Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

https://imgur.com/a/ZJ0wXOj

Which one???:D Doxa ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This one for 200 quid looks like a nice buy IMHO.

smOKGgt.jpg

The white dialled Doxa has the wrong hands. How much is the Roamer? Can't see a price.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh sorry, I see the piece of paper with the 1/2/3/4 prices in euro. Yeah I'd be looking at the number 2 at 196 quid. Nice watch and bloody unusual. The Roamer is nice and larger too, but not at 600 quid. 500 maybe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

In Taxi:D Thanks Wibbs:)

SUFuoFV.jpg

Prague Trip
    https://imgur.com/a/t0q3Nmd

Just some of the pictures, will post more later.

Sweet! :) Looks to be larger than I thought too. The huge feck off crown makes it and because it's not the 40mm + ones wearable too. Nice bit of history there IP. 80-90 year old pilots wristwatch from the glory days of early aviation. For the price of a Kildare village fashion watch. Can not go wrong IMHO. Leather nato thrown in too. Well wear. :) I'm actually wearing my example today. T'was fate. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭RMDrive

In Taxi:D Thanks Wibbs:)

Prague Trip
    https://imgur.com/a/t0q3Nmd

Delighted for you.

And completely jealous.

You feckin better boyo...

504841.jpg

:D

IMHO You got a bargain there IP. Slap it on the 'bay for 400 quid and you'd get bites. It looks in great nick, all original; hands, crown, dial, other than the crystal which would have been glass originally, but you could change that, though I'd not bother my arse. Looks well cool. Very steampunk and defo a conversation point. Of the watches I've had there are two that are sure to get a reaction from normal people, and my 30's pilots is one. Liking the Seiko by the by.

many years back someone on here found that on some other site and sent me the link. Mad or wha? There's another megalomaniacal knowitall prick with delusions of adequacy with the same handle as me somewhere out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I was in the company of a man last night wearing a gold and steel 41mm Datejust with Diamond dials and a champagne face. While it looked amazing, I couldn't help but think it looked gaudy. There was another guy wearing a speedie chrono and it was nice to see the watches being worn as intended, I couldn't help but think there is something much nicer about the more subtle look and understated elegance of an Omega vs a Rolex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I was in the company of a man last night wearing a gold and steel 41mm Datejust with Diamond dials and a champagne face. While it looked amazing, I couldn't help but think it looked gaudy. There was another guy wearing a speedie chrono and it was nice to see the watches being worn as intended, I couldn't help but think there is something much nicer about the more subtle look and understated elegance of an Omega vs a Rolex.

Two tone DJ with diamonds and gold dial....about the most flashy a Rolex can get, still some flashy Omegas too, I dont think its an Omega versus Rolex thing, its a tasteful versus understated thing....

Some people like bling and fair enough. I never liked diamonds as a gemstone. Always thought of them as a "soulless" for some reason? Much prefer rubies. I wouldn't wear them either though. :D

• Advertisement

I dont think its an Omega versus Rolex thing, its a tasteful versus understated thing....
    Exactly. Pretty much every brand has their pimped out models, because they sell. Patek's catalogue is chock full of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Do you mean that they were actually being worn?

If not I'm more interested to know what event you were at that needed a Speedie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Zagato wrote: »

If not I'm more interested to know what event you were at that needed a Speedie?

I was at a business meeting recently where a guy was timing it for billing purposes, I presume, with a fairly classic looking Speedie Moon watch on a vintage brown leather strap.

At the end of the meeting, he nodded discretely to me and said "Nice watch".

I was wearing my Alpha M1957.

It may have been presumptuous, but I didn't have the heart to say, it's not what you think it is, mate. Or maybe he did, I don't know.

My boss has what looks like a decades old two tone, dark-faced DateJust. 36mm, on a full bracelet. He's a decent fella, and not very blingy generally, as he happily wears a quartz low profile Citizen too.

But the Rolex just looks awful.

Its this very interaction that has me gone off homages. Cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Add me to the "diamonds look terrible on a watch" crew. I'm not a fan of yellow gold metal straps either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Zagato wrote: »

It was the afters of a golf tournament. I mean people had them on their wrists and being worn as watches should be, not hidden in a box at home.

Its this very interaction that has me gone off homages. Cringe

That's exactly why I like them.

:)

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    That's exactly why I like them.

:)

Why?

Why?

I get a giggle out of someone mistaking my €180 Alpha for a €3000 Omega.

I get a giggle out of someone mistaking my €180 Alpha for a €3000 Omega.

Nobody is mistaking your Alpha for a speed-master (anyone that would know what a speed-master is anyway) ...a person that spends 3k on a self winding mechanical moonwatch (a super impractical and fairly collector type watch) knows their watches, to think otherwise is hubris on your part. Consider that and run the interaction in your head again.....

• Advertisement

a person that spends 3k on a self winding mechanical moonwatch (a super impractical and fairly collector type watch) knows their watches, to think otherwise is hubris on your part.
    While I take your point I'd not be nearly sure on this part. I've seen a few Speedies in my time in the wild and most wearers would have been not particularly watch savvy. The Speedmaster is a "common" enough watch to know and buy for those who want to buy a "good watch". For good reasons. If a non watch person asks me what watch to buy of that type I always say either a steel sports Rolex, or a Speedy if you want extra buttons. :) They're classics for a reason.

Wibbs wrote: »
    While I take your point I'd not be nearly sure on this part. I've seen a few Speedies in my time in the wild and most wearers would have been not particularly watch savvy. The Speedmaster is a "common" enough watch to know and buy for those who want to buy a "good watch". For good reasons. If a non watch person asks me what watch to buy of that type I always say either a steel sports Rolex, or a Speedy if you want extra buttons. :) They're classics for a reason.

I agree Wibbs, but if Lorddrakul spotted the other guys speedmaster, lets assume the other guy spotted Lorddrakul replica, homage (here is a link to it, you dont need a loupe to tell its not kosher) If he wouldnt notice, then he wouldnt be bothered commenting.

This is the homage owners plight...the last person you every want to meet is a person wearing the watch your homages is made to look like, and they are the only person that will even notice your watch in the first place. And if you have the proper watch and complement a homage by accident, you will feel embarrassed that your shaming the owner with your longer watch penis...catch 22 nobody wins..cringe all round.

Had this conversation with a work collegue. I got a Seiko 5 one of the new ones for about 120 euro. He is a big watch guy himself and he said something very true. He said he like the seiko because its has its own identity, its not trying to be something its not, its unpretentious. And at the end of the day, you have to agree that every homage is by definition pretentious and thats not a good trait.

I am in a contrarian mood today beware. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Nobody is mistaking your Alpha for a speed-master (anyone that would know what a speed-master is anyway) ...a person that spends 3k on a self winding mechanical moonwatch (a super impractical and fairly collector type watch) knows their watches, to think otherwise is hubris on your part. Consider that and run the interaction in your head again.....

Good job you are around to set everybody straight on everything watch related based upon a few posts on a thread on the internet.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I agree Wibbs, but if Lorddrakul spotted the other guys speedmaster, lets assume the other guy spotted Lorddrakul replica, homage (here is a link to it, you dont need a loupe to tell its not kosher) If he wouldnt notice, then he wouldnt be bothered commenting.

This is the homage owners plight...the last person you every want to meet is a person wearing the watch your homages is made to look like, and they are the only person that will even notice your watch in the first place. And if you have the proper watch and complement a homage by accident, you will feel embarrassed that your shaming the owner with your longer watch penis...catch 22 nobody wins..cringe all round.

Had this conversation with a work colleague. I got a Seiko 5 one of the new ones for about 120 euro. He is a big watch guy himself and he said something very true. He said he like the Seiko because its has its own identity, its not trying to be something its not, its unpretentious. And at the end of the day, you have to agree that every homage is by definition pretentious and that's not a good trait.

While I see both points of view, and appreciate both, to a certain extent, my point is that my sense of self worth is not bound up with an instrument to tell the time on my wrist.

I don't play watch top trumps. I don't play watch penis games either.

I don't give a flying fupp why someone has what they have on their wrist, or anywhere else.

I simply like to giggle at the fact that this person in particular is a cock — in every sense of the word. He was timing the meeting to bill, almost extravagantly to make people sure that his time to was too valuable to waste.

Perhaps he thought, by what he thought was my watch, that I too was as narcisisstic and self involved as he was. Or maybe he just thought I had a cool watch. I don't care either way.

Irrespective of the watch he wore, he is a dick. Had he taken out a chess timer and started it at the table, he could not have made a more insulting gesture to the people at the table. Only I noticed the instrument on which he made his faux pas.

A dick is a dick — even one with a Speedmaster.

While I see both points of view, and appreciate both, to a certain extent, my point is that my sense of self worth is not bound up with an instrument to tell the time on my wrist.

I don't play watch top trumps. I don't play watch penis games either.

I don't give a flying fupp why someone has what they have on their wrist, or anywhere else.

Yet it was noteworthy enough to tell us all here, and previously post pictures of your watches (which I do myself but I am under no illusions as to my motivations for doing that),. Also your have glee at thinking you got one up on this chap whom you didnt like, by making him believe you do care about watches as status items and are willing to invest in them.This is in itself proof you you do consider them status items, or it would have no joy for you....at the end of the day he is the one with the nice watch and billable time....you cannot both care and not care at the same time, and people often fall back on the "watch snob" defense when they are backed into a corner. But his watch told you something about him, and your watch told him something about you. Dont care?....dont wear a watch they are just man jewelry.

funkyouup wrote: »
    Good job you are around to set everybody straight on everything watch related based upon a few posts on a thread on the internet.

??? Dont know what that is about ???
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    You would be surprised how many people are rocking a speedy and haven’t a clue about watches, every watch guru on YouTube tells people to buy them

At least they value watches, you dont accidentally buy one, and it indicates some level of research. I am not suggesting this chap had the knowledge of Wiibbs on watch matters but the story as told your suggest he appreciated a quality timepiece, and was willing to either complement or patronise others on their choice based on how you choose to view it People lie to themselves so much when it come to watch collecting, I find it bizarre the cognitive dissonance people have in the hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

??? Dont know what that is about ???

I thought it was pretty self explanatory, i assumed you understood it too seen as you expressed your love for me before editing the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The anger is strong in here today :)

I'm not left buy anymore watches :( it's strictly 1 in and 1 out from now on or my Mrs may kill me :P

So...
    Being the big child I am!
    I think I may have found a new display stand for my watches :pac:

A watch on each finger!

11699685-6424578110913006.jpg

funkyouup wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty self explanatory, i assumed you understood it too seen as you expressed your love for me before editing the post.

How very very strange...I edited my post to give you the benefit of the doubt as I was inferring tone that maybe wasn't intended but it seems my first thought were right....good man.

Omegagene I think you are right...

Had this conversation with a work collegue. I got a Seiko 5 one of the new ones for about 120 euro. He is a big watch guy himself and he said something very true. He said he like the seiko because its has its own identity, its not trying to be something its not, its unpretentious. And at the end of the day, you have to agree that every homage is by definition pretentious and thats not a good trait.

:D I dunno FG, to be fair I kinda come at it from a different more oddball angle; the story behind the watch and the wearer. Just before Christmas I was with a client, a chap in his 70's, and he asked me about my "trench" watch I was wearing. He told me that it stood out for him because he clearly remembered his grandfather with the same kind of watch and it triggered a load of memories. He was wearing his dad's Rotary dress watch. 50's I'd guess and the first Rotary I'd ever seen with a solid gold case. Very elegant layout too. He went on to tell me about his Da and the story behind the watch involving his Ma. :)

Rare occasions, but I've a few similar stories over the years. Including a lad with a Fossil his then girlfriend and now wife had bought him and the truly mad story behind what happened afterward. Or the chap with the SS Datejust, who had treated himself after a big work thing, who had once successfully convinced a mugger not to steal it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭893bet

I have just spent the last hour drooling over the below......

https://www.alange-soehne.com/en/timepieces/saxonia-automatic/380028-white-gold-blue-dial

https://youtu.be/usy_x6p7KBw

[IMG][/img]68-B9-FA2-B-540-B-4-E02-B208-3-D47376-D5-B3-A.jpgimageupload

Do I need another blue dial watch.....there is the 380.026 which if basically the same watch with silver dial.....

Or then a third option of the ultra minimalist Saxonia thin......2 hander.....would miss the second hand I think.....

[IMG][/img]0-F99-B29-A-5-B04-4-F69-808-C-9-BE409-BF049-E.jpg

Advertisement