Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

tillyfilly wrote: »
    yes they people are what we call trolls in the media or having the craic in real life

There is blantant scaremongering on this thread and it's nothing got to do with the 'craic'. It's people being assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Italy v Iran in the semi final, winner to play China

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Imagine cancer got this sort of global reporting with death by death updates,maps, ect... imagine how dramatic it would look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

10% in a serious condition, deeply worrying considering how contagious the disease is.Ireland has a serious battle on its hands in the nxt few mths

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233806585341906945

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

There is blantant scaremongering on this thread and it's nothing got to do with the 'craic'. It's people being assholes.

some people are scared !

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

wadacrack wrote: »
    10% in a serious condition, deeply worrying considering how contagious the disease is.Ireland has a serious battle on its hands in the nxt few mths

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1233806585341906945

And did this really begin with just that couple from Wuhan visiting Italy? Absolutely mental spread if that's the case

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Lot of media led hysteria, seasonal flu kills thousands in this country every year.

80,000 People are Sick with Coronavirus at the Moment - of which 77,000 are in China.

This means that if you are not from China then this should remove 96% of your worry.

81% of the Cases are MILD
    14% of the Cases are MODERATE
    and only 5% of the Cases are CRITICAL

if you are under 50 years of age, and not living in China, you are more likely to win the lottery which is a 1 in 30,000,000

the death rate for the people UNDER 50 years of age is only 0.02%

On the worst day so far 108 people in CHINA died of Coronavirus.
    BUT, on the same day
    26,283 people died of Cancer
    24,641 people died of Heart Disease
    4,300 people died of Diabetes

Furthermore Mosquitoes kill 2,740 people every day, and Snakes kill 137 people every day.

i guess the difference is that we don't expect the snake population of the world to exponentially double every 6 days...

Cupatae wrote: »
    Imagine cancer got this sort of global reporting with death by death updates,maps, ect... imagine how dramatic it would look.

cancer is not contagious, not comparable

• Registered Users Posts: 28,521 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Why are you so ridiculously over the top, what was posted was balanced and gave comparisons there was no mention of it wasn't serious just no need for the hysteria. Obviously it needs to be contained but people need to use there brains aswell and clam abit.

The way you post and talk about stuff one would be nearly expecting something akin to the Walking dead in the next couple of hours.

Take a few deep breaths for urself.

I referenced the actions of major governments in response to this outbreak. I didn't make up any of that, if I did please challenge that. If you think the Chinese, Russians etc were hysterical in anything they did, challenge that.
    The Chinese DID lock down one of their provinces.
    The Russians DID close their border with China.
    etc etc

But how can quoting their actions in relation to the seriousness with which they approach coronavirus versus the flu be hysteria? How is it lacking in calmness? How is it over the top?

The way you have challenged my post on the contrary it appears you don't want to face up to the reality of the threat this disease represents UNLESS major action is taken by governments.

Comparing the deaths from diabetes to a new infectious disease is wrong on so many levels it has to be challenged. They are entirely different categories of disease any comparison of them is meangingless and ludicrous and dangerous and wrong.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

my ignorance is obvious, I thought bread grew on trees :pac:

It does... breadfruit.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

when is the last time there was a cancer rush to A&E? one of the questions is how will any health service deal with thousands of extra pneumonia cases all at the same time?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

It's also not a virus. But I guess people know that when comparing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Nobody is scaremongering, the figures coming out of Italy do all the scaremongering themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

The point i was getting at was not cancer but how such magnification of the issue could make it look alot more dramatic. Cancer was the example as alot of people world wide are affected by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Osborne wrote: »
    You're also saying 45 million people will die and Norway is claiming 25% of the population will die.

No, I was saying that others have said it. Those figures were for the number of people who might be infected in an unstoppable pandemic. 'only' 2% of those would be expected to die.

The point i was getting at was not cancer but how such magnification of the issue could make it look alot more dramatic. Cancer was the example as alot of people world wide are affected by it.

but it wouldn't induce such fear as people think they can avoid cancer if they just avoid a certain way of life or alternatively it is all in the lap of the gods whether they get it or not so worrying about it would be less beneficial, this pandemic of worry is all about fear and control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

If this thread is getting to you stop reading it go make a nice cup of tea and have a few fairy cakes.

The secret life of pets is starting on RTE 1 at 6.30 so you better hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

LOL. We have a winner.

This will take some beating

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

cnocbui wrote: »
    No, I was saying that others have said it. Those figures were for the number of people who might be infected in an unstoppable pandemic. 'only' 2% of those would be expected to die.

Yeah, that's worst case scenario, if no one took any measures to stop the spread and very unlikely to actually happen

• Advertisement

People to need to think why countries are taking the draconian actions they are...its not because of the media.

That is not to overplayed the situation either. It is a serious health risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Cancer is not contagious. Fairly irrelevant in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

BanditLuke wrote: »
    LOL. We have a winner.

This will take some beating

Amish gangs settled people dumping on halting sites and airborne cancer.:D

Jesus the loons really come out of the woodwork here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

theballz wrote: »
    Cancer is not contagious. Fairly irrelevant in comparison.

Like 99% of that posters points

Trump making another Coronavirus speech following the latest cases in the US.

He had said everything was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Is it still looking like children and teens are less likely to catch the virus? And not simply that they have less severe symptoms? Any links on this?

I would be very worried about the hygiene and sanitary facilities in our schools when this gets here, in terms of spread of the virus. So many schools have no hot water - though in 2009 the Department assured schools that this didn't matter in the context of the swine flu outbreak. But many don't provide any soap either, or hand drying facilities. And surfaces like desks are not cleaned for years on end in many cases. Whatever about primary where a child sits at the same desk for the day, at secondary there's somebody new sitting down at a desk every 40 minutes. It will spread so fast through schools unless things change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Or the flu. We'd all be petrified

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

This is breathtaking

Is it still looking like children and teens are less likely to catch the virus? And not simply that they have less severe symptoms? Any links on this?

I would be very worried about the hygiene and sanitary facilities in our schools when this gets here, in terms of spread of the virus. So many schools have no hot water - though in 2009 the Department assured schools that this didn't matter in the context of the swine flu outbreak. But many don't provide any soap either, or hand drying facilities. And surfaces like desks are not cleaned for years on end in many cases. Whatever about primary where a child sits at the same desk for the day, at secondary there's somebody new sitting down at a desk every 40 minutes. It will spread so fast through schools unless things change.

it does seem this is a virus that will attack older and infirm people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

fr336 wrote: »
    Nobody is scaremongering, the figures coming out of Italy do all the scaremongering themselves.

Nobody is scaremongering? You only join the thread a few pages ago?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement