Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

cnocbui wrote: »
    Italy is us in 3 weeks.

Nonsense. The HSE wont dare confirm anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Did we get the UKs numbers today yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭fits

??? waiting list for what sorry?

I know we send samples to them routinely and get results back in about 3 to 6 weeks depending on the test.

The genetics clinic has the waiting list Rather than the lab. But all part of same service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

They have quite an old populaton.

So does South Korea, but the virulence and death rate in Italy appears much much worse there.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Pension is also important. But there will be no strike. Work only. The virus is coming. Be prepared

What has the pension got to do with COVID-19?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭irishgeo

cnocbui wrote: »
    Italy is us in 3 weeks.

There is absolutely no proof of this. Italy made mistakes at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

TTLF wrote: »

Sky News saying 67 more today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

They aren't going to go on strike. You know this! The vast majority of people who work in the HSE could earn a lot more by working in the private sector. But they don't as they find caring for caring for our most vulnerable a lot more fulfilling. To a fault, the majority of HCPs are too nice for their own good. Do you see what a nurse earns for all the **** they have to deal with?

Look I don't care what you think of me and I don't care what you or your union thinks.

Just do your job if you don't like it get another and stop crying.

Industrial action relies on public support pull this crap right now and see how much support the public gives.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yurt! wrote: »
    WTF is going on in Italy, was it crop sprayed with the virus from above or something?

Has anybody a credible theory on this?

A lot of people are confident this will not be as bad here for some reason, maybe they could explain that to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

bakerlite wrote: »
    Good question.. the prudent thing would be to stay away from such largely populated areas with people from all over the country and world, I haven't decided myself yet. Was hoping for direction from the institution but with no update it looks like at minimum they'll be running next week as normal.
    Strange and unknown terriortary for all....

Yeah it is unfortunate that the state is not taking a stronger stance on this right away. Quick and decisive action is what is needed. There is a lot of confusion about what the right thing to do is now and as a result we have different policies for different companies/organisations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

TTLF wrote: »

64 new cases. No additional deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Milan is the clothing industry. Many workers there from the major clothing manu location in China, Wuhan.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

What has the pension got to do with COVID-19?

The disease primarily affects the elderly, who avail of pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

irishgeo wrote: »
    There is absolutely no proof of this. Italy made mistakes at the start.

Its an April fools joke

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Drumpot wrote: »

A lot of people are confident this will not be as bad here for some reason, maybe they could explain that to us?

Italy’s population is considerably older than average. Italy’s median age is close to 50, while Irelands is ~35.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Are most people planning to go to their place of work / study tomorrow, or to do the sensible thing and stay at home ?

I'll go on campus. Will be mainly at my desk in a room sharing with 9 other and in a small kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Are most people planning to go to their place of work / study tomorrow, or to do the sensible thing and stay at home ?

I'll go on campus. Will be mainly at my desk in a room sharing with 9 other and in a small kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Italy has been transparent and didn't resort to plausible deniability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I think you might be mistaking scepticism of doomsday scenarios with confidence that the opposite will happen.

We just don't know but there are a few slivers of hope that we won't be as bad as Italy:

Younger population
    Less urbanised & lower population density
    No major economic connection with Wuhan like Milan
    Didn't have some fella wandering around the whole country infecting everyone for a week

DOCARCH wrote: »
    64 new cases. No additional deaths.

How many are they testing daily?

I find it frustrating that there appears to be no credible source where you can see test to positive rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Been told bad news in CUH today. Fingers crossed it's rubbish and nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

spookwoman wrote: »

I am in two minds about this.

One the one hand of course unions causing friction in such situation looks very bad. But on the other hand I do feel frontline staff has been treaded very poorly for years, and it is not surprising for them to have a limited amount of good will to offer.

I have worked a few years in a semi state organisation and the tendency of management there to ignore all issues and wait for them to magically dissappear is very high (even when the issues are obvious and black and white). And then of course all the crap which builds-up for years or months tends to surfaces again in crisis situations, and they act surprised. Significantly worst there than in large private organisations I worked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

175 healthcare staff from two hospitals are now in self-isolation.

The head of the HSE said that the Covid-19 is having a very significant impact, but he said the safety of health care workers, staff and patients is "at the top of everything we do".

Paul Reid said that 100 healthcare workers from Cork University Hospital and a further 75 staff from University Hospital Limerick are involved.

He said the HSE is "taking the appropriate actions that are clinically advised in terms of how and when we can return staff to work quicker and equally how we can regularly medically assess staff in our hospitals".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

fits wrote: »
    Oh COME ON. This is ridiculous rubbish.
    Irish Times article on Friday said "a significant number" of new cases were going to be announced. It was quickly edited.
    Two credible posters independently mentioned there were a number of new cases in UHL on Friday that were not included in the report.
    The head of UHL today says our trajectory is following Italy's. Then he deletes his Twitter account.

Remember this when a significant number of new cases in Limerick are eventually reported within the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yurt! wrote: »
    WTF is going on in Italy, was it crop sprayed with the virus from above or something?

Did any of those mad Koreans take a trip to spread the love deliberately?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Is it from someone on the inside?

I think you might be mistaking scepticism of doomsday scenarios with confidence that the opposite will happen.

We just don't know but there are a few slivers of hope that we won't be as bad as Italy:

Younger population
    Less urbanised
    No major economic connection with Wuhan like Milan
    Didn't have some fella wandering around the whole country infecting everyone for a week

Didn’t we Literally have a doctor wandering around for 10 days potentially infecting huge numbers?:confused:

We may not have a direct connection with Wuhan but we still have a huge connection with arguably the biggest threat outside of China since Wuhan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

fits wrote: »
    Whats the alternative?

To doing what the organisation who spread this ****ing thing in Cork and Clare, tell us to do?

Listen to actual experts as opposed to time serving gob****es

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hopefully the bees gets posted here, it will therefore be rubbish and nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Both France (1,126) and Germany above 1,000 cases now.

Feels like Egypt has another brewing head in sand development. Tourism minister saying all is well while people are starting to die. Similar to Iran.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/mar/08/coronavirus-live-updates-third-death-in-australia-as-cases-reach-more-than-70

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement