Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus - Cheltenham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Worst part is not knowing isn't it lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Worst part is not knowing isn't it lads

I've gone from slightly pessimistic, (but hoping i'm wrong), to thinking that the only way that Cheltenham can take place is behind closed doors.

Frost /rain or wind, the organisers will do everything to give the meeting a green light.

This is a developing public health crisis, and I can only imagine that a politician will err on the side of caution.We know the meeting is in the hands of Government advice now.

Still,I'm hoping against hope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think they are being cheeky having their soccer final at Wembley today, especially if they turn around tomorrow and say the racing is off. Your talking about fans from the 2nd and 3rd biggest city in England arriving to London and back in 1 day.

How they can do that today and change their tune tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Can this thread be deleted and banished to the boards gates of hell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Any gathering of the masses be it in horse racing or the local pub and as you now know people on boats,planes,trains have been carriers of this curse.I can only see it spreading sorry to say.

• Advertisement

greasepalm wrote: »
    Any gathering of the masses be it in horse racing or the local pub and as you now know people on boats,planes,trains have been carriers of this curse.I can only see it spreading sorry to say.

I feel your pain. Even though I'm posting my genuine thoughts on the thread topic, there is a voice in the back of my head screaming Shut up, Shut up..Shut the fcuk up.

EDIT: Sorry greasepalm,meant to quote Gringo.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Can this thread be deleted and banished to the boards gates of hell

Read above. I quoted the wrong post,lol. It was meant for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I'd be surprised if Cheltenham went ahead as normal as the cases will go up for the next week or two both here and the UK as the 14 days time period won't be reached until after the festival ends.

Loads of people are thinking that this virus is just the flu but its not, its far more than that. The flu doesn't close down a country's exports like China. If they called off the rugby here due to the fear of crowds, they will need to look at it again as 230k attended the festival last year and as there's a case in the area, that will change the story.

St Patricks day and marathons.

chinguetti wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if Cheltenham went ahead as normal as the cases will go up for the next week or two both here and the UK as the 14 days time period won't be reached until after the festival ends.

Loads of people are thinking that this virus is just the flu but its not, its far more than that. The flu doesn't close down a country's exports like China. If they called off the rugby here due to the fear of crowds, they will need to look at it again as 230k attended the festival last year and as there's a case in the area, that will change the story.

I take it you have no tips for the Lincoln?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

I’d say the odds on Cheltenham going ahead will lengthen considerably over next 24 hours sad to say it fook it anyway

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I take it you have no tips for the Lincoln?

Sorry, I've no interest in the flat until June.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Sorry, I've no interest in the flat until June.

Oh, but your interested in seeing Cheltenham called off?

I don't like "fair weather " fans if I am honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Expressing the opinion that Cheltenham could be cancelled does not make the person with that opinion an enemy of jump racing, or mean that person will be happy to see jump racing disrupted. Further up the thread opinions were expressed that social media was campaigning to blow the coronavirus threat out of proportion, hinting that people should keep quite.

I understand people will be upset if Cheltenham is called off, buy attacking posters to vent frustration makes no sense.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Oh, but your interested in seeing Cheltenham called off?

I don't like "fair weather " fans if I am honest.

Well that's ok if you think I'm a fair weather fan but its not the case and I don't need to prove otherwise to you or anyone. I have no interest in seeing Cheltenham called off as I'm probably going to have to cancel a holiday i'd booked around that time which leaves me out of pocket.

If you read my first post on this, i said 'as normal' but as I'm a fair weather guy, so what would all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,262 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

BumperD wrote: »
    I’d say the odds on Cheltenham going ahead will lengthen considerably over next 24 hours sad to say it fook it anyway

Was touching evens on betfair an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

1.8 Yes
    2.2 No
    1.1m traded

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

6 wrote: »
    Was touching evens on betfair an hour ago

I guess it could go ahead behind closed doors but that’s about it

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Aintree will also fall, will be a dark few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

BumperD wrote: »
    I guess it could go ahead behind closed doors but that’s about it

That would be the common sense approach. The pubs would do a roaring trade and it would be a lot better than the 'silence of the lambs' in 2001 (foot and mouth caused the abandonment of Cheltenham and Istabraq strolling home because there were sheep kept in the middle of Cheltenham racecourse)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Unlikely to go ahead. Leading bookmaker is asking traders to take work desktops (not just laptops) home in case they need to shut office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Just had a pretty decent bet on it not to go ahead. Sad but what can we do

dan786 wrote: »
    Unlikely to go ahead. Leading bookmaker is asking traders to take work desktops (not just laptops) home in case they need to shut office.

Which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,001 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Given that not a single race meeting in the UK has been cancelled, I would say the chances of it going ahead are actually pretty good.

They would only abandon the entire festival if it was deemed to be a serious risk to public health. Besides, cancelling a sporting event of this magnitude would open up a Pandora's box of nearly every sporting event in Britain having to be cancelled : how could it be "unsafe" to attend Cheltenham and yet safe to be in a 50,000 seater stadium watching a Premiership match? Hence I think they would be very reluctant to go down this route

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

5 million people use the tube in London on a daily basis. When’s that getting cancelled?

Its going to be a no win scenario as we will all have to go around with masks and gloves and maybe that wont be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,001 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Mig wrote: »
    5 million people use the tube in London on a daily basis. When’s that getting cancelled?

It's like saying the St.Patrick's Day parade will have to be cancelled. If that was the case, then the next step would be to seal off O'Connell Street and Grafton Street for the next few months as it would be too "unsafe" to be on them.

I'm not sure people are even thinking things through here. Cancelling major sporting events and festivals etc is only likely to greatly increase people's anxiety and unease, rather than do anything to reassure them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Cheltenham venue is much much bigger than Wembley stadium and there was 80k there today. There will be about 60k per day at Cheltenham. Each day will see mostly the same people rather than 300k unique people, which is how it's being made out to seem in the media.

The carabao cup final today at Wembley was never in doubt. There has not been anything serious yet from any relevant authority to suggest this won't go ahead.

... If you were to make a case for backing for the festival to go ahead.

• Advertisement

Wait for the figures to rise and they might not have much choice on this matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement