Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Over a third of the matchday squads being under 25 is massive, fair enough in the pro14 it's a bit of a different ball game but at a higher level that's unreal. Just shows the foundation that's there to build off of

• Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

It'd be interesting to play the prediction game with how far they'll go. Have something to do this evening but might post later.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It'd be interesting to play the prediction game with how far they'll go. Have something to do this evening but might post later.

I'll make one sort of prediction, the more I see of Hume the more at this level the more I think he is a real prospect for us. His footwork and his footballing skills are excellent. He is a very natural passer of the ball as well.

At school he was outstanding, but then seemed to dip a bit with the Irish 20s, but this season, when he has played, he has started to look the player I always thought he could become.

Him and Moore could make a nice combo in the years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I'll give it a go. Just a sentence or two about each. Where they're at and where i see their future going.

U25's

Ross Kane: If he could sort out his fitness and injury problems, he'll hang around the squad for most of his career but never first choice. Don't think he's likely to be anything more than a decent backup.
    Billy Burns: Didn't realise he was that young, already made the Ireland squad although I see him falling out of rotation in the relatively near future. Too many good Leinster and Munster boys coming through. Could be a really important player for ulster for a long time. Still loads to improve on - kicking, running game etc.

U24's
    Kieran Treadwell: Might not pick up any more caps with the talent coming through down south, but he's really grown into a great player for us this year after improving his carrying and consistency. Long future with us hopefully.
    David O'Connor: He'll stay with Ulster until we can steal another 2nd row from Leinster or (less likely) produce one of our own. Doubt he'll do as well as his brother, but tbf to him, he seems to be ahead of the academy boys Dalton and Regan (what's even going on with them?)
    Eric O'Sullivan: I think he'll always be considered too small for international rugby and his scrummaging certainly isn't up to that level, but he's a fantastic bench option for us right now, and will likely be a great starter down the line.
    Nick Timoney: Will he every be a starter for us? I'm not sure, but he's a great versatile squad player to have. Has the occasional game where you're delighted to have him, but he's inconsistent and lacks a good rugby brain. By the time Reidy and Murphy are done with Ulster, I suspect younger players will have leapfrogged him in the pecking order.
    Greg Jones: Honestly don't know much about him, hasn't stood out and doesn't seem to be getting many chances. Don't think he'll ever become a starter for us, but will stay around the squad as we're not exactly overflowing with backrow talent.

U23
    Bill Johnston: Munster were happy enough to release him from his contract and they preferred Hanrahan, Bleyendal & co. The thinking was probably that his career had stalled, he was spending too much time injured, and Munster had too many 10's with three exciting young talents who will need game time down the road. Ulster were obviously in a position to offer him plenty of minutes and I think he's gone from strength to strength for us. It'll be good to have Johnston and Burns pushing each other for the starting jersey, and I reckon Johnston may win the battle somewhere down the line.
    Rob Lyttle: Incredibly talented and a joy to watch, but just spends too much time injured. One of the most natural players in the squad and he always beats the first man - but don't think he has the talent to overcome his size disadvantage at international level. I actually see him being leapfrogged by other players for Ulster as his injuries take a toll, but he'd be a fantastic squad option to have at wing and fullback if he can stay healthy.
    Adam McBurney: Too small for higher honours but could be a decent player for us for a long time if he cuts the stupid penalties out. And he really really needs to do just that, because his carelessness is a game changer right now. Tom Stewart should win his jersey quick enough once he progresses to senior rugby.
    Jacob Stockdale: His form has taken a dive on a misfiring Ireland squad and is a popular fall-guy among the jealous southerners, but his talent is undeniable. Is it just be or has he lost his change of pace this year? He never had great top end speed but his acceleration used to be better. Key player for our success as he almost dragged ulster through the group stages himself last year.

U22
    Jack Regan: Not really sure he's got much of a future with us given his lack of game time to date, not like we've got an abundance of great options anyway.
    Robert Baloucoune: Already in the Ireland sqaud, just like we all predicted. If he can improve his defensive frailties, he will be destined for higher honours. Honestly my favourite player, I love how quick he's turned his career around. Went from despairing that some lad who played 7's got taken into the academy as players like Bowe and Trimble were leaving, to being outraged that he hasn't picked up his first cap. I reckon he'll make the 14 jersey his own for a number of years.

U21
    Angus Curtis: Unlucky injury for the lad just as he was beginning to see more game time. I see him as a 10/12 hybrid like Olding, but he's about half as talented and I don't see him ever making either position his own with us given our other options. Hope he sticks with us though.
    James Hume: Thought he went very under the radar on a bad Ireland u20 team, but he's always had the intangibles to make it. I think he'll be a main centre option for us as McCloskey and Marshall wind down. He's really impressed me with his feet before contact and the meters he makes after it. His passing can be wild and Luke Mashall-esque, and his defence needs to be much improved to ever play for Ireland. I expect him to be a great player for us though.
    Johnny Stewart: Rumour that he might be leaving. Gotten very little game time over shanahan which says a lot, and we've just signed another 9. Finlay and Doak would probably be replacing him soon enough anyway.
    Mike Lowry: Really fun to watch, but I do wonder about the length of his career with his size and fearless style of play. Would love to see him carve out a career because he's just so talented. Stick him at 9.
    Tom O'Toole: Surprise call up to the Ireland squad which was great to see. He'll be really impotant for Ulster as Marty Moore winds down.

U20
    Ethan McIlroy: Not the biggest but very strong in contact for his size and hits hard. Really fun to watch - great feet and loves offloading out of contact. Think he'll jump ahead of Lyttle, Lowry and Kernohan and push for a starting spot after a few years.
    Azur Allison: Possibly a future starter. Really talented but I think he'll need to improve the gritty part of his game to become a more effective backrower at the higher level.
    Stewart Moore: Probably one of the most talented players in the squad imo and great all-round prospect. Got a lot of praise from players and coaches during pre-season last year, and Luke Marshall said he's the most talented back he's seen come through the schools system in Ulster. Think he'll nail down the 13 jersey in a few years, and he'll pick up caps down the line as well.
    Angus Kernohan: Don't think his prospects at Ulster are great but might be able to make a career here due to the fact our backs are made of chocolate. Too many players who are a cut above him in the squad right now, and he'll have to compete with younger lads coming into the academy.

I'll give it a go. Just a sentence or two about each. Where they're at and where i see their future going.

U25's

Ross Kane: If he could sort out his fitness and injury problems, he'll hang around the squad for most of his career but never first choice. Don't think he's likely to be anything more than a decent backup.
    Billy Burns: Didn't realise he was that young, already made the Ireland squad although I see him falling out of rotation in the relatively near future. Too many good Leinster and Munster boys coming through. Could be a really important player for ulster for a long time. Still loads to improve on - kicking, running game etc.

U24's
    Kieran Treadwell: Might not pick up any more caps with the talent coming through down south, but he's really grown into a great player for us this year after improving his carrying and consistency. Long future with us hopefully.
    David O'Connor: He'll stay with Ulster until we can steal another 2nd row from Leinster or (less likely) produce one of our own. Doubt he'll do as well as his brother, but tbf to him, he seems to be ahead of the academy boys Dalton and Regan (what's even going on with them?)
    Eric O'Sullivan: I think he'll always be considered too small for international rugby and his scrummaging certainly isn't up to that level, but he's a fantastic bench option for us right now, and will likely be a great starter down the line.
    Nick Timoney: Will he every be a starter for us? I'm not sure, but he's a great versatile squad player to have. Has the occasional game where you're delighted to have him, but he's inconsistent and lacks a good rugby brain. By the time Reidy and Murphy are done with Ulster, I suspect younger players will have leapfrogged him in the pecking order.
    Greg Jones: Honestly don't know much about him, hasn't stood out and doesn't seem to be getting many chances. Don't think he'll ever become a starter for us, but will stay around the squad as we're not exactly overflowing with backrow talent.

U23
    Bill Johnston: Munster were happy enough to release him from his contract and they preferred Hanrahan, Bleyendal & co. The thinking was probably that his career had stalled, he was spending too much time injured, and Munster had too many 10's with three exciting young talents who will need game time down the road. Ulster were obviously in a position to offer him plenty of minutes and I think he's gone from strength to strength for us. It'll be good to have Johnston and Burns pushing each other for the starting jersey, and I reckon Johnston may win the battle somewhere down the line.
    Rob Lyttle: Incredibly talented and a joy to watch, but just spends too much time injured. One of the most natural players in the squad and he always beats the first man - but don't think he has the talent to overcome his size disadvantage at international level. I actually see him being leapfrogged by other players for Ulster as his injuries take a toll, but he'd be a fantastic squad option to have at wing and fullback if he can stay healthy.
    Adam McBurney: Too small for higher honours but could be a decent player for us for a long time if he cuts the stupid penalties out. And he really really needs to do just that, because his carelessness is a game changer right now. Tom Stewart should win his jersey quick enough once he progresses to senior rugby.
    Jacob Stockdale: His form has taken a dive on a misfiring Ireland squad and is a popular fall-guy among the jealous southerners, but his talent is undeniable. Is it just be or has he lost his change of pace this year? He never had great top end speed but his acceleration used to be better. Key player for our success as he almost dragged ulster through the group stages himself last year.

U22
    Jack Regan: Not really sure he's got much of a future with us given his lack of game time to date, not like we've got an abundance of great options anyway.
    Robert Baloucoune: Already in the Ireland sqaud, just like we all predicted. If he can improve his defensive frailties, he will be destined for higher honours. Honestly my favourite player, I love how quick he's turned his career around. Went from despairing that some lad who played 7's got taken into the academy as players like Bowe and Trimble were leaving, to being outraged that he hasn't picked up his first cap. I reckon he'll make the 14 jersey his own for a number of years.

U21
    Angus Curtis: Unlucky injury for the lad just as he was beginning to see more game time. I see him as a 10/12 hybrid like Olding, but he's about half as talented and I don't see him ever making either position his own with us given our other options. Hope he sticks with us though.
    James Hume: Thought he went very under the radar on a bad Ireland u20 team, but he's always had the intangibles to make it. I think he'll be a main centre option for us as McCloskey and Marshall wind down. He's really impressed me with his feet before contact and the meters he makes after it. His passing can be wild and Luke Mashall-esque, and his defence needs to be much improved to ever play for Ireland. I expect him to be a great player for us though.
    Johnny Stewart: Rumour that he might be leaving. Gotten very little game time over shanahan which says a lot, and we've just signed another 9. Finlay and Doak would probably be replacing him soon enough anyway.
    Mike Lowry: Really fun to watch, but I do wonder about the length of his career with his size and fearless style of play. Would love to see him carve out a career because he's just so talented. Stick him at 9.
    Tom O'Toole: Surprise call up to the Ireland squad which was great to see. He'll be really impotant for Ulster as Marty Moore winds down.

U20
    Ethan McIlroy: Not the biggest but very strong in contact for his size and hits hard. Really fun to watch - great feet and loves offloading out of contact. Think he'll jump ahead of Lyttle, Lowry and Kernohan and push for a starting spot after a few years.
    Azur Allison: Possibly a future starter. Really talented but I think he'll need to improve the gritty part of his game to become a more effective backrower at the higher level.
    Stewart Moore: Probably one of the most talented players in the squad imo and great all-round prospect. Got a lot of praise from players and coaches during pre-season last year, and Luke Marshall said he's the most talented back he's seen come through the schools system in Ulster. Think he'll nail down the 13 jersey in a few years, and he'll pick up caps down the line as well.
    Angus Kernohan: Don't think his prospects at Ulster are great but might be able to make a career here due to the fact our backs are made of chocolate. Too many players who are a cut above him in the squad right now, and he'll have to compete with younger lads coming into the academy.

Some great insight there.

You mention defensive frailties for Balacoune. I haven't seen this at all. In fact I think he is an excellent defender. Also I think Hume's passing is pretty good, I wouldn't compare it to Marshall at all.

Having said that I have a feeling you have seen a lot more of the young players than I have, but those are just a couple of observations based on what I've seen.

But great write up anyway, not overhyping anyone and some good constructive insight into the players.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Balacoune is amazing in defence. Like properly amazing.

Big, big fan of him in general. Really think he's a far more complete player overall than the likes of Stockdale, just doesn't have that special something that Stockdale has when it comes to scoring.

awec wrote: »
    Balacoune is amazing in defence. Like properly amazing.

Big, big fan of him in general. Really think he's a far more complete player overall than the likes of Stockdale, just doesn't have that special something that Stockdale has when it comes to scoring.

To be fair Balacoune is scoring plenty this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

bilston wrote: »
    Some great insight there.

You mention defensive frailties for Balacoune. I haven't seen this at all. In fact I think he is an excellent defender. Also I think Hume's passing is pretty good, I wouldn't compare it to Marshall at all.

Having said that I have a feeling you have seen a lot more of the young players than I have, but those are just a couple of observations based on what I've seen.

But great write up anyway, not overhyping anyone and some good constructive insight into the players.

The poor defence was tongue in cheek, as a few posters on the Ireland thread brought it up as an area of concern for him. Probably his best attribute.

Hume is a decent passer, but I seem to recall him throwing a few wild ones when he’s throwing a long one, but that might just be me being overly critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

U25's

U24's

U23

U22

U21

U20

Very nice summary.

I think Timoney might end up being a Diack 2.0 player for us - not in terms of style, but in how he fits into the squad. Often present, reliable, never first choice.

EOS has stalled a bit this season, but I think it's because McGrath has come in, and become first choice (presumably because he's the better scrummager, and all sides are keen to see if he can get back to where he was with more game time). But last season I thought he might start featuring in Ireland training squads this season. Will be disappointed if he doesn't get at least a few caps in green.

Curtis started quite brightly, but this is the second season in a row that has been over for him by half way through. (Last season because of a run of concussions.) So I am worried about his durability.

Agree on Lowry - so talented, most likely too small.

Presumably Allison got his cap against Leinster because Marcus Rea was injured - I'd really like to see him feature in the last third of the season. Strong, aggressive player.

Dalton must have had his chance and not shown enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭launish116

Forgetting David McCann at U20 and he is going have a big future.

Looking forward to seeing a homegrown backrow of McCann, Allison, Rea Jnr in a few seasons time.

All in all in several seasons we could have a squad sorted for the next decade!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Regan has been surprisingly poor I assume. Especially with David O Connor leap frogging him. Regan has good size too! Dalton has completely fell off the grid. Not a good sign. I think Dowling would be a good shout, if he doesn't go to Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Regan has been surprisingly poor I assume. Especially with David O Connor leap frogging him. Regan has good size too! Dalton has completely fell off the grid. Not a good sign. I think Dowling would be a good shout, if he doesn't go to Connacht.

He is going to Connacht

I've been watching Ryan Baird tonight. Hendy is going to have to really lift his game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I've been watching Ryan Baird tonight. Hendy is going to have to really lift his game!!

In fairness it’s ridiculously early days but he looks like a talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Baird doesnt play for Ulster. Henderson is safe.

:P

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sure if Baird takes his place the upshot is we'll see Henderson play for Ulster more often.

Sure if Baird takes his place the upshot is we'll see Henderson play for Ulster more often.
    Bingo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Not if he is on the bench.. 3rd choice lock still several restricted from provinces during internationals.

damianmcr wrote: »
    Baird doesnt play for Ulster. Henderson is safe.

:P

I'm thinking more along the lines of us getting more access to him which is why I mentioned it here.

Anyway, early days for Baird, but he does look rather good.

Not a bad weekend for Ulster. You'd nearly take the 2 points and not play Trevisio would you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Only extended last year until 2022, so unless the Bulls are going to buy the rest of the contract out and Ulster are willing to let it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Only extended last year until 2022, so unless the Bulls are going to buy the rest of the contract out and Ulster are willing to let it happen.

Not sure how the Bulls would have the money

Coetzee is probably on 200k+ a year. As mentioned he is in the first year of a 3 year deal.

I'd be surprised if this happened

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Will be live streaming of both school cup semis per Ulster Rugby website.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Dan Tuohy interview on Off the Ball tonight (Newstalk).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ulster senior cup final being streamed live now on facebook

Ulster senior cup final being streamed live now on facebook

Cracking game.

Happy to see Armagh win, however their match winning try was largely thanks to some blatant crossing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Cracking game.

Happy to see Armagh win, however their match winning try was largely thanks to some blatant crossing!

Such an exciting game, great to watch, good quality of rugby. But...... definitely crossing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭launish116

Jack McGrath signed up for another two years!

Advertisement