Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Nonsense.

Would you put yourself on the front line when you are very much under-resourced, underpaid and generally f*cked over for your everyday work, not to mind when their is going to be carnage due to all the aforementioned factors?

And no I'm not a nurse nor do I have anything to do with the medical profession

Increments, broad public sector pay deals annually, new entrants deal and last year an additional deal for nurses over and above other Public Servants.

It's good to appreciate nurses but at some stage you recognise this is the job they are paid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Keeping romantic Italians 1 meter apart will be impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Amazing Germany 1k cases and 9 serious no deaths
    Italy 7k cases 650 serious 622 deaths.

What the hell is going on in Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

2 new cases in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 19,867 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

irishgeo wrote: »
    There is absolutely no proof of this. Italy made mistakes at the start.

What mistakes did Italy make that Ireland has cunningly avoided repeating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The Italian government should be shutting all airports in the region and closing the border to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Only the flu :rolleyes:

Yeah - it doesn't feel good to say "I told you so" about this :-/ But some people on the thread who have been attacking/insulting a few of us until very recently for saying this should be treated more seriously should reflect a bit before posting again, and consider being a bit humble about their posting history.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

****ing hell.

This is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

VinLieger wrote: »
    Italy and ourselves need to take a leaf out of South Koreas book

https://www.businessinsider.com/south-korea-coronavirus-testing-death-rate-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

Comparing Italy to South Korea in terms of deaths it looks like they should have 6 or 7 times as many infected than they are reportinv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Two new cases in Ireland today. One in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

boege wrote: »
    If you want to see potential situation in Ireland then look at the Netherlands.

On the 2nd March they had about the same number of cases as Ireland (18).

Five days later they are at 265 cases.

ALL OF THE EVIDENCE is that proactive controls will reduce infection rates.

Do we wait until we are at 265 cases, or do we shut down everything from tomorrow?

Evidence from flu transmission shows that schools play a strong part in infection transmission.

The containment protocol the HSE/Govt are following is untested at the scale of infection we are now seeing all over the world. Once the virus gets a foothold there are very few countries seeing small increases in numbers of cases, which is what the current Govt/HSE are hoping for.

Personal responsibility is also key. An expert interviewed on C4 earlier today suggested that nations need to go on a war footing as it needs the same type of mentality to prevent transmission. Suggest this clip is compulsory reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcJDpV-igjs

Unfortunately there are many that don't see much benefit shutting everything down until there's a couple of thousand cases. It's the other way around. Shutting everything down makes less impact when there's more cases.

While this is a problem shared with the rest of Europe (legally and practically) if Ireland could get rid of its outbreak we may point the way to containment being a viable strategy. That would require immediate action however.

That youtube link is malformed in your post by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

We the public have not seen either the HSE proposals or what exactly the union are objecting to.

So until then.:rolleyes:

Cancel annual leave & study leave are 2 of them anyways.
    the other is hiring more staff - but that aint gona happen as where are all these potential medical professionals going to come from?

But maybe take a leaf out of your own book on keeping stum until you see the proposals and what is being asked of people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Italy deaths are shocking.

Tbh, I have started to feel very anxious about this virus today.
    I am reasonably healthy (no conditions but could be fitter) as are my Husband and kids. My elderly Mum has an underlying health condition as does my younger sister who also has special needs. I worry for them. We live 3.5 hours apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

You do realise Italy have an average age of 15 years more than we do? All but 2 of the deaths today are older people.

What difference does it make. I care about old people too. It's an incredibly sad demise as they are probably isolated from their loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Italy quarantines 16 million people in the north of the land.

Meanwhile, 3 flights from northern Italian city Milan, due to land in Dublin this evening.

A tiny island- ideally placed to implement control measuresand its open for business to a corona virus hotspot.

Wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Does anyone think it would be good if EU stepped in with some sort of finance to help out EU countries going through this. We could be next too.

This lady is the EU Health Commissioner.

https://iegpolicy.agribusinessintelligence.informa.com/PL221446/Stella-Kyriakides-named-EU-Health-Commissioner

We (and I mean the whole world really) are in for a rough year economically. Was reading an article yesterday (can't recall where) which indicated fiscal stimulus will keep things chugging along in the short term for a month or two, but will put a massive strain on the global banking system as they've been trying to make the ultra low interest rate business environment work for a number of years with extremely mixed results.

Globalisation has caught the virus essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rocko

TAKEN From Elsewhere. It's not about me.

I live near Milano Italy, I feel well and until now I do not know Personally anyone
    who has caught this Covid.

I’m writing this because I think you all should know what is like living in this emergency,
    hoping that you will never be in a similar situation.

Hospitals here are more than full, you have to be in trouble with your lungs to get treatment.
    If you are over 69 years old you’ll be sent back, whatever the symptoms.

My friend’s sister works in a public child care studio, the health authority has closed it and added
    all the personnel to the intensive care staff, even if they are not properly trained.
    She says that what we, common people without medical knowledge, don’t understand is that this flu
    might not have a really tragic mortal rate, but is really dangerous for those few, old people or not, who develop a pneumonia.
    Those 10/15 who develops pneumonia out of 100 Covid affected, need intubation in intensive care for 3 Up to 6 weeks.

This is the real difference between an average flu virus and this Covid: if it affects your lungs only intensive care might save you, drugs alone might not be enough.

Some retirement houses refuse visits from relatives.
    Lots of Surgery schedules have been cancelled, only vital ones are performed.

Pubs, Discoteques, museums, cinemas, theatres, sport venues and activities are shut down.
    From today some supermarkets let in only small groups of clients to avoid overcrowding.

We have stopped to hug and kiss our friends and relatives when we meet, we Italian tend to hug&kiss a lot so it’s surreal.
    I have shaken hands with a friend yesterday, we stopped, looked at each other, went straight to the bathroom to wash our hands.

My mother has a cardiopathic disease, we talked an hour ago and decided that we will
    not see each other until the emergency is over, since me and my wife both work in Milano,
    met thousands of people and we really have a good chance to be affected.

Uh, long post, sorry. I hope I’ve not bored you too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

fits wrote: »
    I was mostly referring to your “ they are murderers for not telling me everything”.
    I said killers, and I stand by that description.

Without being informed of community transmission, people with symptoms wouldn't know to self-isolate. So they would infect other people. Some of the resulting infections would result in death.

So if that is what is happening, then the people responsible for withholding this information are killers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Only the flu :rolleyes:

Hopefully no more of them or the constant car accident posts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Look whatever you think, overworking healthcare professionals does not improve outcome goals.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=effect+on+health+care+24+hour+shifts&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3D7ov4WM9PDfUJ

Do you think it will be a choice to overwork them? They will be overworked surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

fits wrote: »
    The genetics clinic has the waiting list Rather than the lab. But all part of same service.

Yes backlogs for clinic appointments are likely very long due to consultant shortage/availability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

thomas 123 wrote: »
    They are banning strikes while corona virus is a thing (rte news)

Seems bang on to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

2 new cases ......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭fits

Both community transmission. Feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Community spreading.

Who could have seen that coming?

Bit of scandal with the Vietnam situation. One of the foreigners with it slept with a prostitute and she had to give up everyone she slept with. 12 in six days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Today's figures for Italy are crazy

• Advertisement

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    4.96% dead... F**k

We are about to see the real numbers when a healthcare system becomes overwhelmed

Gonna have to choose soon whether to have a 'Chinese' type solution to the crisis, and suspend individual rights for the greater good or carry on with a western model that doesn't seem to be working.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement