Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,014 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Not that far fetched though when you think about it. It's like HIV and the common cold had a baby.

I found a site where researchers were discussing the DNA/RNA of Covid-19 and surmising it's origins and whether it was possibly synthetic or not and while much of it was way over my head, I got the impression they didn't think there was anything unnatural or suspicious about it.

I'd have thought something deliberate would have a higher mortality rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Due to my experience in dealing with the general public everyday I can say with confidence that people in general are a stupid bunch. There are individuals knocking around who are walking miracles. How they haven't died yet is amazing.

And the more stupid they are the more arrogant and passive aggressive they get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Due to my experience in dealing with the general public everyday I can say with confidence that people in general are a stupid bunch. There are individuals knocking around who are walking miracles. How they haven't died yet is amazing.

Not American's either? Imagine that. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭solidasarock

Have they said anything about plans for Patricks day events?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,019 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm in office supplies business so we would do a bit of hygiene supplies. Usual supplier is getting in some 500ml bottles of sanitizer next week, wholesale price increased by 300%. Take it or leave it they said well still sell out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Mwengwe wrote: »
    Where does the bat come into it?

Ozzy Osborne bit it's head off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

rob316 wrote: »
    I'm in office supplies business so we would do a bit of hygiene supplies. Usual supplier is getting in some 500ml bottles of sanitizer next week, wholesale price increased by 300%. Take it or leave it they said well still sell out of it.

Good profits to be made in a pandemic scare. I'm sure plenty here would be interested in buying some off you even at a 500% mark up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

My old man used to say "creaking doors last the longest". So if you have every feckin ailment under the sun you will live forever, if you are fit and healthy you will just pop off in an instant.

And there are many creaking doors around too, some of them intelligent, some not, but they do seem to survive alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

multiple Italian typhoid marys
    now therein lies an abstract concept :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

cnocbui wrote: »
    Norway says it could be 25% of their population, others have said it could infect up to 60%.

1% would be the credibility I would give your posts.

Who have said it will be 60%?

• Advertisement

Have they said anything about plans for Patricks day events?

Not that I have heard. But it's in the open air and may not be considered a hazard, or some such BS. But we shall see.

My bet? If hysteria calms down and we don't get updates every five minutes, it will go ahead. Must see if there are any odds in the bookies on this. Someone might know, I'm not one for gambling much, but strange and wonderful odds entice me to have a punt for a tenner on occasion, for the laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I found a site where researchers were discussing the DNA/RNA of Covid-19 and surmising it's origins and whether it was possibly synthetic or not and while much of it was way over my head, I got the impression they didn't think there was anything unnatural or suspicious about it.

I'd have thought something deliberate would have a higher mortality rate.

Exactly... any Biological Warfare scientist who came up with a "weapon" like this would be fired for gross incompetence.

The WHO China report says... "Since the COVID-19 virus has a genome identity of 96% to a bat SARS-like coronavirus and 86%-92% to a pangolin SARS-like coronavirus, an animal source for COVID-19 is highly likely."

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Did the simpsons predict absolutely everything ?

**pic won’t attach but they predicted corona and a virus coming from China way way back in season 4 in 1993

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Exactly... any Biological Warfare scientist who came up with a "weapon" like this would be fired for gross incompetence.

The WHO China report says... "Since the COVID-19 virus has a genome identity of 96% to a bat SARS-like coronavirus and 86%-92% to a pangolin SARS-like coronavirus, an animal source for COVID-19 is highly likely."

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

Fire because they made a ****e virus that doesnt kill ? or fired because they made one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,014 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Not that I have heard. But it's in the open air and may not be considered a hazard, or some such BS. But we shall see.

My bet? If hysteria calms down and we don't get updates every five minutes, it will go ahead. Must see if there are any odds in the bookies on this. Someone might know, I'm not one for gambling much, but strange and wonderful odds entice me to have a punt for a tenner on occasion, for the laughs.

Hmmm... a bad bet I think.

They delayed St Patrick's Day for 2 months until of the Foot and Mouth epidemic was over in 2001, for the benefit of cattle health.

Not sure if it is a particularly good look if they go ahead with it when human health is at stake.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0418/782638-st-patricks-day-in-may/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Runaways wrote: »
    Did the simpsons predict absolutely everything ?
    **pic won’t attach but they predicted corona and a virus coming from China way way back in season 4 in 1993

Not quite, it was a virus from Osaka in Japan... someone's knocked up an online photo showing China instead.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Not quite, it was a virus from Osaka in Japan... someone's knocked up an online photo showing China instead.

Ah right gotcha. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We did our weekly shop this morning in Aldi, it was very noticeable people are stocking up - barely any Barrys tea left!, many frozen good shelves emptied, no hand sanitiser left and people clearly looking for it. Lots of empty packing boxes for thing like pasta and rice laying around. Very few of the large water bottles left, plain and wholemeal flour cleaned out (people obviously thinking about storm Emma there) honestly found it quite fascinating what people are stocking up on.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    We did our weekly shop this morning in Aldi, it was very noticeable people are stocking up - barely any Barrys tea left!, many frozen good shelves emptied, no hand sanitiser left and people clearly looking for it. Lots of empty packing boxes for thing like pasta and rice laying around. Very few of the large water bottles left, plain and wholemeal flour cleaned out (people obviously thinking about storm Emma there) honestly found it quite fascinating what people are stocking up on.

plain and wholemeal flour??

Wow prepping machines!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The opposite in my local ALDI plenty of stock no evidence of panic buying. Must be less concerned people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

I bought some hand sanitizer about two weeks ago. Apparently I was over-reacting and panicking according to the 3 digit post count experts.

You're also saying 45 million people will die and Norway is claiming 25% of the population will die.

id say shops do be praying for storms and stuff at this stage, they must make a mint of people going mental buying stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Who have said it will be 60%?

I know. That would mean over 4bn people infected. Complete nonsense

Hmmm... a bad bet I think.

They delayed St Patrick's Day for 2 months until of the Foot and Mouth epidemic was over in 2001, for the benefit of cattle health.

Not sure if it is a particularly good look if they go ahead with it when human health is at stake.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0418/782638-st-patricks-day-in-may/

OK and thanks. Just wondered if any odds being offered on this, but I'm a lazy git so I'll check it out, have no online accounts so I reckon I need to check PP or whoever website to see. Something to do later on.

Anyway, the St Patrick's Day Festival should be on the May Bank Holiday weekend, going forward like. Must get in touch with the Festival organisers. I'm sure they will take my suggestion on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

tillyfilly wrote: »
    plain and wholemeal flour??

Wow prepping machines!

I stocked up on it in anticipation of people stocking up on it. I make the bread for the family, there'd be murder if I couldn't make bread and there were no supplies on the shelf.

Osborne wrote: »
    You're also saying 45 million people will die and Norway is claiming 25% of the population will die.

I burst out laughing at the "according to the 3 digit post count experts." thats the sort of people you are dealing with lol

I bought some hand sanitizer about two weeks ago. Apparently I was over-reacting and panicking according to the 3 digit post count experts.

You probably were. Hand sanitiser is not effective

circadian wrote: »
    I stocked up on it in anticipation of people stocking up on it. I make the bread for the family, there'd be murder if I couldn't make bread and there were no supplies of the shelf.

my ignorance is obvious, I thought bread grew on trees :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was in Tesco Merrion , most of the pasta , rice and tinned tomatoes were gone, everything else looked ok , I don't think their hearts are in it :D . honestly no harm people doing it now when everything is in good supply

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement