Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Token women commentators in men’rt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

It's just gender instinct a woman will pull out of the real tough aggressive challenge to avoid injury, where as a man will go in full pelt regardless of consequence. You could argue what's the smarter move but i much prefer watching a war on the pitch and then pundits explaining from experience what i've just seen

You couldn't say that at the last women's world cup. Lots of full blooded tackles and far less drama as opposed to Neymar and countless other players acting like they'd been shot and calling for yellow cards all day. The women's game is far more honest than their male counterparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Raconteuse wrote: »
    D'oh! :o

Anna Walker was another one.

It does look very whingey though.

There are comments like "100% tokens" - I've asked why. Not a word in response of course though. It really depends on the sport.

Someone even admitted Kelly Dalglish knows her stuff while at the same time going on about it being tokenism. There you go - knowing your stuff should surely be enough.

She does know her stuff... I never said she knows it any better than many male presenters or pundits though.

But yes, she probably is the most impressive woman in that capacity in the sport in terms of her depth of knowledge. (for me anyway)

She also happens to be easy on the eye too... and even more so when she was younger. So I would have my doubts, that she was hired solely for her knowledge! (Although who knows? I could be wrong!)

Most women in the sport - the vast majority - are tokens. Most men know this, many women even know this... most people are not willing to admit it though!

But why should there be any obligation to hire women in men's professional sport? It's not the same as other areas of society... it is a gender-specific work place... there is nothing sexist about only hiring men in a men only sport! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

She does know her stuff... I never said she knows it any better than many male presenters or pundits though.

But yes, she probably is the most impressive woman in that capacity in the sport in terms of her depth of knowledge. (for me anyway)

She also happens to be easy on the eye too... and even more so when she was younger. So I would have my doubts, that she was hired solely for her knowledge! (Although who knows? I could be wrong!)

Most women in the sport - the vast majority - are tokens. Most men know this, many women even know this... most people are not willing to admit it though!

But why should there be any obligation to hire women in men's professional sport? It's not the same as other areas of society... it is a gender-specific work place... there is nothing sexist about only hiring men in a men only sport! :)

They are not being hired for mens sport. they are being hired for TV. you seem unable to distinguish between the two.

They are not being hired for mens sport. they are being hired for TV. you seem unable to distinguish between the two.

lol

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Punditry itself is gone to the dogs anyway and that's across the board.
    We've had Giles and Dunphy admitting they've not watched European football, Jamie 'triffic' Redknapp, Mark Lawrenson and Danny Murphy who look like they hate their jobs and so on.

If we're applying the criteria that "they should have played the game" then the professional sports world moves so quickly nowadays that players who retired 5/10/15 years ago become out of touch too.

Personally, I think there's starting to be more value in fan driven analysis rather than these professional "talking heads" spitting out cliché after cliché.

• Advertisement

Can an amateur play the game and enjoy, of course...will an amateur have the required level of football intelligence to be a capable pundit....that is very very unlikely.

Simply nonsense.

Mourinho, Klopp, Benitez, Wenger some of the greatest managers of all time hardly kicked a ball between them at the professional level much less the top level. Klopp was the best of the bunch and he even admits he was bog-standard.

You can have a great understanding of a game/sport without being particularly good at it yourself. Your mind and your body are just on different wavelengths. It's why top players don't always make top coaches. It's one thing doing something yourself but it's a whole other world trying to get someone else to do it.

Plenty of examples in all sports where ordinary players become top level coaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Well I said in the same post which you quoted, that I don't think people should be hired on the basis of their sex, but they should be hired on their ability, so if a woman is hired who is good at the job, what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

There's no obligation - it's just sensible for the TV station.

As has been pointed out they are not employed as footballers, they are employed as pundits / commentators / presenters etc. It's an entirely different discipline.

In the 90s there were numerous female - not pundits but presenters and reporters on Sky Sports football programmes. E.g. Gabby Logan, Gabby Yorath, Kirsty Gallacher... and nobody gave a sh1t.

I get the feeling that this is just part of the "Waaaah, women have it better" narrative everywhere these past few years.

Gabby Logan and Gabby Yorath are the same person.

Plenty of examples in all sports where ordinary players become top level coaches.

And vice versa....Gary Neville anyone:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

razorblunt wrote: »

Haha !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Wheres the transgender pundits? Eh?

Jamie Redknapp would make a fine woman, lets get a petition going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Haha !
    Yes, already covered thanks. :)
    LOL

Same person
    D'oh! :o

Well I said in the same post which you quoted, that I don't think people should be hired in the basis of their sex, but they should be hired on their ability, so if a woman is hired who is good at the job, what's the problem?

The problem is there shouldn't be any obligation to hire women, in a sport that is only for men. But the PC culture is putting pressure on people, to give equal opportunities to women in a sector of society that is a gender-specific workplace!

Look, I'm not offended when I see a woman talking about men's football... and occasionally you do get someone like Daglish, who is worth her place based on her knowledge! But does she deserve to be there over a man? Not in this industry she doesn't...

Of course people will think I'm sexist for saying that... but I'm not. It's just people's pre-set mentality from how we operate in practically every other area of society!

And the token women being hired, who are clearly just eye-candy in most cases... that's irritating if you are a genuine fan of the sport. (I say that as someone who is very much a fan of women btw;))

Yes, already covered thanks. :)

To be fair she is worth mentioning twice. :D

There's no obligation - it's just sensible for the TV station.

As has been pointed out they are not employed as footballers, they are employed as pundits / commentators / presenters etc. It's an entirely different discipline.

Presenters yes.

Pundits and commentators are not entirely different.

Women are being hired to fill a quota... Alex Scott does not have exceptional analysis on the sport. Just because some male pundits also do not have exceptional insight, this still doesn't validate hiring women just to pander to gender politics!

An average male pundit, has more right to a place on a studio panel than an average female pundit... because it is their sport. But they are denied that opportunity, because of gender quota politics BS!

Presenters yes.

Women are being hired to fill a quota... Alex Scott does not have exceptional analysis on the sport. Just because some male pundits also do not have exceptional insight, this still doesn't validate hiring women just to pander to gender politics!

An average male pundit, has more right to a place on a studio panel than an average female pundit... because it is their sport. But they are denied that opportunity, because of gender quota politics BS!

Alexa Scott is ok, she's better on BBC than on Sky, I found. She was brilliant during the World Cup. Sky tend to dim all pundits anyway.
    Roy Keane was shouting about Pickford "he's not a good goalkeeper" which is brilliant for their clickbait twitter updates but how about you explain it, Roy.

For what it's worth he's right.

Presenters yes.

She's not bad. I've seen many far worse blokes waffling away over the years.
    Plus she's drop dead gorgeous which lets face it, never hurts when you are in front of a camera for a living.

An average male pundit has absolutely no more right than an average female pundit. Why would they?

It is not their sport - football is football, women play football, women watch football - why in the name of blessed Ronaldinho could they not talk about football?

Punditry is thinking and talking, not playing!

I can practically guarantee you that Alex Scott makes a better pundit than Wayne Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

and that is why the best players always make the best pundits, right?

Well at least they should have industry experience!!!!

Well at least they should have industry experience!!!!

yes because top level footballers have long experience of speaking intelligently.

• Advertisement

Simply nonsense.

Mourinho, Klopp, Benitez, Wenger some of the greatest managers of all time hardly kicked a ball between them at the professional level much less the top level. Klopp was the best of the bunch and he even admits he was bog-standard.

You can have a great understanding of a game/sport without being particularly good at it yourself. Your mind and your body are just on different wavelengths. It's why top players don't always make top coaches. It's one thing doing something yourself but it's a whole other world trying to get someone else to do it.

They were all involved in the game at the highest level....why has this conversation moved into management....and entirely different profession.

An average male pundit has absolutely no more right than an average female pundit. Why would they?

Why would they?

That's obvious, I've already said it... it's their sport... MEN'S professional football.

Of course a male pundit has more right to be there than a female pundit.

This isn't the business world... it's not a fortune 500 company! There is no obligation to hire any women. Why would there be?

yes because top level footballers have long experience of speaking intelligently.

Right cause they are all buffoons right...

You might have little respect for men who have achieved at the highest level of an extremely competitive global sport they have had to survive in since they were about 10 years old....but not everyone is like you!

Right cause they are all buffoons right...

You might have little respect for men who have achieved at the highest level of an extremely competitive global sport they have had to survive in since they were about 10 years old....but not everyone is like you!

your comprehension is at the same level as your mates.

your comprehension is at the same level as your mates.

Go away out of it you bluffer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Why would they?

That's obvious, I've already said it... it's their sport... MEN'S professional football.

This isn't the business world... it's not a fortune 500 company! There is no obligation to hire any women. Why would there be?
    Sport is business these days to be fair. I'm sure there is a theory having female pundit might attract more female viewers but the theory they're not qualified is a bit off to me. I'd listen to the likes of Dan Mcdonnell for example about soccer over most the retired professionals on sky for and he never played professional himself.

Go away out of it you bluffer!!!

explain to me how playing football at the top level translates readily into being able to talk about it intelligently?

Alexa Scott is ok, she's better on BBC than on Sky, I found. She was brilliant during the World Cup. Sky tend to dim all pundits anyway.
    Roy Keane was shouting about Pickford "he's not a good goalkeeper" which is brilliant for their clickbait twitter updates but how about you explain it, Roy.

For what it's worth he's right.

I've found her to be very average tbh.

I'm glad you mentioned Roy Keane... grumpy fecker as he is, still an outstanding pundit on the game nonetheless!

It's obvious Pickford is error prone. The only reason Keane was being questioned on his opinion, is because he's England No.1 and they have to stick up for him on the TV! Most people know Keane was correct! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Not every one is. Of course not. But there are more than enough that can. And they should be considered before someone put there because of their vagina and some equality quota.

• Advertisement

Why would they?

So obvious in fact that it's hard to see!

So what is it then exactly, does oestrogen render them incapable of looking at other people playing a game and comprehending what's going on? Do they just get distracted by their own tits? What?

You do understand there is a difference between actually doing a thing and talking about other people doing it....don't you?

Advertisement