Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 machomac

UV exposure along with higher temps might be the biggest factor to breaking down the viruses cell membrane. Hence why even simple hot water and soap also destroy enveloped viruses, damaging it's outer fatty membrane, rendering it useless.

UV also helps build up general human immunity via Vit.D.
    Also, summer means: school holidays (young ones can be super-spreaders).

Schools went back end of January. Universities end of Feb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

bogwalrus wrote: »
    Just saw the sky news clip inside italian hospital. A bit of an eye opener for me. Looks like the patients are in an awful condition with virus.
    As long as it's not young adults, as there are reports of young folks brushing it off within a couple of days without hardly any symtoms.

Two strains with different capabilities of this thing would be bad news.

Italy also has a great healthcare system, it has double the amount of top-end oxygen bed/units compared to the uk.

N.Ire (Tory underfunded, and years of dithering) has it bad, their IntensiveCare beds are (today) already at '95% full/max capacity', and WuFlu hasn't really arrived yet there in any real sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Summer2020

I Started out in January thinking this was a China only problem. The last day or so has me seriously worried that this could change our way of life forever. This has all the hall marks of a seismic event in world history. The years of unhindered worldwide travel and open borders could be over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

machomac wrote: »
    Schools went back end of January. Universities end of Feb.
    Oops forgot about that, you're essentially entering a N.Hem typical September. Still, your Sep/Oct down at Manley/Coogee beach, is like an Irish summer with bells on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭con747

As long as economists are telling the Government and their medical experts what to do it will spread a lot faster than if they actually listened to the non Government related experts who just care about saving lives not money.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Summer2020 wrote: »
    I Started out in January thinking this was a China only problem. The last day or so has me seriously worried that this could change our way of life forever. This has all the hall marks of a seismic event in world history. The years of unhindered worldwide travel and open borders could be over.

Not to worry, things will eventually tick up once there's money to be made and our dead have been buried.

con747 wrote: »
    As long as economists are telling the Government and their medical experts what to do it will spread a lot faster than if they actually listened to the non Government related experts who just care about saving lives not money.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Climate change: reusable coffee cups
    Pandemic: ban reusable coffee cups

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Has anyone asked the simple question of the HSE of they actually have the capacity to undertake community testing?

Because I don't believe they can do this. We already know that this virus spreads exponentially.

I was in Madrid last week and caught the flu while there. In two weeks Spain will be the new Italy. At which point the guidelines will be updated to include Madrid as a hotspot.

I, like everyone, get the flu each year so I'm not going to self isolate based on the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,575 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Has anyone asked the simple question of the HSE of they actually have the capacity to undertake community testing?

Because I don't believe they can do this. We already know that this virus spreads exponentially.

I was in Madrid last week and caught the flu while there. In two weeks Spain will be the new Italy. At which point the guidelines will be updated to include Madrid as a hotspot.

I, like everyone, get the flu each year so I'm not going to self isolate based on the guidelines.

So, you were in Madrid last week and caught the flu.

Did you call your GP?

Or are you screwed in the head? Which is it?

I'd really like to know

What am I going to call my GP for? I had a very mild flu like I've had before. I didn't develop it after an incubation period. I literally for it the day I arrived.

Is everyone who gets flu supposed to call their GP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No, everyone doesn't get the flu each year. I think the estimates are 20% of the population max will get it in each flu season. Do you actually have flu symptoms or just a cold? If the former then you should get tested if possible.

What am I going to call my GP for? I had a very mild flu like I've had before. I didn't develop it after an incubation period. I literally for it the day I arrived.

If you are coming from Madrid, yeah.

Hard to know if you are trolling or not though. I suspect the former right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Here's strange one I come across in a blog report. 44 Iranians dead after mistakenly using alcohol to 'fight the coronavirus.' (Thehill)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

The way I'd like to imagine this (and I know it's not the flu)

But imagine 30 years of flu. Hitting the health system. Our population. All in one year.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    No, everyone doesn't get the flu each year. I think the estimates are 20% of the population max will get it in each flu season. Do you actually have flu symptoms or just a cold? If the former then you should get tested if possible.

That's my point though. We don't seem to have any capacity to get tested.
    I'm just saying that in two weeks people will be saying the same thing about returnees from Spain as they do from Italy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The Dow Jones rallied after Monday's crash.

That's my point though. We don't seem to have any capacity to get tested.
    I'm just saying that in two weeks people will be saying the same thing about returnees from Spain as they do from Italy now.

IF what you say is true I would strongly advise you to contact your GP.

If it is not true then you are just a sad moron. Right?

You come on here telling us you had a flu coming back from Spain and you won't self isolate.

You put yourself and others at risk.

niallo27 wrote: »
    The Dow Jones rallied after Monday's crash.

It'll do that. There's also the oil play with Saudi etc. These big ups and downs are sometimes an indicator of volatility. How's vix doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A Galway/Connacht thread on Covid 19 for anyone wondering about news in that part of the west.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Flu is at the end of its season right now.
    I've had a chest infection for the last few weeks, my doc did ask a few questions.

It's early days with thus virus though, wouldn't be too concerned just yet.

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Flu is at the end of its season right now.
    I've had a chest infection for the last few weeks, my doc did ask a few questions.

It's early days with thus virus though, wouldn't be too concerned just yet.

At the same time, kdf is right though, you should notify your GP about symptoms. Let them be the judge.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    At the same time, kdf is right though, you should notify your GP about symptoms. Let them be the judge.

My point still stands. The HSE don't have the capacity to test. Is everyone with flu symptoms supposed to self isolate?

Panama reports 7 new cases and 1 death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Second Person Cured Of AIDS

May be of some help in fighting/developing cure for the latest virus

https://www.sciencealert.com/hiv-cured-london-man-still-has-no-trace-of-infection-nearly-3-years-after-treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

China has done a good job but everyone who is extolling their approach needs to realise a few things:

1. Their whole approach was about preventing an overwhelming spread AND peak of infectivity which would overwhelm their health system's intensive care capacity and result in a spike in deaths from 2% to 10% of those infected.

2. Now that they feel they've largely avoided that they're going to loosen the restrictions a little ( whilst not having wasted the crisis to introduce additional controls/tracking for their population ) and allow areas to return to work.

3. Point 2 above will result in an increase in spread but the calculation they have clearly made ( probably correctly ) is that they can keep control of the spread of the virus by a combination of:
    a) local ongoing strictures on movement, testing at ingress and egress of all public areas, rapid testing etc and
    b) rolling lockdowns on any city/region where it looks likely to be beginning to get out of control.

4. A combination of the two above will result in a steady trickle of cases, 1 to 2% mortality and growing herd immunity whilst waiting for the vaccine:
    a) an experimental version for very high risk cohorts hopefully available before October/November when what is happening now will look like an entree compared to what could happen then without either herd immunity or a vaccine and/or
    b) a proper vaccine before Spring or Winter 2021 if this becomes seasonal - as appears likely now.

What they're doing is actually very clever and in keeping with good science ( and combined with their style of government etc ). But it is not as though they've beaten this and when they release restrictions we'll see a steady trickle of cases, even some significant clusters and lockdowns but they'll control those too just as they did Wuhan, they have the control template sorted now and will just ease off the brake as much as possible to keep the economy going before hitting it a bit whenever it looks likely to get out of control again in an area. Smart and effective.

As I said when I first posted about this. We'll be still dealing with this in March of 2021 and so will China. Hopefully at a much more controlled level but still present ( absent a real breakthrough in proving a virus is safe enough for widespread use much more rapidly than normally happens ).

old_aussie wrote: »
    Second Person Cured Of AIDS

May be of some help in fighting the latest virus

https://www.sciencealert.com/hiv-cured-london-man-still-has-no-trace-of-infection-nearly-3-years-after-treatment

No it won't be. In simple terms it requires obliteration of an individual's existing immune system/bone marrow and its replacement with bone marrow from an individual with a rare genetic immunity to HIV.

This isn't something which is going to be widely useful even in those infected with HIV ( although it does point to some avenues of research for more widely applicable cures for those infected with HIV ) never mind COVID-19.

Even if it were possible the timelines just don't match up. Basically if you get COVID-19 very severely and are ventilated and get bilateral interstitial pneumonia it appears you are often dead in 10 to 14 days from onset of symptoms. Even if this treatment could cure people of COVID-19 ( which it cannot ) it is a process of months rather than days or weeks and the process of obliterating the sufferer's immune system would simply accelerate their death.

As to the DOW etc... America is only getting started. Their response has been MUCH worse than most of Europe's. I think that sooner rather than later they'll surpass Italy in terms of rapidity of infection and death rates.

Their response hasn't been nearly as good as Europe's for a multitude of reasons and the way their health system is structured acts in opposition to whole community treatment irrespective of ability to pay ( which is essential in the response to this sort of illness ) so they will be hit very, very hard.

The American markets are going to have several more significant daily drops as various data comes out showing projections of spread within their country that they, currently, aren't even considering. I've been out of the stock market since early February in preparation for this and have put plans for moving house in Q4 this year on hold until next year ( house prices will be lower as will interest rates )... plus no point worrying about a house move when the focus needs to be on ensuring I'm around this time next year.

Summer2020 wrote: »

This is an overreaction. Even in the absolute worst case scenario, 100% infection and 10% death rate ( complete overwhelming of ICU beds ) you'd have about 750 million dead from a world population of 7.5 Billion.

That would leave 6.75 Billion people alive and now immune to this current strain of COVID-19.

What would happen then is COVID would become a seasonal virus like the flu, we would develop vaccines and as you got older and were at increased risk of dieing you'd get the vaccine. In a few years it would simply be the new normal.

It MIGHT cause governments and companies to deglobalise their supply chains somewhat to protect from the next virus which has this same impact ( which could easily happen every 20 years or so going forward ).

Just to be clear. I am NOT saying 750 million people will die. I'm just illustrating, as a thought experiment, that even if we didn't have any ICU beds and let everyone in the world get infected in the same week humanity would still survive and society would recover and move on.

It is bad but not that bad.

evil_seed wrote: »
    Due to go to Berlin in 10 days. Flights paid. AirBnB paid.

Would you go?

Yes. Why not? You can get infected just as much from a German as an Irish person.

Still only a very minor number of people infected.

• Advertisement

*sigh* And this attitude will kill citizens of this state. *sigh*

You don't self-isolate for yourself. You self-isolate so you don't infect others, who infect others, who infect others and at some point in that chain someone with an underlying illness gets it and dies.

Don't self-isolate for yourself, self-isolate for others. Your attitude is both ignorant and selfish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement