Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Our government still has time to take drastic action to avoid services being over run as appears to be happening in Italy .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Can you give any information on this? Like county perhaps?

They will be listed as south, thats all I feel comfortable saying

Do you think it will be a choice to overwork them? They will be overworked surely?

I don't have an issue with banning strikes of HSE frontline staff unless it's a cover by the government to then implement more draconian measures. It's better to be open and honest. If they expect HCPs to work significant more hours and cancel AL. They should be compensated for that or else you will see a LOT of people take sick leave. I don't think the majority of people see healthcare staff but in the example of a nurse. Looking after 6-8 patients on a 12 hour shift is incredibly draining. If you didn't get appropriate breaks, I could see how you could potentially go on sick leave.

Rocko wrote: »
    TAKEN From Elsewhere. It's not about me.

I live near Milano Italy, I feel well and until now I do not know Personally anyone
    who has caught this Covid.

I’m writing this because I think you all should know what is like living in this emergency,
    hoping that you will never be in a similar situation.

Hospitals here are more than full, you have to be in trouble with your lungs to get treatment.
    If you are over 69 years old you’ll be sent back, whatever the symptoms.

My friend’s sister works in a public child care studio, the health authority has closed it and added
    all the personnel to the intensive care staff, even if they are not properly trained.
    She says that what we, common people without medical knowledge, don’t understand is that this flu
    might not have a really tragic mortal rate, but is really dangerous for those few, old people or not, who develop a pneumonia.
    Those 10/15 who develops pneumonia out of 100 Covid affected, need intubation in intensive care for 3 Up to 6 weeks.

This is the real difference between an average flu virus and this Covid: if it affects your lungs only intensive care might save you, drugs alone might not be enough.

Some retirement houses refuse visits from relatives.
    Lots of Surgery schedules have been cancelled, only vital ones are performed.

Pubs, Discoteques, museums, cinemas, theatres, sport venues and activities are shut down.
    From today some supermarkets let in only small groups of clients to avoid overcrowding.

We have stopped to hug and kiss our friends and relatives when we meet, we Italian tend to hug&kiss a lot so it’s surreal.
    I have shaken hands with a friend yesterday, we stopped, looked at each other, went straight to the bathroom to wash our hands.

My mother has a cardiopathic disease, we talked an hour ago and decided that we will
    not see each other until the emergency is over, since me and my wife both work in Milano,
    met thousands of people and we really have a good chance to be affected.

Uh, long post, sorry. I hope I’ve not bored you too much.

A grim story & best of luck, but this bit is worth highlighting. Think it shows how massive behaviour modification is needed as a strategy here. Total waste of time for the healthcare professionals to keep talking about this unless we take the advice on board.

Where were the three cases in Drogheda? Oh yeah.... Rumours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Downlinz

There is near universal support for cancelling the St Patricks Day parades and banning flights from Italy, they aren't divisive issues at all. The only ones opposed are from business interest groups.

It really makes you wonder if this is a democracy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is sad but if the virus was deadlier for younger people the consequences for society would be far worse.

an unnecessary remark. very much so . the loss of any real humanity is the really worst consequence for any society. death of any groups is an equal tragedy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,950 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

faceman wrote: »
    Australia has more cases than Ireland including a few deaths but YMMV

Well no kidding. It's got close to four times the population and something like 8.2% of the residents of Sydney alone have Chinese ancestry, most of them being born there. Not to mention Australia hosts about a million Chinese students in it's universities. Consequently, Australia was well placed to get the virus directly from the source, early on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Where will you look for information?

A random number generator, perhaps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

The part that you are asking others to do something that you dont have to.

What are you doing to help in dealing with the crisis?

It's easy to throw around nonsense statements when you dont have to put yourself on the front line of these situations

I am not trained medical staff these people are.

We are in crisis like none the nation has ever faced the HSE management says this is required end of story.

We all only going in circles let's agree that we are not going to agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Am I the only one who thinks comparing us with Italy is completely ridiculous? Italy is the 5th oldest country in the world. 131 of the deaths today were over the age of 65. Ireland is the youngest in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Journalist on Virgin Media news ill-informed. The two new cases today are community based contact. This doesn't mean the authorities know where they got it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

darjeeling wrote: »
    Would you know what the limiting factors are? Do the swabs have to be handled at a particular containment level? Are there not enough real-time PCRs or technicians at the NVRL.
    In Belgium: There is a shortage of reagents for the tests https://www.rtbf.be/info/societe/detail_coronavirus-en-belgique-200-cas-detectes-au-total-la-circulation-du-virus-reste-limitee?id=10450793

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Downlinz wrote: »
    There is near universal support for cancelling the St Patricks Day parades and banning flights from Italy, they aren't divisive issues at all. The only ones opposed are from business interest groups.

Was there a vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Is there anywhere you can select a country, and see the daily new cases confirmed starting from their first case? Don't see such an option on Worldometer or John Hopkins...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Italian flights still incoming?

French and German flights for sure are still coming

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Am I the only one who thinks comparing us with Italy is completely ridiculous? Italy is the 5th oldest country in the world. 131 of the deaths today were over the age of 65. Ireland is the youngest in the EU.

You still not giving a source?
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    Your source being?

According to https://www.statista.com/

Ireland-Age-structure-2018-Statista-2020-03-08-17-42-12.png
    Italy-Age-distribution-2018-Statista-2020-03-08-17-41-47.png

I'd expect us to have a far bigger problem in 2 weeks if it's just age related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Heroditas wrote: »
    From a rugby forum. The guy who posted it is an Italian poster.

PR?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

The fact the public have been given no usefull information on the confirmed cases other than "in the west/in the east of the country" is negligence at best, what good is covering it all up going to do for anyone?

Anyway the horses have long ago bolted, and the powers that be are'nt even in the stables closing the doors they are still in bed having a nap for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 aloevera33

MCKG wrote: »
    Same here, case in the west confirmed Friday has not been announced. There are more cases that we haven’t been told about!

Where are you getting this information that there is confirmed case in west

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

This is a crisis what part of that are you not understanding?

It's not yet, but it may become one. Let people take annual leave now while they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,950 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

cnocbui wrote: »
    Italy is us in 3 weeks.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Thats us in 2 weeks

Bright minds, think alike, they say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Some interesting articles on the British Medical Journal this week. One report shows that the U.K. expects to see 50% of its cases within the next 3 weeks and 90% within 9 weeks.

https://www.bmj.com/content/368/bmj.m918

There’s also a report showing how the U.K. government botched communication efforts by excluding some media outlets following the GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

65 is not that old if you think about it, We sure have thousands of over 65 here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Does anyone else just not trust the government to act in our best interests?

I want to believe the HSE is doing the right thing...whatever that is...but I dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Downlinz wrote: »

Democracy is two wolfs and a chicken voting on whats for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'm confused, do you know something they don't?

Well I'm fairly certain that they know it too just aren't saying. Hence my now absolute lack of trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

2 cases. 2 ****en cases and all this panic. I'm having another pint ye crazy bastards in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement