Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

I notice Washington Post has altered their article headed: "Why you can't 'boost' your immune system to protect from coronavirus" to "No, you probably can't boost your immune system to protect from coronavirus", targeting such items as vitamin c and garlic.

It's pretty ironic that people who write articles like this supposedly to banish ignorance and set people straight usually haven't the slightest ****ing clue about what will help the immune system. Taking vitamin c and garlic will absolutely improve the average person's immune system and put them in a better position to fight it if they get it. It's no bullet proof of course, but for an unknown pathogen there's a high likelihood it will be an incremental improvement. Vitamin C helped with SARS and many others. Whether it's worth the bother is another thing, but it certainly will help.

Are the Chinese not presently doing trials of vit c iv and virus response to same... I would imagine there must be some validity if they are investigating...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,867 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What? People arent entitled to annual leave?

No, not at the moment. Is that not obvious?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Downlinz wrote: »
    It's hard to be optimistic when our government refuse to take even basic preventative measures. Cancel mass gatherings and ban flights from Italy and it would be some reassurance but in doing nothing it feels like an inevitable disaster waiting to happen.

See previous posts about the effectiveness of banning flights. I think Slovakia is the only EU country to ban flights to Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I think whoever released or allowed that figure of 1.9 million to be released is a scaremongering MotherFr AND should be jailed.they are projections and Are without merit and cannot at this time be proved.
    Shame on you whoever you are.

Big estimates are good and wholesome - panic helps. Small numbers are wishful thinking or lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

I think whoever released or allowed that figure of 1.9 million to be released is a scaremongering MotherFr AND should be jailed.they are projections and Are without merit and cannot at this time be proved.

the HSE did not say they were scaremongering, in fact they are not even the worse case scenario figures and the HSE agree they are not the worst case figures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Mr.S wrote: »
    If it get's as bad as Italy - yes schools will probably close.

If a school has students that test positive, then it will close.

Basically it's all a lot of "wait and see" no one can say for definite how this will pan out.
    If things get as bad as Italy, then the time for schools to be closed will have already passed. Shouldn't take thousands of cases to close schools, it should be a preventative measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

You can rest easy. This is a storm in a teacup. As you see in Eire only 2 cases today. It’s already peaked.

Hello to yet another new troll or a rereg troll.

Saw a woman in Aldi today openly coughing on the fruit with no attempt to cover her mouth or direct her head away from food. She really didn't look well at all and cough was very strong. Not saying it was covid-19 but it just hit home how screwed we all are with people like this out there spreading germs and who simply dont give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

aloevera33 wrote: »
    2 new confirmed cases. One in south Nd one in east. Both community transmission

So community spread in Cork has now occurred for 2 of our cases; and 1 in east - do we need to be wary of anyone displaying symptoms? and anyone know roughly where community spread in the east was identified .... like Dublin, Wicklow, kildare etc .... it's a big area

• Registered Users Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

8 new deaths announced today in France. Takes them to 19 confirmed deaths so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Sorry, but what qualifies you to say they are without merit? Care to explain how you have come to that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I'll be there no doubt. Whereas, it's an economic hit that the majority of Irish people will take. People actually working in the HSE will be dealing with life or death situations ((going by the viral load theory).

And I have always thought of them like deities, nurses especially because they're criminally underpaid and undervalued in society imo. What I'm saying is everyone can only perform their own role in this. You all have my utmost respect

Wish you the best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Time, staff and money.
    The primary specimens (swabs) would have to be handled in a fume hood/ safety cabinet https://www.medical-supply.ie/2019/03/27/biological-safety-cabinets/ as an example.

I don't know if they have enough equipment or medical scientists to keep up with demand. Maybe for now, but likely not for long. If staff are working at night and on weekends then there are less staff on during the day.

Remember, the NVRL carry out tests on thousands samples from around the country as it is. Those services still have to be provided. I'm sure they were busy enough as it is without having to take on this task.

Someone else mentioned lab facilities being available at NUIG but they would not be viable because they wouldn't be permitted to process patient specimens, the lab wouldn't be accredited. There is no accountability.

What happens if an error is found. A reagent wasn't working or someone wasn't properly trained.
    All results would be called into question and you'd be told tough luck, this lab wasn't accredited to national standards.

Just because a lab has the tools to provide a services, doesn't mean they're qualified to do so.

Well I just hope that all options are considered when it comes to expanding testing to meet demand, and that includes the possibility of bringing in lab capacity from outside the NVRL under supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

My point still stands? 8.7 on average is massive. Why are you disagreeing?

I'll leave the superlatives on this up to you. That's not how I'd be describing it given the challenges the HSE will be facing in protecting the significant amount of elderly and vulnerable we have in this country over the coming weeks and months.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

laurah591 wrote: »
    So community spread in Cork has now occurred for 2 of our cases; and 1 in east - do we need to be wary of anyone displaying symptoms? and anyone know roughly where community spread in the east was identified .... like Dublin, Wicklow, kildare etc .... it's a big area

The community spread is why the low figures are so difficult to understand. Maybe its long incubation time but you'd expect more than that if its moving around freely among the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nobody is stopping people getting Vitamin C from fruit or tablets. My understanding is the at the body excretes any excess of the vitamin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

JJJackal wrote: »
    Here is the thing Ciaran, when do you think the crisis will be over? You cant stop people taking AL etc for ever I suspect. I think this crisis will unfortunately highlight how understaffed and underresourced the HSE is. I suspect if you went to any hospital most staff would say that once people are on AL etc they are already understaffed. Overwork is likely to make front line staff more vulnerable to infection and also less careful with contact precautions if tired - a tricky situation

I honestly don't know.

It's a balance between the need to give staff leave and the need to preserve front line staff when large numbers have to self isolate or are unwell.

The HSE seems to have decided not to give staff leave. I'm really uncortable about this but I understand why they are doing this on a certain level. I disagree on another level and I really hope they have additional information I'm not aware about to support their position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I completely disagree - I think those projections could be our turning point to sorting this out! It's a rude wake-up call.

cnocbui wrote: »
    No, not at the moment. Is that not obvious?

How would you deal with this then? How would you deal with cancelling annual leave? Do you carry it over to the next financial year? Do you just pay staff instead (needing an increase in the income tax)?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Yurt! wrote: »
    I'll leave the superlatives on this up to you. That's not how I'd be describing it given the challenges the HSE will be facing in protecting the significant amount of elderly and vulnerable we have in this country over the coming weeks and months.
    Putting words into my mouth now. I've two close family members working in the HSE who are doing everything they can to contain this, just like every other HSE worker. I'm talking about the pure scaremongering thats going on on here, comparing us with Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Italy quarantines 16 million people in the north of the land.

Meanwhile, 3 flights from northern Italian city Milan, due to land in Dublin this evening.

A tiny island- ideally placed to implement control measuresand its open for business to a corona virus hotspot.

Wtf

We are clearly a very stupid people

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Putting words into my mouth now. I've two close family members working in the HSE who are doing everything they can to contain this, just like every other HSE worker. I'm talking about the pure scaremongering thats going on on here, comparing us with Italy.

Ireland shall not be compared with Italy. Noted and disregarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Italy had the same number of infected cases two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Anybody here thinking of writing to their t.d. The public needs to put pressure on them to stop non essential travel to cancel the parade and lock down areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

How would you deal with this then? How would you deal with cancelling annual leave? Do you carry it over to the next financial year? Do you just pay staff instead (needing an increase in the income tax)?

Look by the end of this many people will be lucky to even have a job many will be dead the economy will be in the toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

We are clearly a very stupid people
    for allowing Irish people to come home as they are legally entitled to?

And I have always thought of them like deities, nurses especially because they're criminally underpaid and undervalued in society imo. What I'm saying is everyone can only perform their own role in this. You all have my utmost respect

Wish you the best of luck

I'm not a nurse. But when all this is over, I imagine nurses will have bore the brunt of hardship. They are genuinely the most important aspect of the health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Nobody is stopping people getting Vitamin C from fruit or tablets. My understanding is the at the body excretes any excess of the vitamin.

Berocca pee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

You can rest easy. This is a storm in a teacup. As you see in Eire only 2 cases today. It’s already peaked.
    Im so happy to hear this, there was I listening to the HSE and WHO, looking at what is happening in China and Italy whilst listening to top health experts, I am so relieved now having met a randomer on the Internet who knows more than anyone else. Ya Gobshyte!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement