Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I think whoever released or allowed that figure of 1.9 million to be released is a scaremongering MotherFr AND should be jailed.they are projections and Are without merit and cannot at this time be proved.
    Shame on you whoever you are.

The figures are based on what the HSE is expected to confirm later this week.

They will have three scenarios, one of them being 40% population infection rate as quoted by the SBP. The HSE are expected to predict that this is the most likely outcome and what they are preparing for.

Just listen back to the This Week interview today on Radio 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I've two close family members working in the HSE who are doing everything they can to contain this, just like every other HSE worker.

I'm sure frontline staff are genuinely working hard, but the administration of the HSE are completely screwing this up
    I'm talking about the pure scaremongering thats going on on here, comparing us with Italy.

And it's opinions like this that are the cause of complete inaction.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Are the Chinese not presently doing trials of vit c iv and virus response to same... I would imagine there must be some validity if they are investigating...
    There has certainly been interest in vitamin C regarding SARS and viral pneumonia in general. Link here, a paper from 2003. IIRC this involving vitamin C by intravenous application. Here's another.
    This one seems to suggest oral supplementation.

Studies on human subjects have reported decreased levels of vitamin C
    in plasma, leukocytes, and in urine during various infections, including
    pneumonia, which suggests that infections affect vitamin C metabolism (2).
    Placebo-controlled trials have shown quite consistently that the duration
    and severity of colds are reduced in the vitamin C group (2). Several
    authors have suggested that vitamin C may hasten convalescence from
    pneumonia (2), although I am aware of only one randomized trial pertinent
    to this issue; it was carried out in the UK with elderly patients
    suffering from pneumonia or bronchitis (5). Therapeutic vitamin C (0.2
    g/day) caused a statistically significant decrease in a score of
    respiratory symptoms in the patients who were most severely ill when
    admitted to hospital, and a decrease bordering on statistical significance
    in all patients (5). Furthermore, there were 6 deaths during the trial,
    all due to respiratory infections: 5 of them in the placebo group (n=29),
    but only 1 in the vitamin C group (n=28) (P=0.09; Fisher's exact test, 1-
    tail). The possibility that therapeutic vitamin C supplementation may
    reduce the severity of respiratory infections seems to warrant further
    controlled trials, especially in the light of the SARS epidemic.

It's long been known that infections reduce blood concentrations of vitamin C, but the jury is still out on if adding more into the mix is therapeutic, but it's looking likely. That said if I did catch viral pneumonia I'd personally be necking the Rubex.
    Saw a woman in Aldi today openly coughing on the fruit with no attempt to cover her mouth or direct her head away from food. She really didn't look well at all and cough was very strong. Not saying it was covid-19 but it just hit home how screwed we all are with people like this out there spreading germs and who simply dont give a ****.
    The majority of people are generally OK to deal with, but there is also a large percentage of people that while being OK to deal with in passing are pretty thick. I used to think it was more selfishness, but have come to believe it's general ignorance and stupidity.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Saw a woman in Aldi today openly coughing on the fruit with no attempt to cover her mouth or direct her head away from food. She really didn't look well at all and cough was very strong. Not saying it was covid-19 but it just hit home how screwed we all are with people like this out there spreading germs and who simply dont give a ****.

I hope she's barred from attending the St Patricks day parade in Dublin.... Then it'll be grand!? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Bit of scandal with the Vietnam situation. One of the foreigners with it slept with a prostitute and she had to give up everyone she slept with. 12 in six days.

That's nothing, in Spain they quarantined a brothel trapping 86 customers inside.
    https://www.periodistadigital.com/magazine/humor/20200306/coronavirus-cuarentena-puticlub-86-clientes-positivo-peste-china-prostituta-noticia-689404275321/

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »
    Sorry, but what qualifies you to say they are without merit? Care to explain how you have come to that conclusion?

I lie in between you and the other person in my beliefs. I wouldn't trust either of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

This thread should be quarantined, huge obsession with death is not healthy, have a beer, watch tv, live life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

What aldi

Nobody is stopping people getting Vitamin C from fruit or tablets. My understanding is the at the body excretes any excess of the vitamin.
    This is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This thread should be quarantined, huge obsession with death is not healthy, have a beer, watch tv, live life.

Nobody is under any obligation to read it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Putting words into my mouth now. I've two close family members working in the HSE who are doing everything they can to contain this, just like every other HSE worker. I'm talking about the pure scaremongering thats going on on here, comparing us with Italy.

Comprehend the data from the other countries and relate it to us. Its all the same trajectory.

Why would we be any different from Italy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sorry, but what qualifies you to say they are without merit? Care to explain how you have come to that conclusion?

The HSE won’t have their modelling complete till next week so even their published worst case scenario isn’t finalised.

Also if you compare with the worst effected countries (China and Italy), the number of cases doesn’t equate to similar percentages of their population

tillyfilly wrote: »
    for allowing Irish people to come home as they are legally entitled to?

Irish people, and non Irish people, no doubt some of whom will be carrying the virus who will in turn, no doubt, infect some people in the community. On average carriers each infect 4 people (covid-19 has an R0 4-6).

Will there be quarantine? Will there be mandatory testing? Will there even be a simple spray of disinfectant on each of the passengers? There hasn't been so far, which is why we currently have an outbreak.

As I said, very, very stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,662 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

tillyfilly wrote: »
    for allowing Irish people to come home as they are legally entitled to?

For not testing and telling them all to self isolate

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

You can rest easy. This is a storm in a teacup. As you see in Eire only 2 cases today. It’s already peaked.

Dangerous comment. Keep your nonsensical analysis to yourself for our own sake please.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If only Boards had been around at the time of the Black Death.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

My issue isnt about comparing one countries response to anothers and doesnt soley reside with this event.

I would like some real fcuking leadership from those in charge. There has been fcuk all in the media to allay anyones fears.

We arent mushrooms, so theres no need to feed us shyte and keep us in the dark.

I was asked in an interview once what was the hardest decision I ever took. My answer was that the hardest decision was to do nothing while all around me people were panicking and calling for contradictory and counter-productive actions.

I got the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Anybody here thinking of writing to their t.d. The public needs to put pressure on them to stop non essential travel to cancel the parade and lock down areas.

Facebook. Writing and sending a letter will be too slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

VinLieger wrote: »
    For not testing and telling them all to self isolate

the test is not very effective as the person being tested may not be showing symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We are clearly a very stupid people

I don’t think you can say that............
    cloudatlas wrote: »
    Anybody here thinking of writing to their t.d. The public needs to put pressure on them to stop non essential travel to cancel the parade and lock down areas.

.......well, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

blanch152 wrote: »
    I was asked in an interview once what was the hardest decision I ever took. My answer was that the hardest decision was to do nothing while all around me people were panicking and calling for contradictory and counter-productive actions.

I got the job.

Are you running the HSE now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

You sound like you are really living life there, wow beer and TV :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

We are clearly a very stupid people

Having lived in super organized Holland for 5 years, I feel it would more accurate to say we're sloppy, disorganized amd chaotic. That's why I came back - the freedom.

If we were stupid, we wouldn't see the significance of flying the virus direct into our capital city.

And it's not like Milan is the only city in Northern Italy flying into Dublin.

-

I was at a 'Meet the Contenders' event prior to the recent election. Each candidate was given a two minute opening slot to state their basic position.

What struck me was how few of the candidates running could even string a coherent sentence together. Only Harris and one other were intelligible but both spat out well rehearsed lines. How smart they are is an unknown.

I am not, nor have I ever been a member of the "TD's must be intelligent" party.

Look by the end of this many people will be lucky to even have a job many will be dead the economy will be in the toilet.

Yes. But at least the vast majority of them will be alive unlike front line staff who are working mad shifts. I'll die on my sword. I'll be there through the thick and the thin (with appropriate safety precautions taken).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I lie in between you and the other person in my beliefs. I wouldn't trust either of ye.

Why would you need to trust me? Yet another pathetic personal attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,273 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

cnocbui wrote: »

Be funnier if it was true

I think whoever released or allowed that figure of 1.9 million to be released is a scaremongering MotherFr AND should be jailed.they are projections and Are without merit and cannot at this time be proved.
    Shame on you whoever you are.

Shame on you people for negatively affecting the Dow Jones index! Shame!

20% infection rate and 2% death rate are more than reasonable assumptions at the moment. This is based upon all available current evidence and impacts of previous pandemics.

Maybe you would like to be hired by the Chinese government? They initially had a strong policy of censorship in relation to the outbreak attempting to minimize scaremongering, which may, or may not, have significantly hampered the international community's capacity to initially deal with the infection. Because, as we all know, if you want to stop an outbreak, you have to act early.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Is the Hse update the only one for today, or will there a further one later on? I thought it was later in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Italy had the same number of infected cases two weeks ago.

More misinformation. Two weeks ago Italy had 137 cases and 3 deaths,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭irishgeo

All this the talk of locking down areas. The bitching and moaning about when a red weather warning is given to a whole county.

All the liars here not to stop posting rubbish saying. I know x no of cases that are confirmed. Yet when the figures come out it's not listed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement