Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,012 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

pjohnson wrote: »
    Strange how F1 is gaining in popularity.

Nowadays the vast majority watch sports and tv shows that are paywalled/subscription based for free. New fans can easily watch races, easier than bothering with subscriptions.

is F1 gaining in popularity in countries where the races are behind a pay wall? The UK for example or Ireland specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Inviere

GarIT wrote: »
    I can't afford to pay for a daily newspaper either.

Even at that, it's like buying a newspaper every single day of the year, and only reading 21 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

If someone wanted to watch a major heavyweight fight they pay for it or stream it illegally with a poor connection or watch a crappy version on YouTube the following day.

Options are there for people to cheap to buy it. Use them or pay the money. It is what it is and isn’t going to change any time soon.

What was once a free to view sport is not anymore. That’s capitalism for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

If someone wanted to watch a major heavyweight fight they pay for it or stream it illegally with a poor connection or watch a crappy version on YouTube the following day.

Options are there for people to cheap to buy it. Use them or pay the money. It is what it is and isn’t going to change any time soon.

I stream it in full HD at a higher bitrate than a Sky HD box can deliver. Not sure about Sky Q.
    The only think I miss is being able to pause it, that works sometimes but it's not always consistent.

Liberty have said they wanted to make it FTA worldwide but existing agreements prevented that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

We keep a sky package regardless of whether we want f1 or not because it just works better than free tv options plus I watch lots of motoring shows and other stuff on discovery channels.
    On top of that, f1 costs us €7.50 or so per month. Bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,925 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Maybe you need to see cheaper alternatives, some are almost as good as sky, there's no need for those sky prices.

Capatalism has been around a lot longer than sky, we ve just entered a potentially dangerous phase of it, whereby monoplies try to extract more wealth by rent seeking activities, as companies such as sky are doing, there's really no need for it, potentially very dangerous also

You've the choice to watch that fight though, or this fight, or any fight. You don't have to drop over €700 a year on a forced subscription to watch 21 fights.

If I could give Virgin Media €10 a month to access Sky F1, I'd give it in a heartbeat. As it stands, I can't, & I'd have to subscribe to Sky giving them the aforementioned €700 a year to watch it. It just doesn't make sense for me, because I only want F1 and nothing else Sky offers. It's quite anti-consumer how they've tied it up like this, not even offering third party access through VM, Eir, etc. So no, I can't support that.

And for the third time, nobody is asking for it to be free. Sure, that'd be great, but a small fee to access a single channel wouldn't be a deal breaker. An almost four digit annual fee for a single channel 8 months of the year? Yeah, I'll happily stick with alternative methods.

Liberty have said they wanted to make it FTA worldwide but existing agreements prevented that.

I'd actually prefer F1 not to go back FTA as mad as that sounds. It just reeks of advertising breaks, and F1 really doesn't handle advertising breaks well at all. A small premium to keep the race coverage ad-free is something I'd prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I stream it in full HD at a higher bitrate than a Sky HD box can deliver. Not sure about Sky Q.
    The only think I miss is being able to pause it, that works sometimes but it's not always consistent.

That last line is just fundamentally wrong, if Liberty wanted to make it available FTA there would be no such thing as F1TV. They wanted to roll out F1TV worldwide but existing agreements mean they can't.

skipper_G wrote: »
    That last line is just fundamentally wrong, if Liberty wanted to make it available FTA there would be no such thing as F1TV. They wanted to roll out F1TV worldwide but existing agreements mean they can't.

I can only quote what they have said. Their actions may not line up with their words. F1 TV is compatible with it also being free to air, ad supported. If I'm recalling correctly it is currently free to air in the US with no interruptions just a sponsored by Mother's oils logo in the corner for the whole race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

We'll have to wait until 2024 to see how things shake out. I'm thinking the big emphasis will be on making a good quality programme on a dedicated F1 channel owned by liberty, so that they can sell it on on every platform.

I'm not sure what liberty's plans are but they're in this to make money, and to do that they need viewers. So perhaps they'll not focus on European viewers for a few years until the end of the sky contract.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I actually have an IPTV service that costs me €60 a year. I literally only use it for F1 (and the odd match). Im not "too cheap to buy it". F1 is too expensive to buy it. There is a fundamental difference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

antodeco wrote: »
    I actually have an IPTV service that costs me €60 a year. I literally only use it for F1 (and the odd match). Im not "too cheap to buy it". F1 is too expensive to buy it. There is a fundamental difference

We’ll agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have been watching F1 on TV for up to 2 decades. If people back then would have said to you that you would need to pay to watch every race via a paywall. You would have been classed as a spoofer. Sky's subscription prices for these F1 GP's at the moment are eye-watering for a casual consumer living here in Ireland. Lewis Hamilton even said last year that he did not like the fact that all of the races apart from the British GP shown on a paywall in the UK.

I think when the Sky deal ends in the UK in 2024. The amount of price increases required from Sky to all of the F1 fans in Ireland & the UK would go into an unpalatable territory for a lot of them. If people are not watching enough of the other sports just to pay & see F1. They will be more likely to try other legal alternatives for viewing the GP's in future. There has to be a point in time where any of the F1 fans don't get accustomed with too much subscription fatigue to watch their favourite sports among with the other optional streaming services they like to use in their spare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,012 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I have been watching F1 on TV for up to 2 decades. If people back then would have said to you that you would need to pay to watch every race via a paywall. You would have been classed as a spoofer.

I got into it in my first year in secondary school. All the lads were talking about it on Monday mornings and I got into it because it was on rte for free.

Now the lads wouldn't have been talking about it because they couldn't see it for free and I wouldn't have gotten into it either because they wouldn't have been talking about it.

The pay wall is an admission that they're not really interested in new fans and they prefer to milk the fans they already have instead.

I have been watching F1 on TV for up to 2 decades. If people back then would have said to you that you would need to pay to watch every race via a paywall. You would have been classed as a spoofer. Sky's subscription prices for these F1 GP's at the moment are eye-watering for a casual consumer living here in Ireland. Lewis Hamilton even said last year that he did not like the fact that all of the races apart from the British GP shown on a paywall in the UK.

I think when the Sky deal ends in the UK in 2024. The amount of price increases required from Sky to all of the F1 fans in Ireland & the UK would go into an unpalatable territory for a lot of them. If people are not watching enough of the other sports just to pay & see F1. They will be more likely to try other legal alternatives for viewing the GP's in future. There has to be a point in time where any of the F1 fans don't get accustomed with too much subscription fatigue to watch their favourite sports among with the other optional streaming services they like to use in their spare time.

No new deal will be signed that doesn't allow for F1 TV at least, so Sky will have one reasonably priced competitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭limerickpat

No new deal will be signed that doesn't allow for F1 TV at least, so Sky will have one reasonably priced competitor.

Thats going to be really good news. MotoGP fans here can subscribe to video pass to avoid the new sky sports extra pack which I presume is very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

load of italian provinces have just gone into lockdown including modena

Grim. wrote: »
    load of italian provinces have just gone into lockdown including modena

That's not going to please the Aussies who want the Italian teams to go through a 14 day quarantine with less than 14 days to the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Options are there for people to cheap to buy it.
    Get off your high horse there fella! :rolleyes:

I can afford it, but considering our tv might get turned on maybe twice a week, I'll be f**ked if I'm giving Sky over 700 a year for minimal viewing. Many others have mentioned (and you conveniently keep ignoring) that they're not necessarily looking for it for free, but for a reasonable cost. The value for money just isn't there for an awful lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

That's not going to please the Aussies who want the Italian teams to go through a 14 day quarantine with less than 14 days to the race.

It states people are allowed to leave for important business reasons, so there seems to be a way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

Harika wrote: »

Won't be able to tell the difference at that track. The vast majority of it has no spectator viewing areas anyway.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

We’ll agree to disagree.

To which part? That I'm too cheap to buy it or that F1 is too expensive to watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Top Dog wrote: »
    Get off your high horse there fella! :rolleyes:

I can afford it, but considering our tv might get turned on maybe twice a week, I'll be f**ked if I'm giving Sky over 700 a year for minimal viewing. Many others have mentioned (and you conveniently keep ignoring) that they're not necessarily looking for it for free, but for a reasonable cost. The value for money just isn't there for an awful lot of people.

I've watched every race the last few years through now tv and I certainly didn't pay €700 for it. Probably closer to €200 as I only renewed each time there was an offer and if you time the dates correctly e.g. letting it lapse at the summer break, they give you a new discounted offer to get you back in. Works out at about €10 per race for all the weekends content, very happy to pay that.

Killinator wrote: »
    Won't be able to tell the difference at that track. The vast majority of it has no spectator viewing areas anyway.

What will Brundle do on the grid? Have a tea and biscuit :confused:

I've watched every race the last few years through now tv and I certainly didn't pay €700 for it. Probably closer to €200 as I only renewed each time there was an offer and if you time the dates correctly e.g. letting it lapse at the summer break, they give you a new discounted offer to get you back in. Works out at about €10 per race for all the weekends content, very happy to pay that.

€10 isn't bad for a race weekend to be fair. I suppose the proviso is that Now TV have to run an offer though, and you time it a certain way. But yeah, that's a decent alternative. What's the video feed like, is it 1080/60?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Just watched E4 of season 2 Drive to Survive, the German GP. Anyone know who the reporter is at the end of the race who asked Toto the sh*tty question? Toto mentioned The Sun.

Harika wrote: »
    It states people are allowed to leave for important business reasons, so there seems to be a way?

Leaving is part 1, the Australians don't want to let them in is part 2. At this stage it appears it will likely go ahead fine but there is a slight wobble to it going smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

eljono wrote: »
    Just watched E4 of season 2 Drive to Survive, the German GP. Anyone know who the reporter is at the end of the race who asked Toto the sh*tty question? Toto mentioned The Sun.

He was definitely from The Sun, but I didn't catch his name. Pure tabloid journo at work

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement