Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

They both did! But actually, Touhy left under Allen Clarke. That's no surprise either.

To be fair a lot of supporters were on the verge of moving on under the tutelage of Clarke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    The coaching ticket at that time set us back quite a few years.

IRFU imposition of Les Kiss one of the worst ever decisions they’ve made.

Kiss did get unlucky to a certain extent with injuries, retirements and expulsions.

Give me a lucky coach any day of the week though

We've some cracking prospects in that Ireland U20 side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

bilston wrote: »
    We've some cracking prospects in that Ireland U20 side.

I was watching from a very dodgy screen and kept mistaking players for one another, but it looked like McCann had a much improved game? Carried more effectively and kept busy in defence.

I was watching from a very dodgy screen and kept mistaking players for one another, but it looked like McCann had a much improved game? Carried more effectively and kept busy in defence.

Yeah, carried well, showed his offloading game again, although he has done that throughout. He does the dirty work too. Man of the match as well.

Hyde looks good. First time I've really seen him play.

The team in general played some great stuff.

The Bel Tel podcast was saying that Aaron Sexton may get a run in the last couple of games if he is fit. Mind you Smith and McIlroy both played well tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

Yeah, carried well, showed his offloading game again, although he has done that throughout. He does the dirty work too. Man of the match as well.

Hyde looks good. First time I've really seen him play.

The team in general played some great stuff.

The Bel Tel podcast was saying that Aaron Sexton may get a run in the last couple of games if he is fit. Mind you Smith and McIlroy both played well tonight.

First half of rugby was some of the best I've seen this season. Really enjoyable! (highly recommend watching the first half if you have an opportunity)

All the Ulster lads showed promise!

Really rated Finlay at scrum half, picking the right players charging the game line.

McCann could really fill a gap at Blindside for us! Thought he dipped a little in second half, understandable as he was everywhere in the first half.

Mckee (Now of Leinster) looked good also, didnt see enough of Stewart.

launish116 wrote: »
    First half of rugby was some of the best I've seen this season. Really enjoyable! (highly recommend watching the first half if you have an opportunity)

All the Ulster lads showed promise!

Really rated Finlay at scrum half, picking the right players charging the game line.

McCann could really fill a gap at Blindside for us! Thought he dipped a little in second half, understandable as he was everywhere in the first half.

Mckee (Now of Leinster) looked good also, didnt see enough of Stewart.

To be fair McCann stepped up when England had a purple patch in the second half with a couple of turnovers.

But you're right, the first half was as impressive as I've seen from an Irish U20 team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

Really is understated how good McCann is and could become for Ulster! He has a very well rounded game, both in attack and defence. Would love to see him in a backrow with a proper ball carrying 8.

Think it’s fair to say all the Ulster players played well! Definitely looking forward to hopefully seeing them bring that form into some senior appearances in near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

I would be surprised if todays match goes ahead. Weather is shocking. Very high winds too.

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I would be surprised if todays match goes ahead. Weather is shocking. Very high winds too.

It's to dry up this afternoon. Depends on the pitch I suppose. Hopefully it will be ok.

It does beg the question of what happens if the game is postponed. Does it get rearranged for tomorrow? It's not exactly a quick 1 hour flight across the Irish Sea for the Cheetahs to get here for a rearrangement!

• Advertisement

launish116 wrote: »
    Really is understated how good McCann is and could become for Ulster! He has a very well rounded game, both in attack and defence. Would love to see him in a backrow with a proper ball carrying 8.

Think it’s fair to say all the Ulster players played well! Definitely looking forward to hopefully seeing them bring that form into some senior appearances in near future.

They've all done well, let's not forget Sexton is part of this year group as well. It's a decent year for Ulster.

Finlay has been the biggest plus for me. While I knew the name he probably didn't come in with the same reputation as the likes of Stewart, McCann and McIlroy, but he looks a really good player.

It's to dry up this afternoon. Depends on the pitch I suppose. Hopefully it will be ok.

It does beg the question of what happens if the game is postponed. Does it get rearranged for tomorrow? It's not exactly a quick 1 hour flight across the Irish Sea for the Cheetahs to get here for a rearrangement!

Not sure. Id say they would be more worried about the wind as it puts punters at risk.

They might try and squeeze it in the next time the cheetah's are up north?

They've all done well, let's not forget Sexton is part of this year group as well. It's a decent year for Ulster.

Finlay has been the biggest plus for me. While I knew the name he probably didn't come in with the same reputation as the likes of Stewart, McCann and McIlroy, but he looks a really good player.

I agree on Finlay. Finally we might see a top class scrum half from Ulster.

Is sexton ruled out of u20 because of age or because of his involvement with 7's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I agree on Finlay. Finally we might see a top class scrum half from Ulster.

Is sexton ruled out of u20 because of age or because of his involvement with 7's?

7's..although he may return for JWC.. He has been injured and still is AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The Cheetahs have a very good scrum.....could be a long night if Ulster can't hold their own.

Great consistency and intensity in that build up. More of that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Bill Johnston m.o.t.m. Had a great game is poor conditions. He definitely has a lot of talent.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Bill Johnston m.o.t.m. Had a great game is poor conditions. He definitely has a lot of talent.

The more game time he gets the better he's playing. Great to have him. If he keeps progressing he could make the extended training group for Ireland next 6N

• Administrators Posts: 53,468 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Alby Mathewson incoming?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Scythica

Alby Mathewson incoming?

just came to say this too!

good bit of business if so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Alby Mathewson incoming?

Don’t say it’s true, awful move by Ulster

I have seen a few posts on other forums so it looks like it, stupid move

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Alby Mathewson incoming?

Another one being foisted on your by the IRFU?

No idea why IRFU would think this is a good move, Mathewson was moved on from Munster because he was blocking young 9's, thecurrent U20 9 looks a great prospect and they have just moved Mathewson to block him, its a crazy move

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    No idea why IRFU would think this is a good move, Mathewson was moved on from Munster because he was blocking young 9's, thecurrent U20 9 looks a great prospect and they have just moved Mathewson to block him, its a crazy move

You need more than Cooney and an U20s scrum half in a squad. Shanahan will be 27 in the summer and is not an Ireland prospect. Swapping him for Mathewson doesn't change anything.

Give me Pienaar or give me death.

Yea something needed done. Cooney is likely to be away with Ireland over the next couple of years and Shanahan really is very poor. Rumour on uafc is that Jonny Stewart, our only academy 9, might be away at the end of the year and it says a lot that he's gotten such little game time this year anyway. Below that there is Finlay, who hasn't made the academy yet and was on the bench behind a schoolboy for the A's. We were going to be in serious trouble sooner or later and this gives us some time for Doak, Finlay, or maybe another kid to develop.

If we look over all the provinces Ireland has option. Connacht have two excellent 9's pushing for starting role and not sure what backup is?

Leinster have two starter 9's and Sullivan

Munster have Murray, McCarthy, Casey and Cronin

No idea what point if signing Mathewson again when you could move someone from another province to get game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If we look over all the provinces Ireland has option. Connacht have two excellent 9's pushing for starting role and not sure what backup is?

Leinster have two starter 9's and Sullivan

Munster have Murray, McCarthy, Casey and Cronin

No idea what point if signing Mathewson again when you could move someone from another province to get game time.

Mathewson is better.

Holding back who? Shanahan? Sorry, but he isn't good enough to be a back up 9 to Cooney.

Finlay is showing promise for the U20s, but he is 19, he isn't going to be a consideration for at least another year or so.

Personally I think this is a really good move.

It will also help the likes of Bill Johnston and Billy Burns at 10 when Cooney is with Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Delighted for Mathewson. I was gutted when he was released by Munster. He was easily the best halfback they had. He is good player and will be a big asset for Ulster. Shanahan isn't good enough and the young halfbacks will learn a lot from him.

Advertisement