Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    No idea what point if signing Mathewson again when you could move someone from another province to get game time.

Because maybe those players don't want to move? Why would Blade move from Connacht where's he's fighting for a starting spot to be a backup to Cooney, and none of the Munster or young Leinster lads are really capable as a short term stop gap.

Mathewson's a great player and has proved he's more than capable as a backup, and with Cooney in the 23 for Ireland now it's clear Ulster need a proper backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ulster brought the wrong scrum half in to the Academy when the rejected Rhys O'Donnell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

bilston wrote: »

Finlay is showing promise for the U20s, but he is 19, he isn't going to be a consideration for at least another year or so.

He will be very good to have around for Finley’s development too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I don't particularly believe that he'll be good for the development of the younger guys, but it's a decent signing.

But what's he going to do for the next six months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Mathewson is better.

Sorry as I said many times, if so good why can he not get a contract with any other club? His family never moved to Ireland last interview I seen and he has played all over the world

Simple reason is he is able average at best, just because he threw one silly pass MUNSTER fans think he is clad

Casey is class, potential to be a lot better than Mathewson ever was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Sorry as I said many times, if so good why can he not get a contract with any other club? His family never moved to Ireland last interview I seen and he has played all over the world

Simple reason is he is able average at best, just because he threw one silly pass MUNSTER fans think he is clad

Has he played a European game?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Two different provinces will have him on the books, he must be doing something right. I have no idea why he's not under contract now, it could be for any number of reasons.

Mathewson was Munster's best nine last year. If you think he's rated because of one quarterback pass then I can't help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Thought that might happen.

It will be "interesting" to see how this develops.

I know Italian fans don't travel in th same numbers as Irish, English, French etc but there will probably be a couple of thousand at least coming over the for the 6Ns game in two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

How many cases of Corona Virus have there actually been in Italy?

I don't think the general seriousness of Corona Virus has been overstated. It is very serious. It may be no more dangerous than the regular flu, but if we have the chance to avoid another illness as serious as the flu we should move mountains.

That said, it seems like this might be an overreaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

errlloyd wrote: »

I don't think the general seriousness of Corona Virus has been overstated. It is very serious. It may be no more dangerous than the regular flu, but if we have the chance to avoid another illness as serious as the flu we should move mountains.

5 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    5 deaths

Fair enough. That's loads. Ignore me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's not really an overreaction. The fataility rate isn't as high as the likes of SARS but the level of infection is vastly higher. There are 10 times the number of cases identified of Coronavirus than there were of SARS, for context. It's highly contagious compared to other outbreaks in recent times. Italy has the third highest number of identified cases in the world which is a good enough reason for them to go into lockdown.

I would imagine there will be attempts to dissuade Italian fans to travel although I'd imagine not many of them will be making the trip now anyway for the 6N.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭jacothelad

5 dead so far and hundreds with the virus.

jacothelad wrote: »
    5 dead so far and hundreds with the virus.

6 deaths now

229 cases and 7 deaths, but most of that seems to have happened in the last few days hence the concern.

Buer wrote: »
    It's not really an overreaction. The fataility rate isn't as high as the likes of SARS but the level of infection is vastly higher. There are 10 times the number of cases identified of Coronavirus than there were of SARS, for context. It's highly contagious compared to other outbreaks in recent times. Italy has the third highest number of identified cases in the world which is a good enough reason for them to go into lockdown.

I would imagine there will be attempts to dissuade Italian fans to travel although I'd imagine not many of them will be making the trip now anyway for the 6N.

We will see how it develops but there might be consequences for the 6Ns game against Italy.

Foot and Mouth saw the postponement of 3 games back in 2001 and that was affecting cows!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote: »
    We will see how it develops but there might be consequences for the 6Ns game against Italy.

Foot and Mouth saw the postponement of 3 games back in 2001 and that was affecting cows!!

Commentary on radio from health professionals this morning suggested the Italian game probably won't be under threat. They reckon that it's events 4-6 weeks down the line that are at a greater risk. If and when there's a case detected in Ireland, then measures will be taken to avoid spread of any virus but until then, they'll just act in an advisory capacity and work to educate people on prevention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Just beat me to it. Hopefully, he can really help Lewis and Doak develop - and maybe Shanahan, if it's not too late for him.

I do like that we're being proactive in bringing in players who can help our younger talents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Just beat me to it. Hopefully, he can really help Lewis and Doak develop - and maybe Shanahan, if it's not too late for him.

I do like that we're being proactive in bringing in players who can help our younger talents.
    That Lewis chap doesn't seem to have much to learn. Quality player.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That Lewis chap doesn't seem to have much to learn. Quality player.

Frig, that's impressive.

Frig, that's impressive.
    What you would call next level scrum-halfery. :). That English player surely didn't know what hit him. Just floored from behind.

I've watched most of their matches now and he hasn't failed to impress me. Has all the bits needed and a bit more besides. Really hope he makes it.

I see Toby Booth us taking over at Ospreys, so presumably Dwayne Peel is staying.

Also, Dan Tuohy elaborated on his "rugby is rotten to the core" comment.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/dan-tuohy-explains-rotten-to-the-core-comments-1.4183546?mode=amp

Also, Dan Tuohy elaborated on his "rugby is rotten to the core" comment.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/dan-tuohy-explains-rotten-to-the-core-comments-1.4183546?mode=amp
    The RFU in particular it seems.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The RFU in particular it seems.

Saracens and the RFU taking money off the second tier teams seems to be it.

2 ppl dead in France from cov19

Implication for Euro qf

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    2 ppl dead in France from cov19

Implication for Euro qf

I think sport will be going on the back burner for a few months.

It might even stop Liverpool and winning the Premier League!

• Advertisement

Advertisement