Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Italy deaths are shocking.

Tbh, I have started to feel very anxious about this virus today.
    I am reasonably healthy (no conditions but could be fitter) as are my Husband and kids. My elderly Mum has an underlying health condition as does my younger sister who also has special needs. I worry for them. We live 3.5 hours apart.

In a similar boat - I'm healthy enough and not too concerned for myself. But I live about 90 minutes from my Mam who would have one of the underlying conditions that would be troublesome.

I genuinely don't know the next time it's safe for me to visit home.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,664 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Italian flights still incoming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Cancel annual leave & study leave are 2 of them anyways.
    the other is hiring more staff - but that aint gona happen as where are all these potential medical professionals going to come from?

But maybe take a leaf out of your own book on keeping stum until you see the proposals and what is being asked of people

Look at Italy today people in the HSE want to go on holiday right now?

Are they insane?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Has there been any evidence to theory that the covid19 virus as mutated to a more lethal form (found it Italy) or is there another explanation for the high death rate.

The strain in Europe is the same and originates from the first patient in Germany, or Bavaria Patient 1 (shortened in BavPat1)
    Reseach has established the samples from (so far) Switzerland, Finland, Italy, Brazil and Mexico are all related to Bavaria Patient 1 , who was infected by a colleague from China.

https://nextstrain.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Bit of scandal with the Vietnam situation. One of the foreigners with it slept with a prostitute and she had to give up everyone she slept with. 12 in six days.

Is there a link to this story ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

fits wrote: »
    Your desire for the latest news is not more important than operational needs.

I have no such desire and the ascription of motive is tiresome. Transparency means that everyone is aware of the criteria being used to arrive at decisions and those decisions are not influenced by lobbyists. Quite frankly the HSE lost public confidence years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Still missing at least one person im aware of who was confirmed friday, the details released dont line up with them yet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I see where this is going

It’s only in China
    It’s only in Asia
    It’s only in Italy
    It’s not really in Ireland
    It’s not that many in Ireland
    It’s only old people In Ireland
    It’s only old and vulnerable people in Ireland
    It’s only old, vulnerable and people having ongoing Medical conditions in Ireland
    It’s only old, vulnerable, people having ongoing medical conditions and the over extended healthcare workers in Ireland

How did this happen?

It was China’s fault, there was absolutely nothing we could of done.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Yes, they be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Are the HSE getting their numbers from the newspapers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

Drumpot wrote: »
    Has anybody a credible theory on this?

A lot of people are confident this will not be as bad here for some reason, maybe they could explain that to us?

A theory I had seen (on whatsapp) was that there is a lot of illegal chinese workers in the textile industry in north Italy and it was rampant in the factories but because of them being illegal they waited until they were in a bad way to be seen. I have no idea if this is remotely true just passing it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

gabeeg wrote: »
    Do you think they're going to put all the bodies on ice?

No, they will bury them quickly. A government minister on channel 4 news 2 weeks ago said one option being considered was a tented morgue in Hyde Park to contain the bodies and all councils have been told to prepare for quick burials. There will be no ritualistic funerals, with large gatherings, that would increase the risk of spreading the virus further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

I'm not sure whats the biggest enemy on this thread and with Covid 19 in general, Community spreading or rumour spreading

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Look at Italy today people in the HSE want to go on holiday right now?

Are they insane?

What? People arent entitled to annual leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Rocko wrote: »
    TAKEN From Elsewhere

I live near Milano Italy, I feel well and until now I do not know Personally anyone
    who has caught this Covid.

I’m writing this because I think you all should know what is like living in this emergency,
    hoping that you will never be in a similar situation.

Hospitals here are more than full, you have to be in trouble with your lungs to get treatment.
    If you are over 69 years old you’ll be sent back, whatever the symptoms.

My friend’s sister works in a public child care studio, the health authority has closed it and added
    all the personnel to the intensive care staff, even if they are not properly trained.
    She says that what we, common people without medical knowledge, don’t understand is that this flu
    might not have a really tragic mortal rate, but is really dangerous for those few, old people or not, who develop a pneumonia.
    Those 10/15 who develops pneumonia out of 100 Covid affected, need intubation in intensive care for 3 Up to 6 weeks.

This is the real difference between an average flu virus and this Covid: if it affects your lungs only intensive care might save you, drugs alone might not be enough.

Some retirement houses refuse visits from relatives.
    Lots of Surgery schedules have been cancelled, only vital ones are performed.

Pubs, Discoteques, museums, cinemas, theatres, sport venues and activities are shut down.
    From today some supermarkets let in only small groups of clients to avoid overcrowding.

We have stopped to hug and kiss our friends and relatives when we meet, we Italian tend to hug&kiss a lot so it’s surreal.
    I have shaken hands with a friend yesterday, we stopped, looked at each other, went straight to the bathroom to wash our hands.

My mother has a cardiopathic disease, we talked an hour ago and decided that we will
    not see each other until the emergency is over, since me and my wife both work in Milano,
    met thousands of people and we really have a good chance to be affected.

Uh, long post, sorry. I hope I’ve not bored you too much.
    It's an awful situation. All the best to you and yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

owlbethere wrote: »
    Why are you all still posting on boards? Get over to Facebook and look for your local representative and ask them to help and at least cancel the parade.

This was on Reddit

https://daily.jstor.org/the-1918-parade-that-spread-death-in-philadelphia/

1918 Philadelphia parade - Spanish flu - 45000 being infected within a week and lead to 12000 deaths within 6 weeks.

I found my local politician and wrotenon his page. It didnt build any traction. I did insult him like the usual tripe on some comments. I kept a level head and hammered out the seriousness of this virus threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭bennyl10

VinLieger wrote: »
    Thats us in 2 weeks

Utter and complete Bs.
    Italy has a much older population and handled this horribly.
    Thsi hasn’t happened in any other european country.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,369 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Of course.

Plenty more to come :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Italy deaths are shocking.

And keep in mind this is only the figures for casualties directly caused by the virus.

For what I am reading, the panic in hospitals is also causing patients with other pathologies not to get full treatment, which is likely causing more indirect deaths related to the virus.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Surely in Italy now the numbers of infections is a large multiple of what's being reported, simply due to the limit on the number of people they can test and people with the infection not presenting themselves in hospital. Even with an elderly population, a CFR of 4.9% seems very high.

Regardless, Italy provides us with a window into the future, and the simple fact is that the health service is not able to cope with a large increase in patients presenting themselves in need of intensive care. There needs to be aggressive measures to contain the outbreak in Ireland before it gets out of control.

• Advertisement

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

VinLieger wrote: »
    Still missing at least one person im aware of who was confirmed friday, the details released dont line up with them yet

Yep, make you wonder how far behind the numbers actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

I don't know how many tests the NVRL can get through in a day. I don't know anyone who works there but I'd love to know how they're getting on. They must be under serious pressure. When the numbers are released on Tuesday I'm sure someone here will compare that number to the amount that were carried out last week and divide by 7.

If the number of cases here starts to rise dramatically then we may not have the capacity to test people under the current criteria. We may have to resort to just testing those who become very unwell and need hospitalisation. Testing would be required on those patients for a definitive diagnosis.

Would you know what the limiting factors are? Do the swabs have to be handled at a particular containment level? Are there not enough real-time PCRs or technicians at the NVRL.

If it's a shortage of real-time PCR machines and operators, and there is an emergency need for more testing, that would seem to be solvable given the number of academic and commercial labs that do this work routinely. It would mean labs stopping their normal work, but we're in strange times already. Some training would be required in the specifics of this particular assay, but that could be supervised by the NVRL I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,406 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The modding situation is terrible. People pulling numbers out of the sky. Enforce the rules mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

pjohnson wrote: »
    Community spreading. Who could have seen that coming?

Impossible. The HSE have not not any reason to think there are more cases out there than there are. Not. Punctuate as appropriate.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

133 more Italian deaths today, that's sobering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

What? People arent entitled to annual leave?

This is a crisis what part of that are you not understanding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Utter and complete Bs.
    Italy has a much older population and handled this horribly.
    Thsi hasn’t happened in any other european country.

Germany, France and Spain are only about a week to 10 days behind Italy. Yes they are older in Italy but everywhere is going to have problems when hospital systems collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I am a natural born worrier. Cant help it. But i have really tried to have some perspective here on the effect it could have on our country my family and me.
    When you see flights are still landing from a country that is putting millions of its own people in isolation it is just baffling.
    I am fast losing any calm i had about this. I think most of are now destined to be affected in some way. I will likely get through it fine but what about my friend on chemo or my elderly relatives

I hope the parade is cancelled. And schools tbat are affected close immediately. I hope peoples lives are put before economy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

marno21 wrote: »
    Surely in Italy now the numbers of infections is a large multiple of what's being reported, simply due to the limit on the number of people they can test and people with the infection not presenting themselves in hospital. Even with an elderly population, a CFR of 4.9% seems very high.

Regardless, Italy provides us with a window into the future, and the simple fact is that the health service is not able to cope with a large increase in patients presenting themselves in need of intensive care. There needs to be aggressive measures to contain the outbreak in Ireland before it gets out of control.

Yeah it's extremely obvious what to do. It's basic survival yet the government appear to be suicidal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement