Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Fair. But would the general public take the hit in increased taxes that this would cause like 1-2% increase in income tax short term.

Everyone's going to have to take all kinds of hits whether they like them or not

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I notice Washington Post has altered their article headed: "Why you can't 'boost' your immune system to protect from coronavirus" to "No, you probably can't boost your immune system to protect from coronavirus", targeting such items as vitamin c and garlic.

It's pretty ironic that people who write articles like this supposedly to banish ignorance and set people straight usually haven't the slightest ****ing clue about what will help the immune system. Taking vitamin c and garlic will absolutely improve the average person's immune system and put them in a better position to fight it if they get it. It's no bullet proof of course, but for an unknown pathogen there's a high likelihood it will be an incremental improvement. Vitamin C helped with SARS and many others. Whether it's worth the bother is another thing, but it certainly will help.

No they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,783 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Drumpot wrote: »
    So if all your shops were closed and your town was locked down and isolated from the outside, you think it’s best to just let people imagine what might happen instead of telling them the plan to safeguard everything they need?

It wouldn't need an announcement from anyone to show me that all the shops were closed. They're all open now where I am, and I hope people will be sensible and not start panic buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

faceman wrote: »
    Nope. As previously posted more than once, research shows banning flights only temporarily delays the spread of the disease. 3-5 days in the case of China. 3 weeks in international cases.

There’s more to it than that but that’s the headline

Slowing spread would be useful. Allows more time to prepare etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Why are they there in the first place? It has been known for weeks now that northern Italy is a high risk area.

I guarantee they’d complain about the government not letting them going on holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

otnomart wrote: »
    OK,
    France is still at "stage 2 plus" and will move to "stage 3" only when the virus trasmission will spread to its entire territory, which is not the case yet.
    This means that they are not following Italy in locking down the most affected regions.
    https://www.bfmtv.com/societe/coronavirus-la-france-bientot-confinee-comme-le-nord-de-l-italie-1871214.html
    I also don't see social distancing implemented there.
    Earlier on French TV a commentator was asking consumers to continue spending as before.

The doctor commenting at the moment on the live stream of the link you provided is appalling.

The host asked him: why do some countries impose stonier measures than others (including lockdowns).
    His answer: "because China let the situation go out of hands at the beginning and had to take drastic measures to recover it. We won't have this situation here and we are taking the appropriate decision at the appropriate times."

He should be having a good look at Italy before being so sure ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    Is there a possibility that it may not be that bad here at the moment? Could we be lucky and hopefully continue to see very small increases. Possible right? Im hoping

It's hard to be optimistic when our government refuse to take even basic preventative measures. Cancel mass gatherings and ban flights from Italy and it would be some reassurance but in doing nothing it feels like an inevitable disaster waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

What countries are doing the things you want to see done?

My issue isnt about comparing one countries response to anothers and doesnt soley reside with this event.

I would like some real fcuking leadership from those in charge. There has been fcuk all in the media to allay anyones fears.

We arent mushrooms, so theres no need to feed us shyte and keep us in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Nope. As previously posted more than once, research shows banning flights only temporarily delays the spread of the disease. 3-5 days in the case of China. 3 weeks in international cases.

Of course it is, all we can do is stagger and delay at this stage to give the health system a chance to treat as many as possible. Make no mistake, all of these measures (no large gatherings, transport bans, quarantines) are in place to smooth out the infection rate, so that the likelihood of an exponential ramp up is reduced.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Again, if an undergrad turned in a paper citing that website, I'd be asking them who world population review are when they're at home.

Sorry if I'm nitpicking, but you're making strong statements about cause and effect with the virus based on a median age figures cited from websites that most 1st year college students know better than to put in their footnotes.

But what about the CSO?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I thought delaying the peak was a key part of the plan to allow countries to deal with this? 3 weeks sounds pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ITALYCHART.png?itok=rePBrCsw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

BREAKING NEWS ...

John Travolta was hospitalized for suspected COVID-19, but doctors now confirm that it was only Saturday Night Fever, and they assure everyone that he is Staying Alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

That's what I'm driving at, there's not a 15 year differential in the median age as you posted is there?

The only somewhat authoritative source posted reveals it's 8.7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

blanch152 wrote: »
    There is near universal stupidity among people claiming to know what the people support.

There is a mob on social media panicking and crying wanting to stop the St. Patrick’s Day parade while they have no issue with their neighbours and friends travelling to Anfield and Old Trafford this weekend and Cheltenham next week.

It is pathetic. If you are afraid of the Parade, stock up on toilet rolls and Brennan’s bread and stay at home under the table.

Apparently it takes being in the company of someone with covid19 for 15 minutes to catch the virus. It has been recommended to stand 6 feet apart to prevent spread by coughing or sneezing. Standing in a crowd of possibly infected people from around the world the world is inviting this in. Postponing the parade is the sensible thing to do. It was done before why not now? I would also cancel Cheltenham but it is not in Ireland and Irish people have to make up their own mind knowing they are going to a country with know community infection.

I dont care about the low rates of cases at the moment, that will change, it is slowly going up and the speed will increase and if stopping a parade, football matches concerts, closing cinemas will help, then do it.

Nip it in the bud early. We have seen effects else where and we have a slim chance of slowing it down if we act now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

darjeeling wrote: »
    Would you know what the limiting factors are? Do the swabs have to be handled at a particular containment level? Are there not enough real-time PCRs or technicians at the NVRL.

If it's a shortage of real-time PCR machines and operators, and there is an emergency need for more testing, that would seem to be solvable given the number of academic and commercial labs that do this work routinely. It would mean labs stopping their normal work, but we're in strange times already. Some training would be required in the specifics of this particular assay, but that could be supervised by the NVRL I'd have thought.

Time, staff and money.
    The primary specimens (swabs) would have to be handled in a fume hood/ safety cabinet https://www.medical-supply.ie/2019/03/27/biological-safety-cabinets/ as an example.

I don't know if they have enough equipment or medical scientists to keep up with demand. Maybe for now, but likely not for long. If staff are working at night and on weekends then there are less staff on during the day.

Remember, the NVRL carry out tests on thousands samples from around the country as it is. Those services still have to be provided. I'm sure they were busy enough as it is without having to take on this task.

Someone else mentioned lab facilities being available at NUIG but they would not be viable because they wouldn't be permitted to process patient specimens, the lab wouldn't be accredited. There is no accountability.

What happens if an error is found. A reagent wasn't working or someone wasn't properly trained.
    All results would be called into question and you'd be told tough luck, this lab wasn't accredited to national standards.

Just because a lab has the tools to provide a services, doesn't mean they're qualified to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

YFlyer wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS ...

John Travolta was hospitalized for suspected COVID-19, but doctors now confirm that it was only Saturday Night Fever, and they assure everyone that he is Staying Alive.

Not one bit funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

That's what I'm driving at, there's not a 15 year differential in the median age as you posted is there?

Isn't 8.7 a lot in context?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

My point still stands? 8.7 on average is massive. Why are you disagreeing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

You can rest easy. This is a storm in a teacup. As you see in Eire only 2 cases today. It’s already peaked.

what about the ones who are the asymptomatic walking dead ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    Not one bit funny

Yes it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Graces7 wrote: »
    an unnecessary remark. very much so . the loss of any real humanity is the really worst consequence for any society. death of any groups is an equal tragedy

I'm not saying it isn't tragic. It would be. If you read my post I was talking about a disease that kills younger people would be far worse for society. Like the Spanish flu that killed younger people who would leave behind orphans etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

I see two points here. Annual leave is essential. We see in Italy and China a very high level of cases among medical staff. A part of this is exposure and a part is overwork as they try and deal with the criss.

If a doctor could take a week off in the next month and if that would half the level of cases amoung front line medical staff I would love to give it to them. Can the HSE afford to do this though?

I honestly don't thinks so. If staff take holidays during crisis there won't be enough people on the front line.

Here is the thing Ciaran, when do you think the crisis will be over? You cant stop people taking AL etc for ever I suspect. I think this crisis will unfortunately highlight how understaffed and underresourced the HSE is. I suspect if you went to any hospital most staff would say that once people are on AL etc they are already understaffed. Overwork is likely to make front line staff more vulnerable to infection and also less careful with contact precautions if tired - a tricky situation

• Registered Users Posts: 20,783 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

My issue isnt about comparing one countries response to anothers and doesnt soley reside with this event.

I would like some real fcuking leadership from those in charge. There has been fcuk all in the media to allay anyones fears.

We arent mushrooms, so theres no need to feed us shyte and keep us in the dark.

It like people delayed in airports being told that there is no definite time slot for their flight. They go on the media saying nobody is telling us anything.

No amount of public service announcements about the virus will be satisfactory for some people. It is much more down to you and me being sensible in our daily lives, not waiting for some Leader to tell us exactly what to do every five minutes.

Everyone's going to have to take all kinds of hits whether they like them or not

I'll be there no doubt. Whereas, it's an economic hit that the majority of Irish people will take. People actually working in the HSE will be dealing with life or death situations ((going by the viral load theory).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It wouldn't need an announcement from anyone to show me that all the shops were closed. They're all open now where I am, and I hope people will be sensible and not start panic buying.

Of course people will panic buy, what makes people think things will be any different where they live? People are people. They can lose their sense of calm when scared and their security is challenged.

It’s happening everywhere eventually, I’d rather have a clear plan and message for people, then a “ let’s hope everyone knows it’s going to be grand” approach. This “can’t panic people” thinking has to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Probably answered somewhere but why are they naming the hospitals in cork and not what hospitals in the east ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I think whoever released or allowed that figure of 1.9 million to be released is a scaremongering MotherFr AND should be jailed.they are projections and Are without merit and cannot at this time be proved.
    Shame on you whoever you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Ireland is protecting the economy short term, and it will lead to it's complete breakdown long term. Makes no sense.

UK and many other countries appear to be carrying on as normal to . Cheltenham rugby football games all appear to be going ahead as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

You can rest easy. This is a storm in a teacup. As you see in Eire only 2 cases today. It’s already peaked.

I dont know whether you genuinely believe todays 2 cases will be the end of the story or not but look at every other eu country (a lot of which have far superior health care systems) and how they are fairing with this "storm in a teacup", we have done effectively nothing to stop the spread of this into the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement