Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

iguana wrote: »
    Sore throat and sinus issues are usually a sign of an upper respiratory tract infection or an allergy. Covid-19 is most probably a lower respiratory tract infection. So while people with Covid-19 can have a sore throat and blocked/runny sinuses, they aren't likely to be the first symptoms.

Apparently only 4% get a runny nose and that’s usually after rather than before the aches, fever z as d. Pugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Many people who died of the Spansih Flu would not have died if vaccines and antibiotics had existed. Similar to the Coronavirus, the high mortality rate would have been because of preexisting health problems. Healthy people are much more likely to survive. Which is why vaccines and antibiotics are so important.

Agreed... but the Spanish Flu mostly killed young adults and a strong immune system was a disadvantage. The figures for pregnant women were absolutely terrible. Modern analysis has shown the (1918) virus to be particularly deadly because it triggers a cytokine storm (overreaction of the body's immune system), which ravages the stronger immune system of young adults.

Thankfully coronavirus seems to be behaving differently sparing the young.

Trouble is we are perhaps 12 to 18 months away from a useful Convid 19 coronavirus vaccine.

The Chinese are trying all kinds of treatments at present but it is too early to expect definitive results on what works best.

That is one of the reasons for trying to delay the spread as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Mater doctor says other countries haven’t cancelled spirting events, it’s premature to do so. Another guest in tourism says we need to be prudent but proportionate. Containment abroad is working.

DzMilSgWsAAFO8K.jpg

Let's revisit the numbers in France and Germany in a week's time to see if "containment is working"...

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

my company's owners and management think it's all a big joke. they let a work colleague who had been to milan on a business trip last week happily walk all around the office areas amongst pregnant women and others who have immuno suppressed relatives without a care in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

bb12 wrote: »
    my company's owners and management think it's all a big joke. they let a work colleague who had been to milan on a business trip last week happily walk all around the office areas amongst pregnant women and others who have immuno suppressed relatives without a care in the world.

What can they really do about that? It's up to the guy himself to have some sense and stay at home or ask to work from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

zig wrote: »
    Today alone probably approx 3000 people have died in car crashes.

The problem with type of thinking is that if the health services are overwhelmed by an outbreak then the usual car crash or other serious events needing treatment are at higher risk of being unsuccessful.

So while some people have been killed or had serious car accidents. There is capacity for this. An outbreak changes this.

People are saying it's here already, sure its not that bad etc. I don't disagree. For the majority it won't be that bad but stocking up, reducing contact and trying to reduce and slow spread is important as it allows those at risk a higher chance of survival rather than freely allowing an outbreak. I don't think many people are freakiling out, they're being pragmatic in planning for the worst and hoping for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

bb12 wrote: »

Our company are taking serious action. Some in self isolation, cancelled work trips, reduced vendor access to site etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Woman in directly in front of me for my flight to London this morning coughed every fabric of her soul out during the flight.

I know who to blame if I get chesty in about ten days time. She seemed oblivious to even covering her mouth, so that was super comforting.

Mad how paranoid this makes ya. A few weeks ago I'd have barely batted an eye lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

DzMilSgWsAAFO8K.jpg

Let's revisit the numbers in France and Germany in a week's time to see if "containment is working"...

Ok.. what do you suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 29 February 2020

novel-coronavirus-cases-EU-UK-29-February-2020.PNG?itok=TfEvaf7s

A slight dip in the number of daily cases being reported in Europe today.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Its 2/3 o clock in the day for most of europe still a good few hours to go yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

We heard a lot in the early days of this about how your risk of contracting this was a lot lower for interactions of less than 15 minutes, hence it easily spreading to family members. But I haven't heard this for a good while is it incorrect info?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Have the media been told to pipe down on this ?
    Also this thread is no longer on "trending" on front page - I find that hard to believe

Don't think it's any kind of conspiracy tbh people are incredibly stupid and have a tiny attention span only thing is this isn't a story that will go away like a nutter stabbing people on some bridge in London. This WILL get a lot worse im afraid and all the positive spin the HSE are trying to get out will mean nothing when ther are lines of people outside the hospitals looking for treatment.

Knex. wrote: »
    Woman in directly in front of me for my flight to London this morning coughed every fabric of her soul out during the flight.

I know who to blame if I get chesty in about ten days time. She seemed oblivious to even covering her mouth, so that was super comforting.

Mad how paranoid this makes ya. A few weeks ago I'd have barely batted an eye lid.

So are you going to self-isolate?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

• Registered Users Posts: 28,562 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

zig wrote: »
    Today alone probably approx 3000 people have died in car crashes.

Do you get all the ways an infectious disease is different to a car crash?
    Obviously not if you're posting this irrelevant nonsense.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Don't think it's any kind of conspiracy tbh people are incredibly stupid and have a tiny attention span only thing is this isn't a story that will go away like a nutter stabbing people on some bridge in London. This WILL get a lot worse im afraid and all the positive spin the HSE are trying to get out will mean nothing when ther are lines of people outside the hospitals looking for treatment.
    People are not incredibly stupid. Arrogant much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

• Registered Users Posts: 28,562 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

fr336 wrote: »
    We heard a lot in the early days of this about how your risk of contracting this was a lot lower for interactions of less than 15 minutes, hence it easily spreading to family members. But I haven't heard this for a good while is it incorrect info?

15 minutes is in the HSE definition of 'close contact' but I don't know what the stats are underlying that.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

So are you going to self-isolate?

The chances of her actually having the virus, and me contracring it, are probably quite slim.

But if I do develop symptoms, of course. I expect everyone to do similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Tootsie_1

Definitely not panicking but cant say the same for the rest of Ireland you cant buy a hand sanitiser for love nor money

The chances of her actually having the virus, and me contracring it, are probably quite slim.

But if I do develop symptoms, of course. I expect everyone to do similar.

People won’t self isolate. Just can’t see it happening. Life has to go on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If I get sick, how do I know it's this plague, rather than the standard multiple other types of flu that are circulating?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

So you'll make it through the apocalypse but your teeth won't!:P

To be honest,half the rubbish I bought is gone already.
    Feel sick now :(

Tootsie_1 wrote: »
    Definitely not panicking but cant say the same for the rest of Ireland you cant buy a hand sanitiser for love nor money

How many you looking for? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭saabsaab

So many people just the same constant coughing and no little effort to cover their faces. A high percentage don't wash their hands either no wonder disease spreads. We are more aware now of course.

spurious wrote: »
    If I get sick, how do I know it's this plague, rather than the standard multiple other types of flu that are circulating?

Exactly. The be been sick all week but have carried on as normal. I can’t afford to take two weeks off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

dan786 wrote: »

Good pro active action. I think the UK and Ireland should follow this lead and get serious. Cheltenham should be cancelled and Premier league matches should be played behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

So Im supposed to be off to Rome in two hours time. Thats not happening. After the CDC issued their recommendation last night, that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Italy. I went into the travel agents it was booked with to look at getting the refund etc since we bought the travel insurance policy but they stated that flights are still due out and no shut down of the destination as been issued. . . . . I haven't a breeze what to do. Do I wait until or if Italy is closed down then look at chasing a refund then or what you's recommend ?

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-italy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Good pro active action. I think the UK and Ireland should follow this lead and get serious. Cheltenham should be cancelled and Premier league matches should be played behind closed doors.

Or people could stop freaking out like they did with cjd/bar/sars/swine, 300 people in the world die of starvation every hour not a word about it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement