Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

oxocube wrote: »
    From this thread. Really good advice when buying a watch online.

A legitimate seller should not hesitate to provide any or all of the following information:

One or more social media profiles

Phone number

Full name and address

Pictures of the watch next to a note with your name and today's date

Live video chat to check out the watch

A selfie in front of their house/building which matches the pictures for their address on Google maps

References from other people they have traded with

Use an escrow service (at the buyer's expense, or split the cost)

Another note on the name and date beside the watch - The scammer in question on this used Photoshop to do this. It definitely looks poor/fake under any examination, but I use Photoshop day in and day out, and if I only saw the image briefly on my phone screen I'm sure I would have given it the benefit of the doubt.

Edit: I love how this thread started out as general chat, but now we're literally using it to watch the watchmen..

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Any other oddballs like me out there? Right handed but always wear my watches on my right hand? Just doesn't feel right otherwise. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

RMDrive wrote: »
    Any other oddballs like me out there? Right handed but always wear my watches on my right hand? Just doesn't feel right otherwise. :p

Right handed, watch on left wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

RMDrive wrote: »

I always wear my watches on my right arm but i'm cross dominant rather than right or left handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Guilty as charged!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Left handed and left wrist, can't get used to one on my right but would prefer to wear it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Time wrote: »
    I always wear my watches on my right arm but i'm cross dominant rather than right or left handed.
    is that some sort of BDSM stuff? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

eljono wrote: »
    Wow, that's scary

And so exasperating that instead of taking their pretty good manufacturing skills and technique and trying to compete with their own brand they instead use it to make the "quick bucks" and go down the fake route - thereby trashing the reputation of legitimate Chinese watch manufacturers.

Potential for so much more lost on short term gains (not a capitalistic problem confined solely to Chinese factories of course).

Actually - one of the factories I contacted re Solas at the beginning came back with their sample cases - which had Rolex/Omega etc. branding on them - suffice it to say there was no additional contact from my end :mad: :(

...but I can understand their temptation too - "I can make X for (say) 60 euro and sell for 430 as a rolex (definitely) or 130 own brand (which still might not sell)" - I can understand why some would choose the illegal route - but absolutely do not condone it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

So my quest to bring sense to adverts continues. Saw this black bay harrods edition. A nice watch, that was produced solely to cash in on the crazy in rolex speculation. They had a RRP of 2600 sterling (3100 euro). I do however like them.

Here it is on adverts

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/tudor-black-bay-harrods/19399282#comment_124247730

Asked the seller would he discuss price off his 5000 euro asking. Now average price on chrono is around 4500 euro for an unworn one from private and 4700 from a dealer, take off the chrono tax and there is about 4100k value here maybe 4200 euro.

Seller unwilling to enter into any negotiation, any conversation in private. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,765 ✭✭✭893bet

These change hands for around 3200-3500 sterling on TZ. 4200 euro seems about right.

Most on adverts far over value their watches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

2shea wrote: »
    is that some sort of BDSM stuff? :P

Lol, no its like ambidexterity except i can't use both hands perfectly, so i use a mix of left and right depending on what i'm doing. For some things i have full ambidexterity though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058042608&page=2

The kind of poster who can tarnish an enthusiasts image :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Whoever that was, very negative attitude. I have a Pebble Steel smart(ish) watch as well as analogue watches and have no issue with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So much for the boards mantra of don't be a dick!

I had a zetime that has since passed to another member here.
    A Sony smart watch for a couple of years, and even now my HkEd bund is on my wrist with a mi-band.

The analogue for cool time telling :P
    And the mi-band for fitness tracking and notifications.

Dictating what to buy, and pontificating on a thread where the OP has said they want a smart watch is just dick behaviour.

Ah bless that chap is on the journey of the watch collector and has reached the "Urban Gentry" phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Lads not watch related but some of the same principals apply, what would you do if you were scammed on adverts?

i have used it for years, back to the pre adverts boards market place days and always had a decent experience.

Saw this and mrs cyrus is looking for an upgrade, seller had decent feedback:

https://www.adverts.ie/other-mobiles/huawei-p30-pro/19844142

Transferred him the 350 quid, he said he had sent the phone and would send me the tracking no later on, sent another message apologising that he had left the receipt in his jacket and that he would get back to me with it, that was last wednesday, since then no phone and no pms.

what would you do? i have his name and bank account details.

Might just be a delay, seem to be tardy with replies, but 5 bad feedbacks would have me worried. Give it a few days

Might just be a delay, seem to be tardy with replies, but 5 bad feedbacks would have me worried. Give it a few days

one of them is from me and the other 4 were from people saying he wasted their time rather than anything more sinister which can happen but still.

Too early to assume that you were scammed.

Adverts is full of low-quality buyers and sellers. Low-quality as opposed to dishonest (although there are plenty of those too!).

By low-quality I mean the type who forgets to show up to a meet, doesn't reply to messages, doesn't package items well, doesn't describe items accurately etc. You have to read their garbled messages two or three times to understand what they're saying. But, in the end the transaction gets done. Any grief they cause is due to incompetence rather than malice.

My initial assumption is that your seller is one of these. That's the vibe I get. I'd give it a few more days. Most likely he forgot to post the item on Wednesday and simply lied about it, then posted the following day. Or cheaped out on untracked postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

OmegaGene wrote: »
    even if they posted the phone on friday and it would have arrived today

They have been around a while and have a fair bit of positive feedback. Also suggested collection so i wouldn't assume the worst just yet. Still if i was a buyer I'd be concerned. Did you get his phone number? usually i text or talk to people or whatsapp etc just so you at least have talked to them. No guarantee of anything but helps. Generally if they are not online they will get whatsapp messages etc..

Where are you based buyer?

• Advertisement

They have been around a while and have a fair bit of positive feedback. Also suggested collection so i wouldn't assume the worst just yet. Still if i was a buyer I'd be concerned. Did you get his phone number? usually i text or talk to people or whatsapp etc just so you at least have talked to them. No guarantee of anything but helps. Generally if they are not online they will get whatsapp messages etc..

Where are you based buyer?

no never got a phone no:rolleyes:

im in dublin, southside

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

Cyrus wrote: »
    no never got a phone no:rolleyes:

im in dublin, southside

Hmmm spilled milk and all that but I'd always collect in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Yeah I always ring and exhange phone numbers with sellers/buyers - if people don't want to do that then alarm bells ring.

Now I'm sure there are eloquent and conscientious scammers out there but at least by doing the ohone number exchange you've potentially filtered out a few more "lazy" scammers.

Hmmm spilled milk and all that but I'd always collect in Dublin...

i never collect if i can avoid it, i generally dont have the time but yeah lesson learned

even if they posted the phone on friday and it would have arrived today
    I've sent many an item domestically on Friday which did not arrive on Monday. I've been on the other side of the fence with people asking why an item hasn't arrived yet. AnPost are not great at the best of times.

The money is gone and at this point it's not really a time-sensitive issue. By that I mean it's not like you'll get your money back if you run to the guards today and you won't if you leave it til tomorrow. With that in mind I don't see any harm in giving it a few days. Jumping straight onto adverts to call him a scammer is not how I would have approached it.

A few days ? The buyer paid on Wednesday it’s ample time to at least be given a tracking number or some details about when it was posted
    I don't disagree. I'm not defending the seller or saying this is a good situation.

I'm just saying there's enough wallies on adverts that I would not conclude yet that this is a scam. There's negative feedback saying this guy is useless at answering messages, there's also positive feedback more recent than that including deliveries. At this point i'd be thinking it's just a useless seller who needs to get the finger out.

I'm also saying there's little to be lost by waiting a few days before concluding that it's a scam. It makes no difference, the money is gone.

I don't disagree. I'm not defending the seller or saying this is a good situation.

I'm just saying there's enough wallies on adverts that I would not conclude yet that this is a scam. There's negative feedback saying this guy is useless at answering messages, there's also positive feedback more recent than that including deliveries. At this point i'd be thinking it's just a useless seller who needs to get the finger out.

I'm also saying there's little to be lost by waiting a few days before concluding that it's a scam. It makes no difference, the money is gone.

true, of course this could all be avoided by a simple pm, then i wouldnt have to jump to that conclusion. he hasnt been in touch since 14.26 on the 19th, thats over 5 days now, there is no excuse for that

Finally ordered the watch that got me looking at watches again. Should be here in 15-30 days.. Damn thing has to go through an intermediary in America and then over to Vietnam.

I'm so bad when it comes to purchases sometimes. That took months and it's not even because I'm tight. SNXF05. Good thing it's cheap.. Haven't worked in over five weeks.

on of my colleagues husbands is a guard and he reckons he can get the guys name and address from the bank and he will pay him a visit, interesting to see how it plays out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Cyrus wrote: »
    on of my colleagues husbands is a guard and he reckons he can get the guys name and address from the bank and he will pay him a visit, interesting to see how it plays out!

Only with a pulse report and a specific report of a crime.
    The days of this kinda thing being done as a qt favour are over.

Advertisement