Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

He has been consistently second choice his whole career.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Madigan will be decent cover, if the pay is in line with his current status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I wish him well

Always one of the most enjoyable player to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I wish him well

Always one of the most enjoyable player to watch

One year Deal only. When might he make his debut? 2020 or 2021?

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    One year Deal only. When might he make his debut? 2020 or 2021?

I’m aware 1 year

He is still contracted to Bristol till end of this season which would mean normally his contract would be up in June. Will that chnage with virus I have no idea

Probably a wider question? If the season goes on and contract are finished at what would normally be end of season can the players walk away while it is still part of the season???

Madigan playing in Pro14 playoffs

I would expecy he took a huge wage cut to move to Ulster by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

You're being very optimistic. Madigan's contribution in the Premiership this season amounts to three bench appearances. If a 31 year old player with that statistic not called Ian Madigan was signed by Ulster we would all be bemused.

I could look past not working out at one club (family reasons, "fit" in the squad, management decisions etc) but two clubs is a red flag.

At least it's just a one year prove yourself deal so Ulster won't have the same buyer's remorse as Bristol if it doesn't work out.

Bingo. Some rewriting of history here. His start in Bordeaux did not go well. He had become clear second choice already by October. His start in Bristol is unquantifiable as it was in a lower league. He then lost the starting job after Christmas last season.

He has always been a very talented player but has always struggled to put it all together to be a solid outhalf. He would do something great but would it was a guarantee that he'd make a couple of big errors at some point. The fact is that Bristol decided to invest game time in a 19 year old ahead of Madigan this season pushing him down to 3rd choice.

I really hope he's there purely as a utility option as I'd much prefer to see what Johnston could do outside Mathewson and learn from him. The fact is that he hasn't played anywhere outside of outhalf in years though. He hasn't played full back in years and only once at centre since leaving Leinster. So I'd have doubts about him coming back as a utility option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

While Madigan was definitely second choice to Sheedy (who's pretty good, in fairness), I think there must have been something else going on there for him to be so completely ostracised at Bristol.

As he is Irish I would expect the comments above^^^

If he was from NZ we would have pages of thread about how incredible he is

Mathewson good example, a journey man who no club outside Ireland has any interest in but listening to posts on here he is the best 9 in Ireland....

I wish him well and I expect him to do very well

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Mathewson good example, a journey man who no club outside Ireland has any interest in but listening to posts on here he is the best 9 in Ireland....

Apparently making comments based on actual gametime equates to not wishing him well now? I hope it works out for all parties, that hardly needs to be said.

It's funny you bring up Mathewson, who played more for Munster this year than Madigan has for Bristol.

While Madigan was definitely second choice to Sheedy (who's pretty good, in fairness), I think there must have been something else going on there for him to be so completely ostracised at Bristol.

Talk to the Premiership fans and Madigan was always a solid player for Bristol. He lost his place to Sheedy but was still in the squad and came on circa 60 mins in most games. Got a couple of big kicks etc last year to win games

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/ian-madigan-the-500k-a-year-a-league-player/

To not even give him a minute of first team rugby suggests something else going on

• Advertisement

Apparently making comments based on actual gametime equates to not wishing him well now? I hope it works out for all parties, that hardly needs to be said.

It's funny you bring up Mathewson, who played more for Munster this year than Madigan has for Bristol.

Sorry I missed the part when you wished him well?

Im just making a point, Irish fans seem to accept very average players if they are from NZ. But an Irish player will get a lot harder criticise for very little reason except they are Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

To not even give him a minute of first team rugby suggests something else going on

Or maybe he just couldn't make the shirt his at Bristol for the same reason he's never been able to do it at any top flight club.

Ulster will be looking for the same from him that he gave to Bristol. He'll be a great squad member and provide competition across multiple positions. He's a good signing for that reason, can't imagine there's a huge outlay involved there either

Sorry I missed the part when you wished him well?

Im just making a point, Irish fans seem to accept very average players if they are from NZ. But an Irish player will get a lot harder criticise for very little reason except they are Irish

Do I need to unequivocally state I wish him well? I'd like to think that's a given.

You're bigging him up because he's Ian Madigan. That's grand. I'm making the point that he's lost his place at two clubs and has barely played in the Premiership this season. I'd hardly expect him to make a great impact and the one year contract reflects this.

Do I need to unequivocally state I wish him well? I'd like to think that's a given.

You're bigging him up because he's Ian Madigan. That's grand. I'm making the point that he's lost his place at two clubs and has barely played in the Premiership this season. I'd hardly expect him to make a great impact and the one year contract reflects this.

Why do you hate Madigan so much?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I agree with Thomond and I don't hate Madigan at all.

Madigan imo seemed to get a lot of praise from some sections for doing ok to good. He had a couple of flashy moments that looked like he might become a great player, the chip from in our goal area against Glasgow being one, but he never backed any of these up in the medium or long term. I personally would say in the short term either.

MOC got stick for picking Gopperth over him but I always felt it was the right choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I don't think you can compare Mathewson and Madigan. One is a solid pro who consistently did a good job wherever he played. The other is an extremely talented player who has never lived up to his potential and is consistent with his inconsistency.

You laugh at posters like me who said Mathewson was the best halfback in Ireland. Ok, apart from Cooney, name a 9 who was in better than Mathewson over the past couple of seasons.

You make fun of kiwi journeymen yet Madigan, for all his obvious talent, couldn't nail down the Leinster 10 jersey ahead of a kiwi journeyman.

I think Madigan is good signing. He will provide experience and cover behind the starters. Just like Mathewson.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I don't think you can compare Mathewson and Madigan. One is a solid pro who consistently did a good job wherever he played. The other is an extremely talented player who has never lived up to his potential and is consistent with his inconsistency.

You laugh at posters like me who said Mathewson was the best halfback in Ireland. Ok, apart from Cooney, name a 9 who was in better than Mathewson over the past couple of seasons.

You make fun of kiwi journeymen yet Madigan, for all his obvious talent, couldn't nail down the Leinster 10 jersey ahead of a kiwi journeyman.

I think Madigan is good signing. He will provide experience and cover behind the starters. Just like Mathewson.

When did I make fun of "kiwi journeymen"?

I have said all along Mathewson is not as good as people make out, how is that making fun of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

When did I make fun of "kiwi journeymen"?

I have said all along Mathewson is not as good as people make out, how is that making fun of him?

Ok, "making fun of" was the wrong choice of words. Maybe I could of said "deride" or "look down on". Interesting that that was the only part of my post you commented on. I guess that was because the rest of it was spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He lost his place to Sheedy but was still in the squad and came on circa 60 mins in most games.

That's not true. His 3 sub appearances this season amount to a total of 18 minutes. He was an unused sub a couple of weeks ago. After he lost his starting spot last season, he only got 20 minutes from the bench if someone was injured.

I would say he has been desperate to get out of Bristol since the early part of this season. He has his money in the bank now and has very few miles on the clock for someone that has been injury free and on the scene for a decade. It's a tidy little bonus for him to get a contract back in Ireland at 31. He's good enough to earn himself a couple of more years there and can walk away at 33 or 34 with a very profitable career.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Yea, whatever else can be said about Madigan (and I was always a fan), you have to seriously credit the financial success he's made of his career compared to the consistent level of his performances.

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Ok, "making fun of" was the wrong choice of words. Maybe I could of said "deride" or "look down on". Interesting that that was the only part of my post you commented on. I guess that was because the rest of it was spot on.

None of it was right

He is an average player, just look at his career before and since he arrived in Ireland. If calling him an average player is looking down on him then I’m guilty

Casey is far superior and by the looks of it the Finlay for Ulster is as well.

In terms of who was better last season, McGrath and Cooney where superior, Blade could throw his hat into the ring as well.

EJp1oFDXsAAsUHN.jpg

Just look at that pashun.

EJp1oFDXsAAsUHN.jpg

Will be kissing the Ulster badge next season :-)

Will be kissing the Ulster badge next season :-)

More's the pity. I'd have him on the Munster books next season instead of Cronin or McCarthy.

Mathewson I assume will be a replacement for Shanahan. That leaves Cooney, Mathewson and Stewart. Graham Curtis is in Year 3 of the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

More's the pity. I'd have him on the Munster books next season instead of Cronin or McCarthy.

Mathewson I assume will be a replacement for Shanahan. That leaves Cooney, Mathewson and Stewart. Graham Curtis is in Year 3 of the academy.

I suspect the pecking order will be Cooney, Matthewson, Shanahan. Shanahan has been consistently preferred to Stewart who might be off at the end of the season. I see Matthewson as a sort of stopgap while Finaly or Doak develop.

EJp1oFDXsAAsUHN.jpg

I get bad pashun like that after I eat a burrito...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

EJp1oFDXsAAsUHN.jpg

That's heartburn....:D

jacothelad wrote: »
    That's heartburn....:D

Or he is listening to James blunt and it’s tugging on his heart strings

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

EJp1oFDXsAAsUHN.jpg

Looks more like indigestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Talk to the Premiership fans and Madigan was always a solid player for Bristol. He lost his place to Sheedy but was still in the squad and came on circa 60 mins in most games. Got a couple of big kicks etc last year to win games

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/ian-madigan-the-500k-a-year-a-league-player/

He did an interview on OTB this week, obviously he's giving his version of events but he made it sound like he was being managed out. They knew Sheedy was the up and coming guy so decided to invest in him, and wanted Madigan off the books to free up salary cap so left him under no illusions.

It's a results business so if they thought Madigan gave them the best chance to win games they would have played him I guess but I don't think he was given a fair shake this season either.

Advertisement