SM like a virus!

A big shutdown is coming, make no mistake about it. Would it be this week? We'll have to wait and see.

I'm not sure if you're being ironic or not with that last sentence. Is your problem with people predicting a lockdown this week only or at some point (as you're doing yourself).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

If NI don’t lockdown with us we should get the Army to close the border. Give 24 hours notice then just close it. Happening all over Europe.

100% agreed in theory. But do we have the capability to effectively seal the border in practice? (I don’t have a definite answer but I tend to think it wouldn’t work very well, especially since our army and police forces will likely be dragged into other issues related to the virus and quite possibly have their ressources stretched).

So hopefully NI authorities have the power (does someone know what authority they have on these matters?) and the will to go along with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Boggles wrote: »
    Bojo dithering about mass gatherings as the biggest mass gatherer in the UK - Football shut itself down last week.

When muli billion pound industry is acting more responsible then governance then you know your fúcked.

Perhaps not. It demonstrates that the "safety first" aspect of modern culture, which many people find irritating and overbearing, has permeated deeply within non-state instutions and is a positive asset in such a crisis.

Haven't seen many "political correctness gone mad" comments recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Axfrderr

Am already an auld wan so doesn't matter to me...:D

I sang that years ago and meant it, now I sing it a little less vigorously and sometimes even sitting down... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Field east

Denis O'Brien will save us.

Given that there will be as near to 100% negative corrrolation as does not matter between bed oppucancy re hotels/hostels and the presence of the virus, it gives the hotel owners a unique opportunity to make their premises available to the HSE - on a reasonable commercial basis.
    Also , those with ‘excess assets’ eg Desmond, Mc Manus, Magnier, Ronan , Naughton and a number of others could step up to the plate and help out in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Isolate the over 70-'s and get the herd immunisation up in the general population with the minimum negative effect on the economy.

We may well be looking at their politicians and health expects with envy in 6-12 months time.

Herd immunisation isn't a thing without vaccination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is a lot of talk of a status red lockdown on tuesday. Do people think this is true or just bs.
    On Twitter? Is this like the Army thing from last week? It doesn't sound like it is coming as they've made no reference to it. The school measure was expected but the timing was maybe not for some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Nonetheless, so far we are sustaining higher case rates than the UK, per capita (we're at 26/million, they're at 17). We were level for a while, but the gap is widening, which is a concern.

Lots of people are saying the per capita figures are useless unless we know the rates of those tested. This makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Achasanai wrote: »
    Lots of people are saying the per capita figures are useless unless we know the rates of those tested. This makes sense to me.

It's meaningless

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭greenfield21

+1000, as will Germany and the US likely follow their path. Three huge players in the global economy. These countries didn't get where they are today due to bad decisions. They are one step ahead as always. Time will tell...

lawred2 wrote: »
    Herd immunisation isn't a thing without vaccination.
    There is an assumption that it will give some without the vaccine but the level it might be is unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Drumpot wrote: »
    No they shouldn’t, you are wrong. Don’t remember seeing you around in these threads when we were all keeping a watchful eye on this as far back as January and wanted our government to start communicating with its people on it.

Some mistakes have been made but I’m not sure many countries can say they have dealt with this outbreak in a stellar fashion. Since last week our authories and the people running things have been excellent.

I've been following these threads since the start and that has nothing to do with how badly the government have handled this. I self isolated myself after the HSE told me I was fine to go into the general public so I have little regard for their advice.

I've also not said any countries can cover themselves in glory but that does not excuse our government.

They were to slow to react and didn't do enough. I hope they come good but will not applaud them for the way they have let this escalate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Field east wrote: »
    Given that there will be as near to 100% negative corrrolation as does not matter between bed oppucancy re hotels/hostels and the presence of the virus, it gives the hotel owners a unique opportunity to make their premises available to the HSE - on a reasonable commercial basis.
    Also , those with ‘excess assets’ eg Desmond, Mc Manus, Magnier, Ronan , Naughton and a number of others could step up to the plate and help out in some way.

I hope we all remember those pubs that stayed open last night, packed to the rafters.
    When this blows over and the true extent is known, I hope we never set foot in them again

On flip side, we need to support all those who took the hard choices early. They may have closed, but we need to support if they can reopen in some form.

Would be a great opportunity for big businesses to be as altruistic as possible.
    We will not forgot those companies that go above and beyond just making profit.

I think people are reading it as a league table. Ours may be clearer once they start issuing the new breakdown reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fair enough, but they have 20 serious cases and we have 6, and they have 14 times the population.

edit: they're at 21 deaths and we're at 2. The problem with deaths is that it's a lagging indicator by several weeks. It's like a variation of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, you can't have accuracy and timeliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Im more concerned about the number of tests . Countries that test alot per capita early dealing with this much more effectively

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

If anyone thinks that “within weeks” is good enough they should have a good look at the Italian numbers in terms of how quickly it has been spreading and overwhelming they health system. With their strategy I give the U.K. 2 weeks *at most* before people start dying in hospitals due to lack of available care.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Why on earth are radio stations still running ads for events that are obviously not going to go ahead. Just heard an ad for an event in my local library, which has been closed since friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Harris isn't too happy over on twitter with the folks who were having a sing song in Temple Bar, he has a point though it's kinda reckless when the disease is spreading this fast over the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Will lockdown mean factories close, people off work

Why on earth are radio stations still running ads for events that are obviously not going to go ahead. Just heard an ad for an event in my local library, which has been closed since friday.
    Because they've paid for it and the station is obliged to run them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,289 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm not sure if you're being ironic or not with that last sentence. Is your problem with people predicting a lockdown this week only or at some point (as you're doing yourself).

The clip I seen was of a guy off camera giving a doomsday scenario.
    It started off with "I know a guy who knows a guy who was in a meeting ..."

We all know this stuff is made up by people usually , social media is full of idiots who do nothing but add to the mess, because some folk believe 100% of everything they see on Facebook.

I wasn't trying to be ironic. I am saying a big shutdown is coming because it has to happen, not because I seen it on FB or am trying to be right. We have to do what Italy is doing, its only a matter of when rather than if now.

Even when we are shutdown, the numbers of affected will rocket, and we might not be able to cope with it.

Ad spots paid for. Whoever is in charge of it in the library not being quick enough to renegotiate / change the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

There a many different types of lockdown ranging from China to here. What we are missing is why the lockdown is implemented in the first place? It's to break the chain of transmission. 85% of transmission occurred in families in China so they isolate people from their family members. This is completely shocking but necessary and will probably end up being implemented in Italy if numbers don't start dropping. Again 80% of cases are mild but this can be anything from a cold to pneumonia. Nothing mild about pneumonia.

https://twitter.com/handyman1543/status/1239113440289001472?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

There is no colour coding.
    It was just used as a click bate by a so called journalist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

+1000, as will most likely Germany and the US follow their path. Three huge players in the global economy. These countries didn't get where they are today due to bad decisions.

Not really like for like comparison though is it? Germany has one of the best healthcare systems in the world and is effectively the leader of Europe and one of The richest countries in the world. We aren’t, we can only do what we can within our budget and our own healthcare system.

Trump was denying this was a problem up until a few days ago and many states are declaring state of emergency’s because they knew it was bad. USA hasn’t been testing people enough, in fact I believe their test per capita is one of the lowest in the world.

In terms of the Uk, they are going it alone and doing what everybody else isnt. It’s a massive gamble with old and vulnerable people’s lives as it’s only a hypothetical strategy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement