Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You probably were. Hand sanitiser is not effective

Source?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

silverharp wrote: »
    I was in Tesco Merrion , most of the pasta , rice and tinned tomatoes were gone, everything else looked ok , I don't think their hearts are in it :D . honestly no harm people doing it now when everything is in good supply

That was me I'm making a monster bolegnese this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Big numbers from Italy now again today, now over 1k cases(+239) with 10% (105) in a serious condition.
    8 More deaths :(
    Source Worldometer - dont see BNO have it yet

Yup and I picked up Sanitisers for myself and my family... kind of regret not getting face masks though; will have to fashion something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Lot of media led hysteria, seasonal flu kills thousands in this country every year.

80,000 People are Sick with Coronavirus at the Moment - of which 77,000 are in China.

This means that if you are not from China then this should remove 96% of your worry.

81% of the Cases are MILD
    14% of the Cases are MODERATE
    and only 5% of the Cases are CRITICAL

if you are under 50 years of age, and not living in China, you are more likely to win the lottery which is a 1 in 30,000,000

the death rate for the people UNDER 50 years of age is only 0.02%

On the worst day so far 108 people in CHINA died of Coronavirus.
    BUT, on the same day
    26,283 people died of Cancer
    24,641 people died of Heart Disease
    4,300 people died of Diabetes

Furthermore Mosquitoes kill 2,740 people every day, and Snakes kill 137 people every day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

laurah591 wrote: »
    Big numbers from Italy now again today, now over 1k cases with 10% in a serious condition.
    9 More deaths :(

If rome is anything to go by , im not surprised its spreading fast there, place was filthy as fuq

• Advertisement

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Lot of media led hysteria, seasonal flu kills thousands in this country every year.

80,000 People are Sick with Coronavirus at the Moment - of which 77,000 are in China.

This means that if you are not from China then this should remove 96% of your worry.

81% of the Cases are MILD
    14% of the Cases are MODERATE
    and only 5% of the Cases are CRITICAL

if you are under 50 years of age, and not living in China, you are more likely to win the lottery which is a 1 in 30,000,000

the death rate for the people UNDER 50 years of age is only 0.02%

On the worst day so far 108 people in CHINA died of Coronavirus.
    BUT, on the same day
    26,283 people died of Cancer
    24,641 people died of Heart Disease
    4,300 people died of Diabetes

Furthermore Mosquitoes kill 2,740 people every day, and Snakes kill 137 people every day.

Ive came to the conclusion that alot of people seem to enjoy the hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭appledrop

Did our weekly shop today + no problem getting any of our supplies. The shop was packed but workers were saying it was because everyone was out early to get home before the storm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

laurah591 wrote: »
    Big numbers from Italy now again today, now over 1k cases with 10% in a serious condition.
    9 More deaths :(

Yup and I picked up Sanitisers for myself and my family... kind of regret not getting face masks though; will have to fashion something

The 3pc figure for cfr seems to be holding up.
    Scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Source?

Any literature I have read claims that hand washing is far more effective than a hand sanitizer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Cupatae wrote: »
    Ive came to the conclusion that alot of people seem to enjoy the hysteria.

sometimes peoples lives can be a little empty and they need the buzz of a virus for a bit of excitement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭scotchy

silverharp wrote: »
    I was in Tesco Merrion , most of the pasta , rice and tinned tomatoes were gone, everything else looked ok ,

Sauce?

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

joe_99 wrote: »
    I know. That would mean over 4bn people infected. Complete nonsense

It’s mad that people can make ridiculous statements like that and not be held to account

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

That was me I'm making a monster bolegnese this evening

if the loo rolls are gone tomorrow, I blame you for that too then :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

Any literature I have read claims that hand washing is far more effective than a hand sanitizer.

Yes, but where are you going to wash your hands when out and about.... it’s for that reason people are buying hand sanitizer .

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The 3pc figure for cfr seems to be holding up.
    Scary.

Yes would appear so, although I'm hopefully that CFR will reverse downwards as more cases emerge. Daily fatalities outside China are on the rise for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

tillyfilly wrote: »
    sometimes peoples lives can be a little empty and they need the buzz of a virus

They also enjoy scaring others for kicks and giggles.

It’s mad that people can make ridiculous statements like that and not be held to account

I’d be far more concerned with holding to account spreaders of coronavirus than spreaders of info or misinfo on coronavirus......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Supercell wrote: »
    We did our weekly shop this morning in Aldi, it was very noticeable people are stocking up - barely any Barrys tea left!, many frozen good shelves emptied, no hand sanitiser left and people clearly looking for it. Lots of empty packing boxes for thing like pasta and rice laying around. Very few of the large water bottles left, plain and wholemeal flour cleaned out (people obviously thinking about storm Emma there) honestly found it quite fascinating what people are stocking up on.

I've been to a few supermarkets and hand sanitiser is the only product that seems impossible to find. Everything else had plenty of supply but it was notable people were buying a lot of liquid soap, pasta/rice/noodles long lasting food, medicines like paracetamol and the likes of toilet paper, tissues and kitchen towels. It's worth keeping an eye for empty shelves for stuff like that since they're running out in other countries with an outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

sonofenoch wrote: »

Tell the Chinese they didn't need to bother helping out the Wuhan regional medical facilities then. They should have just let the infection run its course.
    The Russians didn't need to close their border with China.
    Tell the French to cancel their order for personal protective equipment.
    Tell the Italians to stop their efforts in northern Italy.
    etc etc etc

Those actions had nothing to do with media hysteria and those actions are on a whole other level to anything any government has ever done with seasonal flu, or diabetes.
    In light of that, it shows how meaningless the statistics you quoted are.
    This is a new outbreak.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    I’d be far more concerned with holding to account spreaders of coronavirus than spreaders of info or misinfo on coronavirus......

Holding to account in what way?

They also enjoy scaring others for kicks and giggles.

yes they people are what we call trolls in the media or having the craic in real life

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Trump just ended the Afghanistan war....thought we could do with some good news.

dan786 wrote: »

those orange balls sure are spreading in Asia!

tillyfilly wrote: »
    yes they people are what we can trolls in the media or having the craic in real life

I wouldn’t think trolling and having the craic are that similar to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Tell the Chinese they didn't need to bother helping out the Wuhan regional medical facilities then. They should have just let the infection run its course.
    etc etc etc

Those actions had nothing to do with media hysteria and those actions are on a whole other level to anything any government has ever done with seasonal flu, or diabetes.
    This is a new outbreak.

It's pointless educating some people on here. They'll be in denial until the virus effects someone in their family and even then who knows.

Some people just see what they want to.

Holding to account in what way?

Sure that’s true there should be no repercussions the dead can’t complain right?

I wouldn’t think trolling and having the craic are that similar to be honest

there are many variations of trolls, and having the craic doesn't really have a definition so long as a laugh is had , even if its a sick laugh at someone else's expense

screamer wrote: »
    Sure that’s true there should be no repercussions the dead can’t complain right?

What are you talking about? How should people be held to account?

• Advertisement

etc etc etc

This is a new outbreak.

Why are you so ridiculously over the top, what was posted was balanced and gave comparisons there was no mention of it wasn't serious just no need for the hysteria. Obviously it needs to be contained but people need to use there brains aswell and clam abit.

The way you post and talk about stuff one would be nearly expecting something akin to the Walking dead in the next couple of hours.

Take a few deep breaths for urself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement