Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,083 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

dan786 wrote: »
    lawred2 wrote: »
    Ok.. what do you suggest?

Something like this, ban incoming flights from infection hotspots

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

spurious wrote: »
    If I get sick, how do I know it's this plague, rather than the standard multiple other types of flu that are circulating?

Same question here have been feeling a bit sick the past few 2 days, chills sore throat and cough but seems no worse than a cold

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

So Im supposed to be off to Rome in two hours time. Thats not happening. After the CDC issued their recommendation last night, that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Italy. I went into the travel agents it was booked with to look at getting the refund etc since we bought the travel insurance policy but they stated that flights are still due out and no shut down of the destination as been issued. . . . . I haven't a breeze what to do. Do I wait until or if Italy is closed down then look at chasing a refund then or what you's recommend ?

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-italy

Apparently, insurance won't pay out unless the DFA has advised people not to travel to an area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Definitely not panicking but cant say the same for the rest of Ireland you cant buy a hand sanitiser for love nor money

How is buying hand sanitiser "panicking"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

So Im supposed to be off to Rome in two hours time. Thats not happening. After the CDC issued their recommendation last night, that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Italy. I went into the travel agents it was booked with to look at getting the refund etc since we bought the travel insurance policy but they stated that flights are still due out and no shut down of the destination as been issued. . . . . I haven't a breeze what to do. Do I wait until or if Italy is closed down then look at chasing a refund then or what you's recommend ?

Rome looks less affected than the other areas of the North. I'm sure youd be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

How many you looking for? ;)

i don't know really but people are charing crazy money its crazy not worried about myself but elderly parents i would like to get them some. even a few small bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I assume you're in Ireland? If so, based on what I heard on the radio (so obviously take with a pinch of salt) you wont be able to get a refund unless a travel warning is issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs - CDC warnings mean nothing here. I'd imagine any travel warnings wouldn't be applied to past flights as well so unfortunately looks like you're out of luck.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    How is buying hand sanitiser "panicking"?

because there isnt any left to buy people are bulk buying

stretchaq wrote: »
    Or people could stop freaking out like they did with cjd/bar/sars/swine, 300 people in the world die of starvation every hour not a word about it

Start a thread if you are concerned about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Do you get all the ways an infectious disease is different to a car crash?
    Obviously not if you're posting this irrelevant nonsense.

It’s called perspective. I am taking all the precautions necessary for Coronavirus and I agree with all the drastic measures but that doesn’t mean I can’t offer perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 morebarn

Cormac Ó h-eadhra featuring Covid-19 at moment. Doctor from Mater Hospital advises contacting GP for diagnosis in case it’s some other condition altogether. He says there’s no clear pathway of diagnosis, no consensus on what should be done. National Plan is still in development. Woman doctor guest doesn’t know who is responsible for testing. Not decided yet. We don’t have cases. We are in containment phase. No reason to scale this up. Mater doctor indicates we don’t have a blueprint yet. Cormac says GPs say don’t call us. Woman guest says school trips may need to be cancelled. Mater doctor says other countries haven’t cancelled spirting events, it’s premature to do so. Another guest in tourism says we need to be prudent but proportionate. Containment abroad is working.

Yes I was listening also!
    Found it completely depressing to be honest. Very little reassurance there.
    Seems to be no co-ordination in evidence.
    No one could answer Cormac as to who will carry out testing.

Just repeating the old mantra about containment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Either go or accept the loss. No other choice really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Exactly. The be been sick all week but have carried on as normal. I can’t afford to take two weeks off

The hse said the flu season is over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

froog wrote: »
    are you serious? i get told at least a few times a week to "give them up they'll kill yeah" "disgusting habit" etc in work and from friends/relatives. some workplaces are even getting rid of smoking sheds altogether. some entire cities are doing the same. some of those radio anti smoking ads are absolutely horrible - the one with the dad finding his daughters fags and feeling guilty.

if someone fat shamed someone in my work they would likely be fired or be talked to seriously by HR.

You're probably one of those smokers who looks like ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

dan786 wrote: »

So they can have 4999 people in a confined space? just ban gathering lol

i don't know really but people are charing crazy money its crazy not worried about myself but elderly parents i would like to get them some. even a few small bottles

Handwashing is very effective. If you can't get sanitiser, Dettol will work.

The hse said the flu season is over

Yep, but we know what people on here think of the HSE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

stretchaq wrote: »
    Or people could stop freaking out like they did with cjd/bar/sars/swine, 300 people in the world die of starvation every hour not a word about it

I'm starving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Is this business with the hand sanitizers running out a joke? Honestly can't tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Knex. wrote: »
    Woman in directly in front of me for my flight to London this morning coughed every fabric of her soul out during the flight.

I know who to blame if I get chesty in about ten days time. She seemed oblivious to even covering her mouth, so that was super comforting.

Mad how paranoid this makes ya. A few weeks ago I'd have barely batted an eye lid.

God, this is what I hate. Some people just don't care about themselves or others. Walking around without covering a cough or using tissues when sneezing and not washing hands properly. I've seen in some public toilets some people just quickly dipping their hands under a running tap and walk out the door. No that's not how you wash your hands.

This coronavirus is going to spread because some people don't care about some basic hygiene and manners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

storm Jorge is here!!

Handwashing is very effective. If you can't get sanitiser, Dettol will work.

Yes got Dettol soap for them just more if they have to go out the gel is hand to have in pocket my mam is an oncology patient so extra worried as she has a lot of hospital appointments she has to go to. But sure we just have to get on with it everyone will be in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Cupatae wrote: »
    So they can have 4999 people in a confined space? just ban gathering lol

LOL I too can't understand the logic of 5000 being dangerous and 4,999 being OK.

Looks like the French minister was pulling figures out of his ass !

Is this business with the hand sanitizers running out a joke? Honestly can't tell.

Hand sanitizers and masks are in short supply. No joke

BanditLuke wrote: »

They should just come on here bitching and moaning but you already have that covered

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

tillyfilly wrote: »
    if only storm Jorge had the will and the want to blow the Corona virus into space

That's not how storms or viruses work.

Yes got Dettol soap for them just more if they have to go out the gel is hand to have in pocket my mam is an oncology patient so extra worried as she has a lot of hospital appointments she has to go to. But sure we just have to get on with it everyone will be in the same boat.

Yeah I can understand her anxiety. At least there will be sanitisers throughout the hospitals. Maybe bring a bottle of ordinary Dettol and swab her hands with tissue soaked in Dettol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement