Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Reading this thread the last few days. I am a natural worrier, can't help it. I automatically jump to worst case scenario. All kinds of things go through my mind, mainly can i protect my kids from this? What if Myself and partner die, what will happen them? See? Worst case scenario!

Anyway what I wanted to say is , although we all need to take this seriously and take necessary precautions, I am so very grateful for the sense of humour here too. I love how we as a nation do that in the face of doom, it's so important. And also to take breaks from this thread every now and then , do something normal to get some headspace from all the worry. We will get through this.

Meditate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

scamalert wrote: »
    some people cant live their lives and need paranoia it seems or are natural at that, like crap with anti waxxer morons, if this has higher rater mortality of flu i can live with that, its here already more or less, few wans saying they will prepare makes me laugh, if it spreads will be more of natural selection.

but back to reality, the actual numbers are barely above 3 thousand dead world wide, if it was as bad as some make it to be, that number should have few more zeros, yet as time goes it seems slowed down.

theres prob more each day dying in china from air pollution and crap conditions and likes of Iran getting couple drone strikes wipes out more in a day, then this crap so far did in month or two.

China have locked up millions of people to avoid spread. Pollution isn't too bad in Ireland. Nor are there drone strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭scotchy

zig wrote: »
    Sore throat today, I have now become a fully fledged hypochondriac.

I picked up a cough yesterday, I should really stop following this thread until its cleared up.

:o

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

yet as time goes it seems slowed down..
    Not anywhere outside of China. S.Kor reported 800 new cases yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I have a cough as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

theres prob more each day dying in china from air pollution and crap conditions and likes of Iran getting couple drone strikes wipes out more in a day, then this crap so far did in month or two.

Nonsense post these are things that have always exsisted are known and are genrally controlled by humans.

This is a virus totally unexpected and unknown.

Just drink it instead.

:D This reminds me of a 1979 holiday I enjoyed with my cousin in Russia. She sprained her ankle and attended the doctor who advised using vodka to pour over the ankle as a cooling agent as it would evaporate. We were in accommodation without access to ice, snd without air conditioning, so this was his best practical suggestion to help reduce swelling. Instead of putting it on her ankle she said “to hell with the ankle, I’m going to kill the pain this way instead” as she drank it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Luke do you think anything in the country is good ? You are one of the most negative posters I’ve seen recently. Complete negativity to everything. That much negativity is bad for your health.

Yeah loads of good stuff. LOI football (seasons back guys go support your local side once this thing blows over), beautiful mountains, beautiful beaches, great pubs, restaurants etc... I love nothing more than throwing my camping gear onto the back of my motorbike and heading off for a fishing trip for the weekend when the weather allows. Love this country. :)

Yeah there negatives of course but for me no competition between Ireland and somewhere like America or the middle east for example.

This thread is about something very serious though let's not pretend it's not. If you have a problem with my posting there is a report button on each post.

Regards, Luke

Looks like a family bought a load of them suits off the internet and going for a lovely walk in galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

fr336 wrote: »
    China have locked up millions of people to avoid spread. Pollution isn't too bad in Ireland. Nor are there drone strikes.

im talking actual stats - numbers just not adding up, yes few died in other countries, but by the looks of it if its that bad china would have deaths in millions, as 3k wordwide is grain of sand, given how populated the wutan city was its like 14 people to single person in Dublin in way smaller space, and given migration it should be everywhere there but it aint. And yes all the crap how china hides everything etc, but with social media these days, youd see proper outcomes if it was worse, but atm it seems more like staged or whatever made up ****e being posted daily, that only paranoid one like to pick.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Yeah loads of good stuff. LOI football (seasons back guys go support your local side once this thing blows over), beautiful mountains, beautiful beaches, great pubs, restaurants etc... I love nothing more than throwing my camping gear onto the back of my motorbike and heading off for a fishing trip for the weekend when the weather allows. Love this country. :)

Yeah there negatives of course but for me no competition between Ireland and somewhere like America or the middle east for example.

This thread is about something very serious though let's not pretend it's not. If you have a problem with my posting there is a report button on each post.

Regards, Luke

You're positivity is having a negative effect on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

blade1 wrote: »
    Well I'm off to Lidl for some hand gel.
    Hope my bum doesn't look too big in this

Screenshot-20200229-111727.jpg

Back from my local Lidl and they had no hand gel or gloves.
    Not to leave in a state of total desperation, I decided to arm myself with a load of crisps, chocolate, biscuits and coke for the upcoming self containment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

zig wrote: »
    Sore throat today, I have now become a fully fledged hypochondriac.

Sore throat and sinus issues are usually a sign of an upper respiratory tract infection or an allergy. Covid-19 is most probably a lower respiratory tract infection. So while people with Covid-19 can have a sore throat and blocked/runny sinuses, they aren't likely to be the first symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

spurious wrote: »
    Not that a virus thinks, but it is not in its best interest to kill the host.

I think this is a good point for all here who ask for positive news...:D no, seriously, it is like that, viruses don't want to kill their hosts because they aim to survive too (with the host). afaik that's why they mutate and mostly loosing their severity with time.

that's also why it's important to gain time in spreading trying to contain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

fr336 wrote: »
    Was always interested how smokers were never shamed anywhere near as much as overweight people. It's not as easy to lecture smokers and feel superior. Anyway...

are you serious? i get told at least a few times a week to "give them up they'll kill yeah" "disgusting habit" etc in work and from friends/relatives. some workplaces are even getting rid of smoking sheds altogether. some entire cities are doing the same. some of those radio anti smoking ads are absolutely horrible - the one with the dad finding his daughters fags and feeling guilty.

if someone fat shamed someone in my work they would likely be fired or be talked to seriously by HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,562 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

im talking actual stats - numbers just not adding up, yes few died in other countries, but by the looks of it if its that bad china would have deaths in millions, as 3k wordwide is grain of sand, given how populated the wutan city was its like 14 people to single person in Dublin in way smaller space, and given migration it should be everywhere there but it aint. And yes all the crap how china hides everything etc, but with social media these days, youd see proper outcomes if it was worse, but atm it seems more like staged or whatever made up ****e being posted daily, that only paranoid one like to pick.

China redeployed 40000 medical staff to Hubei\Wuhan.
    They increased the hospital capacity there by thousands in weeks at least temporarily.
    They locked down Wuhan, only one family member leaving the house every 2 days - screening on entering supermarkets.
    Schools, factories, businesses shut down.
    Public and then private transport were shut down.

What would the multiplier effect on deaths be if it takes hold in a city where they can't do all of the above e.g. Dublin?
    Could we redeploy hunderds of medical staff?

That's why the WHO have this on their highest alert setting.
    That's why multiple major countries US, Russia, Japan, France, Italy are treating this waay more seriously than 3000 deaths would suggest.
    It's not paranoia when it's a scenario that can occur.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Great precautions being taken in a SuperValu I just visited. Disinfectant wipes being provided at the coffee station, covers over all the baked goods, hand sanitizers at all the self service checkouts

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

odyssey06 wrote: »
    China redeployed 40000 medical staff to Hubei.

You can also 'glass half full' that news. They wouldn't redeploy that many medical staff into Hubei if they felt they were going to need them elsewhere in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

tara73 wrote: »
    I think this is a good point for all here who ask for positive news...:D no, seriously, it is like that, viruses don't want to kill their hosts because they aim to survive too (with the host). afaik that's why they mutate and mostly loosing their severity with time.

that's also why it's important to gain time in spreading.

A WHO team returned from China last week and said that the Chinese Coronavirus epidemic peaked and plateaued end January and has begun to decline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

some people cant live their lives and need paranoia it seems or are natural at that, like crap with anti waxxer morons, if this has higher rater mortality of flu i can live with that, its here already more or less, few wans saying they will prepare makes me laugh, if it spreads will be more of natural selection.

but back to reality, the actual numbers are barely above 3 thousand dead world wide, if it was as bad as some make it to be, that number should have few more zeros, yet as time goes it seems slowed down.

Today alone probably approx 3000 people have died in car crashes.

Cormac Ó h-eadhra featuring Covid-19 at moment. Doctor from Mater Hospital advises contacting GP for diagnosis in case it’s some other condition altogether. He says there’s no clear pathway of diagnosis, no consensus on what should be done. National Plan is still in development. Woman doctor guest doesn’t know who is responsible for testing. Not decided yet. We don’t have cases. We are in containment phase. No reason to scale this up. Mater doctor indicates we don’t have a blueprint yet. Cormac says GPs say don’t call us. Woman guest says school trips may need to be cancelled. Mater doctor says other countries haven’t cancelled spirting events, it’s premature to do so. Another guest in tourism says we need to be prudent but proportionate. Containment abroad is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

imho we are still not taking this seriously. we NEED to stop all incoming flights from heavily affected areas and ban all public gatherings. we NEED repeated TV and radio ads drilling home the hand washing and isolation guidance. we NEED large temporary spaces with beds, no they won't be ideal hospital beds, but at least a place for affected to go and get whatever healthcare our stretched system can manage. whether that's converting large town halls, stadium etc

i mean there's still a good portion of my work who think this is the same as swine flu. no i dont want mass panic but we need to be prepared and we are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Have the media been told to pipe down on this ?
    Also this thread is no longer on "trending" on front page - I find that hard to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Many people who died of the Spansih Flu would not have died if vaccines and antibiotics had existed. Similar to the Coronavirus, the high mortality rate would have been because of preexisting health problems. Healthy people are much more likely to survive. Which is why vaccines and antibiotics are so important.

Vaccines existed before 1918, but one could not be developed quickly with the medical technology of the time. Probably one can be developed more quickly now, but not quickly enough. Antibiotics would have saved many. The "Spanish" flu killed many young people by triggering an excessive immune system response. But there were health problems pre-existing then which are less common today.
    Musefan wrote: »
    Great precautions being taken in a SuperValu I just visited. Disinfectant wipes being provided at the coffee station, covers over all the baked goods, hand sanitizers at all the self service checkouts

Great to see it. This kind of this is a real help, as places like SIngapore have shown, but are not very disruptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,562 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

iguana wrote: »
    You can also 'glass half full' that news. They wouldn't redeploy that many medical staff into Hubei if they felt they were going to need them elsewhere in China.

True, but could they only do that because they had a ring of steel around one of their own provinces to stop it spreading to the rest of China?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

blade1 wrote: »
    Back from my local Lidl and they had no hand gel or gloves.
    Not to leave in a state of total desperation, I decided to arm myself with a load of crisps, chocolate, biscuits and coke for the upcoming self containment.

So you'll make it through the apocalypse but your teeth won't!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Have the media been told to pipe down on this ?
    Also this thread is no longer on "trending" on front page - I find that hard to believe

Soros must be funding a campaign now to keep it quiet... All part of his master plan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

South Korea tells the whole country to stay indoors this weekend.
    Sky News wrote:
    "Please stay at home and refrain from going outside and minimise contact with other people," said vice health minister Kim Kang-lip.

WHO's director-general Tedros Adhanom warned on Friday that that it would be a "big mistake" to switch from a public health strategy of containment to mitigation - where authorities accept the coronavirus is spreading.

The United Nations chief, Antonio Guterres, also urged governments to "do everything possible".

"We know containment is possible, but the window of opportunity is narrowing," he told reporters in New York.

I don't know how many repeats European leaders need to see before they actually lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Vaccines existed before 1918, but one could not be developed quickly with the medical technology of the time. Probably one can be developed more quickly now, but not quickly enough. Antibiotics would have saved many. The "Spanish" flu killed many young people by triggering an excessive immune system response. But there were health problems pre-existing then which are less common today.

Best guess presently is that a vaccine might exist by the end of this year. The story of how vaccines were invented (Jenner) is very interesting. Worth checking out if people haven't read it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement