Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus - Cheltenham

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

If it even saves one life the right thing to do is call it off.

Cheltenham not important in that context. We can do it again next year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭kksaints

A slight worry for Cheltenham is that there are some suspected cases in Spain near Valencia that are linked to fans who attended the Atalanta vs Valencia Champions League match last Wednesday in Milan. Its possible that they might cancel major sporting events as a precaution just to prevent large gatherings of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Poll results are pessimistic
    Ah lads, I can't believe this is happening again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Still cant see if being cancelled unless there's strong guidance from The WHO or the British/Irish Governments stating all travel should be restricted.

Right now, as things currently stand, there's absolutely no risk of this. Way too much being made of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Croll

Slattsy wrote: »
    Still cant see if being cancelled unless there's strong guidance from The WHO or the British/Irish Governments stating all travel should be restricted.

Right now, as things currently stand, there's absolutely no risk of this. Way too much being made of this.
    Ireland Italy rugby must be cancelled anyways?

But slattsy if its cancelled then all Glenloe bets would be voided rather than losers;)

• Advertisement

How depressing would it be in work that Tuesday at 1pm, no festival, holidays cancelled.............

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

Unless there is a major outbreak of cases in or near the cheltenham area I cant see the problem.
    Premier league games on every weekend and no mention of curtailing.
    We would have to see these been postponed first before I would worry about cheltenham.

Premier league games are called off all the time, its far more fluid
    This isn't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I am agreeing with this. So much scaremongering goes on.

The rugger cancelation makes sense. Italy looks to have an issue.

If you go on the main forum the amount of panic inducing waffle getting spewed about. Some posters get off on it.

I have already seen a post in this thread trying to hold the festival responsible for "saving lives". Troll off there.

Unless the UK home office intervenes I cannot see the BHA calling it off, there is too many stakeholders affected by what could easily be a media frenzy for a few weeks.

How many of these teenage ski trips have tested positive?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

How depressing would it be in work that Tuesday at 1pm, no festival, holidays cancelled.............

Crowds could be affected regardless.

It’s not so much cancelling the festival. Some People will start to read into the scaremongering and stop attending masses of large people if the cases popping up over Europe continue.

Once a few cases are confirmed in Ireland and UK that’ll hit the crowds.

Not nice to see as can’t let it dictate our lives but better than spreading the virus at a packed event like cheltenham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Croll

Better start looking in to some tweed face masks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Think you can lay it at 7/4 on betfair. Easy money for you if your analysis is correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

"apparently", they have a contingency to reschedule: I heard these dates mentioned 14th or 21st April

“In the event that the Cheltenham Festival was postponed, either in its entirety or in part for any reason, there are contingencies already in place to re-stage it later in the season,” he said.

chancer007 wrote: »
    "apparently", they have a contingency to reschedule: I heard these dates mentioned 14th or 21st April

“In the event that the Cheltenham Festival was postponed, either in its entirety or in part for any reason, there are contingencies already in place to re-stage it later in the season,” he said.

Nonsense! Do they think it will stick around for a few weeks and just go away by April?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

chancer007 wrote: »

If it's bad enough to cancel on the original dates, not a hope will everything be ok by the 14th April.
    The fact that the festival starts in 13 days time could actually be its saving grace.

On thing I keep thinking to keep me positive is that I have not heard so much as a whisper about the Tube being closed, schools, colleges etc so maybe, just maybe, we are over thinking this???
    5m a week use the underground in London alone, far more potent threat than Cheltenham

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

tucker1971 wrote: »
    Unless there is a major outbreak of cases in or near the cheltenham area I cant see the problem.
    Premier league games on every weekend and no mention of curtailing.
    We would have to see these been postponed first before I would worry about cheltenham.

It’s not the cheltenham area the concern lies with though.its all the people traveling to cheltenham from all over the place and congregating in one area. If one of them people had corona it would spread from there.
    The next week will tell a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

It’s not the cheltenham area the concern lies with though.its all the people traveling to cheltenham from all over the place and congregating in one area. If one of them people had corona it would spread from there.

How will this affect "the plan"? Should we keep the faith?
    I lumped on aul Percypops based on your winky confidence buddy. Thousands with no NRNB safety net. Can the Genius Kelly cure the virus before GC Friday?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If cheltenham goes ahead the plan is set in stone.
    All systems are go.
    GO ON THE PERCY

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'm gonna Gareth Bale from this thread, yer all depressing the bejaysis out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭MaxBet

Premier league games are called off all the time, its far more fluid
    This isn't

How often is a game called off ?

Will you have a sit down and stop wetting yourself . If it’s on it’s on , if it’s off you’ll get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    € 1,579 traded. If that grows overnight.....
    When I looked at Betfair yesterday it was Euro 1,579 traded on the Cheltenham to go ahead market.
    Today the amount traded to date is Euro 39,025: Yes 1.42 (2/5), No 3.1 (85/40)

I am saying no more on the topic
    My pessimism seems to be pissing a lot of ye off
    Apologies
    I hope to f**k i am wrong
    I really do
    I won't say another word

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

On the Betfair Cheltenham forum.
    "Biggest certainty of the festival is Paddy Power face masks. You read it here first." :)

Mig...have a word with whoever IS Mod here and close this baby down!
    Festival goes ahead
    feck the naysayers! (incl meself!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Can it go on behind closed doors ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Can it go on behind closed doors ?

Racing only exists for gambling and bookmakers, paddy power and Guinness. So of course it could, but it won't. How many people would even watch racing without the social elements?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Mod Note: Thread has been closed. Stop posting in it. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Ireland vs Italy game is off. Festival has to be an risk now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement