Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus - Cheltenham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Croll

carq wrote: »
    From a punting perspective, what happens to:

1) Antepost bets
    2) exchange bets

?

I had a bet with Ladbrokes yesterday who are not NRNB On some races and they confirmed at head office for me it would be money back if the festival did not go ahead , that’s just one bookies though . I’d presume all exchange bets would be voided

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

carq wrote: »
    From a punting perspective, what happens to:

1) Antepost bets
    2) exchange bets

?

Exchange bets will be be as follows

If a race is officially abandoned, declared void or the Conditions of the race are altered all bets will be void. If a race is postponed, but run at the same venue within seven days of the original scheduled date, all bets will stand provided the Conditions of the race remain the same and the entries are not re-opened.

BumperD wrote: »
    You put forward the mass gatherings argument.....

That's the reason the match is off. I didn't put it forward, you said you couldn't get your head around it.
    It's leisure, thousands of folk travelling from an area with a decent number of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

Next few days will be key.
    Uk has had active cases for the last few weeks, i think you would need triple figures in uk in the next week for this to be called off.
    Actions of the FA could set a precedent so keep an eye on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Augeo wrote: »
    That's the reason the match is off. I didn't put it forward, you said you couldn't get your head around it.
    It's leisure, thousands of folk travelling from an area with a decent number of cases.

A case just entered through Dublin Airport from Italy. I’ll leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

.... mass gatherings are deemed risky.

What if you are a Protestant?

Hearing a lot of sense being talked in last 24 hrs by people who know their stuff, Delargy in particular
    Reason for cancellation price being so short on exchange likely to be big gamblers looking to cover some losses if the festival is cancelled
    He reckons its still far far more likely to go ahead than not
    A lot of people saying its events further down the line that are in far more serious threat, ie Olympics, Euro's and...yes, Aintree

I would still be fairly confident it will go ahead lads, barring of course an absolute Dustin Hoffman-esque Outbreak over this side between now and then

I’m going to Cheltenham but I can accept if things are bad they can just have it behind closed doors and it will be on TV at the very least. I couldn’t deal with no racing.

Would be odd watching on TV with no buzz no atmosphere but still be a damn site better than not watching atall
    Horses wouldn't give a feck either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Delargy in particular
    Reason for cancellation price being so short on exchange likely to be big gamblers looking to cover some losses if the festival is cancelled.

Are you sure someone as intelligent as Delargy said this?

Are you sure someone as intelligent as Delargy said this?

Yup
    Listen to first 20 mins of yesterdays podcast
    makes sense too when he explains it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Horses are used to running with **** all about have you not noticed attendances last few years.

Yup
    Listen to first 20 mins of yesterdays podcast
    makes sense too when he explains it

What losses will gamblers have if festival is cancelled

BumperD wrote: »
    A case just entered through Dublin Airport from Italy. I’ll leave it at that.

So it looks like the match being called off was a great call :)

Would be odd watching on TV with no buzz no atmosphere but still be a damn site better than not watching atall
    Horses wouldn't give a feck either

It won't go ahead without racegoers.

It won't go ahead without racegoers.

Says you.......

Says you.......

Time will tell.
    The event without ticket revenue and on course betting activity etc etc won't be a pocket liner so it won't go ahead unless the crowds are there, IMO of course.

Basic enough common sense though.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/51641957

"Unlike in Japan and Hong Kong where race fixtures have been held behind closed doors, it is understood Cheltenham would not take place without spectators if any restrictions were placed on large crowds gathering in one place - 250,000 racegoers are expected over the four days"

Not just me saying this so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    In the u.k. these last few days,schools and at least one g.p. practice have closed their doors.

This island has it's first confirmed case. It's three weeks out ,but if there is an increase in schools/g.p.s closing their doors, it would be reasonable to expect large sporting events will start being cancelled.

It's 11 days away not three weeks. And this is key, If Cheltenham was a month or more away I would be very concerned but there is no chance that this escalates enough in the next 11 days to warrant a cancellation.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    It's 11 days away not three weeks. And this is key, If Cheltenham was a month or more away I would be very concerned but there is no chance that this escalates enough in the next 11 days to warrant a cancellation.

Thats the only hope

FWIW, Tiger Rolls 3 in a row won't happen now, at least not this year
    Aintree ain't happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Pogue eile wrote: »

Fair enough on the 11 Days. I did start my post in regards to the developing U.K. situation in the last few days which would take us to over a forthnight out . No point in splitting hairs.

British Government/ Chief Medical Officer advice will dictate whether the meeting takes place or not. Look at how the Italian situation/response developed in the last 11 days or more.

I don't think the final call is with-in the gift of the B.H.A./Jockey club or sponsors any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    Fair enough on the 11 Days. I did start my post in regards to the developing U.K. situation in the last few days which would take us to over a forthnight out . No point in splitting hairs.

British Government/ Chief Medical Officer advice will dictate whether the meeting takes place or not. Look at how the Italian situation/response developed in the last 11 days or more.

I don't think the final call is with-in the gift of the B.H.A./Jockey club or sponsors any more.

The Italian situation is a bit of an outlier, they - in true Italian tradition - made a complete balls up of the whole situation and by the time they got their shi*t together it was too late. There have been plenty of isolated cases across Europe and none of them have escalated like in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I know the general consensus is that i wouldnt know value if it hit me in the face, but 1.75 on betfair about it going ahead on day 1 is huge value. all that is happening is lads are having a bet on it not going ahead just in case, as a hedge.

should be 1.2 at the most, even taking into consideration the possibilities of ground etc.

There is definatly worse shorties every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Croll

Definitely agree, cheltenham to go ahead is the banker of the meeting

aidankkk wrote: »
    I know the general consensus is that i wouldnt know value if it hit me in the face, but 1.75 on betfair about it going ahead on day 1 is huge value. all that is happening is lads are having a bet on it not going ahead just in case, as a hedge.

should be 1.2 at the most, even taking into consideration the possibilities of ground etc.

There is definatly worse shorties every day.

Pretty much exactly what Delargy said too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The UK has 19 confirmed cases. Unless that hits a few hundred by this Tuesday I would say racing is on. The Champions league is coming too, Madrid are heading to Liverpool, no cancellation there?

Stop scaremongering. The only person who can be certain is Kevin Blake, he seems to be the only person in authority on this.... and of course Ruby Walsh.:rolleyes:

Seemingly Ruby has been given out tips left right and centre. His big fancy?

Benie Des Dieux, wow Ruby baby thanks dude, stick your neck out there why don't ya?

Kevin Blake - Alleged senior advisor to the British Home Office and General Authority on Everything according to Raj.KB11.jpg

paddy-power-ruby.jpg Ruby Walsh former jockey turned bookies favourite. A racing enigma. Moustache optional.

Pretty much exactly what Delargy said too

What are they hedging against?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

If you have paid for flight and hotel up front you might lay Chjeltenham going ahead.
    If Cheltenham goes ahead you are happy to attend, and lose a few Euro on your bet.
    If Cheltenham is cancelled you collect a few Euro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Ante post bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Thats the only hope

FWIW, Tiger Rolls 3 in a row won't happen now, at least not this year
    Aintree ain't happening

Well there you have it. Cancel your flights and plans for Aintree. I thought you said you were done scaring people and would say no more on it and leave the thread. Wasn't too bothered by it before but it's starting to take the piss now.

How about we use this thread for factual, reported news only? Might be an idea.

• Advertisement

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Ante post bets.

They'll be refunded.

The lads are talking pipe. Big players won't be concerned about losing money on a hotel room.

Gambling addicts might be the ones backing No.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement