Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus - Cheltenham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

1.44 to go ahead
    3.05 not to go ahead

45k matched.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Racing only exists for gambling and bookmakers, paddy power and Guinness. So of course it could, but it won't. How many people would even watch racing without the social elements?

I would image he meant no crowds at the track on the days. Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Cheltenham is going ahead according to the wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Can I change my answer? Getting concerned....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Betfair 1/2 On; 15/8 Off
    204,061 traded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

Twitter, facebook, all forms of social media, and the click bait media, have this over hyped.
    Racing should go ahead but the sensationalist media would love to see if off.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

Case confirmed in the North, person had passed through Dublin from Northern Italy, it could be in trouble now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The only people who can call it off is the British Home Office. The BHA won't call anything off unless they are told to. There is far too much going on for it to be called off as it is.

One case in the north will not make any difference. There are seemingly 15 cases in the UK. Unless this escalates dramatically over the next few days I simply cannot see it happening.

By next week they will have to make a call on it. The amount of scaremongering that goes on, especially online. There are people on the virus thread on this site, the tripe they post, you can tell they are simply hoping things gets worse. People get off on the chaos of it.

I remember a poster ,over 3 weeks ago now ,boasting about the amount of facemasks he had bought in anticipation. The same poster is posting daily about the viral Armageddon that we're all coming to. Keyboard warrior chaos junckies. It is like he will disappointed if he doesn't get the opportunity to wear one around.

I am not trying to be blasé about the virus. It could happen that the dept of health advises against travelling over if it did get bad in the UK, we cannot tell for sure. But unless things capitulate in the next few days I really do not see it. Lets hope Kevin Blake keeps his mouth shut for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Cheltenham should go ahead unless it escalates quickly but ill be confident England can control any spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Betfair 1/2 On; 15/8 Off
    204,061 traded

1.56 - On
    2.74 - Off
    230k traded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Ruby talking behind closed doors festival instead of postponement

Moron... You referencing me above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Personally i think the scales are tipping towards all large events being cancelled, inclusive of Paddys day parade here.

Rog you started this shightfest of a thread. Rightly or wrongly. But no I was not mentioning you in my previous post. But if you want to go and have a look at the drivel that is getting posted in the Corona thread be my guest.

The best one I read was that an Israeli pharma company developed the virus and are hoping to use it as a bio-weapon…… some one else said that there is a 50,000 dead in China and that the Chinese Government were secretly burning bodies to cover it up..... Another poster said that the case in Sweden had travelled through Germany by train with no Italian connection and was estimating that 1 million are going to die in Europe as a result.

Ruby fooooooking Walsh should stick to whatever he sticks to. He will have no say on whether or not the festival goes ahead.

If anything the media is getting a lively opportunity to give the HSE a hammering. The gubberment is already getting blamed for not being prepared.

As it stands Rog as far as I am concerned if the festival is cancelled it is all KEVIN BLAKES fault.

Personally i think the scales are tipping towards all large events being cancelled, inclusive of Paddys day parade here.

Any tips for the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Any tips for the weekend?

No, waiting for Cheltenham myself, prefer to wait for the big grade 1's myself! Will let you know should it go ahead though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Moron.... My friend.... If you were a race, you'd be a handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

A seller :D

Earendil wrote: »
    A seller :D

Biggest gambling heat of the season for sure, trainers would be pulling the shight out of their best ones for a chance to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

I’d agree didn’t think it would get this bad when roger stuck it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

In the u.k. these last few days,schools and at least one g.p. practice have closed their doors.

This island has it's first confirmed case. It's three weeks out ,but if there is an increase in schools/g.p.s closing their doors, it would be reasonable to expect large sporting events will start being cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

I’ll give up my Mod duties if Cheltenham gets called off. That’s how confident I am it’ll be on. The social media scaremongering is gone way OTT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Motivator

There’s no point in this poll or this thread, what will happen will happen. What I’m most concerned about is they’re probably going to leave it as late as possible to make a call on it. From a selfish point of view, our free cancellation on our accommodation for the four days runs out next Friday so if it is cancelled it’s going to cost us, and a lot of people an awful lot of money. That’s purely from a selfish and financial point of view.

Obviously peoples safety is of paramount importance but Jesus I hope they make a definite call on it sooner rather than later and stick to it. What’s the possibility of day 1 going ahead and then people start dropping like flies? Imagine they quarantined 60,000 people and kept us at the track for two weeks? The bars would run dry after an hour.

What I stuggle with wrapping my head around us they cancelled the rugby in two weeks let continue to allow flights daily from Italy to Ireland

.... mass gatherings are deemed risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Will the bookies add extra virtual racing from Steepledowns if The Festival is cancelled?

Augeo wrote: »

How many gather in heathrow airport on a daily basis ....

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WicklowBravee

I’m going to Cheltenham but I can accept if things are bad they can just have it behind closed doors and it will be on TV at the very least. I couldn’t deal with no racing.

BumperD wrote: »
    What I stuggle with wrapping my head around us they cancelled the rugby in two weeks let continue to allow flights daily from Italy to Ireland
    BumperD wrote: »
    How many gather in heathrow airport on a daily basis ....

You were on about flights from Italy to Ireland.... Now You are on about Heathrow.

Total lockdowm would of course minimise the rate of infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

From a punting perspective, what happens to:

1) Antepost bets
    2) exchange bets

?

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »

You put forward the mass gatherings argument.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement